Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

For retro collecting there are a few other places I use that haven't been mentioned. Used dvd stores, these usually have a video game section and maybe even retro. Other internet forums, notables are
nintendoage.com
segaage.com
atariage.com
racketboy.com
digipress.com
neo-geo.com

Having an idea of what a game generally sells for can help you find good deals. I use videogamepricecharts.com which has an android app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fatpat268 posted:

The screen will still look like poo poo though. It's a shame, that outside of modding it for video out, that there's no way to get a good screen on the game gear.

Yea, the comparisons I've seen don't seem like improvement enough for me to attempt to do all the work.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I finish exams in 2 days, so I thought I'd set up my playstation and get ready for a Ridge Racer marathon. Thing is, I can't seem to get sound or picture out of it.

I've tried with both my fat psx and my psone, with 2 composite cables on each. My Soniq LCD TV is switched onto the 'video' channel, and is flashing 'no signal'. I know for a fact both of these playstations work (power light comes on on both of them), I was playing ff8 on this tv earlier in the year.

Is there something I could be missing? Could my TV have some wierd setting I messed up? What could it be?

e: works on the tv in the bedroom, wtf :ohdear:

field balm fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 7, 2012

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
:siren:PICKUPS!:siren:

Goon-favorite Monster Party cost me the most at $15, but it went to a local used game shop I rarely buy anything from, so I don't mind so much.
Vice: Project Doom is the first big-boy's NES action game with guns-n-poo poo I've ever owned. The kind I never played as a kid. The main reason I started collecting NES carts was to atone for how many lousy NES games I had (and still have) due to being a dumb kid. Anyway, the game is sweet. It's like Ninja Gaiden, but not balls hard. I got it earlier today and just beat it.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I figure I'll ask here first.

But I'm trying to get my hands on a Gamecube with a gameboy player for a reasonable price. It has to be a DOL-001 (the one with the digital av port). I'd prefer having the game boy player startup disc, but because I'll likely mod the gc, it's not really necessary.

If not, I'll just keep looking on ebay.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Erluk posted:

Today I got my package containing Super R-Type and opened it up to see this:

It was only five dollars with shipping, so I'm not too upset. It's a little more of a bummer since I could tell that it was in really good condition before breaking, but :shrug:

So remember kids: put your games in good packaging!

Ninja edit: That picture doesn't really do it justice because the front part is cracked and poo poo.

Yeah, that could definitely have been worse. Speaking from experience here. :smith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Charles Martel posted:

Good lord, what an OP. :golfclap:

Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II SNES) should, without a shadow of a doubt, be in "God-Tier".

Also, feel free to put U.N. Squadron and Super Mario RPG in "Great-Tier".

I would argue for UN Squadron getting god-tier because dat soundtrack.

FF4 was my first RPG. I still love it. I've sunk... oh god, I have no idea how many hours into it, and I still adore it so. The environments were amazing and interesting [caves to castles to futuristic towers to glass-like caverns on the moon, oh my!] and the enemy design was incredible. Zeromus still looks cool to me, and a lot of the enemies have really interesting design.

... and now the [very, very good] music from it is playing in my head. This isn't a bad thing.

Also, I got a package in the mail the other day! Speaking of Genesises... Genesii... whatever, it contained a copy of Sonic 2! And... an Avengers comic, a pack of gum, and a perler-bead art 3 heart Zelda-style life meter thingy. I feel like there's a riddle to solve here, somehow. Sexy Slippers is a mysterious one. :v:

I think I need a Genesis now. God it's going to be fun tracking down a "good one".

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what
I think it's worth mentioning in the OP that not all grey round buttoned Saturns are easy to mod. There's a variant known as the Model 2 Sanyo Board Saturn that can be quite tricky (and also just happens to be what I ended up with after an eBay auction :()

I did find one guide here, but I'm yet to try it. To be honest I'm semi-considering just sending it to someone to do for me. Does anyone in the UK know any reputable Saturn modders that could do the work for a reasonable price?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Erluk posted:

Today I got my package containing Super R-Type and opened it up to see this:

It was only five dollars with shipping, so I'm not too upset. It's a little more of a bummer since I could tell that it was in really good condition before breaking, but :shrug:

So remember kids: put your games in good packaging!

Ninja edit: That picture doesn't really do it justice because the front part is cracked and poo poo.

Well that sucks. :( You could buy some trash sports game and swap the insides and label?

I've had a few vidyagame things get shipped to me broken before too. Someone stuck a Playstation 2 controller in a plain bubble envelope and the whole thing was crushed. Some people are just dumb when it comes to packing things, man.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hilarious posted:

I think it's worth mentioning in the OP that not all grey round buttoned Saturns are easy to mod. There's a variant known as the Model 2 Sanyo Board Saturn that can be quite tricky (and also just happens to be what I ended up with after an eBay auction :()

I did find one guide here, but I'm yet to try it. To be honest I'm semi-considering just sending it to someone to do for me. Does anyone in the UK know any reputable Saturn modders that could do the work for a reasonable price?

Added to the OP.

Also, I just got an e-mail from my friend in Germany:

~My German Friend~ posted:

You gonna flip when you see the condition of the Mana box ;) I guess I opened it back in 1994 and then never touched it again...all my other boxes are in good condition but this one is outstanding! Don't worry about the shipping. I will wrap it like it is made of glas ;)

I found the following games in my closet:

Super Mario World

Donkey Kong Country 1

Donkey Kong Country 2

Donkey Kong Country 3

Super Mario Allstars

Sim City

Secret of Mana

Terranigma

Secret of Evermore

Mario Kart

Mario World 2 - Yoshis Island

Those only have the regular boxes, except for Secret of Mana and Terranigma!
I do wonder where the rest of my games is...I had like 50 or even more...
Don't worry about paying me, remember that modded XBox you gave me and didn't want money for?

:stare:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

ACID POLICE posted:

Does anyone want my CIB Tetris Attack or cartridge only Kirby Super Star?

I love both games, I just have their Japanese equivalents on the way and kind of want to keep expanding my SFC collection. I can't stop!

(i never realized it was okay to offer games in this thread)

edit: Also if anyone wants a really cheap USA Saturn console (the good model to mod), I just posted about it in SA Mart and would be more than happy to sell to a retro games thread dude: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516059

I would love to add Kirby to my collection! Shoot me an email d a r k spyralinc@gmail.com. And we can hash it out :) I don't have Tetris attack either, and would add it. But if someone else wants it go with them first. If you don't find any takers I would be cool with having it as well. Maybe I could get my wife into some old school gaming. She likes games like that.

On my craigslist lot. You all can step away from the meltdown button. The mystery gold cart was, as I suspected, TLZ1. My friend verified it for me last night.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heh, that's karma. By the by, you can update the wiki link to retrogooning.com; it's working everywhere now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

Heh, that's karma. By the by, you can update the wiki link to retrogooning.com; it's working everywhere now.

My :stare: was more of the fact that I do not know this dude from anything gaming related; it's actually music related. We became friends when I went to Germany a few years ago, and stayed in touch. I visited Germany again a year later, and when I met up with him, I gave him a modded XBox because they cannot buy violent games over there (Manhunt 2 was never released there and he was a fan of it).

The :stare: isn't that he's giving it to me for free/as thanks, it's more of "what in the holy hell were the odds I know literally one person in all of Germany and he has both Secret of Mana and Terranigma boxed in perfect condition".

Now if you wanna say that's karma for something random/unrelated like donating to cat shelters, that makes more sense :) What friggin' luck!

Updated the OP with your link. Thanks again!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

Good lord, what an OP. :golfclap:

Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II SNES) should, without a shadow of a doubt, be in "God-Tier".

Also, feel free to put U.N. Squadron and Super Mario RPG in "Great-Tier".

I'm for this! UN Squadron is one of my all time favs. I picked it up a couple months ago for $5. And actually played it for 3 hours before shelving it. I might have to break that out tonight.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Well that sucks. :( You could buy some trash sports game and swap the insides and label?

I was thinking about doing that, but how would I switch the labels? It seems like it would be almost impossible to do without tearing them up. Anyone know a good trick for this?

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

Erluk posted:

I was thinking about doing that, but how would I switch the labels? It seems like it would be almost impossible to do without tearing them up. Anyone know a good trick for this?

I don't know if exchanging the sticker would be done that easily, but it does look like it's just the back of the cart that's taken the worst damage. You could just open it up and replace the back.

Also i'm looking for an awesome Christmas present for my girlfriend this year, retro-game themed. I was personally thinking Earthbound which effectively completes our snes RPG collection, but boxed versions are probably slightly out of my budget and an unboxed one will torment her for life. The other idea was a minty Turtles in Time PAL box/cart but ebay is plagued with repro copies of it. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Unused posted:

I don't know if exchanging the sticker would be done that easily, but it does look like it's just the back of the cart that's taken the worst damage. You could just open it up and replace the back.

Also i'm looking for an awesome Christmas present for my girlfriend this year, retro-game themed. I was personally thinking Earthbound which effectively completes our snes RPG collection, but boxed versions are probably slightly out of my budget and an unboxed one will torment her for life. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore/super-mario-bros

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
You could buy the loose cart and then one of those plastic replacement cases with the art? Or does it have to be the original huge box

Edit: That reminds me, when I was a kid I had Super Mario wallpaper on my walls. It was amazing.

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

triplexpac posted:

You could buy the loose cart and then one of those plastic replacement cases with the art? Or does it have to be the original huge box

Edit: That reminds me, when I was a kid I had Super Mario wallpaper on my walls. It was amazing.

This is definitely an option.

totally fake edit: Did just this, thanks. After having complained about repro boxes 3 posts back aswell. :v:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Finally got through the backlog of posts in the new thread. Nice work on the OP RGBurgler.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

I was trying to figure out a way to easily automate + edit LBA2's Jump-Save bug for a glitchthrough I've been planning out, and.. and...

Its beautiful.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kjoery posted:

I was trying to figure out a way to easily automate + edit LBA2's Jump-Save bug for a glitchthrough I've been planning out, and.. and...

Its beautiful.

This seems like ideal material for an "I HAVE TO GO, MY PLANET NEEDS ME" meme. :v:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Code Jockey posted:

This seems like ideal material for an "I HAVE TO GO, MY PLANET NEEDS ME" meme. :v:

Either that or this.

Also, Ulillillia would probably love that glitch... how high did you get?!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
If you collect imports, here's a hidden gem I picked up at the gaming expo:

The Violinist of Hameln, published by Enix in 1995. I only bought it because I'm a fan of the obscure comic it's based on, but it turned out to be pretty fun.

You play a violinist named Hamel and you fight with music. A girl named Flute is following you on your journey, and because you're an rear end in a top hat, you throw her into walls and enemies, step on her to climb platforms, and make her dress up in animal costumes à la Little Nemo to proceed. It was even marketed as a "girl-tossing game" when released.

The whole comic follows an orchestral theme so staying true to the source, the game uses original and famous classical music for the BGM.

This is the best gameplay video I could find that shows off the girl-tossing ways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn74AS9RaIE#t=2m35s
Hamel using Flute as a curling stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6P8bsLtuY#t=0m20s

Fan-translated ROM available here.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
A long time ago, I promised myself I wasn't going to go all Hamburglar on my retro gaming stuff, but I'm really tempted to try and mod my NES 2 to put out better video. I have a toaster NES that outputs a decent enough picture, but it still doesn't work reliably after all my efforts to fix it. The NES 2 plays cartridges with no fuss but it just looks godawful, even by my low standards. I see a couple of methods on the internet; is there a recommended way to do this?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Space Harrier posted:

A long time ago, I promised myself I wasn't going to go all Hamburglar on my retro gaming stuff, but I'm really tempted to try and mod my NES 2 to put out better video. I have a toaster NES that outputs a decent enough picture, but it still doesn't work reliably after all my efforts to fix it. The NES 2 plays cartridges with no fuss but it just looks godawful, even by my low standards. I see a couple of methods on the internet; is there a recommended way to do this?

It was discovered fairly recently that the NES2 doesn't have any better or worse image than the AV Famicom or original toaster. People assumed that because the RF was so utterly bad on it (even worse than the original toaster over RF).

When the dude who RGB modded my AV Famicom and toaster told me he RGB modded an NES2 and it looked every bit as good as the others, I got one done and I agree with him. Jailbars were no better or worse and image was just as sharp.

The only low-price mod for the NES 2 is the composite video mod, if you are okay with composite video.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Composite video would be just fine for an NES 2 as far as I'm concerned, but the RF output on the thing is terrible even by RF standards.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I finally got an SCART cable and RBG - component converter for my Genesis 1. It looks great, except for one problem; the whole screen now has this green tint.

(composite on the left, component on the right)

I'm using this cable and this converter. I also have this cheap thing that converts RGB to S-video, which gives me this terrible image. I know it's not the tv, since my Wii and PS2 work just fine over component. Did I get a bum cable or do I just have terrible luck with converters?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hammond Edgar posted:

I finally got an SCART cable and RBG - component converter for my Genesis 1. It looks great, except for one problem; the whole screen now has this green tint.

(composite on the left, component on the right)

I'm using this cable and this converter. I also have this cheap thing that converts RGB to S-video, which gives me this terrible image. I know it's not the tv, since my Wii and PS2 work just fine over component. Did I get a bum cable or do I just have terrible luck with converters?

Not definitive, but it could be the SCART passthrough adapter. I have the same cable and SCART to YUV converter but I use a cheapo SCART switch with the audio breakouts there and I don't get that green tint.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I know exactly what your problem is. Inside the SCART->YUV box there are some pots you can adjust. One of them handles the color. Just open it up and twist those pots a bit until you find the one that fixes the color.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I don't know if this counts, but I just got in my NES carts of Sweet Home, Super Mario Bros. 2 The Lost Levels, and Mother.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I turned on the election results a few minutes early last night and instead got a local news story that was amazing. Someone is opening a retroarcade this weekend in my rinky-dink town. Not just anyone, either. Apparently I am opening a retroarcade in my rinky-dink town. Someone with my somewhat unusual name in an area that I am not native to is doing something that I've been kicking around. I'm going to go this weekend and check it out both the arcade and my mirror universe duplicate...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

--Al-Azad's Genesis Gems--

Genesis collecting is awesome because the hard cases ensure there are a lot of CIB copies and they're usually in great condition. But when it comes to the Genesis the question is "What games are there I haven't played?". Yeah, yeah you know about Sonic and Altered Beast and poo poo but Sega's consoles have always been a goldmine of buried treasure that gets completely overlooked.

First off, if you're new to Sega I recommend checking out Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for XB360 and PS3. Even if you don't plan on buying it you can still use it as a reference for the Genesis MUST HAVES. I'm not interested in must haves because I'm going to tell you about the have nots. If you're tired of playing Sonic 3 + Knuckles for the 50th time then give this list a look over and see what you're missing.

Now, what can you expect out of the Genesis beyond the standard recommends? Shooters. A loooooot of shooters. This seems to be a staple of Sega consoles and each iteration got a lot of fantastic SHMUPs that Nintendo just didn't have in any noticeable quantity. If you're looking for more cerebral games like strategy and RPG titles, the Genesis probably isn't your console. But if you like arcade action games with music that still sounds videogamey before sampling and poo poo took over (almost like a beefed up C64 sometimes), then it's Genesis all the way.

Obviously this is about the Genesis and I try to mention imports but keep in mind that the names of Mega Drive titles will vary by region. I intentionally don't list any multiplatform titles that aren't noteworthy because the Genesis versions aren't the greatest. For example, Phantom 2040 is an awesome underrated title but I would go with the SNES version. Earthworm Jim is also better on Sega hardware but get the Sega CD version for the complete experience.

--God Tier: Buy These Now, Holy Crap--

Rocket Knight Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wuEQm5YQyw

Action platforming par excellence. RKA is a simple platformer with a complex design. Each level presents a brand new challenge and no two areas are designed exactly the same. There are few games of its kind with this amount of variety. This game also contains some of the most memorable boss battles I've seen.

For some reason, Konami thought Westerners were hardcore badasses. The normal difficulty is "Easy" in Europe and it's called Children in America and everyone else's HARD is America's loving easy.

Gunstar Heroes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=608MCH6Qn80

Treasure's debut title, there's no finer action shooter of this era. Multiple weapon combinations, kickass boss fights, pumping music, colorful graphics, and explosions. Explosions everrrrrywhere. Gunstar Heroes also contains humorous nods to other video games. Ever thought it strange the villain looks like M. Bison? It's not a coincidence, let me tell you. You can't do this on Nintendo, play this game.

Contra Hard Corps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gf-UUtYb-k

Contra 3? Heh, no. Hard Corps is loving hardcore. It's right there in the punny title, look at it. This is hands down my favorite Contra game and it's thanks to the awesome XTREME 90s! art style, impressive boss fights, branching levels, and fast action. Genesis just did action games right. Too many similar SNES games suffered from horrible slowdown even if they looked and sounded superior to the Genesis.

Like the rest of Konami's American releases, our Hard Corps is considerably more difficult.

Disney's Aladdin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp1XvV8BBfQ

This is my poo poo, right here! Disney's Aladdin is a rapid fire action platformer. Our boy Aladdin got his hands on a sword and he's cutting up every poor fool that gets in his way. Great music, great graphics, and challenging gameplay. This is the bar that movie based games have to live up to.

Gauntlet IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33q32Sc-VQ

The definitive home version of Gauntlet. Arcade perfect port of the original, an RPG-like adventure mode, several variations of the original arcade gameplay, and four player co-op on one screen. This is an amazing co-op game and if you love Gauntlet you can't go wrong here.

Herzog Zwei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU

This is probably my favorite classic co-op game. It's a real-time-strategy/SHMUP hybrid where you control a transforming fighter that has to build units to attack enemy bases. Your ship is a more versatile fighter so you've got to keep the enemy from destroying your units while you destroy theirs. Probably the first game with split-screen gameplay, this is one every Genesis owner needs to have.

Thunder Force 2, Thunder Force 3, and Lightening Force: Quest for Darkstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRKFja574yQ

The Thunder Force series needs needs no introduction among SHMUP fans. If you want to know what 90s console shooters were all about, this series is the poster child.

M.U.S.H.A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoac4j2E2g

Another shooter that needs no introduction from a company that needs no introduction. If you like SHMUPs there's no reason not to own this. Compile was at the top of their game.

Ranger X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APRO7JH_B0

An amazing shooter that doesn't get the attention it deserves. Most shooters give you a helper drone of some sort but this game gives you a little motorcycle that assists you in battle or you can mount it to share its health bar. Visually this is one of the strongest Genesis titles and the music is the best on the system.

--Great Tier--
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
AKA Gunstar Heroes lite. The mechanics are almost similar, being a hybrid SHMUP/platformer. Batman and Robin have infinite ranged weapons to take down the iconic villains of the cartoon show. This game is picture proof that good coding can overcome inferior hardware and this game looks and runs better than a lot of similar SNES titles. The ridiculous difficulty keeps it out of God Tier range.

Alisia Dragoon
A hybrid SHMUP/platformer. There's a lot of these on Genesis but that's because Genesis gets it right. Blast monsters with magic power and upgrade your dragon familiar who has multiple forms to help you fight. There's not much to say about this game, it's just very well designed.

Crusader of Centy
Beyond Oasis is considered to be Sega's "Zelda" but no, that honor goes to Crusader of Centy. There's some RPG and puzzle solving mechanics but the star of the show is the battle system which includes animal familiars that help you out on combat. This game also makes me wish I could throw my sword in every action title.

Castlevania Bloodlines
This game is caught somewhere between Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood. It lacks the tight controls of the former and the level design of the latter but it's a solid Castlevania game in its own right. Buuuut Konami must have had a hard on for giving Americans a challenge because this game is ridiculous. Just like Hard Corps, the Japanese version is considerably easier.

Eliminate Down
This is like Sega's R-Type. It's very well done, has some pretty intense levels, and memorable boss fights.

Fire Shark
Visually this is an unassuming, plain looking game but it's really like an updated 1942. Overall it's just a well designed game and if you like horizontal shooters this is definitely one to check out.

Gaiares
Another really strong horizontal shooter. Yeah, this genre really shined on Sega's hardware.

General Chaos
The competitive co-op game that will destroy friendships. I like to think of this as the precursor to Team Fortress. You've got a variety of classes, some obviously more powerful than others, and you just slug it out in ridiculous fights to the death.

Light Crusader
Everyone knows Treasure for Gunstar Heroes but Light Crusader is that one title that never gets a mention in any conversation. It's certainly not their best title, but it has all the dungeon crawling, puzzle solving elements that made Landstalker popular but I think the controls and combat are tighter overall. This game also has a really kickass soundtrack.

Micro Machines
There are four Micro Machines games on Genesis and they're all fantastic. Only the first game was released in America but the other three Micro Machines games (MM2, Turbo 96, and Military) are great imports. MM2 in particular has an 8 player mode(!) where two people share a controller. The controller ports are actually built into the cartridge.

Mega Turrican
Although released on the Amiga first as Turrican 3, Mega Turrican was initially designed on Genesis and went unreleased because Factor 5 couldn't find a publisher. This is my favorite game in the series because the levels are larger and more involved than previous iterations in the series. Huge bosses, great graphics, kickass music... this is everything Genesis action games were about.

Quackshot Starring Donald Duck
Disney in the early 90s was hitting homeruns left and right. This one is a slower, more methodical platformer with an emphasis on proper employment of your gadgets. I really love the graphics which are big, bold, and colorful.

Robocop Versus Terminator
Two of the biggest 80s action movie franchises crossover into a kickass action game. You play as RoboCop who nonchalantly patrols the streets turning people into red paste. It's a tough game, no thanks to some cheap moments and a huge hitbox, which is why this is lower on the list. The Genesis version was developed first and is based on a comicbook mini-series. Avoid the SNES version: it's a completely different game by another developer and it's no good.

Shadowrun
The Genesis Shadowrun is an adaption of the PnP rules and is more of an action focused RPG than the adventure style SNES version. You get three classes and all the awesome tech of the tabletop game. Plus it has REAL Matrix levels and they're pretty drat trippy.

Soldiers of Fortune
A console port of Bitmap Bros. The Chaos Engine. This is a really solid top down shooter with a large cast of characters and 2 player co-op.

Sunset Riders
Despite being visually inferior to the SNES version, the Genesis version is notable for containing original levels and altered stages and a competitive battle mode. It wasn't released in Japan and it's hard as loving poo poo. Noticing a pattern with Konami international releases on Genesis?

TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
The Genesis version of Turtles in Time features remixed levels and original boss fights. It's not as impressive as the SNES version but it's just as good and the original material makes it worthy of at least one play.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
A really solid platformer that's closer to traditional Mario. Breaking the mold, this is a noticeably easier game than Konami's other offerings.

Two Crude Dudes
One of my first Genesis games, this is a 2D single plane beat 'em up. It's got a great visual style and memorable boss fights even though the basic mechanics are pretty simple.

The Jungle Book
Not my favorite Disney movie based game but The Jungle Book is an action packed colorful platformer with a large variety of items to toss at evil monkeys and snakes.

Warsong
The only Langrisser game I know of to make it out of Japan. It's a basic strategy game but still holds up well on its own. Definitely worth it for the curiosity value as it's part of a long running series Western audiences are pretty unfamiliar with.

Wonderboy in Monster World
One of the best in the series, Wonder Boy is a action sidescroller with some light RPG elements. It's a simplistic game by today's standards but it's still a great game.

X-Men 2 Clone Wars
The first X-Men is okay but they really went all out for this one. Multiple characters with their own unique powers, awesome graphics, and fast paced action. It doesn't do anything new or interesting but the basic gameplay mechanics are tight.

--Your Mileage Will Vary Tier--

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Chiki Chiki Boys
Crackdown
Crue Ball
Trouble Shooter
Devil's Crush
Dick Tracy
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Elemental Master
El Viento
Forgotten Worlds
Ghouls N' Ghosts
Ghostbusters
Grind Stormer
Granada
Haunting Starring Polterguy
Hellfire
Insector X
Jewel Master
The Lion King
Mercs
Mystic Defender
Phelios
Prince of Persia
Rings of Power
Rolling Thunder 2 and 3
Sagaia (AKA Darius II)
Sol Feace
Sparkster
Splatterhouse 2 and 3
Starflight
Star Odyssey
The Steel Empire
Super Fantasy Zone
Super Thunder Blade
Target Earth
Truxton
Valis 3
Vapor Trail
Viewpoint
Volfied
Wings of Wor
Wolfchild
Ys 3
Scooby Doo Mystery
World of Illusion

--Import Tier--

Battle Mania: Daiginjo
The sequel to Trouble Shooter and an all around better game.

Alien Soldier
Treasure follows up on Gunstar Heroes with an even more ridiculous, over-the-top run-and-gun shooter. This is another technical feat on the Genesis and just kicks rear end overall.

Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer
This is a traditional horizontal shooter but the visual presentation packs such a punch. Genesis gets a bad rap for looking inferior to SNES but that's only because nobody played its best looking games.

The Hybrid Front
This is Sega's Famicom/Advance Wars style game. Being a strategy title it's not very import friendly but it's a cool premise and it sucks we never saw an English translation.

Mega Man: The Wily Wars
An enhanced version of Mega Man 1-3. Only released in Europe and Japan, you'll have to settle for a repro cart if you want an American edition.

Monster World IV
The best of the Wonderboy games and a really solid action game with RPG elements. Another example of great graphics on the Genesis.

Pulseman
This game is described as a combination of Mega Man and Sonic which isn't an inaccurate assumption. It's a momentum based sidescroller with an equal focus on reflexive action and platforming. It's a shame it didn't get a wide release because I think it could have found an audience internationally.

Panorama Cotton
Not my favorite Cotton game but pretty good nonetheless. It's a straight on shooter kind of like Space Harrier. I also hope you have a lot of money to plop on this one.

Twinkle Tale
Top down shooter with freedom of movement. Plays similar to Pocky & Rocky in this regard.

Vixen 357
This is like Genesis' Front Mission. It's not at all import friendly but just like The Hybrid Front it's worth for the concept alone.

YuYu Hakusho Makyo Toitsusen
A Treasure made fighter, this is a fast paced multi-plane tournament fighter. You can see a lot of elements of Guardian Heroes in its design.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 8, 2012

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Genesis shooter box art is so badass. I especially love Ranger X's there.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

I know exactly what your problem is. Inside the SCART->YUV box there are some pots you can adjust. One of them handles the color. Just open it up and twist those pots a bit until you find the one that fixes the color.

That did the trick, everything looks great. Thanks.

Hammond Edgar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 8, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

al-azad posted:

M.U.S.H.A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoac4j2E2g

Another shooter that needs no introduction from a company that needs no introduction. If you like SHMUPs there's no reason not to own this. Compile was at the top of their game.

Holy crap, the music in this game is fantastic.

[edit] Just looked at Ebay prices... thanks for the suggestion :haw:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 8, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

al-azad posted:

--Al-Azad's Genesis Gems--

A very good post, thank you. I'm getting the itch to begin Genesis collecting, and this helps a lot.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Musha is also one of those weird genesis titles that tends to go for $80+.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Worth noting that Pulseman, MUSHA, Gley Lancer, Mega Turrican, and Super Fantasy Zone are all available on the Wii Virtual Console. So are Alien Soldier and a handful of others but those are also available on PC for cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Discount Viscount posted:

Worth noting that Pulseman, MUSHA, Gley Lancer, Mega Turrican, and Super Fantasy Zone are all available on the Wii Virtual Console. So are Alien Soldier and a handful of others but those are also available on PC for cheaper.

VC/emulation just isn't good enough for this thread

• Locked thread