Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

My roommate indiscriminately signed up for a Newshosting.com Unlimited account and paid for a whole year up front.

http://www.newshosting.com/en/usenet-access-plans.php

It's his money, not mine, so I'm not very concerned, but I was kind of underwhelmed by the selection I've been finding on various NZB search sites. Should I convince him to sign up with someone else/better or is Newshosting cool, I should probably just be looking for :filez: elsewhere?

What are you using for an indexer? Try signing up for a free NZBMatrix or nzb.su account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just came across FlexGet which can be used as a very, very lightweight replacement for Sickbeard. It doesn't manage upgrading qualities or anything...just keeps track of what you've downloaded so far if you use the series plugin. Works with indexers that have RSS feeds.

It's a pretty nice little thingy if you don't want or need all of the features of SB.

I love SB, so I'm continuing to use it, but I'm using FG to do some stuff from private trackers for stuff that consistently gets DMCA'ed from Usenet.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Roving Reporter posted:

What are you using for an indexer? Try signing up for a free NZBMatrix or nzb.su account.

I have a nzb.su account already, from when I was hopping from trial account to trial account, but friend bought a lot of time on Newzbin2.

Glad to hear Newshosting is chill though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm an idiot and only just realized that you can use wildcards in the Category setup. So if your provider has TV-HD, TV-SD, TV-Box, etc, you can just use "TV*" to put all of those into the "TV Shows" category. Same thing with movies (Movies-3D, Movies-xvid, Movies-x264 should all use "Movies*").

I had previously just setup a category for each sub-category the indexer provides. :downs:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

SAB has decided (for a few months, I think) that it's not going to put downloads into folders anymore. I only really use a little bit of sorting (TV/Movies/Music), but within the sorting folders, everything is bare files instead of their own folders.

The sorting page in config is weird and doesn't seem to work how I'd expect it. What am I missing?

e: Renames don't happen, either.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Is supernews down? Can't seem to connect, but there's nothing on their website.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Getting a failed login... hopefully just temporary.

Oops, old error. Working fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So those who use non-binary builds of Sickbeard, have they added 1080p WEB-DL to the dropdowns yet? I'm not entirely sold, on my 27" iMac screen I'm not seeing a huge difference between the 720p and 1080p versions from a brief check, and the fact they won't stream to my Apple TV due to crappy wireless networking here means I might hold off, but it is tempting to add that to the list of preferred formats.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The bitrate from a WEBDL is probably so low you won't really notice much of a difference.

For your wireless if you can't run an ethernet cable you can try the Powerline adapter things. It's basically an ethernet over your powerline. One plug goes next to your router with an ethernet cable from the router -> plug and then you'd have more powerplugs with ethernet cables to all of your devices wherever you want. I've read they always work so long as the plugs are on the same mains ring - I've no idea what this means or how you check it, though.

http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294?Tpk=powerline

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?sortby=&groupid=&search=powerline

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 11, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, the file sizes seem to be around 1GB compared to a 700MB file before. I recall talk of them using a different encoding profile for better compression though, I'll try the same comparison on my plasma to see if it's worthwhile jumping to.

Have considered the powerline plugs, might have to nose around and see if anyone here has them to trial with. I'm presuming our electricity supply is pretty clean here despite the age of the house, as it kinda caught fire a few years ago and I think all of that was redone. The main culprit is our ISP provided router (Virgin Media with a rebadged and lacking in features Netgear) is dreadful so I have an old Linksys wired into it to provide wifi for upstairs, but unfortunately saps the signal down to G band. I'll probably just tape up some cat5 and have it go under my door at some point and not have to deal with the wireless at all then.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Both Virgin and BT routers are pretty terrible. With BT Infinity and their lovely Home Hubs our connection used to drop a lot, we got an ASUS RT-N56U, it's good and doesn't ever go down.

Try swapping to BT Infinity if you can. It's much less restrictive than anything Virgin has and since there is so few people on it still, at least down my road anyway, it's still really fast and great pings.

We had to run a thick data cable from the phone socket downstairs to have the modem and router in my room when we got the BT Infinity though, don't remember why they insisted on it being like that. We ran it under the floor and through a wiring hole in the stairs and then under the floor in the upstairs hall into my room, it was a loving nightmare and we had to get the carpet up and everything. I'd probably just use the Powerline plugs if I had to do it again and keep the router/modem down stairs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think BTI tops out at 40mbit or so? We're on the Virgin 100mbit service and to be honest it's generally pretty good (we're in an oversubscribed area due to students, but we get at least 50mbit at worst and the full 100 on a good day). I never really cared for DSL that much whenever I've had it, been with Virgin about 10 years now and I'm pretty satisfied. We'll probably swap the router out at some point and run it in modem mode.

I bought an ASUS router for my parents a few years back, seems OK the few times I've had to mess about with it. The only bad thing was Argos' fault - it came preinstalled with someone elses DSL details on it, despite being sold as new. Gits.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
They upgraded everyone for free a little while ago, I'm on 69/16. It goes up to 76/19 for most or 160/20 if you're in one of the areas where they've put fibre everywhere.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2012

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So how does SABnzbds quota system work? It has never really been accurate for me.

For instance, this month I've pulled 47GB according to SAB, but it says I've only used 25GB of my quota. I think I have it set to reset on the 20th, which is when my ISP resets the count, but it has never matched up. I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong.

I have it set as 19 23:59 to get the time in there, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I've read they always work so long as the plugs are on the same mains ring - I've no idea what this means or how you check it, though.

I can explain it based on my workings with the X10 system (similar concept) in the US. Your house is fed 3 wires from a power transformer in the following configuration:

code:
-----------------------
|         |           |
|         |           |
Hot -120- Neutral -120- Hot
Between the neutral (center tap) and either of the ends (hot) you have your typical outlet of 120v. Some high power appliances like dryers or oven use the 2 hots (no neutral) to get a combined 240V. The problem is, on any given outlet, you may be on the left 120v circuit or the right one. Effectively, the two circuits are isolated from each other and the signals put out by the Powerline device. Problem is, it can be random as to how the house is wired. One would expect whole rooms to be on the same branch, but it doesn't necessarily follow.

X10 sells adapters that can bridge the 2 circuits at a 240v appliance (dryer) and cross the signal over. I don't know if PL adapters have these bridges available, however.

edit: one way to check might be to see what breakers are on which side of the panel. If your electrician wasn't high on meth, the breakers are usually split on the two sides for the two circuits giving you a rough idea of the layout.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 12, 2012

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD-Rip? Is DVD-Rip a direct raw rip of the DVD or a compressed version?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

YouTuber posted:

What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD-Rip? Is DVD-Rip a direct raw rip of the DVD or a compressed version?
DVD-R is a complete copy of a disc and about 4.3GB.

DVD-Rip is a rip and re-encode of the video, generally 700MB or 1.37GB.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
How come there is so much German stuff on nzb.su? Is there a huge Usenet following in Germany?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

How come there is so much German stuff on nzb.su? Is there a huge Usenet following in Germany?

Probably because a lot of USENET content comes from the scene, and there are a lot of scene groups in Europe

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I disabled the pop-up box that shows up in the lower right-hand corner when things are done downloading. Now I can't see the integrated download with sabnzbd button with the index sites. How do I fix this?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
As far as I know, you can't. Both of those features are part of the same plugin, nzbdStatus.

...! fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 14, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Why is it that there never seems to be any sites for a lot of the "release groups" or whatever they're called? It seems like such a group of people would at least have a web presence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How would that benefit them, other than provide a direct link to people who are committing crimes?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
^^^drat you

Given what they do, what possible upside would a scene group get from a "web presence?"

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I don't know, what benefit do they get from spending so much time uploading content on Usenet?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

hayden. posted:

I don't know, what benefit do they get from spending so much time uploading content on Usenet?

If I remember correctly the uploads take a couple of minutes for even very large files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Scene groups do not upload anything to usenet, those are just people who have access to files whether it be from source or elsewhere.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

hayden. posted:

Download bandwidth on the topsites they upload to, but that's an ancillary benefit - it's mainly just to earn respect with their peers.

The groups all do have a web presence, it's just a private web presence.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

hayden. posted:

They spend exactly zero time uploading anything to Usenet.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

...! posted:

As far as I know, you can't. Both of those features are part of the same plugin, nzbdStatus.

how do I re-enable this feature?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I had a weird issue with SAB... I feel like the file was completely downloaded but it is giving the little skull icon in the completed area. If I do retry it shows it is downloading at 5kb/s and does all 1gig or whatever but when it completes it just shows the skull again. Incompleted folders seem to be pretty much empty.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I had a weird issue with SAB... I feel like the file was completely downloaded but it is giving the little skull icon in the completed area. If I do retry it shows it is downloading at 5kb/s and does all 1gig or whatever but when it completes it just shows the skull again. Incompleted folders seem to be pretty much empty.

The data has been removed from the server, either because it's outside the retention window, or more likely from a DMCA takedown request. You can try with a different provider or just hope somebody reuploads it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The data has been removed from the server, either because it's outside the retention window, or more likely from a DMCA takedown request. You can try with a different provider or just hope somebody reuploads it.

Thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I went forever without really getting much in the way of DMCA'ed downloads, now it seems like I get them all the time.

I currently use Supernews and Blocknews...I'm thinking maybe a cheap EU-only usenet provider would be less likely to have been DMCA'ed.

Any thoughts about that? Any cheap EU-only providers anyone can recommend?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I went forever without really getting much in the way of DMCA'ed downloads, now it seems like I get them all the time.

I currently use Supernews and Blocknews...I'm thinking maybe a cheap EU-only usenet provider would be less likely to have been DMCA'ed.

Any thoughts about that? Any cheap EU-only providers anyone can recommend?

Even the EU only ones will have some DMCAs. I haven't really compared to see when it'll hit. But it's definitely not as much of a problem.

If you want to use an unlimited type account newsgrabber.nl seems to be the best price. TweakNews/Cheapnews is also ok for that type of account, just a little more expensive. Speeds might be a little better. Newsgrabber.nl can be slow at times.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

Even the EU only ones will have some DMCAs. I haven't really compared to see when it'll hit. But it's definitely not as much of a problem.

If you want to use an unlimited type account newsgrabber.nl seems to be the best price. TweakNews/Cheapnews is also ok for that type of account, just a little more expensive. Speeds might be a little better. Newsgrabber.nl can be slow at times.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I meant to use it as a backup server only. Hopefully a combination of Supernews, Blocknews, and a EU server will help with completed downloads.

I guess what I really need is a EU block provider.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Tweaknews/Cheapnews (same feed) should fit the bill.

http://new.xsnews.com/index.php/en/home// is good, but it's a little pricey.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

Tweaknews/Cheapnews (same feed) should fit the bill.

http://new.xsnews.com/index.php/en/home// is good, but it's a little pricey.

Giving a 50GB Tweaknews account a shot. We'll see how that helps.

Thanks for the help!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm getting sick of PROPERS coming across for some videos. All the import stuff supports adding but not deleting obsolete things so you end up with doubles and one is somehow wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Giving a 50GB Tweaknews account a shot. We'll see how that helps.

Thanks for the help!

Guess I'm a little late but: http://www.newsgroupservers.net/newsgroup_server_resellers

Might help you in picking one that isn't another Highwinds reseller, they do have a European presence even though it's not advertised and I've seen at least one EU reseller that claims independence but was actually connected to Highwinds and had the same DMCA takedowns.