Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
If you are having trouble as a skulk, be a gorge! There are sometimes large shortages of gorges.

Gorges can slow down marine advances and block off chokepoints to other parts of the map with defensive shooty towers and walls. You can also heal aliens in the field, which means they don't have to run all the way back to a hive or crag for full health. You can also help the commander build structures (including hives)!

And that is all without even having bile bomb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

magres posted:

Parasite is VERY good as well (scroll wheel or press 2 to get to it). You fire a projectile that marks the Marine and gives all aliens vision of him until he dies. It doesn't do much damage and takes a fair bit of energy, but you permanently cripple that Marine player until they die, and it's immensely helpful to other aliens. I've won fights because I chain-parasited an entire Marine push, then ran away to hide with a bunch of other Skulks. Marines came through a big door, we knew exactly where they were, and dropped on them and tore them to shreds.

It lasts 30 seconds and is cured by visiting an armory.

Capt Happhypants
Mar 16, 2009

Magres posted:

Live up to the name. Skulk about, look for lone Marines, set up ambushes. Be a sneaky, opportunistic little oval office. Be the ever dreaded THAT SKULK that the Marines just can't nail down. Parasite is VERY good as well (scroll wheel or press 2 to get to it). You fire a projectile that marks the Marine and gives all aliens vision of him until he dies. It doesn't do much damage and takes a fair bit of energy, but you permanently cripple that Marine player until they die, and it's immensely helpful to other aliens. I've won fights because I chain-parasited an entire Marine push, then ran away to hide with a bunch of other Skulks. Marines came through a big door, we knew exactly where they were, and dropped on them and tore them to shreds.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give this a shot, possibly I was being way too aggressive. Marking marines with Parasite seems like a good option too.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

E: Disregard.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Bloodmobile posted:

It lasts 30 seconds and is cured by visiting an armory.

This is good to know. I feel like I've been too liberal in parasiting "important" marines. As in the ones with jetpacks or flame throwers or grenade launchers. I was willing to sacrifice myself to get the parasite on them, but no more!

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Fearian posted:

I've had so many incredible moments I never thought I'd have again since NS1, over the last few days. Dumb marines not following orders. amazing teams winning the game more or less unassited by my comandering. Desperate hold outs that last for 40 minutes..

My favorite 'dum team' moment was on summit pushing crossroads. the whole team was about to push into their hive, it looked like a done deal.

"Great! can i have two guys go clear out reactor core, everyone keep pushing!"
research upgrades in base, hop back to the action
"What? GUYS IF I WANTED SIX PEOPLE IN REACTOR I WOULD HAVE SAID SIX!"

everyone had wandered off, aliens countered, forcing a beacon, they took a second hive. We lost reactor.

This was a bit ago, but I'd like to say on this topic:
When you don't need everyone/a significant portion of the team to go do something, call out individual marines to go do it. Don't say "I need two people to go check Reactor core" say "Weedlord420 and xXBonerHitlerXx, go check reactor core".
As a player, I have no good way to see who is following orders and who isn't.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Calling people out by name to do something and then thanking them is absolutely the best way to get any single thing done as commander.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Wildtortilla posted:

This is good to know. I feel like I've been too liberal in parasiting "important" marines. As in the ones with jetpacks or flame throwers or grenade launchers. I was willing to sacrifice myself to get the parasite on them, but no more!

I was pretty pissed when I realized how quick it wore off. It's so utterly useless now especially with how much endurance it takes to shoot a parasite. There is like no time when it's worth trying to parasite people since if you are in parasite range you can be in bite range in a second and actually do something to the marine. Not to mention how obvious the parasite is now.

I really don't understand what purpose parasite serves now.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

randombattle posted:

I was pretty pissed when I realized how quick it wore off. It's so utterly useless now especially with how much endurance it takes to shoot a parasite. There is like no time when it's worth trying to parasite people since if you are in parasite range you can be in bite range in a second and actually do something to the marine. Not to mention how obvious the parasite is now.

Maybe if you're closing the gap between you and the marine you could hit them with a parasite so you'd have to chomp them fewer times? That's all I can come up with, parasite seems overwhelmingly useless now. :(

whiskas
May 30, 2005
A few builds ago parasite used to work on buildings, the parasite was also permanent until the building was destroyed. It was very helpful to have marine bases and res nodes that have been parasited appear on the aliens minimap.

You can imagine that having enemy structures appear on the minimap is a huge help to coordinating the alien team and getting them to put pressure on enemy positions.

I asked Charlie why they removed it and he gave me a very vague answer of "we had a discussion and decided to remove it".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

randombattle posted:

Apparently a totally unupgraded marine takes 3 bites to kill. Hitting them with a single parasite shaves off enough armor to bring it down to 2 bites. According to people earlier in the thread, anyway.

Is this really the case?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

whiskas posted:

I asked Charlie why they removed it and he gave me a very vague answer of "we had a discussion and decided to remove it".

I'm positive I saw him say on a stream recently that it was coming back.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Parasite being pretty useless except as an armour-shaving mechanism and armouries healing armour are probably my 2 least favourite NS2 changes because they both make marines much more able to just roam around without comm assistance. Isn't that supposed to be the main advantages aliens have, especially earlygame?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

octoroon posted:

Goons in some games can provide a safe haven for learning without too much serious judgment and can be literate and helpful.

Hahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

octoroon posted:

Goons in some games can provide a safe haven for learning without too much serious judgment and can be literate and helpful. But NS2 has a pretty great community as a base just due to the nature of teamwork required to be successful, so it's not strictly necessary to get a goon game going.

The only time I've ever run into actual vocal hostility was when I joined the goon server.

That said, I would still play there.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No.

I know the goon stereotype but not every game is Eve online and you might wanna try it sometime before knocking it.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is there a reason alien's don't get a minimap?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
^^^^^^^
Press C in-game to bring up the mini-map.

There's no real reason for goon servers, tbh. The community is already very friendly and helpful and I feel no reason to need respite from those I regularly play with.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LibbyM posted:

I don't know about that but you can press 'C' anytime to bring up an overlay map and you should be doing this often.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Arrath posted:

Apparently a totally unupgraded marine takes 3 bites to kill. Hitting them with a single parasite shaves off enough armor to bring it down to 2 bites. According to people earlier in the thread, anyway.

Is this really the case?

This doesn't seem right at all. I'm pretty sure it takes 2-3 bites to kill a "level 1" marine, and I'm pretty sure I've had to bite late-game marines way, way more than 3 times to kill them. I don't have the numbers to back up this statement, but it just sounds totally wrong.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Remember that the amount of damage you do with your bite depends on how centered your aim is. If you're not getting those 75 damage meatbites then it's going to take more than 2.

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006
Can I run about as a Gorge for the entire game and still be useful? I love me that gorge.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LibbyM posted:

Because they have hivesightAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha.

:smith:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

Can I run about as a Gorge for the entire game and still be useful? I love me that gorge.
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: gently caress Yes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Slappy Moose posted:

This doesn't seem right at all. I'm pretty sure it takes 2-3 bites to kill a "level 1" marine, and I'm pretty sure I've had to bite late-game marines way, way more than 3 times to kill them. I don't have the numbers to back up this statement, but it just sounds totally wrong.

It's different now that bites can do partial damage if you don't hit them exactly. 2 full bites + one corner bite ~= 2 bites + 1 parasite

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Yah I knew about bringing up the full screen map, but that is not ideal to be doing in situations where I only need the mini. :(

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

octoroon posted:

I know the goon stereotype but not every game is Eve online and you might wanna try it sometime before knocking it.

Dude I've been playing with goons for 10 years now. They can be nice and cool but only because we have something initially to bond over. After about 2 minutes you realize that goons are the rudest, most crass, unhelpful motherfuckers on the internet.

EVE just takes it way beyond that.

e: All of the above makes us also the most hilarious people to play with, to be honest.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 6, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Slappy Moose posted:

I'm pretty sure someone did the math earlier but basically a non-upgraded marine has 160 effective HP. A direct bite does 75 and a parasite does 10, making it just perfect for killing them.

Late game when they have 90 armor that gives them 280 effective health meaning you have to land four direct bites to take them down.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Dude I've been playing with goons for 10 years now. They can be nice and cool but only because we have something initially to bond over. After about 2 minutes you realize that goons are the rudest, most crass, unhelpful motherfuckers on the internet.

EVE just takes it way beyond that.

e: All of the above makes us also the most hilarious people to play with, to be honest.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply goons aren't rude or crass. But they're also really drat helpful if you want to learn how to play a game well quickly and don't get offended by petty poo poo.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RadicalWall posted:

I'm pretty sure someone did the math earlier but basically a non-upgraded marine has 160 effective HP. A direct bite does 75 and a parasite does 10, making it just perfect for killing them.

Late game when they have 90 armor that gives them 280 effective health meaning you have to land four direct bites to take them down.

Yeah the parasite will do enough damage to shave them down to 2 solid bites. That isn't to say that it will ONLY take 2 bites as you can deal less then 75 damage on a bite if it glances. I'm not positive how it works exactly but there are times when I've had to bite a dude 4-5 times at the start cause I've only nicked him for 40 damage.

The problem with parasite is that it takes like 1/3rd of your stamina to shoot one spit out. Yeah you can soften up targets but if you do they are going to know that you are there making it harder to approach and you will have less chomps to work with once you get down there. Once you throw leap into the mix it's utterly useless to parasite because that's a leap or two you are throwing away.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Parasite is really really bad compared to NS1. 30 seconds? 1/3rd of your stamina? Only shows up within a certain radius of you with hivesight? Why even bother. I really want to encourage people to do it more but there seems like it's almost no point.

Then again, in generic low-skill matches marines almost universally win, so maybe aliens could stand a small buff.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Zotix posted:

This game seems like it could benefit from some spiraling like MOBA games have. I've only been playing for 3 days but I've been in 1 1/2-2 hour long games. Related to this, how do you actually get resources as a grunt not a commander. Spending 50 resources on say a Fade, is a lot. Even if you kill 10 people, you are still going to be out a large chunk of resources. I'd say having a 10:1 K:D ratio should at least pay for the cost of your upgrade. If they gave more resources for a kill it would help shorten up games.

Res for kills and especially spiraling would make the community as toxic as any MOBA. A newbie would be worse than useless, he'd literally make the other team stronger.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What is spiraling?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It basically means that the leading team is granted increasingly greater advantages over the losing team until eventually it becomes no contest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

voltron lion force posted:

It basically means that the leading team is granted increasingly greater advantages over the losing team until eventually it becomes no contest.
A good game keeps it "anyone's game" for as long as possible, but wraps up quick when it's actually impossible for the other team to win.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

novamute posted:

For everybody talking about camouflaged Onoses (Onii?) I can't think of a single time I've been surprised by an alien popping out of camouflage. Seems like I can always clearly see the white outline of the alien even if it is a skulk or something smaller.

Parasite only lasts 30 seconds in NS2.

Well gently caress using Parasite ever again. :wtc:

Arrath posted:

Is this really the case?

Even if it is, gently caress it. I think trading a third of your stamina for the ability to *maybe* twoshot a Marine (landing two perfect bites in a row is kinda hard) isn't worth it, especially if your commander gets you leap early.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Suspicious posted:

Res for kills and especially spiraling would make the community as toxic as any MOBA. A newbie would be worse than useless, he'd literally make the other team stronger.
This is completely true, as frustrating as turtles can be there are better ways to make games wrap up than making people furious at their teammates for feeding the other team.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Magres posted:

Well gently caress using Parasite ever again. :wtc:

Even if it is, gently caress it. I think trading a third of your stamina for the ability to *maybe* twoshot a Marine (landing two perfect bites in a row is kinda hard) isn't worth it, especially if your commander gets you leap early.

Yeah, I think parasite could be balanced well if it lasted until the marine used an armory and gave sight to the commander.

It would create a dynamic where you'd have to decide whether to go back and remove it or keep going knowing they can track you.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It is extremely important to use parasite in the early game. If you've seen me play, I always land a parasite before I go in for a 2 bite kill. This is a very important skill/tactic. Later in the game it doesn't matter as much because of the marine armor, but it is still a good idea to parasite marines so you can see them on the map, it's just not necessary to parasite them as you're going in for the kill. By the time leap comes out I use my energy for leaping, not parasite, only in regards to going in for kills. If I spot a marine far away I will still parasite them, regardless of leap.

edit: It used to be cured with a med pack. I kind of liked that because it forced the commander to drop a medpack on you and use res. The armory wouldn't heal it so you were forever parasited unless you medpacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Last night Garfu and other goons let me hop in the command chair multiple times and kept the other team at bay while I tried to push the right buttons. That is some charity. Unless you get bent out of shape being called an idiot in a clearly joking manner, goons are far more helpful than pubbies.

You trade dumb newbie stories for help not being poo poo. This has been the case in NS2, Dota, and Eve for me. In the same way most goons don't actually have neckbeards, most goons are not huge assholes to newbies.

• Locked thread