Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I clean my igniters I find that it takes forever to dry off enough to work again. I speed up the process by warming them up with a torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'd be amused to judge Rico and Doh's entries, but I might be too nice to actually be judgey. Like, I genuinely want everyone to win, and will try to see the best parts of what they've got to offer. Unless it involves salsa chicken.

@Allahu: Ew. Seriously? Ew. Has she at least /tried/ it with the veg being grated? She's not normally that picky.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Oh hell yes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
why is everyone grossed out by smooth borscht? I thought it was supposed to be smooth and velvety in the first place. I've only made it on my own without a real recipe reference though

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm on a plane on my way to Vegas. Any new spots I need to hit? Nobu is a definite, but I'm open to suggestions for other nights. Might try to hit Lotus of Siam, but may have trouble finding folks to dine with me.

fake edit: wifi on an airplane is like all the other futuristic promises: a disappointment in practice. Feels like dialup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You have to go to Lotus if you haven't been. It's really that good.

And I know I always say it but Bouchon still has the best breakfast in town, I think.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm on a plane on my way to Vegas. Any new spots I need to hit? Nobu is a definite, but I'm open to suggestions for other nights. Might try to hit Lotus of Siam, but may have trouble finding folks to dine with me.
Nobu is still great but suffers from lovely customers. I'd recommend a couple of other places instead. First possibility is Sen of Japan - the chef there is the guy who opened Nobu Las Vegas. He fixes some of the same dishes (including black miso cod), gets the same racingly fresh seafood, and the price is about half of Nobu's. The other possibility is RAKU which I'm pretty sure I've talked up in here before. Really, truly fantastic Japanese food, concentrated on (but not exclusively) grilled items. The standard of service and quality of food is unimpeachable and, again, it's off-Strip so the price is significantly lower.

As far as other places:
- It's the second weekend of the month, which I think means it'll be time for another Saturday Night Truck Stop brawl. I went on an off week and it was kind of a bust, but the competition weeks are apparently quite good. It doesn't get very busy until around midnight, but if you're up late Saturday night it can be a decent place to drop in.
- If you want ramen, do Monta. It's two doors down from RAKU and well worth the inevitable wait. Get the pot stickers too, they're made fresh to order and easily the best in town.
- Do something in the Cosmopolitan. All of the third-floor restaurants are good, so it's really a matter of what you're in the mood for.
- I don't know if you get really good tacos at home, but Tacos El Gordo (the original Charleston location) is fantastic. They have Strip and Downtown locations that might be okay, I don't know. I make the extra drive to Charleston.

Wiggles is right about both Lotus and Bouchon. At Lotus get the nam kao tod, tom kha kai, and whatever else strikes your fancy. Bouchon's quiche is nearly three inches thick and light as a feather, their french toast is more like a tower of delicious bread pudding, and everything else on their menu is great.

I can probably think up some other recs too if you have specific things you want to eat. Throw me a PM if you need a dining partner.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 6, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

pile of brown posted:

why is everyone grossed out by smooth borscht? I thought it was supposed to be smooth and velvety in the first place. I've only made it on my own without a real recipe reference though

Expat eastern european here. No, that poo poo needs straight up hunks of beet in it. Sometimes people grate one of the beets. Pureed borscht is a travesty.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

An observer posted:

Pureed borscht is a travesty.

What if you call it beetroot soup?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Borshtsch may well be fine-grained, most of the plain versions I've had have been finely grated beetroot and other vegetables simmered in stock, and the Polish chlodnik is often very smooth indeed. Ukraina borschtsch is like a chunky meat soup with everything in it, but it's not the only version although it is certainly the most famous.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Scientastic posted:

What if you call it beetroot soup?

Oh well then, that's fine. I mean borscht is a specific dish, but beetroot soup is like a category of soups with beet in it, yes?

Then again borscht could be like chili where people have heated battles over how it should be made, and all that.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This is a good read, and goddammit do I want me some hot, meaty beetroot-red broth right now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/mar/15/foodanddrink.travelfoodanddrink

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Proper borsch (to me) needs hunks of beet, potato, onion, cabbage, and meat, maybe some carrots but not too many. You also need smetana and dill. Fantastic stuff, super filling. My Ukrainian friend describes her borsch as 'everything but the kitchen sink.'

However, my mum, who grew up Jewish in America in the 1950's and 1960's, remembers 'borscht' as something that you ate cold out of a Manischevitz jar. I find it completely disgusting, but she thinks it's delicious.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

That was interesting, thanks. Basically this is what it's like where I'm from: Beets (either chunks, or grated, or both), potatoes, meat. Sour cream and parsley/dill at the table. The broth shouldn't be clear or watery.

We also have a cold borscht, but it's not exactly the same: Beets, cucumbers, a ton of sour cream (enough to turn the entire dish an unnatural-looking pink). Dill and green onion at the table and a hardboiled egg sliced into the bottom of the bowl before pouring the soup. Also often eaten with a hot potato. Only soup I can call "refreshing". Personally I like it more than hot borscht.

Grushenka posted:

However, my mum, who grew up Jewish in America in the 1950's and 1960's, remembers 'borscht' as something that you ate cold out of a Manischevitz jar. I find it completely disgusting, but she thinks it's delicious.

I've seen jars of this at safeway. Disgusting :barf:

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
Yeah, jarred borscht is part of the overwhelming bland horror that is Ashkenazi food.

an observer, I've never heard of borsch like that cold one, but I'm a bit of a doofus anyhow. I know that when I was in Russia I often had okroshka, but that doesn't have beets. Yours sounds like something they have in the Baltics?

edit: there is cold borsch in Russia but it wasn't ever served to me like that when I was in Moscow and St. Petersburg, but again, I may have just missed out because I was stuffing my face with plov.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Yep, that's exactly it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht#Cold_borscht

Frikkin delicious.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I'm going to have to make some cold borsch soon to make up for my missing out on it in Russia, despite the weather.

I'm tempted to make an effortpost/thread for borsch. Would be a nice way to spend my Sunday.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

That's a pretty great idea. Maybe we should have an eastern european cuisine thread or something?

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

An observer posted:

That's a pretty great idea. Maybe we should have an eastern european cuisine thread or something?

I'd definitely be down for that. I'll probably only have time to do it (the borsch and the thread) on the Sunday, to be fair. It'd be nice to have a catch-all thread for stuff. :)

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Eastern European Cuisine - Why is my toilet red.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Hahahaha, that's perfect. I can try to write up an effortpost for my country, but I've never made an effortpost before -- is there a good example of one on GWS someone could link me to?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu come tell your beet story.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

An observer posted:

Hahahaha, that's perfect. I can try to write up an effortpost for my country, but I've never made an effortpost before -- is there a good example of one on GWS someone could link me to?

http://tinyurl.com/cdv2faq

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

An observer posted:

The 'Dreaming of India' thread that Yiggy did was great, but I think it's in the archives now.

I'm not actually Russian--I've studied it for awhile--but there's also lots of other posters across the forums who are actually Russian and could also put in their two cents. I'd gladly do a borsch recipe and perhaps some Ashkenazi (Eastern European Jewish) cuisine since I am actually Ashkenazi. It's usually pretty similar to Russian/Ukrainian/Polish/etc. cuisine, but everyone could do with a good cholent recipe, I think.

edit: You could call it 'Not Just Vodka and Potatoes: The Eastern European Food Thread' or some such.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Grushenka posted:

Proper borsch (to me) needs hunks of beet, potato, onion, cabbage, and meat, maybe some carrots but not too many. You also need smetana and dill. Fantastic stuff, super filling. My Ukrainian friend describes her borsch as 'everything but the kitchen sink.'

This is basically my preferred borscht. I compromised, and pureed up the beet, carrot, and onion, and left the cabbage and potato intact. It's not perfect, but it's tasty enough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

This is a good read, and goddammit do I want me some hot, meaty beetroot-red broth right now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/mar/15/foodanddrink.travelfoodanddrink
That's a fantastic article. I read The Guardian regularly but missed this.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Great googly moogly.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bartolimu posted:

Great googly moogly.

That. That was fantastic :stare:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Speaking of beet soups, there's this Polish variant of borscht/barszcz that's basically a fermented beet broth. Anyone have a recipe that includes a traditional approach to the fermentation instead of just faking it with vinegar?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Great googly moogly.

Mrs. Gunderson for GWS Philosopher Queen.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
That was about the funniest drat thing I've seen in GWS, awesome

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
That's why I'm saying we just need to hold a vote for second place. Because there is no way in hell anyone is going to beat that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grushenka posted:

I'd definitely be down for that. I'll probably only have time to do it (the borsch and the thread) on the Sunday, to be fair. It'd be nice to have a catch-all thread for stuff. :)

Sure, catch-all thread is nice, but making a specific Borscht thread would be great, especially since winter is coming soon, and the heartier soups really help get through those horrible cold days.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Thank gently caress for that. Well done, America (or a small majority thereof).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
four more years

of drone strikes

no matter who you vote for

:patriot:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

four more years

of drone strikes

no matter who you vote for

:patriot:

:eng99:

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

dino. posted:

Sure, catch-all thread is nice, but making a specific Borscht thread would be great, especially since winter is coming soon, and the heartier soups really help get through those horrible cold days.

Sure! If I had more mouths to feed I'd also make solyanka but it's usually just me and my boyfriend. Borsch is always good (and vegan friendly if you want it to be that way).

Also, well, at least it's not Romney.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SubG posted:

Speaking of beet soups, there's this Polish variant of borscht/barszcz that's basically a fermented beet broth. Anyone have a recipe that includes a traditional approach to the fermentation instead of just faking it with vinegar?

Put it outside in the fresh air for a couple of days. Mind the cats and crows.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
You know, I used to date a Russian girl and hang with her parents for dinner, and I've gone over to my roommate's family functions enough to have developed a taste for the crisp but hearty pink stuff called borscht...but now you tell me you can eat it hot? What is this witchcraft? It was my favorite cold soup, minus the weird poops.

Oh, and at our election return party last night, I discovered that lamb merguez sausage makes the best pigs in a blanket. As well as reaffirming the primacy of punch as the great, cost-efficient party beverage (especially warm and spicy in the wintertime).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
This is a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirxr_sYt1Q