Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are they the GSM ones though?

I don't know for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

That shouldn't be too bad since AT&T's coverage isn't too bad here supposedly.

I don't know though.

I've had so many mixed reactions from people I've asked so I'll probably see if I can pick up a GSM phone to test. If Walmart has them, I can grab them sometime this week.

Does anyone know of a cheap GSM phone to start out with to test the sms/mms (not required)/data?

You could always walk into Walmart and buy the cheapest phone for the one you want to test.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I noticed TMobile has their "Unlimited Any Mobile" feature you can add to any Tmobile plan for $10/month to get unlimited calling to any mobile phone.

I'm 98% sure this won't work, but could you add that to the $30/5gig plan to have the best $40 plan on earth? Or does that only work with post-paid plans?

Edit: Called TMobile. Unlimited any Mobile only applies for postpaid accounts.

TotallyGreen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 6, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

You could always walk into Walmart and buy the cheapest phone for the one you want to test.

I'll probably grab some Samsung Galaxy thing. It's only about $120 or so.

I figure I should stick with an Android phone so it's easy to port over to a Nexus 4.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll probably grab some Samsung Galaxy thing. It's only about $120 or so.

I figure I should stick with an Android phone so it's easy to port over to a Nexus 4.

You said you didn't have that much money...

Here's a decent condition Galaxy Captivate off eBay for $90: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...=item2324e312f2

It'll run CM10, and I'm sure you can resell it on Craigslist for $100 whenever.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Posting this in here, was in the t-mobile thread

"So here's my current situation.

Currently on an old rear end LG optimus T with froyo and I plan to get the Nexus 4 via the google store when it arrives next week. Does the Nexus 4 only have a micro sim or can I use the one from this phone?

My contract is up on December 28th and I'd like to switch to the prepaid service at that time. Would I need to switch SIM's again and would I be able to keep my number? Basically, is there an easy way to transition from tmobile postpaid to prepaid."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

You said you didn't have that much money...

Here's a decent condition Galaxy Captivate off eBay for $90: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...=item2324e312f2

It'll run CM10, and I'm sure you can resell it on Craigslist for $100 whenever.

Didn't see that one, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

z06ck posted:

Posting this in here, was in the t-mobile thread

"So here's my current situation.

Currently on an old rear end LG optimus T with froyo and I plan to get the Nexus 4 via the google store when it arrives next week. Does the Nexus 4 only have a micro sim or can I use the one from this phone?

My contract is up on December 28th and I'd like to switch to the prepaid service at that time. Would I need to switch SIM's again and would I be able to keep my number? Basically, is there an easy way to transition from tmobile postpaid to prepaid."

You could try to carve your SIM down to fit (Google for it), but there's not much point because the $30 plan is "new customers only", and on top of that T-Mobile can't figure out account-to-account ports.

Long story short, your best bet would be to buy a new micro SIM from T-Mobile's site (I think it's 99 cents shipped) and activate the $30 plan on that, and then port your Post-Paid number into Google Voice. Then you can optionally port it from Google into the prepaid T-Mobile account, but I'd just leave it with GV if I were you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I buy the SIM + plan now and wait for the phone or does it really matter? It won't activate anything until I actually insert the SIM, right?

I ask because I've never done GSM before so I don't know.

E: Also, can you text Puerto Rico with the $45 plan or do you need the international $60 plan?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A question about the Nexus 4, I plan to buy one next week and continue using it with the Tmo $30 plan but I have one requirement. I currently use my Exhibit 2 as a hotspot for my tablet when I travel, is the Nexus 4 going to support hotspot use?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

A question about the Nexus 4, I plan to buy one next week and continue using it with the Tmo $30 plan but I have one requirement. I currently use my Exhibit 2 as a hotspot for my tablet when I travel, is the Nexus 4 going to support hotspot use?
Its built into the OS (so yes, it supports it), but t-mo may complain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

Its built into the OS (so yes, it supports it), but t-mo may complain.

Just making certain, I'd read that some hardware didn't support it. And I've been doing it on Tmo since February without a problem so I doubt it will change.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Long story short, your best bet would be to buy a new micro SIM from T-Mobile's site (I think it's 99 cents shipped)

I looked a couple days ago and only saw full and mini online. So you might have to carve/buy a tool. I used a full to mini punch tool and it worked well and came with adapters so I could return to android after 2 months of insanity with wp7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Stick100 posted:

I looked a couple days ago and only saw full and mini online. So you might have to carve/buy a tool. I used a full to mini punch tool and it worked well and came with adapters so I could return to android after 2 months of insanity with wp7.
"mini"-SIM = standard size
"micro"-SIM = iPhone4 / Nexus4 / OneX/OneS / etc sized SIM
"nano"-SIM = iPhone5

Pretty sure, anyway. The original SIM standard was credit card sized I think.
fake edit: yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module#Formats

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I pulled the trigger on a Straight Talk SIM for AT&T today. After running the numbers I discovered it would save me over $200 by paying my ETF and going $45 prepaid instead of completing the remainder of my contract.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

"mini"-SIM = standard size
"micro"-SIM = iPhone4 / Nexus4 / OneX/OneS / etc sized SIM
"nano"-SIM = iPhone5

Pretty sure, anyway. The original SIM standard was credit card sized I think.
fake edit: yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module#Formats

Ah ok, I bought a mini-micro punch tool with inserts. So I can use the same sim cards in Iphone 4, Lumia, and the Galaxy Nexus as I slip it into and out of a little holder.

$5.57 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Noosy-Cutter-MicroSim-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B00419V4L0

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Planning on buying a SIM + plan today but still looking for a phone (stupid me didn't buy the one Zero VGS posted in time last night).

I can do this, right? There's no obligation to use the plan immediately when I get the card?

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006
My sim card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm kind of anxious about jailbreaking my iphone4 for MMS. I hope AT&T doesn't give me a run around when I cancel my plan with them.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hypersober posted:

My sim card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm kind of anxious about jailbreaking my iphone4 for MMS. I hope AT&T doesn't give me a run around when I cancel my plan with them.

If you port your # somewhere (google voice), the plan automatically cancels and you never have to talk to them.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
So I'm up and running with Straight Talk, and it feels good to be out of the shackles of AT&T's contract. iMessage isn't sending from my phone number yet, just email. Google seems to say this will sort itself out but I was wondering if anyone here knows of a fix to re-unify my number and apple ID. I ported my number from ATT so it didn't change.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just received my Straighttalk micro SIM so I'm ready to go when the Nexus 4 goes on sale.

Figure once I get that I'll port my old number to Google Voice to catch anyone that doesn't get my new number. It'll be nice to have a local 802 Vermont number instead of causing confusion by telling people a number with a different area code.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to add maybe 100 minutes to the T-mobile 5gb plan? I know it wouldn't come without a price, but if I can get 200 minutes with 5 gigs for $40-45, that would fit my needs perfectly.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
It's 10c a minute after you use the 100 in the plan.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Great! I can definitely do $10/100 minutes. Christmas can't come soon enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

Great! I can definitely do $10/100 minutes. Christmas can't come soon enough.

You can automatically add more than $30 every month, so if you know you'll be hitting 200 minutes every month, just set the renewal amount to $40. Or add an extra $100 every ten months. Or just top up as you need it. It's pretty nice to have that option.

(I use about 150 minutes each month, so I keep a $5 buffer and automatically add $35/month to cover costs. If I use less than 150 minutes, the extra rolls over. If I use more, it comes out of the buffer.)

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Is it true that if you do pre-paid T-mobile (e.g. the internet famous $30 plan) that you can't roam at all? Anything north of mid-Michigan has ZERO Tmobile service and you'd have to roam on ATT.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

amenenema posted:

Is it true that if you do pre-paid T-mobile (e.g. the internet famous $30 plan) that you can't roam at all? Anything north of mid-Michigan has ZERO Tmobile service and you'd have to roam on ATT.

You roam on voice and text but not data. A regular post paid account roams with all three

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So is there a difference between singing up for StraightTalk AT&T and StraightTalk TMobile? And is StraightTalk + Nexus 4 basically the best Android way possible?

Looking at my usage right now I'm at about 700 MB for this month, but pasts months have been 500, 250, and 250, so I don't think I'd have to worry about being bugged for going over. Would I be able to setup the Nexus 4 as a Wifi hotspot (to use a tablet while I'm on a cross country train journey)?

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

So is there a difference between singing up for StraightTalk AT&T and StraightTalk TMobile?

Would I be able to setup the Nexus 4 as a Wifi hotspot?
I think only major difference between ST TMO and ST AT&T is the coverage and where roaming would be an issue.
Nexus will allow you to setup a hotspot. As said before as long as it isn't many hundreds of gigabytes, it shouldn't be an issue.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I entered my zip code on the Straight Talk website and got this:

quote:

Unfortunately, we do not offer service in this zip code.

Looking at ATTs prepaid service, it seems like a terrible deal ($65 for 1 GB of data). There's no T-Mo service here, so I'm looking for another prepaid carrier that is an ATT MVNO, preferably with around 2 GB of data/month. Any ideas?

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
Hey so I got a new sim card from t-mobile and it arrived. I called to get it activated on my new phone and I said I'd like the $30 100 min/unl data & text, and the guy didn't know wtf I was talking about. He said they only have a $30 1500 minute/ text plan, which is useless for me. How do I get this "secret" plan that is right on their web site?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Activate it on the website?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hoppin Tin posted:

How do I get this "secret" plan that is right on their web site?

You sign up on the website. It's only available at Walmart and online

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hoppin Tin posted:

How do I get this "secret" plan that is right on their web site?

That plan is available ONLY through the website.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I actually got it over the phone a year back, referring to it as the Walmart plan. You can do it on the website or by calling until you get someone better informed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it possible to buy a SIM + $45 plan from Straight Talk and just hold on to it? It won't take efffect until I actually plug in the SIM and all that, right?

I still can't find a test phone that'd use MicroSIM so I'll probably just buy the Nexus 4 and go with that.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe

plester1 posted:

That plan is available ONLY through the website.

poo poo, it says for new accounts only, and I signed up on the phone for the 1500 minutes, which I did just to get the phone activated and working... Is it too late?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You can try. I got a bad activation code and stressed that I wanted the 100 minute/5 GB data plan when I called and they set it up for me over the phone. Tell them that they hosed up and see if someone won't switch it for you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Uthor posted:

You can try. I got a bad activation code and stressed that I wanted the 100 minute/5 GB data plan when I called and they set it up for me over the phone. Tell them that they hosed up and see if someone won't switch it for you.

If its only been a few hours I'm pretty sure they would do the switch for you. They're not going to loose a new customer because he was setup with the wrong 30/mth plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
They (eventually) fixed it for me over the phone after giving me the wrong plan - over the phone - when the website activation didn't work properly. So if it's soon enough after you signed up, a little persistence will probably get you switched over.

• Locked thread