Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd throw in a Golf TDI with the GTI as a Mazdaspeed3 if you are considering a WRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm planning to finance and for the 2010 the dealership offered 5.99% with payments at 440/month over 48 months and 330/month over 60 months on the list price with $1000 credit and $2000 down. I haven't talked with my bank or credit union yet but does that seem reasonable? And I'm hoping to get the price down to $14-14.5k but I didn't get into things that far. The other issue is the high residual value; a brand new model MSRP is $16980 and totals out to $18758 before tax with Honda financing.

Thoughts?

I like the Fit a lot. It's a solid, dependable car with good mileage, storage space, and it's easy to park. But given those horrendous (from the perspective of a buyer) used values, why not buy new? It gives you the peace of mind of knowing everything that happened to the car plus the full warranty.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Agronox posted:

I like the Fit a lot. It's a solid, dependable car with good mileage, storage space, and it's easy to park. But given those horrendous (from the perspective of a buyer) used values, why not buy new? It gives you the peace of mind of knowing everything that happened to the car plus the full warranty.

I have been considering buying new for that reason, with the Honda and low mileage premium on used cars. With new cars in Canada PDI and freight is $1450 plus the other fees, however if I can get a lower rate on a new car it might close the gap on the difference versus buying used.

I guess my main question is what's considered to be a great or decent interest rate?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy new. It's a few grand more, but you'll be more likely able to get a lower interest rate on the loan.

The used car market is kind of hosed up right now for not brand new cars. When my Miata exploded, I was looking at getting a 1st gen Honda Fit; however, people asking $15k+ for a 2007/2008 with 70k miles was absolutely ridiculous (the 2012 was $17k).

e: I'm in the US and have barely no credit history and I was able to snag 2.99% from a local CU with no real hassle at all. PenFed is offering like 1.5% on used car loans now, though.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
So I actually read the history report for the 2010 (conveniently offered by the dealership) and there's a repair estimate listed for $2000 :(. Salesman emailed back saying it's for PDR stuff and can send me a work order but who knows.

New might be the way to go, even though I don't want to deal with the stupid TPMS and VSA Honda financing is 3.99% so it might be worth going down that route. I'll talk to the bank and post an update.

Phone: I test drove a Mazda 2 and I was impressed how well the gearbox, brakes and clutch felt. If I was looking for just a commuter car it'd be in the garage by now.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Posting again. My dad's car was totaled a few days ago after being hit by a 16 year old, so he's enlisted my help to find him a used car locally. He's on a strict budget and needs something quick.

Proposed Budget: $3700
New or Used: used
Body Style: 2 or 4 door compact or midsize, not opposed to a hatch or even a wagon though.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver for a decently long commute, interior features aren't very important, but a nice clean semi-minimalistic interior would be nice. He never really drives more than 1 passenger around.
What aspects are most important to you?
He works on his own cars, so it would be nice to get something that is easy to track down parts for. He wants a reliable car that gets decent to good mileage. Cost of ownership is important, but offset by the fact that he can do most labor himself. Most importantly, he really prefers cars with a classic/refined look. He won't be happy driving around say an Accord. He was really liking the BMW's I was showing him stylistically.

Throw me some models so I don't miss anything :)

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 5, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You could swing an E36 3-series for that kind of money, but you should probably recalibrate his expectations. $3,700, good gas mileage, reliable, low TCO and cooler than a Japanese midsizer really doesn't exist.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You could swing an E36 3-series for that kind of money, but you should probably recalibrate his expectations. $3,700, good gas mileage, reliable, low TCO and cooler than a Japanese midsizer really doesn't exist.

I disagree, a Miata meets all of those criteria as long as he doesn't need a backseat. Might even pass for "refined looks". An MR-2 would also meet the criteria, but looks really boy-racer.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I have a question I'm hoping can be answered. My wife and I are looking at getting a certified pre-owned Scion xb. It would have a limited warranty on it but what I am wondering about is the future when the warranty has expired will I need to bring it into a dealership for repairs or should my local mom and pop shop (which I love going to) be able to repair the car? I only ask because I used to own a Jetta that was a bitch to own because every little thing required the dealer to repair it because the local shop wasn't equipped to handle the repair.

Other than that if anyone has a reason why a xb is a bad choice let me know.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

foodfight posted:

I have a question I'm hoping can be answered. My wife and I are looking at getting a certified pre-owned Scion xb. It would have a limited warranty on it but what I am wondering about is the future when the warranty has expired will I need to bring it into a dealership for repairs or should my local mom and pop shop (which I love going to) be able to repair the car? I only ask because I used to own a Jetta that was a bitch to own because every little thing required the dealer to repair it because the local shop wasn't equipped to handle the repair.

Other than that if anyone has a reason why a xb is a bad choice let me know.

xBs aren't especially squirrely when it comes to repairs, unlike some of Toyota's other brands (looking at you, Lexus)

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I've found several cars that meet the bill already. Yeah I know I'm not getting all of that in one car, but that's just a list of what's important. Right now I'm looking at a 99 c230 kompressor that's in the range, mainly since it's grandma owned with low miles and proper maintenance w/ receipts. It at least appears to be promising enough to check out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Weinertron posted:

I disagree, a Miata meets all of those criteria as long as he doesn't need a backseat. Might even pass for "refined looks". An MR-2 would also meet the criteria, but looks really boy-racer.

I actually thought of the Miata afterwards, but figured that if a guy won't be seen in an Accord, he sure as poo poo won't be seen in a Miata.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This guy with a budget of $3,700 "won't be happy driving around say an Accord"? Really? Jesus gently caress there are some weird people out there. He realizes that a new Accord can cost upwards of $30k right?

Yeah I think he should buy this Mercedes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Proposed Budget: Up to $30k
New or Used: New/CPO/Gently used
Body Style: 4 door Hatch or Wagon, Small SUV
How will you be using the car?: DD, hauling 2 dogs, camping trips. Potential road trip.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fuel economy, comfort, fun to drive.
Currently comparing: Focus HB Titanium, Elantra GT, Prius V

My lady is shopping for something to replace her 07 base model Toyota Yaris. Anything is an upgrade at this point as the Yaris is poverty spec. Her commute is around 20 miles and a large portion of this is in the city, so she is wanting an automatic with good fuel efficiency while still being fun to drive. It needs enough room to haul around two medium size dogs. The regular Prius' hatch floor was too high to have the dogs in there.

She also looked at the Impreza hatch, the Forester, the Verano and the Mazda 3 hatch but none of them were high on her list. Am I missing anything else? The Focus seems to be in the lead with the 2k incentive they are running + X-plan pricing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I've found several cars that meet the bill already. Yeah I know I'm not getting all of that in one car, but that's just a list of what's important. Right now I'm looking at a 99 c230 kompressor that's in the range, mainly since it's grandma owned with low miles and proper maintenance w/ receipts. It at least appears to be promising enough to check out.

One of the least reliable cars in human history, but go nuts buddy!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

How will you be using the car?: DD, hauling 2 dogs, camping trips. Potential road trip.

My lady is shopping for something to replace her 07 base model Toyota Yaris. Anything is an upgrade at this point as the Yaris is poverty spec. Her commute is around 20 miles and a large portion of this is in the city, so she is wanting an automatic with good fuel efficiency while still being fun to drive. It needs enough room to haul around two medium size dogs. The regular Prius' hatch floor was too high to have the dogs in there.

She also looked at the Impreza hatch, the Forester, the Verano and the Mazda 3 hatch but none of them were high on her list. Am I missing anything else? The Focus seems to be in the lead with the 2k incentive they are running + X-plan pricing.

I can't really recommend the new automatic Focus just based on all of the issues they are having with DCT programming and reliability.

The Jetta Sportwagen is a good choice if you want good cargo space. The TDI is extremely fuel efficient and the car isn't a bad drive. Reliability is probably a bit more suspect than the Prius, though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

The Focus is fine with a manual, but the automatic transmission the new ones have will pretty reliably blow up. Seriously: Reliable, Focus, automatic - Pick two. Take a good look at the Impreza, VW Golf or Jetta wagon, Elantra GT, or Kia Forte.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 6, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Drunken Lullabies posted:

This is probably the worst car Mercedes has ever made. And I'm including the R-Class and the A-class that failed the moose test. Also, the smart.
If he must have something in that class from Europe at this price range, anything but an E36 is insane.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd throw the Ford C-Max onto your list. Very similar to the Prius V, but IIRC a bit cheaper and a gets negligibly better gas mileage. It also has much more horsepower so it could be a bit more exciting to drive. The only negative I can think of is that the battery sits in the back which raises it up a bit. Could make it harder for the dogs to jump up there.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I test drove both the Ford C-max and Prius V. They are around the same price for comparable amenities, and I would have been happy with either car. I ended up choosing the Prius V because it had more room in the back seat and more cargo space.

However, the Ford C-max is way more super fun to drive (sportier) and has a nicer dashboard setup/cabin (albeit smaller in the back) than the prius V.

Both are great in terms of fuel and comfort, but C-max takes the more fun to drive category.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 6, 2012

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
One of the vehicles recommended to me earlier was a Subaru Outback. My price range puts me in a 2008, so I looked up some dimensions and the rear seat legroom is shorter than all of its' competition. Is that just a characteristic of the method of measurement or is the does the back seat of an Outback really have no legroom? Based on pictures it doesn't look too cramped but without having one here to hop into, hard to tell. Has anyone here sat in the backseat of an outback/legacy?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The 2008 isn't as big as a normal midsize sedan/wagon. I found it slightly tight, and my dad found it impossible, but it really depends on your body type. He's 6'3 and I'm 5'10.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

One of the vehicles recommended to me earlier was a Subaru Outback. My price range puts me in a 2008, so I looked up some dimensions and the rear seat legroom is shorter than all of its' competition. Is that just a characteristic of the method of measurement or is the does the back seat of an Outback really have no legroom? Based on pictures it doesn't look too cramped but without having one here to hop into, hard to tell. Has anyone here sat in the backseat of an outback/legacy?
Not big but not small. With the back seat all the way back, you can fit an adult, but not comfortably. With the seat further up, it can be a reasonable. 4 seater.
Note that the wagon style (like the outback), has significantly more headroom than the sedan.

Caveat: I don't fit in comfortably the back seat of anything smaller than an A8L. I can't do the back of my car.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Surely you mean with the front seat all the way back, yes?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I had no idea, the only thing I know about that Mercedes is that my friend has never had issues with his. Probably luck.

There's nothing outright wrong with an accord, but it's a generally uninteresting car. We've both owned one and we're not trying to go back. Or really trying to go with anything FWD in general. He likes to have fun every once in a while.

Problem with the miata is that it's winter and no one is selling a hard top around here.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
I'm looking for reliability in a <$9k car. I am currently looking at a 2001 Mazda 323 (117,000 kms, timing belt replaced at 100,000) or a 2004 Ford Focus (98,000 kms) both for around $8k.

Any advice on which one to go for (or an alternative that I might find at a similar price point) would be appreciated.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

I'm looking for reliability in a <$9k car. I am currently looking at a 2001 Mazda 323 (117,000 kms, timing belt replaced at 100,000) or a 2004 Ford Focus (98,000 kms) both for around $8k.

Any advice on which one to go for (or an alternative that I might find at a similar price point) would be appreciated.
I don't know about Canada, but in the US $8k gets you into a 2006 Mazda 3.

The 2005+ focus has a much better engine reliability wise than the earlier models (excluding the 2.3PZEV which is fine in pre-2005 vehicles). The Zetec might be ok in earlier models as well, but the base model is a turd.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

nm posted:

The 2005+ focus has a much better engine reliability wise than the earlier models (excluding the 2.3PZEV which is fine in pre-2005 vehicles). The Zetec might be ok in earlier models as well, but the base model is a turd.

The Zetec is quite good. My friend works in a fairly small junkyard and has 16 of them because no one ever buys them. The owner told him to list one on eBay for $300.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

nm posted:

I just checked our AutoTrader and it can get you into a 2008 Mazda3. Hell, there's some Mazdaspeed 3s in that price range.

Update as to my months of waffling between options: bought an 07 G35X yesterday. Tons of fun, but I'm still hoping to pick up enough impaired driving cases to let me buy a dedicated "fun car" for the summer.

Scipio
May 27, 2003
Tender Warrior Poet
My wife and I are trying to decide between a Mazda 2, Mazda 3 sedan or a Fiesta. Right now the 2012 Mazdas have some pretty good incentives for November, and it looks like I could realistically get a 2012 2 Touring for about $15k before trade or down payment or a 3 Touring for about $17k. No pricing on the Fiesta yet, but the dealership near my house insisted that they could be competitive with the Mazda 2.

When I was comparing specs, it looks like the fuel economy on the 3 Touring can get upwards of 40 mpg highway (owner forum chat) which I think beats both the Mazda 2 or the Fiesta. All of the cars are comfortable for my wife and I, and we can fit a car seat in any of them, so we're good there. I'm a bit nervous about the cargo space in the hatchback 2 and Fiesta, but I think we'll be okay.

I guess my questions on this are:

Is there any killer feature on the Fiesta that makes it stand out over these other cars? The only thing I thought was cool was push-button start, but that's only an option on the higher end model anyway.

Is the fuel economy difference between the 2 (34 hwy) and the 3 (40+ hwy reported) compelling enough to make it worth an extra $2k?

Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Scipio posted:

Is there any killer feature on the Fiesta that makes it stand out over these other cars? The only thing I thought was cool was push-button start, but that's only an option on the higher end model anyway.

No. Maybe Ford SYNC if you're really particular about hooking up your phone to the car.

quote:

Is the fuel economy difference between the 2 (34 hwy) and the 3 (40+ hwy reported) compelling enough to make it worth an extra $2k?

Not really.

quote:

GM owns the subcompact and compact segment right now with the Sonic and Cruze. You could give them a try.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 8, 2012

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Scipio posted:

One thing I have finally sussed out in my compact/subcompact research is that the Fiesta's interior space is actually quite small. It will get great mileage and is cheap, as well as being pretty cool, but it doesn't have the utility of a Fit. Interior space is very important to me because I am basically a hoarder, but if it's not that big a deal for you I think the Fiesta offers the best combination of fuel economy, low price, and cool factor.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Right now I am driving a 06 Scion xB with ~96k miles on it. I change the oil every 3-6k miles but other then that the car has had no other real work done on it. I know it needs the timing belt replaced and the front end alignment needs work. The tires on it are 3 yo snow tires and they could really stand to be replaced as well. The exterior of the car is pretty best up and the front windshield has a crack in it, which is a flaw in the design and will happen again if I replace it. Right now the car gets about 30mpg.

I know that to keep this thing driving, I need to drop a few thousand to get this stuff fixed. The issue is, I really don't like the car very much and don't want to put any money into it.

What I would rather do is buy a high mileage, small 4x4 truck (like a Ranger or a Tacoma) and spend money getting it back into daily driver shape. I drive enough for work that I need something with reasonable gas mileage and having the ability to bolt a job box to the bed and not have to lug my tools in and of the car would make me gladly pay more for gas.

I know that buying a reasonable used truck will end up costing between $3-6k but because I still have the xB to drive around I would have more freedom to roll the dice on a cheaper truck that might take longer to get up and reliable.

I would rather spend a few thousand more and get a vehicle I really like and that is more useful to me but I would love someone to shoot holes in my plan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bunnielab posted:

What I would rather do is buy a high mileage, small 4x4 truck (like a Ranger or a Tacoma)
... I need something with reasonable gas mileage

Even a small 4x4 pickup is going to get around 22MPG or worse.

Other than that, I don't see a problem with your plan. You don't want your car, you want a truck, you can sell the car and get a truck. A ranger or s-10 or mazda b-series (94-2000 is the same platform as the ranger) would be perfect - a tacoma would also be great but will cost a little more because it's a toyota.

I don't know if it'd really cost "a few thousand" to fix your Scion, especially if you ignore the cosmetic stuff. You must fix the windscreen (safety) and tires (safety) and timing belt (if it's a collision head, which I don't know). Alignment is probably a great idea to keep it from chewing through the new tires and possibly also for safety depending on how bad it is.

The timing belt service should cost around $600 to $900 depending on how hard it is on that car. Tires cost anywhere from $50/tire for cheapo all-seasons to ~$150/tire for high-quality performance tires, plus some money to have them put on the car. Alignment is maybe a couple hundred? Windshield I dunno, it can vary a lot, but probably three to five hundred. I guess that adds up to something like $1500 to $2000 all told?

With only 96k on the clock that car should be able to run for another 150k miles or so, maybe a lot more if it's well cared-for.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 8, 2012

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Help! Was involved in a hit and run recently which totaled my Sentra. I'm driving a 90s Civic sedan while I look for a better car. I've been monitoring CL for 2-door 5-speed Civic HX's, preferably '96-98 because those years have the most fuel efficient Civics and are super fun to drive. The problem is that most of the time they've either been modded like race cars or have really sketchy third+ generation owners with little documentation. So, I'm open to other ideas. Looking for a car with high fuel efficiency, stick shift, low maintenace, zippy, and adequate trunk space for guitar amps. Bonus if it's like a Scion XB and requires less heavy lifting for that poo poo.

Proposed Budget: $2k-$5k or car payment,I'm financially flexible.
Body Style: Whatever's low weight. I don't need more than 1 passenger.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute to work, moving gear between gigs.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, reliability/low maintenance, good acceleration.

Edit: Don't care much for interior/exterior features/looks. I don't even use A/C.

the tingler fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 8, 2012

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Proposed Budget: 3k and under, for now until I can build up more savings.

Body Style: Sedan of any kind

How will you be using the car?: Daily commute to work, I pretty much don't drive outside a 10 mile radius from my house most of the time so I don't need anything spectacular.

What aspects are most important to you? Has all its basic features functioning, gets me A to B, can last a few years at least.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations for cheap old cars that work as a good daily commuter, literally 6 miles a day to and from work right now. I'm kinda getting overwhelmed as how to buy a car this cheap and not get screwed. I've been looking all over Craigslist, but is it even safe to buy a car there? Has anyone had experience with this? I just need to know what types (make/model) cars I should be on the lookout for? Thanks for any and all help :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

liz posted:

Proposed Budget: 3k and under, for now until I can build up more savings.

Body Style: Sedan of any kind

How will you be using the car?: Daily commute to work, I pretty much don't drive outside a 10 mile radius from my house most of the time so I don't need anything spectacular.

What aspects are most important to you? Has all its basic features functioning, gets me A to B, can last a few years at least.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations for cheap old cars that work as a good daily commuter, literally 6 miles a day to and from work right now. I'm kinda getting overwhelmed as how to buy a car this cheap and not get screwed. I've been looking all over Craigslist, but is it even safe to buy a car there? Has anyone had experience with this? I just need to know what types (make/model) cars I should be on the lookout for? Thanks for any and all help :)

If you're looking for a sub $3k car, you're going to be looking on Craigslist. It's fine, just don't go to an address in the hood with all $3k in a bag in twenties. If you can drive stick you're in better shape, because a dying automatic transmission will be the killer of many a cheap beater.

You're looking for a Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt, Nissan Sentra, something Buick with a 3.8L V6, or a Geo / Chevy Prizm. Honestly, with a $3k budget just look for something that doesn't have perforating rust and please, please, take a car to a mechanic and get him to look it over.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Weinertron posted:

If you're looking for a sub $3k car, you're going to be looking on Craigslist. It's fine, just don't go to an address in the hood with all $3k in a bag in twenties. If you can drive stick you're in better shape, because a dying automatic transmission will be the killer of many a cheap beater.

You're looking for a Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt, Nissan Sentra, something Buick with a 3.8L V6, or a Geo / Chevy Prizm. Honestly, with a $3k budget just look for something that doesn't have perforating rust and please, please, take a car to a mechanic and get him to look it over.

Thank you! This helps give me some direction, and yes i will definitely get it checked out by a mechanic. Any idea what range i could get a decent used car at if i decided to save more, would a few grand really make a difference when it comes to old cars like this?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

liz posted:

if i decided to save more, would a few grand really make a difference when it comes to old cars like this?

Yes, at the bottom of the market, the difference between 3k and 5k and 7k can be pretty enormous. Not to say that there aren't reliable cars for 3k, but you're going to have to set your expectations pretty low and also sort through TONS of crap. Especially since used car prices are historically high right now. At least around here, a car that starts and runs semi-reliably is worth $1000-1500 minimum. That's a pretty low bar, and your 3k budget is not very much above that. It really helps if you have some automotive knowledge, or at least do a lot of homework before diving in.

I just helped guide a friend through the used car buying process and he ended up raising his initial budget from sub-3k to sub-6k because the market got considerably better (but is still littered with poo poo) in that price range for him. Even still, he had 2 seemingly-promising cars inspected that turned out to be hiding some relatively large problems and had to bail on them. He eventually found a base model 2002 Civic in the low 100k miles range that miraculously had maintenance records for about 5k. It's got some comsetic issues and has no bells or whistles, but all the important stuff got an overall clean inspection report so he jumped on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

liz posted:

Thank you! This helps give me some direction, and yes i will definitely get it checked out by a mechanic. Any idea what range i could get a decent used car at if i decided to save more, would a few grand really make a difference when it comes to old cars like this?

As the poster above said, the market for beaters is a mess right now because of the slow economy and cash for clunkers. If you can scrape up enough pennies to search in the $5k range you will very likely save money in the long term.