Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
anyone have experience with Nike CTR360 Maestri I cleats? i've had 3 pairs of adidas in a row, but they always seem to fall apart rather quickly. my predator X trx's have great holes at the seam wear the outside of the foot meets the bottom plate. gonna switch to nike and hope for better luck

http://www.rockvillesoccer.com/Nike-CTR360-Maestri-FG/White-Black-Cyber-p366221-131.aspx?gclid=CPDYzfSrqLMCFQ6CQgodlk4AZw

got those ones on ebay for $65

also got myself a fresh pair of adidas response pro gloves. love the red ones i have now and for $25 i couldn't resist getting a new set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adidas-Resp...=item2c660a495f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

CAMiasm posted:

anyone have experience with Nike CTR360 Maestri I cleats? i've had 3 pairs of adidas in a row, but they always seem to fall apart rather quickly.

I've had a pair for about 3 years but I haven't actually worn them too much because I bought some Predators afterwards. The CTR360s are really light but the angle of the laces is horrible, you get no protection for the top of your foot whatsoever so I ended up sore just from shooting sometimes.

After I caught someone's studs and couldn't walk for 3 days I stopped wearing them. If I was getting Nike boots again I'd get Laser 3s or Tiempos.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Scikar posted:

After I caught someone's studs and couldn't walk for 3 days I stopped wearing them. If I was getting Nike boots again I'd get Laser 3s or Tiempos.

I have the Tiempos for indoor. They give you a great feel on the ball and provide good protection. And they are pretty durable. I have them with suede uppers and gum soles and they've lasted a pretty long time. When it comes to outdoor boots though, the Predators are my all time favourite. I've never really had a problem with them not lasting.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
2 Goals in as many League games this week! I love playing AM.

My wife came to our casual co-ed league game and got some minutes. She proceeded to sub in, foul the poo poo out of some dude, and get the foul called on him.

Re: Cleat Talk - I love my Puma Kings, I know they may be a little heavy, but they just feel so good and last forever. Blades are good on field turf and grass alike.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 2, 2012

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I bought a pair of adiPURE turf shoes in about 2008 and have been playing every week all year round (outdoor in the Spring, Summer and Fall, indoor in the Winter) and twice a week for all of 2012. Still wearing the same pair. May be a rare case, but these are incredibly well-made shoes.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

TasmanianX posted:

2 Goals in as many League games this week! I love playing AM.

Since everyone else is fat and out of shape, I've been finding myself having to play that role instead of defense, or else the other team ends up just sitting in our half for the entire game. I've started poaching a goal a game on average, but I'm still complete poo poo at receiving and handling the ball. Not to mention that 5'7 isn't ideal for being the target of goal kicks...

So in other words, the most value I can add is to run around and create a diversion.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

I bought a pair of adiPURE turf shoes in about 2008 and have been playing every week all year round (outdoor in the Spring, Summer and Fall, indoor in the Winter) and twice a week for all of 2012. Still wearing the same pair. May be a rare case, but these are incredibly well-made shoes.

I've been wearing the same pair of cleats since the spring, so seven months or so? Mizuno Morelia Neos, think that's the longest I've worn a pair of anything in the past seven or eight years. I'll probably pick up another pair of them too, they're fantastic. Full kangaroo leather and they only weigh 6 ounces.

Hurriness
Feb 23, 2011
College Slice
I just recently got the all clear to resume playing soccer after a concussion I suffered in September, which in turn was my first game back from a concussion I suffered in January. Over my career I've had 4 or 5, (I suspect I had 1 undiagnosed), but the first 3 were from my school days when I played like a bit of a goon.

Since quitting the game is obviously not an option, wondering if anyone has any opinions or experiences with those headbands or helmets. I've decided I should consider getting something preventative if I intend to stay as a CB and not shift over to FB or a wing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hurriness posted:

I just recently got the all clear to resume playing soccer after a concussion I suffered in September, which in turn was my first game back from a concussion I suffered in January. Over my career I've had 4 or 5, (I suspect I had 1 undiagnosed), but the first 3 were from my school days when I played like a bit of a goon.

Since quitting the game is obviously not an option, wondering if anyone has any opinions or experiences with those headbands or helmets. I've decided I should consider getting something preventative if I intend to stay as a CB and not shift over to FB or a wing.

Considering it sounds like your brain damage is already permanent why even bother with a scrum cap?

Seriously dude, you've had 2 concussions that kept you from playing for almost a year. It may be time to pack it in.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Excellent, cheeky bump.

If there are posters or lurkers in the Manchester area, I organise and play in a weekly Tuesday evening five a side friendly at the Active Lifestyles Centre on Denmark Road/Lloyd Street North near Hulme/Moss Side from 6pm until 7pm. If anyone fancies joining in, whether to get better or to get fitter, let us know - we need some new faces down to mingle.

Thanks guys.

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...
Quick question regarding these Adidas Absolion TF's.

I know its a lot to pay for an astro trainer but I'm about to start an 8-a-side tournament and I was wondering if:

a) Anyone knows where there is a cheaper place to get them. Google has let me down
b) They look like a big step-up over the Absolado's. Can anyone confirm?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

:toot: REGISTRATIONS FOR THE NEW YEAR TODAY!!! :toot:

Paid up, name on the books, pumped for another successful year (except with 100% less collapsing in the finals)!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

iajanus posted:

:toot: REGISTRATIONS FOR THE NEW YEAR TODAY!!! :toot:

Paid up, name on the books, pumped for another successful year (except with 100% less collapsing in the finals)!

Yeah. I just paid up and signed paperwork to get on my first league team. It's still my first season so I am hoping I can at least get subbed in if we are winning by a truckload.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Scienide posted:

Quick question regarding these Adidas Absolion TF's.

I know its a lot to pay for an astro trainer but I'm about to start an 8-a-side tournament and I was wondering if:

a) Anyone knows where there is a cheaper place to get them. Google has let me down
b) They look like a big step-up over the Absolado's. Can anyone confirm?

Honestly, Sports Direct are best for astros in my opinion - best for range and price.

EDIT: Although now that I think about it, the range is mostly focussed on the lower price end so those trainers you linked probably wouldn't be there. Sorry, this post was less helpful than I imagined it'd be at first.

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...
I got them anyway for £80.00 in the end. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

lol I'm seething, a team of pint-sized shitheads were mouthing off the whole match, wearing blades resulting in two guys getting hosed up feet and a gashed leg. They beat us 2-0 with two errors from our end but some of the poo poo they were saying was hilarious and out of order really.

What I'm asking is, I'm at home now and I'm still annoyed at the match, how do you all 'wind down' after getting hosed off with the opposing team?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Thirteenth Step posted:

lol I'm seething, a team of pint-sized shitheads were mouthing off the whole match, wearing blades resulting in two guys getting hosed up feet and a gashed leg. They beat us 2-0 with two errors from our end but some of the poo poo they were saying was hilarious and out of order really.

What I'm asking is, I'm at home now and I'm still annoyed at the match, how do you all 'wind down' after getting hosed off with the opposing team?

Go for a run til you throw up

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

please respond posted:

Go for a run til you throw up

I did, think it helped a bit (I wasn't sick however)

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Whatever you enjoy doing other than football. Anything associated with football is just going to remind you of the turdburglars you just played. I had one friend who bought one of those lovely standing punching busts (the one with the robot face and lights that show you where to punch for "a good workout") and he liked to use it after just any really physical game, whether the other team were jerks or not. Me, personally, I just want to zone out and forget about everything even if it's just a normal loss, so I'll usually do netflix.

Here's some schadenfreude to maybe help a bit. A couple months back, playing some indoor, we lost like 12-4 to a team that literally celebrated every goal like it a was a cup final. Once they got 4 goals up on us, they started busting out the "tekkerz." Was embarrassing.

A couple weeks ago I had a guy refuse to shake my hand, no joke, because I was "mean," and made a point to shake the hand of every other team mate except one other player (who was also called "not very nice"). I have never seen a grown man act so bitchy in my entire life.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Vinestalk posted:

A couple weeks ago I had a guy refuse to shake my hand, no joke, because I was "mean," and made a point to shake the hand of every other team mate except one other player (who was also called "not very nice"). I have never seen a grown man act so bitchy in my entire life.

We had this quite a lot when I played in the states. I think it was because we were a team of international (mostly English Australian and Spanish) guys who really didn't give a poo poo and were playing for fun, and the teams we were playing were much more serious (often Frat teams. gently caress frat guys). One guy called me a fag and refused to shake my hand, and tried to fight me after the game, so I got him banned from playing because seriously, gently caress that noise in a recreational league.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

None of them shook our hands, they all hosed off up the other end over-doing the celebrations lmao, forgot to mention that. The worst team I've ever played, I've got the return leg marked in my diary... heh

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Thirteenth Step posted:

None of them shook our hands, they all hosed off up the other end over-doing the celebrations lmao, forgot to mention that. The worst team I've ever played, I've got the return leg marked in my diary... heh

Kick the gently caress out of them next time

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

please respond posted:

Kick the gently caress out of them next time

15th of April, ill have my blades and my shin guards on for that one.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Watch some Pepe highlight reels, do some push ups, drink some milk, get mad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Thirteenth Step posted:

15th of April, ill have my blades and my shin guards on for that one.

rake the back of their legs a lot, the ref never sees it, and pinch the back of their arm it hurts really bad

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

please respond posted:

rake the back of their legs a lot, the ref never sees it, and pinch the back of their arm it hurts really bad

Nothing like a stud down the achilles to get someone pissed off.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Me and another guy always just played the enforcer role. One properly timed shoulder charge/borderline football tackle usually shuts up the other team. Plus in a rec league it'll basically never be a red card unless the ref is a dick.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
a well timed challenge ending in a toe stomp normally causes a corkscrew break. these are easy to get away with if you act like you're over pursuing the ball. good luck with your revenge, I would have keyed a car or three on the way out of the park

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
like Hardflip-a said stomping the foot is really good and will never get you carded. Its tough to do anything else really in rec league, especially if you're not allowed to challenge from behind.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Party in the UAE posted:

like Hardflip-a said stomping the foot is really good and will never get you carded. Its tough to do anything else really in rec league, especially if you're not allowed to challenge from behind.

Play in the league I play in and know the refs well, you can pretty much get away with murder if you apologize and put your hands up afteward.

Granted most of the refs are former pro refs and most of the players are former college/pro players so things work a bit differently.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
putting your hands up is the universal sign for "i did it" in a lot of leagues

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Our six a side team lost 2-1 yesterday and it was my own goal that cost us. Low cross across the face of goal and it flicked my toe into the net. I was devastated. I also took out one of their players when I went for a challenge and slipped causing a standing challenge to devolve into a two footed slide. Whoops.

Thirteenth Step I usually have a shower and a wank to calm down after a poo poo match. Worked for Chris Benoit.

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 11, 2013

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Finally scored my first goal. Weak footed too. Got another one a few minutes after.

It was just indoors and not league play but I was just glad to have that feeling finally as I have never scored one and will probably never do so again because I am defense.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Soulex posted:

It was just indoors and not league play but I was just glad to have that feeling finally as I have never scored one and will probably never do so again because I am defense.

I always say that when I score in a way that even shocks the hell out of me. "I hope you were watching because you'll never see that again". I believed it too. Before long I scored a hat trick in a 5-2 win and won last week's 4-3 game with a curling shot into the far corner. As long as it keeps working, I'm going to continue employing reverse psychology for my own benefit, especially given that I actually am poo poo at this sport.

I'm glad my league is very friendly and casual, yet still a hard-fought match every week. Some of you are scarily well-versed in on-pitch warfare.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vinestalk posted:

I have never seen a grown man act so bitchy in my entire life.

A couple of years ago I was playing 5's in the local indoor area, as is usual practice when we don't have 2 willing captains, the team was chosen through random numbers and it ended up kinda un-even. Not disastrous for the lesser team but definitely an uphill struggle. Anyway by the half-time point our team was 9 goals down so we mutually agreed to swap players to even up the match and make it more fun for all involved. The "best" (read: ball-greedy goal scorer with no concept of teamwork or passing) player on our heavily losing team kicked up a strop. I think he'd scored 2 goals for us and was thinking he could mount a come-back single-handedly.

Anyway, once the teams were remixed he stood in the middle of the pitch declaring this was "a load of shite", nutmegged himself every-time a teammate passed it to him, made no runs either in an attacking or defensive sense, and if the ball by chance came to him took a shot from wherever he was standing. Needless to say that was the last time he played with us and he hasn't been invited back since.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That person sounds like a literal child. I coached 8 year olds that sound more mature.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Vinestalk posted:

That person sounds like a literal child. I coached 8 year olds that sound more mature.

We had a guy in my other league that brought 5 of his friends to a 6 per side game, blowing up our team of 7 to 12. And it was a co-ed, so we had 4 men playing with 5 subs at all times. It was a pretty casual league and nobody really cares about winning, but when we obviously played like poo poo because everyone was playing 3 minutes at a time to keep people revolving in and out, the guy turned around and blasted an absolute beaut of an own goal before walking out off the pitch in protest with his Barca-jersey-wearing thugs following.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

What a bunch of pathetic man-children. The 8-year olds I coach for are more mature.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Hardfl1p posted:

I would have keyed a car or three on the way out of the park

Dude, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Someone's been knicking all the side-mirror glass off the cars at my Powerleague, now I know it's one of you twats.

Anywho, what's a good ball for 5-a-side, for £20? My old Adidas is starting to tear.