Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There wasn't any sound, he kept messing up, no one was talking to him so it was just him in silence providing solo commentary while embarrassing himself in front of 4000 people :smith:

edit: the kid doin the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's okay, Nes is a big boy and also he did a wicked backflip in front of more streamwatchers at AGDQ one year so it's all good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wow, I'm just watching Cosmo's all medallion run now. Somehow explaining exactly what he's doing makes it no less bizarre.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Wow, I'm just watching Cosmo's all medallion run now. Somehow explaining exactly what he's doing makes it no less bizarre.

Overall, I think I enjoyed this marathon more than the AGDQ ones mainly because the runners were able to explain what was going on without anyone talking over them.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Super Mario RPG finale coming up, MAD HYPE http://numbersmw.com

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cyghfer better win. :911:

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Cyghfer better win. :911:

He sat on the title screen for 25 seconds even though Go1den counted down from 10 and said go twice :staredog:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Stream went down due to Flash crashing apparently, and now its back up with Cyghfer in the lead. :patriot:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So somehow Cyghfer passed 0xwas while the stream was down? :tinfoil:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think speedruns are pretty cool but I don't really enjoy them if there's isn't any sort of commentary involved. I like knowing what they're doing, and how it saves time, and stuff like that. Straight-up gameplay videos don't hold my attention very well.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

YggiDee posted:

I think speedruns are pretty cool but I don't really enjoy them if there's isn't any sort of commentary involved. I like knowing what they're doing, and how it saves time, and stuff like that. Straight-up gameplay videos don't hold my attention very well.

They can get pretty exciting when someone is on a run on pace for a WR. But on just a regular run, I absolutely agree.

As much as many seem to hate it, it is really Cosmo's personable nature that makes his stream get so many viewers.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Main marathon over, but Funkdoc mentioned something in chat about a bonus stream. Both guys in the SMRPG race finished under three hours, which according to Funkdoc "only like 5 ppl have ever done that."

ChipIn is showing $10.6k, with $6k going to getting guys to AGDQ and $4.6k going to charity.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Nice, the first game of Bonus Stream time is Paper Mario by iateyourpie!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Thanks to everyone for their support of the marathon! We hit about $11,000 at the end of the marathon (5k going to Prevent Cancer Foundation), peaked around 5500 viewers, and it was a great time for all involved. There's some really standout runs that I'll be sure to post when they're highlighted. If you donated for a prize, we'll (hopefully) announce winners during the bonus stream. I also enjoyed getting globally banned from twitch's chat servers for the first time.

https://www.numbersmw.com

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Nice, the first game of Bonus Stream time is Paper Mario by iateyourpie!
If the prospect of a 4 hour rpg run seems daunting to sit through, Sn64 and pie's regular viewers are keeping it interesting with all manners of gifs based on apparent in-jokes from his stream, and lack of context certainly doesn't hurt them.

"Now if this badge shop doesn't have the Speedy Spin badge, it'll cost me 2 minutes regenerating the shop list-"

http://imgur.com/a/98V3k
~~(_°<°_)~~
~~(_°っ°_)~~
~~(_°⊃°_)~~

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 5, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Paper Mario is actually really interesting to watch so far. Lots of good commentary and discussion. I haven't actually watched a Paper Mario run before; does this game have any major or semi-major skips?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Ahahahaha, paper mario run got the marathon curse pretty hard. Gettin' destroyed by the RNG.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Suspicious Dish posted:

Paper Mario is actually really interesting to watch so far. Lots of good commentary and discussion. I haven't actually watched a Paper Mario run before; does this game have any major or semi-major skips?

It has some decent skips, especially later in the run. Just keep watching and Pie will show them off and talk about them for sure. Pay close attention in Chapters 5 and 7, especially.

Also here's a shameless plug, but a lot of the time when Pie streams runs I'm in the Skype call with him (they call me Tyrone for silly reasons) along with folks like Toes, Neskamikaze, Rainbowism, and others. We generally joke around and have a good time with the viewers. If you're interested to see more Paper Mario runs like this, give Pie a follow at http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

I haven't actually watched a Paper Mario run before; does this game have any major or semi-major skips?
To add to what Sn64 mentioned, the game overall has qualities that make it a good speedrun candidate. RPGs are notorious for being very luck-based with random encounters causing you to take longer through certain areas, whereas Paper Mario you can not only see encounters but open fights with guaranteed surprise attacks where you couldn't otherwise. Most of the run also uses a badge that gives you a huge power boost that requires you to be at 1hp to activate, so there's a lot more emphasis on reacting to enemy attacks to avoid damage whereas other rpgs you just take hits and can't do anything about it. It goes a long way with the game's action command system to allow for a pretty high skill ceiling for a genre where most of the time your strategy will be "mash attack and hope it works".
Also, it says a lot for the game and iateyourpie that he's gotten so good at it in basically a month or two maybe of practicing the game with the SDA N64 crew.
It's certainly a lot better than his humble beginnings having to adapt to not being able to automatically abuse the Power Rush badge against Bowser.
http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/b/332671481?t=6h32m
(if link doesn't have sound, the segment starts here at 6h32m into the video)
http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=332671481

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

drat, Pie's still not used to the N64 controller enough to do the Chapter 5 "Half Baked Pie Jump". There's another skip coming up in a little bit that he'll definitely get, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

drat, Pie's still not used to the N64 controller enough to do the Chapter 5 "Half Baked Pie Jump". There's another skip coming up in a little bit that he'll definitely get, though.

... the clip that took him 6 tries or so?

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
The marathon was awesome. Tons o' fun watching it all weekend and doing my one run. Everybody is so chill and great and its nice to not see raging shitheads yelling at video games.

Now, on http://numbersmw.com is not only the bonus stream, but the schedule is replaced by a link to every player's stream that participated in the marathon. So if you were too lazy to do it before, get to followin' :woop:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Suspicious Dish posted:

... the clip that took him 6 tries or so?

Yeah, I've never seen him need more than two tries. I think it's a combination of him being tired and still being a bit nervous streaming in front of a crowd 10x bigger than he's ever had before.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh god I can't help but be a dumb idiot in the Twitch chat, what have I become?

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Studio posted:

If FrankerZ is wrong then I don't want to be right. :colbert:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Came for the ~~(_°<°_)~~, stood for the #MOESHA and TriHard

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Where is a stream to this event that appears to be happening? I appear to be retard and can't find it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

pixaal posted:

Where is a stream to this event that appears to be happening? I appear to be retard and can't find it.

http://www.twitch.tv/smwmarathon

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Romscout's playing Rockman X3 (some sorta demake of it, anyway) on the bonus stream: http://www.numbersmw.com/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Could someone give me a timestamp to where Pie started the Paper Mario run? Or is that not archived yet?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

flatluigi posted:

Could someone give me a timestamp to where Pie started the Paper Mario run? Or is that not archived yet?

Basically right at the start of this archived segment: http://www.twitch.tv/smwmarathon/b/338164191

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Studio posted:

when you reach enough chat activity discussion becomes impossible and you really dont have to feel bad about posting a dog face every thirty seconds anymore

The marathon was good overall and had some high points, but the commentary from the super mario 64 race on was pretty bad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Peaches is doing Eltale Monsters (JP Quest 64) low% right now while kirkQ just started a Quest 64 any% run on the marathon stream.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Why is peaches just hitting all the bosses to death? It makes him look like a special needs magician.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

YOURFRIEND posted:

Why is peaches just hitting all the bosses to death? It makes him look like a special needs magician.

He needs to conserve his MP for healing, and right now his lovely water pillar doesn't do that much damage anyway.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If you all aren't watching these Quest 64 runs, what is wrong with you??? kirkQ is on pace to beat his own any% WR, and Peaches had to deal with an almost run-ending glitch with a boss clipping off the path and over a pit. Get in there and cheer them on: http://www.numbersmw.com/

Edit: The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away :negative:

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 5, 2012

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I really can't fathom how peaches or anyone could take the tediousness of this run.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you all aren't watching these Quest 64 runs, what is wrong with you??? kirkQ is on pace to beat his own any% WR, and Peaches had to deal with an almost run-ending glitch with a boss clipping off the path and over a pit. Get in there and cheer them on: http://www.numbersmw.com/

Edit: The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away :negative:

That was heartbreaking. :cry:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

SUPERMAN 64 TIME BOY HOWDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

SUPERMAN 64 TIME BOY HOWDY
Ok, I don't think I remember any video option in any console game that lets you shrink the screen resolution, especially not to this extent. I can understand it's to make the game run smoother but holy toledo. :psyduck:

• Locked thread