Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That ItCotKC album art is crazy good. loving Chippendale brothers...

On a side-note, probably aimed directly at Surfingelectrode, has anyone ever gotten ahold of that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots commentary that there apparently exists? I have the At War with the Mystics commentary and it's neat, but the Yoshimi one sounds cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
That King Crimson cover album is now out and has made its way online if you know where to look. It's really loving good... I like it a lot. Linear Downfall's cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man is killer. I think Stardeath said they'd sell some copies online after their tour ends at the end of the week, so I'll let you guys know when.

The band's Halloween show in OKC was last night. The setlist was really generic, other than a cover of Tubular Bells (?), but it was the formal debut of the new stage setup, which is basically a long row of video tubes behind the band and a rectangular video wall in front of them that moves up and down. Personally, I thought the Emerald City setup that they used in Big Sur last month was way cooler, but whatever.

Setlist was:

Sweet Leaf
Worm Mountain
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Tubular Bells
Ego's Last Stand
Is David Bowie Dying?
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Waitin' for a Superman
See the Leaves
Lazer Hands
Drug Chart
Pompeii am Götterdämmerung
What is the Light?
The Observer

Do You Realize??

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Surfingelectrode posted:

The band's Halloween show in OKC was last night. The setlist was really generic, other than a cover of Tubular Bells (?), but it was the formal debut of the new stage setup, which is basically a long row of video tubes behind the band and a rectangular video wall in front of them that moves up and down. Personally, I thought the Emerald City setup that they used in Big Sur last month was way cooler, but whatever.

Ha, that's basically the same set up Nine Inch Nails had in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ4RsIw4Cg4&t=50s

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got any pictures of the Emerald City one? I haven't seen it.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

WASDF posted:

Got any pictures of the Emerald City one? I haven't seen it.

Here's one:

I think the new setup will be cooler once they really transition into it. Last night's show was basically a normal standard show, with the same old entrance and gimmicks and stuff. I'm really hoping it gets changed up around the time the album drops in a few months.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Here's the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Commentary without the actual album attached to it. Just the commentary. http://www.mediafire.com/?id4h2srjwzrdrd5

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Jesus christ this cover of 21st Century Schizoid man...

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
I have the yoshimi commentary album. It has them talking over each track explanining things and then they play the song again wihout commentary. It is pretty cool, Yoshimi is easily my favourite record by them.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Am I the only one who would lose literally no sleep if they never played Do You Realize live again?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'd react the same way. I went to Canada with some people to see them at Rifflandia this year and everyone was like "I love The Flaming Lips! They're so good!" and then the only thing they ever paid much attention to was Do You Realize. Kind of irritating.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Can't wait for that King Crimson record to go on sale... I need it. It's so good.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sporadic posted:

Ha, that's basically the same set up Nine Inch Nails had in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ4RsIw4Cg4&t=50s

The world is getting smaller every day :rimshot:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WASDF posted:

Jesus christ this cover of 21st Century Schizoid man...

Not sure if we heard the same thing (I found a live version just by searching it on youtube), but I found it kind of underwhelming. Kind of a neutered, generic version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Also really don't like the lady's voice or inflection. Hopefully the album version will be much better because they can do such better things with that jam out part in the middle of the song than just thrashing some guitars together.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Must've been very different because the album version is super crazy psych-synthy and cool.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

crankdatbatman posted:

Not sure if we heard the same thing (I found a live version just by searching it on youtube), but I found it kind of underwhelming. Kind of a neutered, generic version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Also really don't like the lady's voice or inflection. Hopefully the album version will be much better because they can do such better things with that jam out part in the middle of the song than just thrashing some guitars together.

Yeah, the whole thing sounds a mess. I love the Lips, I love In the Court..., I loved what they and Stardeath did with The Dark Side of the Moon, but I did not love this.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

You can hear actual album version (and the rest of the songs) here.

I like the whole thing a lot. It's a fun album.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
After listening to "Epitaph" I really, really, want a copy of this.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The King Crimson album is now streaming over at Satellite Heart Radio:

http://www.satelliteheartradio.com/

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Anyone seeing these guys in Fayetteville, AR tomorrow? It's going to be my second lips show since New Years 07/08, so I'm pretty excited. I take it from that setlist they haven't played anything from the new album yet? The setlist looks great and all but I was really hoping to hear new material.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does anyone know why Kliph hates Dave Grohl so much? I keep seeing it brought up (Twitter, etc.) but have no idea why. Did Dave gently caress his girlfriend or something?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

leica posted:

Does anyone know why Kliph hates Dave Grohl so much? I keep seeing it brought up (Twitter, etc.) but have no idea why. Did Dave gently caress his girlfriend or something?

Because Dave Grohl is terrible. That's about all there is to it.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I just got back from the show. The setlist was pretty standard but they rocked it. And they had great crowd interaction as always. Wayne started us off by pulling down his pants and showing us his hosed up leg wound. He also told us he'd give us a free show if we can pass our medical marijuana bill. Highly unlikely but even more incentive to hit the polls early tomorrow.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Epi Lepi posted:

Because Dave Grohl is terrible. That's about all there is to it.

Want to elaborate on that?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Happy Hippo posted:

Want to elaborate on that?

He makes music that I, and apparently Kliph, can't stand. There's no larger story, Kliph's just got opinions on music.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Surfingelectrode posted:

The King Crimson album is now streaming over at Satellite Heart Radio:

http://www.satelliteheartradio.com/

That is incredible.

Hating Dave Grohl is pretty ridiculous. The man is incredibly nice, an advocate for good things, and has made great albums in his side projects. Yes, the Foo Fighters are pretty generic now, but *hate* is a really strong word to say.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

That is incredible.

Hating Dave Grohl is pretty ridiculous. The man is incredibly nice, an advocate for good things, and has made great albums in his side projects. Yes, the Foo Fighters are pretty generic now, but *hate* is a really strong word to say.

Also strange that the hate would come from a fellow drummer- even if you hate his music you can't deny that Grohl can drum like a motherfucker.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

You can hear actual album version (and the rest of the songs) here.

I like the whole thing a lot. It's a fun album.

Ok see this is a lot better. I don't know what was with the live version I heard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

He makes music that I, and apparently Kliph, can't stand. There's no larger story, Kliph's just got opinions on music.

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard, thanks for your lovely opinion on what you think Kliph feels on the matter. Pretty sure Kliph is capable of respecting an artist (and fellow drummer) even though he doesn't prefer the music, so there must be something more to it than that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

leica posted:

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard, thanks for your lovely opinion on what you think Kliph feels on the matter. Pretty sure Kliph is capable of respecting an artist (and fellow drummer) even though he doesn't prefer the music, so there must be something more to it than that.

I have no idea why on earth you thing there must be something more. You could always just ask him. That's kind of how twitter works. It's really just him making GBS threads on Foo Fighters though cause they're not good. Ask him about Pink Floyd's The Wall if you wanna hear some of his other vitriolic opinions on music.

Been following Steven and Kliph on twitter for a couple years now, and it's pretty fun watching them just bitch out Grohl every once in a while.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Epi Lepi posted:

Been following Steven and Kliph on twitter for a couple years now, and it's pretty fun watching them just bitch out Grohl every once in a while.

I do too and I've never seen this. Examples?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Slackerish posted:

I do too and I've never seen this. Examples?

I've seen them have sarcastic back and forths about one lovely Foo Fighters song or another but I have no idea how to actually search twitter for that kind of thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I know because it's been implied, specifically by Steven on twitter but he didn't elaborate. I'm not going to ask him because why waste his loving time really, I've personally corresponded with Kliph before and he was cool so why bother him? I figured maybe surfingelectrode may know, but you can stop chiming in since it's obvious you don't.

[edit] Also the Foo Fighters are a decent band, not the greatest but for mainstream rock you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 6, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

leica posted:

I know because it's been implied, specifically by Steven on twitter but he didn't elaborate. I'm not going to ask him because why waste his loving time really, I've personally corresponded with Kliph before and he was cool so why bother him? I figured maybe surfingelectrode may know, but you can stop chiming in since it's obvious you don't.

[edit] Also the Foo Fighters are a decent band, not the greatest but for mainstream rock you could do a hell of a lot worse.

It's cool bro I asked him for you since you're afraid to bother the big rock star on Twitter. I just don't know why you see him tweet things like "Last time I bagged on talentless idiot Dave Grohl, I lost around 20 followers. Let's see how many I lose this time....."(https://twitter.com/KliphScurlock/status/137692844654723072) and think that there's something more to it than him thinking Grohl's a lovely musician.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you president of the Grohl Haters Club or something?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I thought Them Crooked Vultures pretty good.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

leica posted:

dude you're talking this really personally

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

leica posted:

Are you president of the Grohl Haters Club or something?

Not yet, but with a strong voter turnout I have hopes of achieving the presidency. :911:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slackerish posted:

dude you're talking this really personally

Not really, over it already.

If Kliph has an official response just post it, I don't check twitter much.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 6, 2012

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Thinking about it, do you think Flaming Lips ever did shows with Nirvana? Seems fairly plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Slackerish posted:

Thinking about it, do you think Flaming Lips ever did shows with Nirvana? Seems fairly plausible.

Nirvana opened for them a few times back in 1989.

That was before they got Dave Grohl, though.

• Locked thread