Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yesterday I was sitting at my desk which overlooks the road outside when I saw a tow truck drive by towing an almost mint mid-90s Oldsmobile 88. Why was it not completely mint, you ask? Well, there seemed to be some sort of V8 engine sticking straight up out of the windshield. I was too slow pulling my phone out to get a picture but it was easily one of my more WTF car moments ever.

I imagined the guy at the junkyard first trying to fit it into the trunk, then studying the car for a moment before having the brainstorm of "just drop it into the windshield!"

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yesterday I was sitting at my desk which overlooks the road outside when I saw a tow truck drive by towing an almost mint mid-90s Oldsmobile 88. Why was it not completely mint, you ask? Well, there seemed to be some sort of V8 engine sticking straight up out of the windshield. I was too slow pulling my phone out to get a picture but it was easily one of my more WTF car moments ever.

I imagined the guy at the junkyard first trying to fit it into the trunk, then studying the car for a moment before having the brainstorm of "just drop it into the windshield!"

Sounds pretty AI to me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Das Volk posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the stupid rear camber that reduced his contact patch to that of an Opel Kadett.

That and the lack of suspension travel.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Went to get coffee and saw that the Sasquatch Research Team is in town!

Found a picture of the owner...

You might also be unsurprised to know there was a xenophobic "I'm an American, take back America" sticker on the front windshield.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Are these guys for real? Or is it just a gimmick to get a tv show?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile, hiding in the far corner of a Wal-Mart parking lot..

Not horrible, but still enough to get a :wtc:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

some texas redneck posted:

Three liters of Vulcan FURY must breath! :black101:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Are these guys for real? Or is it just a gimmick to get a tv show?

Worse than that. They're not the guys from the show. Which is what I thought at first. I was going to get a ironic picture and autograph. This is just some local big foot hunter society.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Aurune posted:

Worse than that. They're not the guys from the show. Which is what I thought at first. I was going to get a ironic picture and autograph. This is just some local big foot hunter society.

My excuse to take awesome camping trips.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At first I was shocked to see a Holden in the US, then I saw it was LHD. Rebadged GTO?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

At first I was shocked to see a Holden in the US, then I saw it was LHD. Rebadged GTO?

Probably. I saw a fully-converted (aside from LHD rather than RHD) GTO at a car show here in Seattle about 6 months ago. It was actually very, very well done, with all the correct interior and everything. (the one I saw was white).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kenshin posted:

Probably. I saw a fully-converted (aside from LHD rather than RHD) GTO at a car show here in Seattle about 6 months ago. It was actually very, very well done, with all the correct interior and everything. (the one I saw was white).

Did it still have the fuel tank stupidly placed in the trunk?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Did it still have the fuel tank stupidly placed in the trunk?
I honestly don't remember, I was stoned out of my mind looking at awesome cars (it was a car show literally 20 blocks long on the street outside my apartment)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's happening again.

At least the A pillar isn't an important structural member.

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/31952.html

There's a whole bunch more of these here: http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's happening again.

OK, I know this is horribly unsafe, but god drat if they don't do fine looking work. The panel gaps even look factory.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Russian cut and shuts :allears:

I could stare at these nightmare inducing repairs all day.

e: that one is actually some pretty quality work, though that vehicle never should have been repaired... and they should have used a proper spot welder, not mig spot welding. And it's going to get eaten alive by rust at all of those seams within five or ten years, and come right back apart, since they didn't dip it in anything and all those seams have bare metal inside them now.

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 6, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

Russian cut and shuts :allears:

I could stare at these nightmare inducing repairs all day.

e: that one is actually some pretty quality work, though that vehicle never should have been repaired... and they should have used a proper spot welder, not mig spot welding. And it's going to get eaten alive by rust at all of those seams within five or ten years, and come right back apart, since they didn't dip it in anything and all those seams have bare metal inside them now.

This guy will be dead/in Siberia by then, who cares.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Judging by the accident that vehicle's already tasted blood. It will not rest until it takes the next owner's life. :tinfoil:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

It's happening again.

To be honest, that's pretty similar to what I've seen a lot of high-dollar muscle cars go through. Reading through the translated version, it appears they spent months making sure every single part they got was OEM.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
What blows my mind is that is a lot of loving work and TLC dumped into a Skoda of all things but not just that it's one of the most generic at that! It's not even a proper classic Skoda but a modern model that you'd probably be able to find used for roughly the same as repairing the drat thing with OEM parts.

:psyduck:

That work however is truly amazing and the people that do that are very skilled at their craft.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I sort of want to take an old rusty 240Z and drop it off there for a few months.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sort of want to take an old rusty 240Z and drop it off there for a few months.
So they can do a great looking paint job over the rust? Those cars get repaired so they could be sold asap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

So they can do a great looking paint job over the rust? Those cars get repaired so they could be sold asap.

It's not difficult to paint over rust/improperly prepped metal and make it look good. For a year or so.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

What blows my mind is that is a lot of loving work and TLC dumped into a Skoda of all things but not just that it's one of the most generic at that! It's not even a proper classic Skoda but a modern model that you'd probably be able to find used for roughly the same as repairing the drat thing with OEM parts.

:psyduck:

That work however is truly amazing and the people that do that are very skilled at their craft.
The Yeti is very popular.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At the wages those guys are probably being paid I could afford to have every panel on the car cut and rewelded.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

:wtc:

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 6, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Uhhhh:

OK i have two thing to trade i have my newly built custom computer built 4 months ago and a 1994 ford probe 2dr automatic i have title for the car i just recently bought it but problems of it spitting out white smoke came a day later of buying it i've been told several things it might be but i'm no mechanic .. I'm looking for a reliable car i don't care about the cosmetic damage i just want it to last and run i per-fer a car with either 4 or 2 doors automatic with 1.4 or 1.6l engine no trucks, suvs, or wagons i drive a lot and need a good mpg car i have a video of my computer and this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-i7SvAw1tQ&feature=g-upl so please let me know what u have send me pics with info on it must be automatic and reliable please please please i use it for work i drive a lot and im despretly in need of a reliable car with great gas milage

v- T(aurus) WReX.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 6, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Meanwhile, hiding in the far corner of a Wal-Mart parking lot..

It looks like a WRX with Downs. Or a melted WRX.

I don't know which.

Powershift posted:

It's happening again.

This is a fairly competent rebuild, I've seen way worse at the auction I work at. Seriously.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 7, 2012

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Am I missing something? Looks like your standard beater.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Some Russian dudes took an equally hosed Focus and a Suzuki SUV and put them both back together in a similar way. They looked pretty much new when they were done. The workmanship was crazy good, but the cars were in no way worth the effort.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on around the turn signal...the fender lines up everywhere else, and the hood lines up on the other side...what's actually wrong?

Edit: VVV It seems like the fender and hood would line up in that case. They line up against the windshield. It's like the fender is too short.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 7, 2012

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Godholio posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on around the turn signal...the fender lines up everywhere else, and the hood lines up on the other side...what's actually wrong?

It looks like it was hit in an accident, and they replaced the fender, signals, and that wheel. It probably doesn't line up because it was twisted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A beater don't need 2 parking spots.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Kotaru posted:

Three liters of Vulcan FURY must breath! :black101:
Misspelled word aside (breathe), the alloys and badge on the fender indicate that that particular Taurus is Duratec-powered, meaning it's quite capable. Still doesn't excuse the stick-on scoop, but hey.
[/nerd]

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

My guess is they took a fender from a newer year of the same model car that bolted up, but was slightly different. Looks like there's more space for a larger, more rounded side marker light that would line up more with mid-late '90s design trends than the late '80s / early '90s that car looks to be. I feel dumb that I can't place it, I was thinking early '90s Geo Prizm, but the front end doesn't match up. The white fender looks similar to that of a late '90s Prizm, but the side moulding doesn't match and it doesn't have the little crease in the fender. :spergin:

e: Content: People doin' hosed up stuff to Metros

(Wrong thread?)

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 7, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

It looks like it was hit in an accident, and they replaced the fender, signals, and that wheel. It probably doesn't line up because it was twisted.

It looks like the fender is from a different model year or maybe a different car. Still, standard beater.
e: beaten. That's what I get for reading other threads.

A beater don't need 2 parking spots.

But the fender's the only nice part of the car!

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Black88GTA posted:

(Wrong thread?)

Yeah, definitely wrong thread :3:

I wonder what kind of rig that thing is sitting on?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nathan Explosion posted:

Some Russian dudes took an equally hosed Focus and a Suzuki SUV and put them both back together in a similar way. They looked pretty much new when they were done. The workmanship was crazy good, but the cars were in no way worth the effort.

There are a whole bunch on that dudes Livejournal posted above

In addition to the Airtrek and Yeti they've done fairly major repairs on
90s Vauxhall Vectra
Hyundai Getz x3
00s Nissan Primera
90s Corolla
90s Nissan Primeras x3

None of which would be worth repairing if you did any more than scratch the bumper in my part of the world

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Black88GTA posted:

e: Content: People doin' hosed up stuff to Metros

To be fair, this thing potentially makes great gas mileage.

If it's built well...

...with lightweight materials...

...and the aerodynamics are actually good.

Ok, who am I kidding, that belongs in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I always wonder what the shelf life of those ghetto-fab crawlers with the roofs cut off is. A year? More?

Maybe it's because I live in Boston.