Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

coyo7e posted:

It's not a Bungie UI and you can sort of feel it. It's cluttered and too busy and there's too much poo poo to navigate around in. There's just a lack of elegance to it overall.

I think the main problem is they tried to make it too flashy, too much like some IOS clone, rather than realizing that people can see this poo poo on a television and that it's okay to lay things out in simple lists. We're all used to Bungie just laying the info out and letting the users pick out the information that's important to them, whereas now it feels like you have to go through more screens to get the same information. It feels more organized but it also feels like things are buried as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

iSheep posted:

I don't think it has ever been an option in a Halo game but someone will probably correct me on this.

Truth. You could never outright jack a wraith. You can beat the driver out of it though. But if they're smart, they'll find the closest wall and blow you both up out of spite.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is it just me or are a lot of the maps just way too cluttered? It's bothering me for some reason but I'm not sure if it's justified.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

iSheep posted:

I don't think it has ever been an option in a Halo game but someone will probably correct me on this.

I thought you could in like halo 2 but since then it hasn't been possible.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

SpazmasterX posted:

Truth. You could never outright jack a wraith. You can beat the driver out of it though. But if they're smart, they'll find the closest wall and blow you both up out of spite.

If I'm in the Wraith and someone jumps on the front, I'll just aim all the way down and boost forward while firing, the splash damage will kill them everytime.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

One thing I like about the campaign is that you mostly don't find yourself doing one thing for too long. When playing on Legendary and slowly inching forward you really feel the difference compared to other Halos, imo.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

-A n i m 8- posted:

I did animation on six in-game cutscenes, notably the first and the last one. Worked on some in game cycles. Did design and animation for the elevator climb (with the elite up top)and the missile launch that blows up the cruiser in the first mission. Did some promKnights ingame stuff like the promKnight nailing and Elite, giving orderes etc. I am sure I am missing something.

All the cutscenes were great, the facial and body animations really sold the performances!

I'm really interested in this, did you work with the actor's capture much? was there a lot of tweaking involved once you got the raw data? Did you work much on prop animation?

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
If anybody is running through the game on legendary and needs an extra guy, feel free to invite me, I've only gone through the first couple levels.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

shagster104 posted:

If anybody is running through the game on legendary and needs an extra guy, feel free to invite me, I've only gone through the first couple levels.

I just picked up my copy this afternoon, and I'm definitely down for some Legendary.

I've beaten all the other Halo games (except 2) on Legendary, but it's also been about 2 years since I touched a Halo game, so I'm mad rusty.

My gamertag is intrinsic. Feel free to add me. I'll be on in a few minutes.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012

thetrin posted:

I just picked up my copy this afternoon, and I'm definitely down for some Legendary.

I've beaten all the other Halo games (except 2) on Legendary, but it's also been about 2 years since I touched a Halo game, so I'm mad rusty.

My gamertag is intrinsic. Feel free to add me. I'll be on in a few minutes.

Added. I'll jump back on in a few minutes.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is there anyway in matchmaking to set it so you only start new games? 3 out of my last 4 games we started in the middle of a match where we were already down by a few hundred points.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

shagster104 posted:

Added. I'll jump back on in a few minutes.

If you guys want a third, I'm gonna get on in a bit. Eating dinner right now though, so it'll be a few minutes. Gamertag is Marauder Health.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'd like to be the fourth, but I don't know if my first gen xbox headset will work. I have computer voip I can run. Maybe I should give it a try. GT: Phorrum. Going to start up the xbox and have a smoke.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012

Moose King posted:

If you guys want a third, I'm gonna get on in a bit. Eating dinner right now though, so it'll be a few minutes. Gamertag is Marauder Health.

Added. I can't be the only one while misses swat,right?

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

We need to have some sort of information set up for people to find the metatag (or, I guess, the second metatag). I want to play with goons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iSheep posted:

You can indeed jack a Wraith. It was drat easy in Halo: Reach, but it seems spottier in H4 like it was in H3. Climb on, then use the melee button and hope the pilot dies before the Wraith does. (In Reach, it's generally the Pilot. Makes the mission defending Sword Base a lot easier if you only off one of the Wraiths and then jack the other.)

Someone brought up scoring in Campaign earlier. Hold down the select button and it'll show your score.

edit:vvvvvvvvv

Yeah I tried that too. Speaking of Chapter 7, I have to give insane props to the VO of the chief scientist. You can hear her heart breaking as MC tells her he's basically going to blow her life's work to dust and all she can do is accept this and help him do it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 8, 2012

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Okay, honesty time with exceedingly minor (as in non-plot related) spoilers: In the very beginning of chapter seven, how many of you saw the big shiny swirly thing that looked like a portal and tried to jump through it?

Edit: also with the Wraith thing, it's easiest to EMP it, jump on the front, punch off the hatch, bail, EMP again, and headshot the driver. Or just shoot the hatch off and snipe the driver. Worked in Reach, dunno if it works in 4 yet.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 8, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, this campaign is kicking my rear end on Normal. The first time I played through Reach, I did so on Heroic and thought that was easy enough. But I don't even want to know how hard Halo 4 is on Heroic, let alone Legendary :ohdear:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ularg posted:

Is it just me or are a lot of the maps just way too cluttered? It's bothering me for some reason but I'm not sure if it's justified.

This has been a problem since Halo 3. Compare Zanzibar to Last Resort and look at all the unnecessary railings that prevent you from navigating the map as quickly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

First multiplayer match was against a pre-made, those always suck because you get crushed so hard.

zero democracy
Oct 9, 2002

in extremis
Has anyone noticed their sweet web armor from the Amazon preorder disappearing? I was able to equip it once, but then it had me install the multiplayer disc and when I came back it was gone.

Edit - False alarm, it showed up. I'm Sangre Yakuza on XBL wants to be my wingman, anytime.

zero democracy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 8, 2012

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

madadric posted:

All the cutscenes were great, the facial and body animations really sold the performances!

I'm really interested in this, did you work with the actor's capture much? was there a lot of tweaking involved once you got the raw data? Did you work much on prop animation?

Yes, a ton of work was done to fix the mocap, especially the facial. Never came in right. Did prop, vehicle and FX animation as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow, mocap is really good. Just got to the first cutscene with actual humans.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

-A n i m 8- posted:

Yes, a ton of work was done to fix the mocap, especially the facial. Never came in right. Did prop, vehicle and FX animation as well.

Do you work at 343?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

monkeu posted:

Another Ausgoon here. GT: Rogular

I'd be up for an ausgoons metatag, chances are most of us would have room to just add each other to our friends lists though since there probably won't be many of us. If we go that way maybe we could ask for our little list to be added to the OP? Either way, some way of organising fellow Aussies would be awesome. Here's the Halo 4 ausgoons who have responded so far:

t3hsid
Shirkie710
Arfcroc
Rogular

Edit: actually maybe a metatag is the easier option, otherwise we'd have to keep the list in the OP updated somehow which would probably be a pain, where a metatag sorts itself out. Either way something would be heaps better than nothing.

I sent requests to these guys but will just use the meta tag from now on.

If I dont respond to invites immediately its usually because Im playing with buddies already.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mister Chief posted:

This has been a problem since Halo 3. Compare Zanzibar to Last Resort and look at all the unnecessary railings that prevent you from navigating the map as quickly.

Because everyone started with a gun that could shoot clear across a map instead of the assault rifle/SMG. You can't have huge open maps anymore when BRs and DMRs are spawning weaponry.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
We're playing Grifball right now and it is sweet. I didn't even know it existed but I love it now.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man... That ending.

It did exactly what Mass Effect 3 did to me, but on purpose. It left me feeling empty, just like the Chief. For the entirety of the game (and most of the series), you had Cortana in your ear chirping useful bits of information and otherwise being your little helper. All throughout 4, you constantly reinforce the idea that getting back to Earth might make it possible to save her from rampancy, only to have it constantly side-tracked by bigger problems with the Didact. But surprise, surprise! His evil planning leads you directly to Earth!

And then we lose her anyway in the process of stopping him. We saved humanity yet again, but just like the last time, our friends are the ones that pay the price. Captain Keyes, Miranda Keyes, Sergeant Johnson, and now Cortana. No matter how capable the Chief is, we as a player are forced to let go of everyone along the way, essentially forcing us to be the sociopathic super-soldier that they painted him as in the beginning scene

I think I need to play online for a few hours and juggle plasma grenades atop a speeding Warthog into the enemy base or something, because that poo poo just got dark. :stare:

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Anim8, this game is loving great. Take pride of the work you put in it dude.

Batham fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 8, 2012

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Please add a wedding ring to that. Please oh please.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there anyway in matchmaking to set it so you only start new games? 3 out of my last 4 games we started in the middle of a match where we were already down by a few hundred points.

Look at the hAlf game as a more interesting matchmaking lobby, and after that game don't back out and you'll start a new one soon. The premise is that losing a game is more fun than waiting for a game.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

madadric posted:

Look at the hAlf game as a more interesting matchmaking lobby, and after that game don't back out and you'll start a new one soon. The premise is that losing a game is more fun than waiting for a game.

Not at it's super important or anything but do those half games count towards your win loss?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

What level do you have to be to be able to make that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OH HOLY gently caress I GET TO DRIVE A MECH :rock:

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Where do you download Forge maps? Waypoint won't download so I don't know where to look.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

OH HOLY gently caress I GET TO DRIVE A MECH :rock:
Me and my buddy started killing eachother to get in the first one during the campaign. Everyone loves mechs.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So there's no matchmaking for campaign co-op? poo poo.
And the metatag is full? drat!

Well I just rented this thing from redbox. If anyone wants some help in co-op, or wants to help me in the beginning of my campaign, let me know, on XBL: Hepnotik

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Just finished the campaign and I'm pretty blown away - the plot, characterization, graphics and music all add up to, for me, the best Halo campaign so far.

I was worried that I'd miss the familiar theme blaring at me, but the new music just gave the whole thing a sense of atmosphere and gravity that I never felt in any of Bungie's titles. The graphics, in particular the mo-cap facial animations are some the best I've seen and I'm extremely impressed that 343i have managed to move into the realm of realistic CG faces without sliding into the uncanny valley.

The ending was superb, if achingly sad. I can't quite believe it as throughout Bungie's titles Chief has been nothing but a soulless quip-machine but watching him after Cortana's death was utterly heart-wrenching. I believe I saw someone say somewhere that Halo 5 was going to be "dark" and after the emotional weight 343i was able to pull off in 4, I very much looking forward to the sequels. Though, I'm not quite sure where they'll go with the story unless the Didact isn't dead or Cortana can be revived in some way.

I've seen quite a few people complaining about the plot and exposition being thin as much of it relies on the books. I would urge all those who felt at all lost by the campaign to check out the terminals as they do an excellent job of providing the essential backstory. It's annoying that you have to go into Waypoint to get at them and only after you've found them throughout the game as I feel playing these as some kind of prologue would have been very helpful to folks.

Here they are if your too lazy to find them in-game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bznq4Zr2gTw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

ChocNitty posted:

So there's no matchmaking for campaign co-op? poo poo.
And the metatag is full? drat!

Well I just rented this thing from redbox. If anyone wants some help in co-op, or wants to help me in the beginning of my campaign, let me know, on XBL: Hepnotik

Get a mic loser!

• Locked thread