Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

It's a piece of metal much like your car keys. So ask yourself, would a set of car keys in (location) set off an alarm, you should be fine.
Inside a bag that gets x-rayed, good.
In your pocket as you walk through a metal detector, bad.

edit:
Put a note on the box that says "This is an engagement ring please do not let my girlfriend see it."

Yeah that makes sense. I just didn't know if the diamond would screw with the X-ray (it isn't particularly big, I just mean in general) and cause a scene, because I tend to have bad luck with things like that so I'm a little paranoid. I'll chance it though; worst comes to worst hooray security line proposal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I just didn't know if the diamond would screw with the X-ray (it isn't particularly big, I just mean in general) and cause a scene, because I tend to have bad luck with things like that so I'm a little paranoid. I'll chance it though; worst comes to worst hooray security line proposal?

When I travel I usually bring some electronic prototype with me, with wires and PCBs all crammed into a box both through the security line and checked baggage and its never been a problem. A ring won't be an issue at all.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

Watching the election tonight and seeing what I assumed were a few secret service agents, a strange though came to mind.

I know that when a president dies, the vice president takes control for the remainder of the term (correct me if I'm wrong).

What would happen if, theoretically, Obama had a heart attack and died before being sworn in for his next term. Would Biden still take over for the next four years? Would Romney become president? I'm not sure if this interim period changes the normal course of action.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

tarepanda posted:

My girlfriend moved to America for an internship and doesn't have a phone. I did set her up with a Galaxy Nexus, but she needs a SIM card.

I want to get her a T-Mobile prepaid card (I hear the unlimited data on the 30/mo plan is a steal), but I've been hearing that you're required to put in your SSN and answer various snoopy questions that they dig up about your family... when you activate it and when you renew every month.

1. Do they require an SSN for online activation?

2. Do they ask all kinds of bullshitty questions like that when you activate?

3. Do they ask those kinds of questions when you renew every month?

4. How difficult is the activation process?

I was in the US on a visa a couple of years ago. Got a prepaid phone since I didn't have any credit history and couldn't get a regular plan. When I got the phone I didn't even have a SSN yet.

I never had to give them my name or anything, just activated it online and registering with name and address was optional. I paid by buying cards that you get a code from that you enter in the phone.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Subway Ninja posted:

Watching the election tonight and seeing what I assumed were a few secret service agents, a strange though came to mind.

I know that when a president dies, the vice president takes control for the remainder of the term (correct me if I'm wrong).

What would happen if, theoretically, Obama had a heart attack and died before being sworn in for his next term. Would Biden still take over for the next four years? Would Romney become president? I'm not sure if this interim period changes the normal course of action.

This is just me possibly misremembering my high school government class, but I'm pretty sure the President doesn't need to be sworn in again for a second term, and yes, Joe Biden would become president in your hypothetical situation.

Also, Joe Biden as president would loving rule.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm trying to sell a laptop and already made a listing, but the other day I slipped and fell, cracking a small corner of the casing. The laptop is otherwise perfectly fine and is still under warranty, but idk what to do? I don't feel its worth reducing the price because the damage is very minor and the buyer can still send it in under warranty if it bothers him.

I need some feedback.

Edit: sorry if this is a double post my phone sucks

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm trying to sell a laptop and already made a listing, but the other day I slipped and fell, cracking a small corner of the casing. The laptop is otherwise perfectly fine and is still under warranty, but idk what to do? I don't feel its worth reducing the price because the damage is very minor and the buyer can still send it in under warranty if it bothers him.

I need some feedback.

Edit: sorry if this is a double post my phone sucks

Update the post. It's up to you whether you reduce the price, but the state of the product has changed and it's a complete rear end in a top hat thing to do to not notify people about it before they waste their time coming to see you / look at it / etc.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well it happened right after it sold. I also don't know how long it takes for PayPal to show the funds as available either...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Double post phone :(

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 7, 2012

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Subway Ninja posted:

What would happen if, theoretically, Obama had a heart attack and died before being sworn in for his next term. Would Biden still take over for the next four years?

U.S. Constitution, Amendment XX, Section 3: If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I'm trying to find some information I can only vaguely recall. It was some sort of scientific opinion piece about what steps humanity could take to ensure the survival of the species in case of worse case scenario. It included things like the world seed banks, writing and distributing copies of a book that would explain how to recreate technologies that might be lost were much of human civilization to be destroyed, and ultimately establishing independent off-world human colonies as the only sure-fire insurance for a global catastrophe. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
This might be a weird request but I read an interesting article in the previous Election thread about the morality of imposing a personal belief on a majority. Was about abortion and how it would be immoral to impose your personal belief on a majority of the people as a person in power. Anyone remember it or have a link to it?

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code

Liebfraumilch posted:

I have The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Active New Religions, Sects, and Cults on my lap and really meant to give this a go, but the indices are useless for such a question. I have "Alternate Group Names", a "Categorical Index" that divides them by things such as Adventist groups, Hindu Revival and Reform Groups, New Thought Groups, etc, "Geographical", and "Personal Names" in the sense of leaders, founders, important figures (none of which are Jenner, sadly). I'm just one person with one probably-inadequate book, but if you can scare up any more details it could help me or some other helpful soul? Assuming it wasn't answered in the meantime.

I've come to grips with the realization that I've probably hallucinated the hole thing . Thanks for the work though , You're a champ!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I noticed in this brain scan animation I found online that there is an asymmetry in the back part of the brain. The left himisphere is larger in the rear, and the cerebellum is larger on the right. Is this pattern common?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Bifford posted:

I noticed in this brain scan animation I found online that there is an asymmetry in the back part of the brain. The left himisphere is larger in the rear, and the cerebellum is larger on the right. Is this pattern common?

So the head is not a perfect sphere, and if I take a slice out of it I wont end up with a perfectly symmetrical shape. MRI does not perfectly line up either, a head is always tiled slightly in all three planes. So there is not really an asymmetry in the brain per se, but rather in how the image is sampled.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
So, sort of an ethical question I've been having a discussion about. How long after you start a job can you leave it? I'm talking morally or whatever, not legally--assume no employment contract. Also assume this is a moderately professional job, an office job requiring a graduate-level education.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sir John Falstaff posted:

So, sort of an ethical question I've been having a discussion about. How long after you start a job can you leave it? I'm talking morally or whatever, not legally--assume no employment contract. Also assume this is a moderately professional job, an office job requiring a graduate-level education.

You can't have a moral or ethical obligation to a corporation. :ughh:

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

I've left jobs after 2 months without issue. And it was because I was unhappy with the atmosphere and they sold me something that it wasn't. I left for a better position, so I didn't have any gaps in my resume, and my new boss understood when I told him why I was looking for change so quickly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

shelper posted:

I've come to grips with the realization that I've probably hallucinated the hole thing . Thanks for the work though , You're a champ!

Cao Daism was reputed to include Victor Hugo and Joan of Arc in their canon of saints. I don't remember any scientists in their eclectic list, but that might be what you're thinking of.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So when you sell a thing on ebay, you don't get your funds until AFTER the person receives their poo poo? What the gently caress?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So when you sell a thing on ebay, you don't get your funds until AFTER the person receives their poo poo? What the gently caress?

Look at it from the other side - I'm not comfortable with you getting paid until I have goods in my hands - I pay money to an escrow service (thieving PayPal fuckwits), you send the goods knowing the money has been 'pledged', when the goods are delivered (not lost in post or just flat out not sent) you get paid.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Look at it from the other side - I'm not comfortable with you getting paid until I have goods in my hands - I pay money to an escrow service (thieving PayPal fuckwits), you send the goods knowing the money has been 'pledged', when the goods are delivered (not lost in post or just flat out not sent) you get paid.

I could understand the funds being released when you provide shipping info and a tracking number, and by doing so you have protection against it (requiring them to sign for it and it's reflected via paypal so they can't say nuh uh) but eugh.

It's only because I've only sold something once on ebay like...3 years ago. They do this if you've sold less than $250, haven't been an active seller in 90 days or more (:whoptc:) and some other stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wyatt posted:

U.S. Constitution, Amendment XX, Section 3: If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President.

n/m, didn't read "president elect".

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well it happened right after it sold. I also don't know how long it takes for PayPal to show the funds as available either...

Yes, if someone has promised to pay you for an item in one condition and it is suddenly in a different condition you should tell them. It doesn't matter if it's "small", it's still not what they paid for.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I always thought a cable is a cable is a cable but...

My micro USB cable for the AC adapter for my Galaxy Nexus got damaged, so I got a replacement generic from the generic wireless store in the mall.

I've had it plugged in here, and it's taken like 30 minutes to charge only 10 percent (which is really, really slow). And, when I used it, it actually dropped from 35 to 34 percent while still charging.

So, piece of crap cable? How do I know what the good ones are?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Look for a cable that is OEM (original equipment manufacture). Here's one on Amazon.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Morally? An instant after you decide to leave. Trust me, that's how long you'd be there after they decided to get rid of you.

Pragmatically? Why are you leaving? If the job isn't what they said it would be, or if its a new type of job and you're not fitting in I think they'd understand that. If its because you got a better job you may be burning some bridges, but unless you're in a small insular profession that probably won't outweigh the benefits of leaving.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I got my first smartphone and I'm wondering if I should get something like Lookout, or some other kind of "find my lost phone if I lose it, lock it up if it gets stolen" app.

Is Lookout on the level? Are there any things about it that are shady, or that are bad with regards to phone performance etc?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Stupid question: if I want to book a train journey online in the UK, which website should I be using?

I'm looking to get up from near Cardiff to Cambridge, and trains are probably the best way to do that. Most of the trains around Cardiff are Arriva Trains Wales, so should I just go to their website? I've never done this thing before, obviously.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
http://www.thetrainline.com/ is a one-stop shop for UK train tickets. But it might not get you the best prices.

Trains from Cardiff to London (you need to go via London it seems) are operated by First Great Western and that is definitely the longest and most expensive part of your journey so you might get a better deal from them http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I could have sworn there was a leasing questions thread but I can't find it.

A friend of mine has a lease signed with a roommate, but due to some issues, the roommate wants out. My friend can either find someone to replace her or just break the lease, which is preferable. However, the roommate refuses to pay her half of the $3000 lease cancellation fee. Is there any way to force the roommate to split this? Can the roommate even get a new lease on a different apartment while still on this one, considering she doesn't make enough to cover two leases?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
I'm looking for the name of an old SNES game. It was a Japanese game that was never released in America, and the rom was translated into English. The story was based on Pinocchio and involved robots. The name was something like Magical Pino or something simialr, alsthough Google brought nothing up for that name.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I'm looking for the name of an old SNES game. It was a Japanese game that was never released in America, and the rom was translated into English. The story was based on Pinocchio and involved robots. The name was something like Magical Pino or something simialr, alsthough Google brought nothing up for that name.
Can't help you with your question, but you can try asking here:
Games you've forgotten the name of (V. eleventybillion and two)

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Here you go!

e: oh drat didn't notice that someone beat me to it in the 'identify old games' thread.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

RFX posted:

A friend of mine has a lease signed with a roommate, but due to some issues, the roommate wants out. My friend can either find someone to replace her or just break the lease, which is preferable. However, the roommate refuses to pay her half of the $3000 lease cancellation fee. Is there any way to force the roommate to split this? Can the roommate even get a new lease on a different apartment while still on this one, considering she doesn't make enough to cover two leases?

Lease questions like this come up in the legal mega thread all the time, so you could ask there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RFX posted:

The legal questions megathread is the best place to go, but it goes something like this (I AM NOT A LAWYER, but I have studied some laws regarding leasing for friends):

Both renting parties entered into a legally binding contract (presumably), a lease, which has a stipulation of a $3000 early termination fee.

Legally, if the roommate wants out, they should have to pay for half of the money owed. But it gets a little fuzzy. She could bail completely (pack up and move away over a weekend) and leave your friend responsible for that $3000 fee. This wouldn't be wise on her part as now she would technically be in breach of contract with the leasing entity and your friend would probably end up taking her to small claims court. That could possibly get even more interesting as since the roommate's name is on the lease, depending on how long this went on for, if she is not paying her monthly share of the rent, your friend could potentially sue for half of the rent, plus half of the early withdrawal fee. Or if she packed up unannounced, there could be sway in a court to say that since she broke the contract by leaving, she would be responsible for more than half (but that is WAY beyond my scope and would be something to be debated in front of a judge)

The main takeaway is that if the lease is terminated, the apartment is going to get their money, one way or the other. Simplest solution for everyone is to keep the lawyers out of it.

But there are other, less painful options:
There's a lot of potential factors here we don't know, and I don't know if you would even have the answers, but do you know why the roommate wants out? Are they fighting? Did she lose her job or something? Is your friend abusive/cooking meth in the apartment? If it's something that can be resolved, both people are probably better off financially just putting up with the situation until the lease ends.

TL;DR: Both people who are on the lease are legally responsible for any breach of contract fees, and any sane court would state that the split for such fees would be 50/50 (barring any mitigating circumstances)

Oh, and to answer your second question: No, there is nothing to stop someone from having several leases for several apartments (even within the same complex) in their name. If you can pass a credit/background check and can pay your rent, you can rent as many properties as you want, legally. The trick is that you are still liable for anything you sign for.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Which degrees (any major or undergrad, grad, professional, any level), are typically worth paying more for from a private school and at private school rates than a reputable (in-)state school? I've always been kind of curious if SA has ever had a consensus.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is it possible to change USB 3.0 to Thunderbolt with an adapter? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro which only has USB 2.0 but it does have Thunderbolt, and I'm trying to choose some external hard drive stuff. Thunderbolt drives are stupid expensive :(

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I ordered a Blu-Ray player on Newegg a while back, and hadn't had cause to set it up till now. In the bag with the manual is one of those cables that have red/yellow/white plugs on each end, which I think (from my DVD-player days) is for SD out, but I don't see the red/green/blue/yellow/white cable or an HDMI. Am I missing something about this type of cable or do I need to buy an HDMI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

User-Friendly posted:

I ordered a Blu-Ray player on Newegg a while back, and hadn't had cause to set it up till now. In the bag with the manual is one of those cables that have red/yellow/white plugs on each end, which I think (from my DVD-player days) is for SD out, but I don't see the red/green/blue/yellow/white cable or an HDMI. Am I missing something about this type of cable or do I need to buy an HDMI?
That's a composite video cable. You will need to buy an HDMI cable, unless you bought some weird-rear end Blu-Ray player that only has composite out. Read the manual.