Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Ninpo posted:

There's a huge logical fallacy in this post here. If you can't stop, you're still addicted. If you're convincing yourself with "just one" you're still addicted.

I meant more like 1 a month or so. It is stupid but I just don't like the idea of never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Ninpo posted:

There's a huge logical fallacy in this post here. If you can't stop, you're still addicted. If you're convincing yourself with "just one" you're still addicted.

My idea was to feel better about quitting by doing it like that, then actually quitting. Because whenever I smoked even more, then quit, I felt like I'm going crazy.

Also I don't think you can say (or think) that you're not addicted anymore and then just quit. You will want to smoke a cigarette after you quit, always. That's what a craving is, the thought "I want a cigarette". And you're not going to not have cravings. So you're always "still addicted" after smoking your hopefully last cigarette, you just have to know better.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Pizzatime posted:

My idea was to feel better about quitting by doing it like that, then actually quitting. Because whenever I smoked even more, then quit, I felt like I'm going crazy.

Also I don't think you can say (or think) that you're not addicted anymore and then just quit. You will want to smoke a cigarette after you quit, always. That's what a craving is, the thought "I want a cigarette". And you're not going to not have cravings. So you're always "still addicted" after smoking your hopefully last cigarette, you just have to know better.

I disagree based on my experience. When I quit I knew I would never smoke a single cigarette again.
If you are constantly waiting for that moment that would allow you to smoke... doesn't that suck?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 8, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Boner Slam posted:

I disagree based on my experience. When I quit I knew I would never smoke a single cigarette again.
If you are constantly waiting for that moment that would allow you to smoke... doesn't that suck?

Yes. Yes it does.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Boner Slam posted:

I went through a phase of this during my first attempt (now am 6 weeks smoke free guys it is awesome keep at it), and I made some really bad choices to put myself in that position that would "allow" me to smoke. It was awful and it made me feel awful. Do it or be done, don't quibble about it. Your brain wants to fight you on this one. Don't let it. Smoking isn't cool and isn't what "the cool artsy kids" do or whatever poo poo makes you want to be able to bust one out once a month to show off or whatever.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
This might sound more than slightly absurd but I got there by thinking of a situation where I would positively say "gently caress it let me have one".

For me that would be if loved ones would die in front of me and someone offers me a smoke.
I would then really try to get to a point where I would not smoke nonetheless, like come to the realization that a lovely situation is independend of me smoking and smoking does not make it any better, especially if I am no longer physically addicted. But not just on a rational level, also emotionally... hard to explain.
This takes some serious brain crunching and its not pleasent but once you are there, take a slightly less drastic situation and it will be easier. Finally you are at the usual drinking with friends situation and trying to solve that mentally is far easier then.

This kind of autosuggestive exercise really reduced the cravings to almost zero for me.

I am, btw, literally the person who said "The reason I can not stop smoking is because I can not bear the thought of never smoking again".

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
It's been years since I've had a cigarette. Just today, I was extremely tempted to bum one, even with everything I know about the difference quitting has made in my life, and how "just one" will never be enough. For me, it's a situation of denying myself every opportunity to have one or going back to it full-tilt. I don't imagine it's much different for other people who have quit.

Nephielle
Mar 25, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm down to 10 a day. I noticed how easy it is to justify just another cigarette at the end of the day, and I disappoint myself by thinking like that. But that's the thing. I can see that it is not okay and stop myself, but it's there! I'm going to cut them out completely soon enough.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
I'm a bit of a 5 a week person, verging on no more than three a day. It's pretty much been this way for 3 years now. I guess I'd consider myself a moderate smoker, but culturally here in america that doesn't really exist. Either you're a cancer spewing smoke stack pariah, or you're clean and normal. But regardless I'll often go smoke really rear end early in the morning (2-4am) and use my cigarettes as an excuse to go walk around and listen to music. It feels weird because I see so many other people I've talked to and hung around say they started this way but quickly feel into pack-a-day habits and I can't be sure if I'm falling into bad habits and making excuses, or if I'm just enjoying a smoke when I'm stressed. I still believe in "Smoking is an adult pleasure, please enjoy responsibly." and I'll say that a solid 5 minutes of smoke after work or classes is a seldom rivaled relaxation, but nowadays I get poo poo left and right for doing it.

Really my ultimate question is: when I smoke, I find it hard to get beyond that third cigarette, probably due to the pace at which I smoke them, but for the days afterwards when I don't go out to smoke, I'll often feel slightly nauseous, or fatigued, or get a slight headache. I'm wondering (if it's related to smoking at all) if my body is trying desperately to tell me to keep smoking, and I'm just not listening, Or if my body is desperately trying to tell me to stop, and I'm still not listening.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

SevenSocks posted:

I'm a bit of a 5 a week person, verging on no more than three a day. It's pretty much been this way for 3 years now. I guess I'd consider myself a moderate smoker, but culturally here in america that doesn't really exist. Either you're a cancer spewing smoke stack pariah, or you're clean and normal. But regardless I'll often go smoke really rear end early in the morning (2-4am) and use my cigarettes as an excuse to go walk around and listen to music. It feels weird because I see so many other people I've talked to and hung around say they started this way but quickly feel into pack-a-day habits and I can't be sure if I'm falling into bad habits and making excuses, or if I'm just enjoying a smoke when I'm stressed. I still believe in "Smoking is an adult pleasure, please enjoy responsibly." and I'll say that a solid 5 minutes of smoke after work or classes is a seldom rivaled relaxation, but nowadays I get poo poo left and right for doing it.

Really my ultimate question is: when I smoke, I find it hard to get beyond that third cigarette, probably due to the pace at which I smoke them, but for the days afterwards when I don't go out to smoke, I'll often feel slightly nauseous, or fatigued, or get a slight headache. I'm wondering (if it's related to smoking at all) if my body is trying desperately to tell me to keep smoking, and I'm just not listening, Or if my body is desperately trying to tell me to stop, and I'm still not listening.

Probably nicotine addiction saying you should smoke more.

The reason most people are sceptical is that most start with very little smoking. It's not that everytime it goes from nothing to a pack a day.
Many have smoked moderatly just because of the life situation and then for one reason or another ramped it up. It's just how it goes with smoking. Very few people are unique in this regard.
You can see many of the general phases in this thread. There's "I smoke only on parties" or "Only once in a while", or "I only smoke X cigs a week", then theres "I really enjoy smoking, why stop?", "I know it's unhealthy but at this point I got other things to worry about", "I need it because of stress", "Never smoking again? I can't do that!" etc.
Most people have gone through every phase and thought they were somehow special while in it.

But here is a thing to watch out for. You have already one wrong wiring in your brain: "Cigarettes when I am stressed out". This is one of those many things that smokers start to honestly believe, even though cigarettes are in the end a cause of stress for your mind and body only relieve the stress that was added by the addiction.

So yeah, colour me sceptical.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Boner Slam posted:

Probably nicotine addiction saying you should smoke more.

So yeah, colour me sceptical.

I really couldn't blame you for being skeptical, seeing as how I am myself. I simply don't like the all or nothing mentality of smoking. If I get an overwhelming "There is no such thing as moderation" then I'll probably just 'forget' to buy a new pack this month... and next month... and next year. And so on and so forth and replace it with some other (hopefully) less money consuming habit.

It seems like everyone has a horror story, and my suspension of disbelief can only hold up for so long, maybe if I gave smoking another year, or another three or four I'd find my personal horror story, but so far it's just been another thing. That said, I hardly believe I'm special, and I apologize if I came off sounding like I did, just curious where I was at.

I bought this pack about a week and a half ago when I was on the tail end of my pack of menthols. I find these to be pretty offputting, mainly because when I try to light them in the wind I botch it and I get a very uneven smoke and ashy flavor. I know a lady in my complex who tried to quit smoking over this past summer and is right back into it. Maybe she could give them a better home.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Yeah if it works for you then all is well. I was just trying to point out that this casual smoking is how the majority of heavy smokers start out with, so please do be careful.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Well I still thank you for the honesty, I'm a bit used to the polarized responses.

I hope that you manage the clean path, and most importantly, enjoy yourself. So many of the smokers I know turned to it because they couldn't find a lot of happiness in anything else. But it sounds like you're doing well.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Some who have quit together with me have the same mindset. Everything sucks, I want to smoke, but I will overpower it with the strength of my will.
That is not something I could have ever succeeded with - I am not strong willed enough.

Yeah I really don't miss it. I know I could smoke a cigarette at any time without falling off any wagon, but I just really don't want to.
I am extremely happy to be done with this part and because of how better I feel at any given point in time I don't really miss it either.
Especially beeing able to cope with stress has made a huge influence. Additionally I realize now how ten, twelve years of smoking have already attacked my body. I am positive that I would not have been one of those 90 year old smokers. I would have probably died from this poo poo pretty early.

As I have written so many times it is only really the end if you end it mentally, if you are happy with your decision not only in general but also when it comes to every single insignificant cigarette.
It is more than anything else a mental thing.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.
Haven't posted in this thread before, but.

I pretty much stopped smoking last week. I was at one time at 3 packs a day, but have been at a pack for about the last 6 years. I didn't want to quit because I actually enjoyed smoking. I'd have 3 on each way to and from work, and then have on almost every hour. I'd get a crazy headache and just plain rage if I didn't.

A couple weeks ago I got sick, and I never get sick. I have been feeling like poo poo for a solid month until every cigarette I had started to taste horrible. I bought the blu ecig kit and I know haven't had a cigarrete in over a week, and even the ecig I only use a couple times a day. It's quite amazing how much better you feel overall just shortly after you stop smoking.

Good luck to all of those who are trying as well, it's not easy but worth it.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Hey guys, smoker for 2 years here. I don't do well without nicotine, I get really anxious. Quit before for a month using e-cigs. Any recommendations on cheapo nicotine type gums? The boyfriend smokes so it's going to be hard for me to quit entirely for a while.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

The Big Whoop posted:

Any recommendations on cheapo nicotine type gums?

I used Habitrol "Fruit Flavor Nicotine Chewing Gum" with great success. I don't know how they compare price-wise but if you live here in NZ it's subsidized through Quitline ($2 for like 4 boxes).

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Habitro is cheaper than nicorette on amazon, and I'm in the US unfortunately. I'm currently smoking rolling cigarettes, American Spirits.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
I quit last August and smoked my last cigarette last November (Fell off the wagon last Bonfire Night) and I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I smoked for about eighteen years all in, read the Allan Carr book and stopped. It was my second attempt at quitting and it worked for me. There are so many benefits to quitting - you stop wasting money, you stop smelling terrible, you can gently caress without wheezing like a set of stepped-on bagpipes - it's just great and you should all keep on doing what you're doing.

The biggest thing for me was the moment where I realised I didn't have to think about cigarettes any more. They take over your life. If I was going anywhere I was always conscious that I would need to find somewhere to go outside and smoke. If it was late at night and I realised I was shorter on tobacco than I thought I was then I'd be bouncing off the walls worrying whether I could make those few cigarettes last until the shop opened at 7am, because there was no way I could sleep until I knew I had enough tobacco. I was completely neurotic about it and the most hilarious thing was that one of the reasons I gave for not-quitting for so many years was 'I'd be too stressed without it.'

Of course, it was the stupid loving cigarettes that were making me stressed in the first place.

So I stopped smoking. I downloaded the Carr book and read it. I won't say it was easy, because it wasn't. I walked around pale and twitchy for about five days while my family carefully avoided doing anything that might have annoyed me - like talking, or moving too suddenly. Nicotine's a hell of a drug. It's also a crap drug. It doesn't make you believe (however ill founded that belief) that you are interesting, doesn't make the bathroom fixtures come to life and smile and doesn't even make you giggle and walk five miles in the dark to the All-Night garage because you really want a Kit-Kat. It doesn't do any of these things. It's poo poo. It's just loving crap. All it does is turn your teeth yellow and give you cancer. It's a worthless prick of a drug, not even recreational.

The first couple of weeks were hard, even though I'd told myself I didn't want to smoke, but at some point there was this feeling that I would never, if I wanted to, have to think about cigarettes again. Ever. I could buy normal strength toothpaste and breathe easy while walking up hills. I wouldn't have to stand in the porch in the rain. I wouldn't lie awake at night listening to my heart beating too fast and worry that I might never see sixty. Most of all, I could ditch that anxiety, that gnawing, frantic worry that I might run out of cigarettes. I looked for that anxiety, rummaged around in the back of my mind and tried to coax it out, but it was literally gone. Vanished. If you've ever suffered from any kind of anxiety you'll know it's a beast to slay - it can take a great deal of therapy, CBT, medication - you name it. For it to just go like that was nothing short of magic, but there it was. It was gone. This huge, awful source of stress and worry had been removed from my life. And the guilt was gone too - the guilt that I was pissing money away on this useless little rear end in a top hat drug and paying money to some of the most nakedly evil companies on the planet.

I'm not sure exactly when this moment came but I do know it was one of the most liberating things I've ever experienced in my life. It was totally worth the cold turkey, to know that I could just say :byewhore: to tobacco and never have to think about the loving substance again if I didn't want to. Total freedom.

Now, I won't say I have become some kind of chilled out zen goddess thanks to not smoking, but it has made a huge difference to my general stress levels. Now I can actually exercise without getting breathless and channel the stress and aggression into something that does me good, the exact same stress I used to think I was assuaging by smoking.

This thread was one of the things that made me want to quit in the first place. Seeing you goons prove that it wasn't impossible made me think 'Yeah, I'll have a crack at that' and I just want to say thanks and keep on quitting, because you're all doing a great thing for yourselves. Patch, pill, book - whatever gets you there, you won't regret it. Thanks guys.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Boner Slam posted:

I know I could smoke a cigarette at any time without falling off any wagon

If you smoke, you've fallen off the wagon.

For context, replace "smoke a cigarette" with "have a drink" in a thread about alcoholics.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Two months cigarette free! I want to thank everyone who recommended Allen Car's book. I was really skeptical of it, and in some ways still am, but it worked!? I was able to quit during the chapter about the final cigarette, and haven't gone back at all. And after about a month of hell it just... went away. I don't wake up thinking about them, and I don't crave them anymore. They smell awful. It's pretty amazing!

JohannesSilentio
Mar 15, 2012
I have been a somewhat casual smoker over the past few years, usually at parties/bars, but with the stress of university I am now smoking daily (albeit only 1 or 2 cigarettes). I am also increasingly inactive due to school and this combination has had a number of negative effects-shortness of breath, acne breakouts, etc.- that I never experienced. I know this pales in comparison to the addiction many people suffer, but I also know that it is a slippery slope from 1 or 2 to an entire pack as admittedly I do enjoy smoking and I am becoming more comfortable with regularly smoking.

What I was wondering from anyone who cares to answer is steps to help curb the addiction I am developing. Any suggestions/similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hels
May 26, 2003

JohannesSilentio posted:

What I was wondering from anyone who cares to answer is steps to help curb the addiction I am developing. Any suggestions/similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing you can do is stop. Good luck.

I'm just two days into quitting for the millionth time. This time cold turkey, no gum, no nothing. It's not hard. I'm done. I just have to remember a month in that it's not okay to have just one.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
It has been about three months since I quit; I'm quitting for the first (hopefully last) time. Over the past four days or so I've been struck with cravings unlike any that I have had since the first three days of quitting. Parts of my life might be a little more stressful these days, and I bummed a cigarette yesterday prior to an exam (I think it just gave me a headache half an hour later). Is this common? I guess I have to keep reminding myself of the benefits.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

I am two days away from the three month mark and I have been having cravings as well. I have been dreaming about cigarets and have been thinking about them a lot. The other day i had to walk by the big cabinet full of smokes in the grocery store and got bad cravings.

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
I don't know what to do anymore. Over the past six months I must've literally tried to quit sixteen times and it lasts from one day to three weeks but I always fall back in.

I tried Allen Carr's book, didn't work for me. I tried gum, patches, a nicotine free e-cig and then a nicotine e-cig. I'm 23, is this impossible for me to quit at this age?

I've been smoking for 4.5 years and I really want to quit before I become the dreaded 5 years smoker. Could I possibly try the lozenge and use an e-cig for the oral addiction? I'm running out of ideas.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Why do you come back to smoking? Can you recount the actual times when you fell off?

At first sight I find it worrying that you are searching for all kinds of tools or agencies to help you quit, recounting the onces you already tried. In the end you will have to do it by yourself anyways, after all 4,5 years is plenty to become full fletched addicted. There is no physical cure that might work, instead there is a mindset as a collection of mental realizations/fixes that will allow you to go on without cravings.

Edit: I know people who quit with 23. It's possible.

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
It's usually because of the physical addiction. I didn't have any withdrawal prangs with the 21 mg patches so I stayed on them for three weeks, but then when I got down a notch I was cranky and a jerk to my girlfriend. Same thing happened with the gum and the e-cig, which does not give me enough nicotine so I always go back to smoking. I guess I'd have to do it trainspotting style and lock myself in a room for a week with tomato soup and lube.

pastorrich fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 15, 2012

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Pastorrich, what you're saying sounds exactly like me. I quit numerous times, am a jerk to my girlfriend when I quit, tried everything I could find, am also 23.
Having said that, I don't really know what to tell you, since I also don't really know what to tell myself. I have those pills that are pretty much nicotine with peppermint flavour. They taste like crap but make you behave like a normal person, I sometimes take 1-3 a day when quitting and it works really well. The real problem is the mentality though. What always makes me go back to smoking is thinking of the next weekend I will have with my friends. All we do most of the time is smoke weed, drink beer, play videogames and, of course, smoke cigarettes. I only managed to have such a weekend-day and not smoke a single time, and it was awesome. Then we went to a party and I smoked. It works against any logic. You just have to cut it out. gently caress all the little helpers, gently caress all the worries, and gently caress smoking. It's the best advice I can give you.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I'm trying to quit again. Last one was this morning at about 10 AM. I'm already wanting to stop on my way in to work and by more haha. I was prompted to quit because I went to the dr the other day and my blood pressure was crazy high, so much so that the dr said if it stays high they may have to put me on something for it. At 22 years old it would be loving embarrassing to be taking blood pressure medication so I figured it was time to stop.

Let's see if I can stick to this.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I smoked Thursday, 1.5 cigs, and threw the rest away, I'm not really getting cravings, but I really need to stop. It was a really bad day.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Drewsky posted:

I'm trying to quit again. Last one was this morning at about 10 AM. I'm already wanting to stop on my way in to work and by more haha. I was prompted to quit because I went to the dr the other day and my blood pressure was crazy high, so much so that the dr said if it stays high they may have to put me on something for it. At 22 years old it would be loving embarrassing to be taking blood pressure medication so I figured it was time to stop.

Let's see if I can stick to this.

At my worst my blood pressure was really high as well. I just tested it at a pharmacy and it was barely below the "seek a doctor immediately" line. Its one of those aspects of smoking that creeps up on you.

I'm taking a new approach to quitting and I'm pretty excited about it. I've tried tapering a lot. While I've had some success its never completely worked. I've been able to get down to about 6 cigarettes a day for a month, but anything below that was a test of will and I failed consistently.

A lot of people hype the "change your mindset" approach and while effective, it doesn't work for me at all. I can get as motivated as possible while smoking, but always fail during the throes of withdrawal. When I'm withdrawing hard its like I'm a different person. Stoned on angry weed is the best I can describe it. Things that were important become absolutely meaningless. Its like telling someone who's sleepy to stop being sleepy. You can pump yourself up to pull an all nighter in the middle of the day, but its a completely different game when its 4:00 AM and your body hates you.

So now I'm attacking the habit of smoking. There are multiple "must have" cigarettes in my day, and I'm completely skipping them now. The worst two are right when I wake up and right before I go to work. I'm going to the gym immediately and pushing my first smoke back to an hour and a half after waking. I want to make it a minimum of two hours starting tomorrow. I'm smoking before I leave to go to work and not smoking before I walk in. Usually I'll smoke 1 to 3 cigarettes before I clock in, so this is a pretty big trigger for me. I can take a smoke break an hour into work, although yesterday I just kept myself busy and skipped smoking at work all together. My third biggest trigger is immediately after clocking out, which I've already pushed back to after I get home, shower, and eat. This one was very easy.

Reducing the hours of the day I smoke will facilitate tapering, but I'll be working on that soon as well.

If I tell myself I'm no longer smoking the hours I have to kill at home can be pretty brutal but the real "choke point" is getting my day started and getting into work.

I'm very optimistic for a couple reasons. One is that no matter how much nicotine I've been sucking in, those two points of my day mandate me to smoke. Even if I'm light headed and sucking air, I still wanted to smoke before work. All the patches and gum I can take won't stop this. Also I quit smoking in my car a year and a half ago. Before I smoked in my car all the time, but the windows don't work so it reeked horribly and I developed a greenish-brown film on my windows that impaired vision substantially. After spending half a roll of paper towels wiping it all off I decided to never smoke in my car again. Everywhere I go takes me less than 20 minutes anyway and I can smoke when I get there. Now, not only do I not smoke in my car, but I get absolutely no urge to. It feels like its illegal to do it, like smoking in a hospital or restaurant. Even if I'm fiending hard I wait until I'm home and its completely a subconscious effort. When I give smokers rides they get irritated and perplexed when I tell them they can't smoke in my car and "we'll be there in 10 minutes" is absolutely no consolation. I even had one guy laugh at me and smoke anyway.

I'm hoping my habit breaking doesn't take a year and a half. I've failed a hundred times to quit cold turkey so I have to do something because being addicted to nicotine is pretty miserable.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Pizzatime posted:

Pastorrich, what you're saying sounds exactly like me. I quit numerous times, am a jerk to my girlfriend when I quit, tried everything I could find, am also 23.
Having said that, I don't really know what to tell you, since I also don't really know what to tell myself. I have those pills that are pretty much nicotine with peppermint flavour. They taste like crap but make you behave like a normal person, I sometimes take 1-3 a day when quitting and it works really well. The real problem is the mentality though. What always makes me go back to smoking is thinking of the next weekend I will have with my friends. All we do most of the time is smoke weed, drink beer, play videogames and, of course, smoke cigarettes. I only managed to have such a weekend-day and not smoke a single time, and it was awesome. Then we went to a party and I smoked. It works against any logic. You just have to cut it out. gently caress all the little helpers, gently caress all the worries, and gently caress smoking. It's the best advice I can give you.

Both you and pastorrich, do your girlfriends smoke? If not, enlist their help. Warn them upfront that you want to quit, but when you start withdrawing you get mean and nasty (not just "ill" or whatever. Prepare them). Ask them if they truly want you to quit, if so, they can give you support. Maybe no sex or do something special, but if you smoke, you lose it. Having other people to talk to that can help you is a huge motivator for some.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
Most honorable bump or despicable necro? I don't care, I love this thread.

Trip Report: I'm about 10 days in and its going well. Not smoking right before work has been cake. Its amazing, three years of smoking one, two, or three cigarettes before clocking in led me to believe it was something that had to be done. Like I'd get sent home for not starting my shift smelling like an ashtray or something. Also its our dead season and the shifts are only 3-4 hours long so I'm not smoking at work at all nor before I get home. I'm leaving the cigarettes at my apartment and its been pretty rad.

I've been going to bed and waking up a lot earlier. This has distinguished two types of withdrawals for me. At night I typically get the depressed, "Life ain't worth living without smokes" state of mind and during the day I typically get all jittery and crazy. I'm not depressed at all, I just can't control my thoughts, I shake, and my body tingles and cramps in all sorts of weird ways. The latter is a lot easier to push through than the former. At least I can focus on something else and time passes fairly normally.

Once I hit the two week mark I'm probably going to start counting cigarettes. All of my daily triggers except for one are pretty much wiped out, and I can't tell if all my morning fiending is due to the habit of smoking right when I wake up or because I haven't had nicotine in 8-11 hours. The two days I caved were over 90 minutes into the day, so it still beats the hell out of a 3 year 20 minutes upon waking or less smoking habit.

rand
Apr 26, 2003
Has anyone had problems with coughing since quitting? I haven't smoked for 2 months and still have a bit of a cough. Same with my nose, it's been clogged up whenever I lie down. And the last time I snorted heroin was 2 months ago.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

rand posted:

Has anyone had problems with coughing since quitting? I haven't smoked for 2 months and still have a bit of a cough. Same with my nose, it's been clogged up whenever I lie down. And the last time I snorted heroin was 2 months ago.

Tis the season for random coughing fits. A wonderful benefit of smoking is that you can't really tell if you're legitimately sick or if its just a side-effect.

Personally I always clear out real fast when I stop smoking. Within 48 hours I've coughed up whatever I'm going to cough up and my nosed has leaked everything out.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

rand posted:

It took me like three months before my lung was really improving in that regard. I am young, but smoking hosed my lung in ridiculous ways. I think it gets better but it definitly takes quite a while. I will probably always have some leftover effects during hard cardio and such.

To the reader - if you still smoke: Don't. You don't notice it until you quit but that poo poo burns your lungs from the inside.
You may think you still have time left before you need to quit. You don't.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Boner Slam posted:

It took me like three months before my lung was really improving in that regard. I am young, but smoking hosed my lung in ridiculous ways. I think it gets better but it definitly takes quite a while. I will probably always have some leftover effects during hard cardio and such.

To the reader - if you still smoke: Don't. You don't notice it until you quit but that poo poo burns your lungs from the inside.
You may think you still have time left before you need to quit. You don't.
While you'll probably never have 100% of the cardio ability you had before you smoked, in time I'm sure it will be close enough that you won't notice.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

I've been off the cancer sticks for about two years now (used to have 2-30+ a day) and every time I consider starting again I remember all the sudden headaches I'm saving myself. Not many people mention them unless prompted, which is strange. I think it's because they're constantly trying to ignore and endure them. But they're annoying and unpredictable and that thought alone is enough for me to refuse starting again.

I was smoking outside when I quit and was used to the 12 min. ritual of standing outside and listening to music or just getting my head clear. Since sitting out in the cold or heat loving sucks, when I'd feel the need for a smoke break I'd just get a glass of water and stand around in my kitchen thinking for a while. I still do it sometimes as it's a great way to focus on complex issues. The water really isn't necessary but I find it steers others away from thinking 'He's just standing there staring at nothing oh god he's slowly turning into a crazed killer isn't he'.

I was one of those people who would quit for a week or year and then start again. What really helped me this time was not only deciding to quit, but really considering what it meant to quit forever. Being cigarette free is and will be a permanent part of me even past the point that I no longer exist because I planned it like that and that's how it's going to be :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

El Murguista posted:

I've been off the cancer sticks for about two years now (used to have 2-30+ a day) and every time I consider starting again I remember all the sudden headaches I'm saving myself. Not many people mention them unless prompted, which is strange. I think it's because they're constantly trying to ignore and endure them. But they're annoying and unpredictable and that thought alone is enough for me to refuse starting again.

Smoking never gave me sudden headaches. This might be something only a few people encounter which is why nobody mentions it.

• Locked thread