Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sheri posted:

Random question ladies.... Since Saturday evening I have been having sharp pulling pains in my lower left and right abdominal areas. It isn't constant, but it does happen frequently and the pain is quite sharp. I am 7 weeks 5 days. This is my only issue. I had an early ultrasound so I know it is not an ectopic situation. Any idea what could be the cause of this?

Ligaments stretching :)

I got it too, worst seemed to be when I stood up after sitting down for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

rangergirl posted:

Hopefully this is alright but I have a bunch of newborn baby boy stuff I don't need, we are not having any more kids, and I am older (33) so everyone I know either is done having kids, has tons of baby stuff already or they aren't having kids at all. If there is a new goon mom who needs or wants anything as far as newborn boy clothes, swaddling blankets (velcro type), a Moby wrap or for the love of God a snow suit since I have 6 freaking snow suits I would love for the stuff to go to someone who needs it. Anyone interested let me know!

I PMed you as well. Thanks for the offer!

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Hi thread! I'm only 12 weeks along, so I have a loooong ways to go.

Regarding baby names - my husband is really pressing for the name Charisma for a girl(and wants a boy named Dexter...). I think it's a good enough name, but everyone I mention it to tell me it's a stripper name. What do you guys think?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Wasn't there a Buffy character or actress with that name? I wouldn't pick it, but people will find reasons to complain about any name you pick.

I agree with whoever said names should have predictable spellings. Swapping out i's for y's and c's for k's (I know a little girl named Karsynn :rolleyes:) and other similar screwy names is ugly to me.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Alterian posted:

I'm realizing our bedroom is going to be too cold for a baby. We turn our heat down to 55-60 at night for the whole house. I'm thinking about investing in a space heater to just heat our room at night. I need to get a humidifier too because I already get really dried out myself, I can just imagine a baby!

I got this one from Lowe's and I'm pretty happy with it, because our nursery is at the very end of our heating system. Our power bill went up pretty noticeably though.

And yeah, a humidifier definitely makes things more comfortable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We might not need one that big. Its just for our bedroom at night. I'm in NC so it doesn't get too cold, but we don't want to pay to heat the entire house all night long for just one room / go around every night closing vents. We have an electric heat pump anyway for our heater so its not really a difference in price between electric and gas.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Chickalicious posted:

Wasn't there a Buffy character or actress with that name? I wouldn't pick it, but people will find reasons to complain about any name you pick.

The actress who played Cordelia, I believe.

We're in the final month stretch and trying to tie up all the loose ends we can before things go nuts. One thing that we haven't gotten around to putting together is infant/newborn first aid supplies. We'll have a visit with our pediatrician in the first week following delivery and I'm sure they'll be able to help us with this, but is there anything in particular that we should have on-hand before that?

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Argh. I ended up having to tell people much earlier than I wanted. I'm just 8 weeks today--my first OB appointment was scheduled for today, but I had to push it back till the 16th because my insurance won't kick in till this week. My plan was to tell my brother and sister in law after the appointment (they've been trying for 3 years and are doing IVF and it's basically all our family talks about/their whole life revolves around it) so they'd have time to handle it before I told the rest of the family at Thanksgiving.

On Halloween I had a lot of spotting, and had been cramping for a couple days. Of course it started after my OB was closed, so I called the ER at the OB hospital and they said I should come in. SEVEN HOURS LATER I was told everything was fine, I was 7 weeks 3 days, we saw the heartbeat and everything looked good.

Walking back into my parents house at 2:30 am, my uncle was in the kitchen getting a snack. (He has cancer and keeps very strange hours.) I was just going to play it off and not say a word, he's pretty out of it due to meds at night. My mom said, "Well, you have to tell him!" so I did (and he's deaf as a post and was high as a kite so it took like 10 min to get him to understand) and then my mom was freaked out that he knew and my brother and sister in law didn't know so she told me I should tell them tomorrow. My uncle told my cousin, who told his mom, the next day, so I wanted to make sure my brother and sister in law heard it from me... so I called him and told him and well he said, "Oh. Wow." and my sister in law hasn't said a word to me. Ugh. I told my other aunt/uncle and my 2 adult cousins because, again, can't have them find out through the grapevine!

I should've stood my ground and told people on MY timeline rather than my mom's, but everyone is so loving concerned about protecting my brother and sister in law's feelings that I just went along. I wanted to be considerate and kind to them but now I feel like I'm supposed to be sorry or apologize and I'm hurt and frustrated too. My aunts and uncles and my little cousin who is 12 or so are all excited so at least I feel SOME of the excitement/happiness in telling people part but this is a good example of What I Wanted to Avoid.

But I'm healthy, the baby seems to be fine. The rest will fall into place, it'll just take time I guess.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Ligaments stretching :)

I got it too, worst seemed to be when I stood up after sitting down for a while.

I was wondering if that is what it was. I called my doctor before making the post and she didn't seem super concerned, told me to take some tylenol if I wanted to, drink a lot of water, and give her a call if it didn't get better within a couple hours. Well, of course the couple hours after that I didn't notice it nearly as much, but now I'm starting to notice it more again (I didn't take tylenol).

I didn't realize that could happen so early on (although google leads me to a lot of similar stories). Most people say it happens when they move quick or stand up or cough or exercise or what not. Mine sometimes happens if I'm just sitting not doing anything. I'm assuming it could still be that?

Edit: And is this something I should expect from here on out? :)

sheri fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 5, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Alterian posted:

We might not need one that big. Its just for our bedroom at night. I'm in NC so it doesn't get too cold, but we don't want to pay to heat the entire house all night long for just one room / go around every night closing vents. We have an electric heat pump anyway for our heater so its not really a difference in price between electric and gas.

Two of the vents in our bedroom don't work, so our bedroom is always colder than the rest of the house. We use a space heater similar to that one (same brand, different model), and it's awesome. There's a timer on it, which turned out to be way more useful than I thought it would be. I set ours so that it automatically turns on and starts heating up an hour before we go to bed, and turns itself off an hour before we get up. It saves electricity and keeps me from being paranoid about forgetting to turn it off.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Dandy Shrew posted:

Had my first ultrasound today! It was very exciting seeing the kidneys and heart, and spine, and my god the little tiny feet. I got a bit emotional, as did Mr. Shrew. It's a boy :3:

Congrats!! :3:

sheri posted:

Random question ladies.... Since Saturday evening I have been having sharp pulling pains in my lower left and right abdominal areas. It isn't constant, but it does happen frequently and the pain is quite sharp. I am 7 weeks 5 days. This is my only issue. I had an early ultrasound so I know it is not an ectopic situation. Any idea what could be the cause of this?

I'm about 7 weeks, Another idea for cramping could also be gas, especially if you're already feeling crazy digestive symptoms...Especially if you're on anything for constipation.
I've had a fair bit of cramping overall, from anything and everything though :rolleyes:

I woke up at about 5AM this morning with HORRIBLE cramps..no idea what was up, but I got up and peed and just getting up and walking around made them go away immediately.

I'm a huge goon. I LOVE the name Jorah. For a boy or girl(Jora). Shockingly, my mom loves it too, and she is crazy picky about names and loves names. We always talk about names.
Obviously nothing is set in stone..but I'm gonna keep it on my list. I like unique but not far-out-ridiculous names. Really loathe super common names. My mom named all her four children pretty uncommon/unique names. And I think we all turned out pretty well, for the most part!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Alterian posted:

That sort is kind of large but they are good because they are extremely safe compared to most sorts of space heaters and they don't suck all the humidity out of the room the way most do. We use one to heat out bedroom and I'd definitely recommend it.

sheri posted:

I'm assuming it could still be that?

I think it started for me around 8 weeks. You can aggravate it by being active during the day sometimes apparently.

For me it was worst from 10-13 weeks or so and the last couple of weeks I've had a bit of a reprieve unless I do something like stretch my legs when waking up. I wouldn't be surprised if it picks back up for me later but it won't necessarily be a constant thing.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

sheri posted:

I was wondering if that is what it was. I called my doctor before making the post and she didn't seem super concerned, told me to take some tylenol if I wanted to, drink a lot of water, and give her a call if it didn't get better within a couple hours. Well, of course the couple hours after that I didn't notice it nearly as much, but now I'm starting to notice it more again (I didn't take tylenol).

I didn't realize that could happen so early on (although google leads me to a lot of similar stories). Most people say it happens when they move quick or stand up or cough or exercise or what not. Mine sometimes happens if I'm just sitting not doing anything. I'm assuming it could still be that?

Yeah, sounds like ligaments. It just started a few weeks ago for me, I'll be 26 weeks this week. Mine tend to happen when I'm just laying or sitting around and nothing really helps :( mine get really bad, a stinging, achy sensation. Lame.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 21, 2017

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Superdawg posted:

Every time I look through those "10,000 names" apps, I get inundated with just off the board names that I have literally no interest in even considering. I remember looking through the social security list last time, so I may pursue that again.

Try Nymbler. I didn't use it to name my son but it's been fun to play with. It's supposed to give you names similar to names you've told it you like.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
sudont, that sucks that you didn't get to break the news the way you wanted and that your brother and sister-in-law aren't taking it so well. It's a sticky situation and I hope everything works for the best.

We are having a hard time thinking of names. I want Leo for a boy in honor of my dad who passed away in February, but my husband doesn't like straight Leo and prefers Leon or Lionel (after the soccer player Messi). I really don't like either of those, so we might have to go with Leo for a middle name and a whole different first name if it's a boy. For a girl, I love the name Audrinna, but can't think of any other choices to choose from, and my husband isn't suggesting anything.

I am having a lot of hip pain at night. Any tips on how to help relieve it?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
For hip pain, have you tried a pillow between your knees when you sleep?

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
I usually sleep with the top leg bent and the bottom leg straight, so they aren't one on top of each other. I thought the pillow between the legs was to keep pressure from your top leg off your bottom leg (and hip). It's actually the top hip that will hurt and not the bottom one that is pressed against the bed. Anyway, I will try a different leg position with a pillow between my knees tonight and see if it helps.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I sleep with the top leg bent with a pillow under the knee and my stomach, and the bottom leg straight. If I don't use a pillow I start to get hip pain, I think the pillow helps keep the hip aligned better with my spine or something.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

We were considering Leon for our kid but went with Simon instead :)

I get hip pain a lot at night, used a regular body pillow at first and finally bought the Boppy body pillow a few weeks ago. The contour of the pillow really made a huge difference for me, comfort-wise. My hip still hurts but I just switch from side to side to keep from getting too sore. Sometimes keeping my top leg bent with my knee up toward my belly helps a little, but not much. And having a pillow under my belly is not at all comfortable :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

tse1618 posted:

I think the pillow helps keep the hip aligned better with my spine or something.

Yes, that's why the pillow is recommended.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Schweig und tanze posted:

And having a pillow under my belly is not at all comfortable :(

I miss sleeping on my stomach so much :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't want to get all e/n but are there any good resources for new grandmas and understanding their place in the family? My mom really needs professional help dealing with this, but I don't think she's going to do anything. I want to show her some things or some resources or something before I'm forced to just stop talking to her due to her lack of respect for me and my husband's decisions involving our family.

Its not about things like "oh you shouldn't bother breastfeeding", its more stuff like respecting our decision to have visitors how and when we want and dealing with the fact I'm a 30 year old married woman with my own family and she needs to deal with me not being a child anymore. She keeps screaming and crying "I'm your family! I'm your family! You don't want me in your family anymore!" I told her that she needs to get professional help and her actions are giving me a lot of anxiety about how she's going to act in front of my kid. I can deal with her being emotionally unstable and crazy, but I won't have her be like that in front of the kid. She's had chronic depression since I can remember (she's been held for evaluation a couple of times) and part of me really worries that she'll kill herself. She's made a couple of statements that could be suggestive, but not outright "I want to kill myself", but I have to stand up for myself and my family.

I really don't know what to do, but this is like a festering wound. I live 600 miles away or I would consider going to family therapy with her. Are there any good books I could give her? Websites I could show her?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Alterian posted:

I don't want to get all e/n but are there any good resources for new grandmas and understanding their place in the family? My mom really needs professional help dealing with this, but I don't think she's going to do anything. I want to show her some things or some resources or something before I'm forced to just stop talking to her due to her lack of respect for me and my husband's decisions involving our family.

Its not about things like "oh you shouldn't bother breastfeeding", its more stuff like respecting our decision to have visitors how and when we want and dealing with the fact I'm a 30 year old married woman with my own family and she needs to deal with me not being a child anymore. She keeps screaming and crying "I'm your family! I'm your family! You don't want me in your family anymore!" I told her that she needs to get professional help and her actions are giving me a lot of anxiety about how she's going to act in front of my kid. I can deal with her being emotionally unstable and crazy, but I won't have her be like that in front of the kid. She's had chronic depression since I can remember (she's been held for evaluation a couple of times) and part of me really worries that she'll kill herself. She's made a couple of statements that could be suggestive, but not outright "I want to kill myself", but I have to stand up for myself and my family.

I really don't know what to do, but this is like a festering wound. I live 600 miles away or I would consider going to family therapy with her. Are there any good books I could give her? Websites I could show her?

Jeez, that sounds stressful. If your mom doesn't understand personal boundaries and appropriate behavior to this extent, then I'm not sure that there's a book or website that'll get through to her. Is she that level of dysfunctional in other relationships and areas of her life? She may not be able to control her behavior, but she at least needs to try. You have a lot of power here - your presence in her life, and her access to your child are a powerful source of motivation. It sounds like you've started this conversation with her really well. Honestly, it's probably good that you're 600 miles away, because you can limit contact to what's appropriate by using the phone and email. I've struggled with this myself. Practice and have some lines ready for when you need to shut things down, without getting emotional. "This conversation doesn't seem like it's going anywhere positive. Let's talk later when we've both calmed down. CLICK." My dad can be emotionally volatile, but I've gotten better at standing up for myself and drawing that line of "this is how it's going to be". We're not as close as we used to be, but I no longer get routinely exposed to all the crazy and manipulation either. It's a trade I'm more than willing to make; you've got to protect your own mental health.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Yeah, there are grandparents magazines and books, and all of them will state clearly that the parents are the ones in charge, but I don't know if she'd listen to them. If you think she would, it might be worth a shot, but it sounds like she's really freaking out.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

At the risk of this getting way too E/N because it's something I've been dealing with myself: have you considered that there may be more than just depression going on? Your mom sounds a lot like mine, and we've recently become aware that my mother suffers from borderline personality disorder in addition to the depression that we already knew about. It has explained a lot of why we've had such trouble dealing with certain issues with her, including setting boundaries.

As difficult as it is, you may need to be very firm about refusing to be in contact with her if she won't respect your boundaries. My siblings and I have only recently drawn our line in the sand with my mom, so I'm not 100% sure how it will turn out yet, but we realized that we aren't helping her or ourselves by continuing to allow her to emotionally manipulate us and violate boundaries. And the issue became all the more important now that I'm pregnant and worried about the impact she could end up having on my child. I don't know if it's the right response to her behavior but it's the best we've been able to come up with.

I agree with MoCookies. You need to shut down conversations in which she gets out of control and start protecting yourself (and your child) from her emotional outbursts and manipulation.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001

Fo3 posted:

My partner just gave birth 6 hours ago to a boy (small baby, 2.6kg) as he was a bit premature and my partner had health issues.
They had to induce her because she suffers from anxiety and stress, (has done for most her life). She's 36 y/o and had high blood pressure, the baby not growing much any more and her losing weight. So the hospital wanted to act 2 weeks early. She has also suffered from insomnia the last 3 months.

When she tried breast feeding she couldn't get the hang of it. Lots of staff at the hospital tried to heap, but for obvious reasons, (her anxiety, tiredness, nausea, and the mid wifes and nurses saying that a few hours separation can cause difficulties on the first breast feeding attempt), any hints? At this stage she is just overwhelmed and can't process much - she knows what to do but can't think straight.

Of course I can't suggest anything, everything I suggest is going to be 'wrong' in her mind, even if I repeat exactly what the nurse said whatever I say is wrong and/or offensive, such is the lot of being a father, I'm dumb, I'm wrong, if I say it again I'll be punched in the head and pushed down the stairs etc, some know how it goes...
But when I go back to the hospital in holy poo poo 2 hours, being a public hospital they'll probably release her and the baby the same day. She was admitted Monday night at 11pm, induced on Tues 8am, started contractions at Tues 2pm, gave birth Tues 11pm, and now it's 5am Wed and she may be home by 4pm Wed.

Hi, Some others answered you, but I thought I'd chime in. I was in the exact same situation as you one month ago: baby induced two weeks early, my wife had a hell of a time getting the breastfeeding going and with the addition of our son being on the small side (2.3kg), we were under pressure to have no delays in an aggressive feeding schedule. My wife also tends to treat my advice as being of less value than pretty any one else even if I'm repeated verbatim the things our nurses, Dr, etc told us.

I'm sorry to say that there are no easy answers. The breastfeeding will work, it takes persistence. The baby changes so much so quickly that problems he has at one week will be gone and replaced by new challenges at two weeks. What got to us was that you'd put in so much effort and willpower into one meal, get it done and then realize that you had to start all over again in like an hour.

My advice is that your wife needs to be able to conserve her energy/morale/etc for the meals so you need to step in (along with friends/family but if they can't help without butting in and bothering your wife, they need to stay away) to do everything else. I took the brunt of all the crying, diapers, errands, etc so that she could recover and be able to face the next attempt at breastfeeding.

Again, for the eating, there's lots of tips for specific issues, but overall you need to be committed to working at it. Always make safe decisions, of course, like supplementing with a bottle or whatever your Dr recommends and monitor the diapers and other signs of hydration but you need to come to grips with the fact that you're learning a new skill under a time crunch and need to 'practice' 7 or 8 times a day and there's no days off. On the upside is that things do move really fast. In a couple of days you'll look back and be amazed at the problems you had that have now been resolved.

Here's my question for the thread: My son has a 'biting' problem when latching on for breastfeeding. He latches great now and has no biting issue when actually eating, it's the actual second when going from off the boob to on. Instead of just opening his mouth wide and letting the nipple in, he opens up and then starts making chewing motions. He's fast so my wife usually gets a couple of solid bites even when we're poised for action and move him on quickly. Any tips for this kind of situation? All the advice we've seen has been more around biting once a baby starts teething or for really serious clampdown type biting once latched. Thanks!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

EchoBase posted:

Here's my question for the thread: My son has a 'biting' problem when latching on for breastfeeding. He latches great now and has no biting issue when actually eating, it's the actual second when going from off the boob to on. Instead of just opening his mouth wide and letting the nipple in, he opens up and then starts making chewing motions. He's fast so my wife usually gets a couple of solid bites even when we're poised for action and move him on quickly. Any tips for this kind of situation? All the advice we've seen has been more around biting once a baby starts teething or for really serious clampdown type biting once latched. Thanks!

She might have over-active letdown and that's his way of restricting the flow: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
My son was circumcised today, and I feel like the worst mother in the world for it.

He's six weeks old. The reason it was done so late is because Tricare took forever to approve it and schedule it. I almost fainted while watching them do it. It looked excruciating, and all the reasons I thought of for getting it done were pretty quickly forgotten. I told my husband that if we have another child and it's a boy, I won't have it done. Aside from 'girls prefer circumcised penises' and 'it's more hygienic' I can't think of any reason it needs to be done. Maybe it wouldn't have been so awful if they'd been able to do it in the hospital right after he was born, but he's a bit older now and it was awful.

We're keeping him comfortable and clean, but I feel so guilty whenever he cries. He hasn't cried like this since he was first born. Ugh. :(

Also, I believe I started my period. Is it normal to get it so soon after giving birth? I thought women didn't get it for months afterward.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My brother felt so bad after getting his first son circumcised that they didn't do it for their second son. When I had my boy done 2 weeks ago it didn't seem that bad at all. Out of curiosity what method did they use? Our doctor used the clamp and a scalpel. I wonder if the plastibell method is more or less painful for them.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

CravingSolace posted:

Also, I believe I started my period. Is it normal to get it so soon after giving birth? I thought women didn't get it for months afterward.

Women who are exclusively breastfeeding generally don't get their periods, and even then, it varies. Some women who go back to work and pump can end up getting it back due to the separation from the baby, even if they pump at work. But once you aren't breastfeeding, it can happen at any time.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Hdip posted:

My brother felt so bad after getting his first son circumcised that they didn't do it for their second son. When I had my boy done 2 weeks ago it didn't seem that bad at all. Out of curiosity what method did they use? Our doctor used the clamp and a scalpel. I wonder if the plastibell method is more or less painful for them.

From what I saw, it was a clamp and scalpel. She injected a numbing agent into the base of the penis, waited until it was numb, then did it. She said he couldn't feel anything and was crying because his legs were tied down, but I'm not so sure about that. I still feel so guilty whenever he cries. It looked incredibly painful, and it's not like he could tell me that he was numb and not in pain. :(

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

CravingSolace posted:

My son was circumcised today, and I feel like the worst mother in the world for it.

He's six weeks old. The reason it was done so late is because Tricare took forever to approve it and schedule it. I almost fainted while watching them do it. It looked excruciating, and all the reasons I thought of for getting it done were pretty quickly forgotten. I told my husband that if we have another child and it's a boy, I won't have it done. Aside from 'girls prefer circumcised penises' and 'it's more hygienic' I can't think of any reason it needs to be done.

Here's an article talking about some of the more recent news on circumcision, and some arguments for an against.

tldr:
There's no not a reason that it needs to be done, but it's protective for a bunch of stuff. Various studies over the years have linked it to lower rates of HIV transmission during heterosexual sex, HPV, herpes, UTIs (in early life) and penile cancer. The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't go so far as to universally recommend it, but does state that the benefits outweigh the risks.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

CravingSolace posted:

It's a little early, but not abnormally early, since you said you'd stopped breastfeeding entirely. (If you'd never breastfed at all I don't think it'd even count as early.)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

The uterus is a fickle thing. My period started 10 weeks postpartum and we exclusively breastfed through six months and still breastfeed at 2 years. Since you stopped altogether, there's no reason to assume it's unusual.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

With both kids my period started the day it was due PP still matching up with my usual cycle (27 days after each birth and both kids were born around the same time my period was due) even though I was breast feeding both times.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better now. I wasn't sure if my lokia (sp?) flow had stopped and then started again, or if it was my period, but it's definitely the latter. I scrambled to get on birth control ASAP as a way to try to keep the endometriosis from coming back, and also as a way to not have hurrendous periods like I did in the past (lots of heavy bleeding and excruciating cramps).

Little guy is doing better today. He still cries from pain, but he's easily soothed and we give him a small dose of tylenol if it seems nothing is helping. The doctor who did it warned us that it would look ugly ("like his penis was run over by a truck") for a litte bit, and it does. No wonder the poor guy cries. I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure there's no sign of infection. I think that's my biggest worry, even though it's highly unlikely.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Something my LC also mentioned which I think is worth mentioning here is that sometimes baby boys will refuse to nurse up to two days after the procedure. So that's something to keep in mind if anyone is freaking out about their baby not wanting to nurse after they're snipped.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Did/does anyone else's kiddo hate sleeping in their cot through the day? Or did you have them with you in a bassinet/moses basket?

He's 6 weeks now and has always been fine at night time, will go down like a champ almost every time he gets put to bed. He doesn't even have to be fully asleep to nod off in there - I tend to feed then change then put down. Sometimes he's still 'aware' and just sort of chats to himself and wiggles/gets comfortable until he drops off - maybe 5-10 minutes.

But through the day he seems to hate it. You can put him down sleeping and he'll be down for 10-15 minutes top, before starting to squawk. Yet, pop him on the couch in one of those U-pillows and he'll snooze for ages.

I would like for him to sleep in there more through the day, he can be tired, yawning his head off but still will not sleep. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
I've been sleeping with a pillow under my knee the past few nights and it seems to be helping with the hip pain, so thanks everyone for the suggestion. I'm at 20 weeks today and starting to get my first real craving: decaf gingerbread lattes and actually anything gingerbread related. I don't know if being pregnant during Christmastime is going to be the best or worst thing food wise.