Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

But Tolkien did actually write all the Gandalf poo poo; it's in the RotK Appendices, and Unfinished Tales. Not in an enormously descriptive manner, but it's pretty much there.

I know, but like you said it's not in much detail so they will have to come up with lots of stuff themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If 48fps is the intended viewing mode, why is it so rare (relatively)? I would have to drive 2 hours to see it in IMAX/3D/48fps even though I'm in a major-ish city with a fully featured state of the art IMAX theatre. Why bother going to the trouble of filming this high profile trilogy in this new format if the distribution effectively makes it just a 'limited edition' version of the film? It's never going to catch on this way and I imagine that only cinephiles are going to know or care about 48fps.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Colonel Whitey posted:

If 48fps is the intended viewing mode, why is it so rare (relatively)? I would have to drive 2 hours to see it in IMAX/3D/48fps even though I'm in a major-ish city with a fully featured state of the art IMAX theatre. Why bother going to the trouble of filming this high profile trilogy in this new format if the distribution effectively makes it just a 'limited edition' version of the film? It's never going to catch on this way and I imagine that only cinephiles are going to know or care about 48fps.

Because its a newer technology and not every theater gets new stuff right away, its expensive.

Also, I'm not sure about all the 48 FPS hate. There is a movie/ride at Disney, Soarin', thats at 48 FPS and it looks awesome. It even appropriately sounds kinda like Sauron.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I was under the impression most theaters were already equipped for it, as everything is digital now. Does it require a special digital projector or something?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

I was under the impression most theaters were already equipped for it, as everything is digital now. Does it require a special digital projector or something?
One tech article dug into that some months back, the short of it being that most digital projectors sold over the past few years could support 48fps... after a ~$10,000 upgrade.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Well that explains it I guess. I just don't see this format taking off anytime soon without more widespread exposure, and it's unfortunate that most people won't see these films the way they were intended to be seen.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Colonel Whitey posted:

It had a harsh backlash at Cinemacon, a convention for theater owners, which made New Line seriously reconsider their push of the tech.

Remember these guys would love a "new" 3D again to relive the glory days of Avatar, so the negative feedback was taken very seriously.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I imagine putting the 48fps version on Blu-ray wouldn't be a problem, though? Or would the TV refresh rate come into play?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Hatter106 posted:

I imagine putting the 48fps version on Blu-ray wouldn't be a problem, though? Or would the TV refresh rate come into play?

It would depend on your tv refresh rate, yes.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Full soundtrack list with samples. http://www.qobuz.com/album/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-special-edition-howard-shore/0794043163920

I absolutely promised myself I wouldn't seek out the rest of the soundtrack (a friend linked me to this), but listening to a couple won't hurt, will it?

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I don't even know how you'd pack 48hz into a 60hz tv signal. Show every 4th frame twice? I can't imagine that working out vey well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Luckily the PAL release will end up at 50 frames/sec so 100Hz TVs should have no problem, right?

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

Hedrigall posted:

Luckily the PAL release will end up at 50 frames/sec so 100Hz TVs should have no problem, right?

I guess with 48hz movies on 50hz PAL you could just speed everything up a tiny bit, isn't that what they usually do with 24hz already?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Don't most HDTV's have native 24p from bluray now?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Don't most HDTV's have native 24p from bluray now?
One method is to run at double 60hz to get 120 "frames" and then show each frame 5 times. voila, 24fps on 60hz.

Maybe in the future we'll all need quad rate 240hz TVs? :pcgaming:

Nill fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 8, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have a question about the LOTR Blu-ray Trilogy; Which version is the best? There are quite a few out there with varying prices, but the one I'm looking for is basically a combined package similar to the DVD Extended Editions with all the extras, only in Blu-ray obviously. I found one which was Blu-ray only (no DVDs), very affordable, and is coming out in a couple of weeks, but I can't find any info if all the extras are included (commentaries, documentaries and the Costa Botes documentaries).

Octy posted:

Full soundtrack list with samples. http://www.qobuz.com/album/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-special-edition-howard-shore/0794043163920

I absolutely promised myself I wouldn't seek out the rest of the soundtrack (a friend linked me to this), but listening to a couple won't hurt, will it?
Been listening to this constantly for the past few hours now, and it's so drat solid. Guaranteed Shore quality. I love the little nods to the LOTR scores and the new themes are gorgeous.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If we're talking about North America at least, I'm guessing you want the 15-disc version of the trilogy after all, which features the movies on two Blu-ray discs each, and the the original EE extras on two regular discs each, and the documentary-style making of each movie also another regular DVD disc for each movie. (It would have been nice if they could have produced those extras on Blu-ray and HD as well, but I guess they simply didn't exist in high-def.)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Europe actually, and I've seen those boxes with pretty much everything in them including the DVDs, but they tend to be really pricy for some reason. I found a Blu-ray package of the trilogy but I can't seem to find out if the extras are included; I don't mind if the extras are DVD quality though, I'd just like a "complete" package where the extended movies are on Blu-ray and the extras are included too.

E: Apparently there's a 6 disc edition coming later this month with presumably everything on Blu-ray, as in, the movies on 3 discs and extras on 3 discs, but I've yet to find out what extras they are.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 8, 2012

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't mind the quality, then you can pick up the DVD box set with all the Extras and get just the movies themselves on BluRay. It's what I'm gonna do when I get the cash and feel like rewatching the series again, since last time I tried I discovered the DVD version I have is at a 4:3 ratio with a huge ugly black border around the movie. Looked so ugly on my HDTV I couldn't watch more than the first disc. :smith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
These are the sets that exist as far as I know:

DVD

- Theatrical cuts
-- 3 movies x 2 discs each
--- Disc 1: movie, no commentary
--- Disc 2: lovely extras not worth your time

- Extended cuts
-- 3 movies x 4 discs each (originally available in super special boxsets with various collectable items and a throw-in DVD of something boring, like the Nation Geographic LOTR special which sucked)
--- Disc 1 & 2: movie spread across two discs, 4 commentaries
--- Disc 3 & 4: hours of behind the scenes

- Limited Edition
-- 3 movies x 2 discs each
--- Disc 1: movie spread across both sides of disc, branching to either Theatrical or Extended cut
--- Disc 2: Costa Botes documentary (approx 1.5 hours)

Bluray

- Theatrical cuts
-- same deal as DVD editions; no new extras
--- second disc (with extras) is a DVD

- Extended cuts
-- 3 movies x 5 discs each (available as separate 5-disc sets or a 15-disc trilogy box)
--- Disc 1 & 2: movie spread across two bluray discs, 4 commentaries
--- Disc 3 & 4: DVD of exact same extras in DVD extended edition
--- Disc 5: DVD of Costa Botes documentary

Amazon doesn't seem to show any new editions coming out soon. Expect that after the Hobbit trilogy... a 30 disc, 6-movie boxset? :fap:

EDIT: oh wait for the UK I found these:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=99653
- Box art says 2-disc edition so I'd say it's disc 1 and 2 from the Extended Bluray sets, meaning you get the 4 audio commentaries per film but miss out on the 3 discs of extras. So it's really for people who have all the DVD versions already, and just want the HD movies.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 9, 2012

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Octy posted:

Okay, what am I doing wrong that I can't get anything to play? It's showing "Listening unavailable."

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Effingham posted:

Okay, what am I doing wrong that I can't get anything to play? It's showing "Listening unavailable."

Huh, it worked for me yesterday. Now I'm getting a message saying it's unavailable for my country.

EDIT - The samples for disc one are on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-vHWLmLBIc

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ugh, I will be sure to see this movie in the standard 24 fps. I can't loving stand that hand-held cam look aka the real life look.

It's weird and pulls me out of the experience because it feels like I'm watching actors (rather than the characters)

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

oswald ownenstein posted:

Ugh, I will be sure to see this movie in the standard 24 fps. I can't loving stand that hand-held cam look aka the real life look.

It's weird and pulls me out of the experience because it feels like I'm watching actors (rather than the characters)

I'm going to reserve judgement for now as I've never actually seen a 48fps film (has anyone?) especially one filmed with a budget some way north of half a billion US dollars.

Most UK'ers won't really have a choice anyway as the only places in UK showing 48fps are two cinemas - one in Liverpool and one in Bristol, and I'm not loving going to Liverpool.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If you don't mind the quality, then you can pick up the DVD box set with all the Extras and get just the movies themselves on BluRay. It's what I'm gonna do when I get the cash and feel like rewatching the series again, since last time I tried I discovered the DVD version I have is at a 4:3 ratio with a huge ugly black border around the movie. Looked so ugly on my HDTV I couldn't watch more than the first disc. :smith:
I actually have the extended editions on DVD already (with the extras) but I was looking for a complete package (movies on Blu-ray, extras on DVD) just for convenience's sake really. Also turns out the 6 disc Blu-ray package coming out only includes the theatrical cuts. :( Ah well.

Hedrigall posted:

These are the sets that exist as far as I know:
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to buy each extended movie separately on Blu-ray then as I'm not all that interested in rebuying the movies on DVD or paying $80 for the huge 15 disc package.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Octy posted:

Huh, it worked for me yesterday. Now I'm getting a message saying it's unavailable for my country.

EDIT - The samples for disc one are on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-vHWLmLBIc

Oh man, that first song is all I needed to hear to have any doubts I had about the film be erased. :allears:

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Most UK'ers won't really have a choice anyway as the only places in UK showing 48fps are two cinemas - one in Liverpool and one in Bristol, and I'm not loving going to Liverpool.

Youve got a problem with one of the best cities in the UK? *RUMBLE!*

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Oh man, that music has me so jazzed. Especially [spoiler]That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates![spoiler] and the Radagast theme.

I am so happy that Radagast is in this. He's one of my favorite LOTR characters, but I did understand why he wasn't in the movies (because he basically goes "gently caress that" to anything to do with the ring or the war)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Octy posted:

Thanks for the YouTube link!

Bummer about the out-of-country probs with the samples. I'd love to hear more.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm glad I didn't bother looking at anything involving this movie until now, the wait is gonna be unbearable, but at least I only have to wait a month.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thank God I live in Southern California and several theaters within close range have the capability to play the film at 48 fps.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

It wouldn't hurt to double check with the theater if you're just going by online info and ticketing. My first choice was listed by the franchise as offering a HighFrameRate showing but when I went to pick up some tickets the manager insisted it wasn't.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Effingham posted:

Thanks for the YouTube link!

Bummer about the out-of-country probs with the samples. I'd love to hear more.

YouTube link has been (understandably) taken down by Warner Bros now. I'm sure there are other means to obtain it but we may just have to wait the month out now. I'm definitely buying the soundtrack though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So I heard there was gonna be 3 Hobbit movies, am I just buying into BS?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So I heard there was gonna be 3 Hobbit movies, am I just buying into BS?

There are three movies now. God knows what's going to happen in the third movie, but there it is.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Octy posted:

There are three movies now. God knows what's going to happen in the third movie, but there it is.

Here's what we know so far:

Movie 1:

• Battle of Azanulbizar (flashback, may not be at the beginning of the movie, and might even be pushed to films 2 or 3)
  • Hobbiton
  • Trollshaws
  • White Council / Radagast and Dol Guldur recon
  • Rivendell
  • Misty Mountains
  • Goblin Town
  • Gollum / finding of the Ring
  • Warg fight in burning forest
  • Rescue by Eagles, and visit to Eagle eyrie.

Movie 2:

• Beorn
  • Mirkwood adventure / spider battle
  • Wood Elf capture and escape
  • Laketown
  • Smaug's lair
  • Battle of Dol Guldur
  • film probably ends with Smaug emerging and flying towards Laketown.

Movie 3:

• Destruction of Laketown and death of Smaug
  • Build-up and Battle of Five Armies
  • Battle aftermath / Bard becomes king / Dain becomes king etc.
  • Journey home

Whilst Movie 3 has the least number of bullet-points (on paper), rest assured that PJ could make the BoFA span a huge chunk of the film, in the same way that Pelennor (and the Black Gate) was a huge chunk of RotK. Besides, the whole Laketown / Smaug thing is a monstrous setpiece to take up most of act 1 of that film.

Notice also the structural similarities of each film with its corresponding film in the LotR trilogy, especially Movie 1, which is almost an exact beat-for-beat remake of FotR.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So you got Unexpected Journey, There and Back Again and... do we have a title yet? my dad once told me that at the end of ROTK book Saruman was supposed to go back and enslave the entire shire and generally do bad poo poo till the gang got back to kick his rear end or something along those lines I guess they could throw this in though I can't imagine it would work too well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So you got Unexpected Journey, There and Back Again and... do we have a title yet?
  • An Unexpected Journey
  • The Desolation of Smaug
  • There and Back Again

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

• An Unexpected Journey
  • The Desolation of Smaug
  • There and Back Again

I don't know how I feel about that, I mean I'm gonna see it reguardless as I'm a big LOTR movie fan but can 1 book really be spread that thin? I know hobbit had more poo poo happening than any 1 LOTR book but did it have 3 times as much poo poo happening? whatever, Peter Jackson take my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I don't know how I feel about that, I mean I'm gonna see it reguardless as I'm a big LOTR movie fan but can 1 book really be spread that thin? I know hobbit had more poo poo happening than any 1 LOTR book but did it have 3 times as much poo poo happening? whatever, Peter Jackson take my money.

The extra stuff is taken from, I think, the Appendices in Lord of the Rings. Tolkien later retrofitted a whole storyline for when Gandalf leaves the dwarves and Bilbo halfway through the book that's all to do with the White Council and Sauron. There's only maybe 120 pages of material there so expect a lot of filling in the details.

EDIT - I don't have my copy with me, but does Gandalf actually say where he's going when he leaves the company?

Octy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 10, 2012

• Locked thread