Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only time I see marines having a bad time of things is if their comm neglects upgrades, hive 2 skulks against unupgraded or minimally upgraded marines is a bit of a slaughter. Not to say that marines never lose, but it's always a good fight as long as they get those upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Alien hive was Atrium and we had a nice little base at Reactor without them really pressuring us. I researched GLs and armour 2 and was ready for a big push so I told everyone to phase to Reactor and get ready. But instead I had about 2-3 players run from Sub to Flight, which had some cysts in it but nothing else of interest and no power. Then this exchange happened:

:geno:: What are you doing at Flight Control? Get to Reactor. We're pushing.
:v:: Build a phase gate at Flight Control.
:geno:: What? There's nothing there. Get to Reactor.
:v:: No, build a phase gate here.

Then they started getting into a fight with some skulks and Reactor was starting to get pressured so I beaconed everyone to DC and told them to get weapons and phase to Reactor for the push.

:v:: You shouldn't have done that. They could drop a hive at Flight Control now.
:geno:: I don't care about that. We have a real chance to hit their main hive and take it down. There's not even any resistance there.
:v:: I just want it noted that I don't agree with your plan, commander.
:wtc:: You don't have to agree with me. Go hit Atrium.

We ended up taking Atrium down in very little time and sure enough the Aliens dropped Flight in a desperate bid to reclaim a 2nd hive but they never recovered. We eventually took Flight with no problems and won. I've just never really had my authority questioned before, and I didn't know whether to be amused or miffed.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I love that everyone calls their commander "commander". It definitely feels like I'm respected when my soldiers talk to me :smug:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I suppose. In this case it wasn't about being respected, it was about having a good plan and needing the team to follow through with it. I've never seen a marine backseat-comm like that before.

Haha I wouldn't call myself a good comm just yet, and I comm aliens far more often than for marines, but if you want to add me I'm AgentFlamze on Steam.
VVVVVVV

AgentF fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 6, 2012

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

AgentF what is your steam? I'd love to play a few matches with a good comm. I've got PM's too if you don't want to post it.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Xerxes17 posted:

AgentF what is your steam? I'd love to play a few matches with a good comm. I've got PM's too if you don't want to post it.

You never asked me for my steam :(

I'm a good commander

I win things. Many things.

Seriously, I've narrowed it down to two possibilities.

A: every single pub alien team sucks donkey balls
B: I'm the reincarnation of one of history's great military geniuses such as Wellington or maybe Hannibal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've been reading the last few pages of the thread worried someone was going to bitch about the absolute rear end in a top hat of an Alien comm they had on an EU Reactor yesterday. If anyone in the thread was unfortunate enough to have been playing under me: I was running on not a lot of sleep and had been having a run of lovely luck with matches and I'm sorry for yelling at you about the doubleres :ohdear:

Zo posted:

my friend told me to pretend the ground is lava
This is good advice. Especially in Reactor, when sometimes the floor is actual lava.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 6, 2012

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Gormless Gormster posted:

I was under the impression you lived in the UK. :v: If you're in Australia, please do give me your steam!

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
I'd love to play with some Aussies too as it'd be awesome to have good team mates/comms. My steam ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/Frozencry/ though I go by The Entire Somalian Population online :v:

Had an insanely good comm just then along with full blown co-operative team mates. We were on marines and completely dominated the Aliens from start to finish. Felt like I was in an Aliens film with all the team work.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Brother Scrotum posted:

Just had a game in Veil that proves that, in this game, team work trumps skill. With a good comm, we managed to lose literally everything except Cargo, sneak back into some surrounding areas and put up fast hives. After 45 minutes of battling over Nano, Cargo, and Control, we managed to garner enough Onos with Gorge support to take down their main base in Sub Sector. It was magical.

Had a real Mighty Ducks vibe, man. We were destined to lose due to what basically amounted to team stacking, but our pro-rear end comm saved our rear end with bone walls and me and another guy were some loving pro-rear end Gorges. In the last push, Team Gorge was all that was remaining, sliding passed dead Onos piles left and right. If we could have looked at each other and shrugged our stubby, little fat arms, we would have. We bile bombed the CC, and we died...

but that loving magical moment when the Marines lost their CC to beautiful, acidy damage-over-time seemed to take place in slow motion. "Aliens Win" appeared. Voice chat went nuts with excitement and laughter. Truly magnificent.

Haven't had a game experience that good since NS1. This game loving owns so goddamn hard sometimes.

So what do you do as a Gorge now? This is the one thing I'm not familiar with.

I need just general "the basics" of what it is to be Gorge now. I'm a good Alien Comm but all the things I used to love doing on my Gorge, they don't do anymore, so I'm just lost.

Zo posted:

Yea that was me for my first ten alien games. Then my friend told me to pretend the ground is lava and Always Be Climbing.

Your friend is very intelligent and I'm guessing devilishly handsome, too.

I actually prefer playing skulk to marine, because I've spent enough time as a skulk in the past and now that I have a higher chance at winning as a skulk. Generally as a marine, I can take 2 or 3 at a time. As a skulk, I just pick them off one by one and can go through 5 of them in about 90 seconds.

The trick? Don't be afraid to actually attack slow. Specifically, walk up to them so they don't hear you, bite 3 times. They die. Run away. Rinse and repeat- you become that fearsome God that changes games.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 6, 2012

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

I've had so many incredible moments I never thought I'd have again since NS1, over the last few days. Dumb marines not following orders. amazing teams winning the game more or less unassited by my comandering. Desperate hold outs that last for 40 minutes..

My favorite 'dum team' moment was on summit pushing crossroads. the whole team was about to push into their hive, it looked like a done deal.

"Great! can i have two guys go clear out reactor core, everyone keep pushing!"
research upgrades in base, hop back to the action
"What? GUYS IF I WANTED SIX PEOPLE IN REACTOR I WOULD HAVE SAID SIX!"

everyone had wandered off, aliens countered, forcing a beacon, they took a second hive. We lost reactor.

My favorite hero team game was a team that told me about everything going on before I noticed, followed orders, and pretty much won the game by looking after each other and playing like bamf pros. So swings and roundabouts.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Kinda let down that they still haven't found a way to make playing aliens more fun than playing as marines. Every single map change is a bunch of dudes standing around in the marine join room waiting for someone to go alien. I guess this is why old NS1 custom maps have rave music to dance to while they wait in the marine join zones and had AI to play the aliens for you.

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005

floor is lava posted:

Kinda let down that they still haven't found a way to make playing aliens more fun than playing as marines. Every single map change is a bunch of dudes standing around in the marine join room waiting for someone to go alien. I guess this is why old NS1 custom maps have rave music to dance to while they wait in the marine join zones and had AI to play the aliens for you.

This is crazy though. There is that small learning curve to it, but once you get used to even just Skulk, alien is a much more enjoyable play experience. I love being a giant rear end in a top hat on Lurk and picking off the guy slightly away from the group before running away to heal back up.

I think the problem is a bunch of people too scared to not play a straight up FPS.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

floor is lava posted:

I have found the exact opposite. Playing Aliens is way more fun and I have to sprint like a mad bastard to get into the Aliens team before it gets filled up.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Yep, basically just fear of something so different. Once you get the practice in, Skulking becomes one of the most fun things in any game ever. Don't listen to the "skill based movement" haters- good skulks can murder teams of mediocre marines by themselves. Aliens are Gods given the ability.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quaunaut posted:

So what do you do as a Gorge now? This is the one thing I'm not familiar with.

I need just general "the basics" of what it is to be Gorge now. I'm a good Alien Comm but all the things I used to love doing on my Gorge, they don't do anymore, so I'm just lost.
I felt the same way at first, but now I'm having a blast.

I put a semi-effort post up a couple of pages ago about what to do as gorge.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

quaunaut posted:

Yep, basically just fear of something so different. Once you get the practice in, Skulking becomes one of the most fun things in any game ever. Don't listen to the "skill based movement" haters- good skulks can murder teams of mediocre marines by themselves. Aliens are Gods given the ability.

I prefer and am much better at aliens but playing on a pub server with teams of 10 players or more is frustrating because it's hard finish games. No matter how much you yell at them to go for the power and use bile bombs, sometimes they just won't do what's necessary. On the other hand, those teams give me the opportunity to stat whore like crazy and rack up 3 digits of kills with 0 deaths.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Gormless Gormster posted:

I'm a good commander

I win things. Many things.

Seriously, I've narrowed it down to two possibilities.

A: every single pub alien team sucks donkey balls
B: I'm the reincarnation of one of history's great military geniuses such as Wellington or maybe Hannibal.

To be fair, Hannibal wasn't so much a tactical genius as that he was the first (non-Roman) person to really use tactics against Romans, and the Romans assumed he was just a dumb barbarian and as such would just meet them head on.

I had a great time in a pub server the other day where a helpful cool guy lead me through a match (with 4 or so people a team, not counting commanders) commanding, him informing me of what to do via voicechat while I fumbled like a idiot.

We won and I felt like I had a good grasp of how to command, so thanks Vultan, you awesome guy you.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 6, 2012

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Neurosis posted:

I prefer and am much better at aliens but playing on a pub server with teams of 10 players or more is frustrating because it's hard finish games. No matter how much you yell at them to go for the power and use bile bombs, sometimes they just won't do what's necessary. On the other hand, those teams give me the opportunity to stat whore like crazy and rack up 3 digits of kills with 0 deaths.
To finish games as aliens, you really have to tell your comm to save up enough for three onos eggs. Build em all at once, and yell at people until they take them all.

P-Funk
Jan 7, 2001

What kind of performance am I going to see in this game with a Core 2 Duo running at 3.8GHz and a GTX 480? I'm worried that if I buy it, it'll be terribly CPU limited and run like PlanetSide 2 is running for me: barely playable.

I'm not sure why I don't own the game already seeing as Natural Selection was the best mod for any game ever.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

P-Funk posted:

What kind of performance am I going to see in this game with a Core 2 Duo running at 3.8GHz and a GTX 480? I'm worried that if I buy it, it'll be terribly CPU limited and run like PlanetSide 2 is running for me: barely playable.

I'm not sure why I don't own the game already seeing as Natural Selection was the best mod for any game ever.

You should be able to get decent framerates out of it. I wouldn't go in expecting 60 fps at full settings, but you're way past playable.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've heard lots of positive buzz on this but being broke I'm holding off buying games for as long as possible.

Is it one of those titles that will improve after a couple of months of patches etc?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Jippa posted:

I've heard lots of positive buzz on this but being broke I'm holding off buying games for as long as possible.

Is it one of those titles that will improve after a couple of months of patches etc?

It's only gonna get better. The base game is already one of the best games of the year(ALERT ALERT BIAS I AM A LONGTIME FAN), and they're taking the old TF2 model- you buy the base game, everything from now on is free. New maps, new abilities, new whatever, free free free! Forever! Mwahahahahaa!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Gorges used to be the de-facto commanders of the alien team in NS1, now the building placement has been placed on two sets of slimy shoulders. Typically, when I attempted to alien-comm, I would go Crag first because it's a great way to set up very hardy defenses if you work intimately with your gorge-ouses. Pop down a few crags, usually near a res-node and have them hydra up near those choke points. I feel like this is the most natural synergy in buildings and causes the marines to consider weapon upgrades instead of armor upgrades to break 2crag+gorge+3hydra points.

I don't consider myself a good comm, but I rarely see any alien comms spamming nutrient mist on the creep to help their aliens out or rupturing cysts when marines push-hard.

In almost no circumstances, unless playing with a group, would I choose Stealth first.

At least with Energy you have the option to make an emergency nursery since the structure can spawn eggs around it... and adren compliments gorge efforts.

Yes, I agree that gorges in and of themselves, have a reduced role now, but if you can actually work with your commander or your gorgeous it can be more or less the same.
(it doesnt always happen. Pilot_Error as usual. Some of the horror stories I've seen are pretty amusing/depressing)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jippa posted:

It's pretty great right now unless you're one of the unlucky few afflicted with the red plug of death. If I were you I'd get in on the ground level while people are still learning, because once the community as a whole is more competent, being a newbie will feel a lot more difficult. But yeah, the game will definitely keep getting polished. UW is a one-patch-a-week type of company, and patches are almost solely focused on polish and bugfixing right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Foma posted:

Never upgrade to Xeno, it does nothing and people will accidentally kill themselves

Xeno is loving amazing for bad skulks. The number of times I've flailed around like a retard, not getting hit but failing to land bites on anyone when I could have xenocided instead is ridiculous.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kjoery posted:

To finish games as aliens, you really have to tell your comm to save up enough for three onos eggs. Build em all at once, and yell at people until they take them all.

Of course, but you also need to convince them to target the power. 2 onos and a couple of gorges work just as well, also, with less risk.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Xeno is loving amazing for bad skulks. The number of times I've flailed around like a retard, not getting hit but failing to land bites on anyone when I could have xenocided instead is ridiculous.

Xeno is loving amazing for good skulks. Usually my comm will ignore me asking for xeno asap (with good reason, not really something you want to waste time and res on but hey, it's a pub!) but after they watch me use it near the end of the game I'll more often than not have it done for me way earlier in the next game.

There are more opportunities to take out three marines at once in hallways than most people think.

How much damage does it do to buildings? Can you skulk rush a base and get everyone to xeno around a vital structure before you charge with a fade?

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something
God yes.

Just commanded an hour long game to a marine victory.

Join a game, team's flagging and losing hard, commander steps down due to stress. I step up, start giving orders, we swing it around dramatically. Within one hour I've brought the aliens from the verge of victory to BEING CRUSHED BY MY MIGHTY BOOT.

I owe it all to that Swedish guy who brought down an onos with a pistol. Your service will be remembered Duck_man.

Gormless Gormster fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Anybody on right now? I've got the day off and could use some skulking around to kill a bit of time but the serverlist is a wasteland right now.

Add me, Zigmidge, on Steam and come bask in my skill.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Played on an alien team where everyone was cooperating that went all camo skulk and we snuck into the enemy base and snipechomped their command station.

We then went all camo gorge and bile bombed their other command station.

Amazing.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Haha, I love Steam Workshop!

Cute Gorges? Yes please!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103989734&searchtext=

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Zigmidge posted:

Anybody on right now? I've got the day off and could use some skulking around to kill a bit of time but the serverlist is a wasteland right now.

Add me, Zigmidge, on Steam and come bask in my skill.

Bitch please

Being a tactical genius is tiring.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I know you know I know. That's why I take skulk breaks from commanding my plebes to victory.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My favorite early game strat as marine comm is to have my most competent marines park close to their starting hive, throw up an armory and force the aliens to constantly assault or defend around there while I have some noobies run around the rest of the map building all my stuff for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That is a severe ste backwards in gorge cuteness. I disapprove :colbert:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

I was going to post this in the bad mods thread but then I thought it wasn't funny enough. It's not "cute", it's a terrifying thousand-yard stare made by a furry.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
This game is amazing and I love love love it.

I wish I could marry it it's so much fun :colbert:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The healspray heart mod is great. Combine with the eyes mod for bonus :3:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102340684&searchtext=

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Is there any way to play this game on a mac?

• Locked thread