Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

jpmeyer posted:

Based on everything I've read and watched, soloing platinum basically consists of 90 minutes of running away.

Yeah pretty much. With only 8 enemies spawned at any given time running the gently caress away is probably the most powerful ability that no-one ever seems to use. It's amazing what you can survive if you just haul rear end until everything is behind you then shooting from cover. Enemies have a very hard time shooting you while sprinting and things like Ravagers can't turn fast enough to line up a barrage.

90% of wipes could be avoided if everyone just ran the gently caress away as soon as they got flanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I think that ignoring Hunter Mode is the way to go for the Trooper. The possibility of stacking all those bonuses to flamer damage is appealing, but actually using flamer entails exposing yourself to fire. It pops you out of cover, AFAIK it doesn't pass through walls so you have to be at least partially exposed, and while you're burning people you move very slowly. Also, the advantage of damage-spec hunter mode in a 6/6/6/4/4 build isn't actually that huge, because you're forgoing rank 5 of the passive, which is an equal bonus to rank five of hunter mode. Basically, you give up 50% of your shields for +17.5% damage to your guns and flamer, plus the ability to see enemies through walls. The power recharge bonus at rank 4, if you take it, isn't significant because you can cancel flamer early to manage the cooldown. After experimenting I'm pretty sure it's most efficient to do that: run it for about a second to light guys up, then shoot them, and light them again if you need to.

Hunter mode is always nice, but it's just a question of whether it is worth the shield penalty, when your other powers are geared towards close range. Hunter mode is great on the infiltrator and engineer, because they have powers that help maintain their ideal range. The infiltrator can cloak and reposition when they're pressed, and prox mine staggers everybody for quick escapes; the engineer has the turret to distract enemies and guard angles of approach, while overload stuns and crowd-controls at any range. Being able to see enemies coming through walls is a big help to them. Meanwhile, flamer and fortification mean the Trooper is built for brawling, and I would say the situational awareness is less important than the shields.

For weapons, I've been using the GPS and the Acolyte, which seems like a great all-round choice.

Lagomorphic posted:

90% of wipes could be avoided if everyone just ran the gently caress away as soon as they got flanked.

It's weird how much easier this is to do when soloing, because having more than one player around means the enemies have a tendency to spawn in different areas and get strung out all through the level chasing different characters. It's also difficult to coordinate with pubbies exactly when it's time to bug out, particularly on PC since so few people use their mics. If everybody stuck close together, and everybody knew when to abandon a position and kite to the other end of the level, the game would be trivial. It's why the rolling death squad technique worked so well on Glacier.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I play way too aggressively to solo well. I will probably never get the Lone Wolf title, I can barely make it through wave 3 of Gold without getting impatient and rushing too many baddies, let alone a Plat game.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah usually if your in danger of wiping it's because you're got most of the eight pressing down on your position from more then one side, so the rest of the map is almost always clear.

The real difficulty with running when not soloing is the tendency of teammates to always try to hold their ground. My success rate with pubbies has gone up considerably since I started being a bit more ruthless about abandoning them. Avoid fighting hopeless fights and just bail. Maybe they'll see you bolting and get the idea. If they don't you can still run to safety and pull some heat off of them or just solo the rest of the wave rather then piling your corpse on top of theirs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Actually that is why I'm not very successful with the tall/slow characters on gold because even if I take all the health bonuses I still go down when I try to turn tail or dive under cover, whereas I generally can survive better even with a 0 fitness character on gold.

It's actually more difficult for me in the earlier rounds than the later rounds since the more difficult characters are usually easier to take cover from. Cannibals and Assault troopers really gently caress with me.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I find most of the slower characters are pretty good ven on gold if you take advantage of any DR options and take fitness to at least 4. Without a roll you also have to rely on sprinting to get to safety. I tend to just run like hell anytime a grenade lands or a Ravager lines up a shot.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

doomfunk posted:

Who the gently caress would ask for someone with Flamer to not use it?

It does blind you if you're trying to target stuff at close quarters that's getting flamered. The only time I ever cared was in one of those central buildings on Ghost.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.
I just ran into someone with the Mass Effect achievement. Since we haven't had nearly enough weekend challenges yet, it's a pretty obvious banme in exchange for a relatively small e-penis boost (since anyone who sees it knows that you're cheating). Edit: I misunderstood the requirements; this may be legit.

Anyhow, the title itself is "Best of the Best" and the banner is:

Yes, the graininess is part of the original image; I didn't take a crappy screenshot or anything.

Source

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 8, 2012

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GulMadred posted:

I just ran into someone with the Mass Effect achievement. Since we haven't had nearly enough weekend challenges yet, it's a pretty obvious banme in exchange for a relatively small e-penis boost (since anyone who sees it knows that you're cheating).

Anyhow, the title itself is "Best of the Best" and the banner is:

Yes, the graininess is part of the original image; I didn't take a crappy screenshot or anything.

Source

But he has 3 weekend challenges completed :confused:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That guy has been mentioned many times in this thread. I wonder how he's avoided getting banned for this long.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
You can get Squad Elite with only three weekend challenges if you do everything else, including 25 platinum extractions and 100 medics, so it's possible it's real.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
He has 42 reset powers. :psyduck:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

He is a true hero :patriot:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The Slithery D posted:

You can get Squad Elite with only three weekend challenges if you do everything else, including 25 platinum extractions and 100 medics, so it's possible it's real.

Considering he's done the solo challenge like 6 times yeah I think he's legit. He has no life but is legit.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

randombattle posted:

Considering he's done the solo challenge like 6 times yeah I think he's legit. He has no life but is legit.

but he's only solod plat twice :smug:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Schubalts posted:

That guy has been mentioned many times in this thread. I wonder how he's avoided getting banned for this long.

You need 1,000 waves to get Bloodpack Mastery
You need 1,400 waves to get Commando Mastery
You need 800 waves to get Machine Mastery
You need 800 waves to get Outsider Mastery

Total - 4,000 waves

I'll assume that in those 4,000 waves you complete every other challenge, which seems reasonable.

If it takes you 20 minutes to do a bronze game (which I'm going to include everything like loadout, joining a game, etc.), then that should take you something like 130 hours to get that. Sounds legit. That said, there's only something like 6 people that have the title. The dude with the #3 challenge rating (who does not have the Mass Effect title) appears to have gotten the bulk of his points by doing Lone Wolf 28 times, for example (and by doing it the fast way of 1 plat, 1 gold, 3 silver).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah usually if your in danger of wiping it's because you're got most of the eight pressing down on your position from more then one side, so the rest of the map is almost always clear.

The real difficulty with running when not soloing is the tendency of teammates to always try to hold their ground. My success rate with pubbies has gone up considerably since I started being a bit more ruthless about abandoning them. Avoid fighting hopeless fights and just bail. Maybe they'll see you bolting and get the idea. If they don't you can still run to safety and pull some heat off of them or just solo the rest of the wave rather then piling your corpse on top of theirs.

That's honestly one of my favorite things to do in this game. Even before the group starts getting surrounded, if it becomes a trench battle (you're wholly on one side of a battleground, the enemy is wholly on the other), I'll just break from the group and start flanking the enemy. See how they loving like it for once. :shepface:

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
So, I just played on silver with a level 8 Valkryie who hasn't put any points in AF yet. Good choice. :confused:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tremors posted:

He has 42 reset powers. :psyduck:

His consumables are at 255. Not just the ammo, missiles, gels, and ops packs either, almost EVERY consumable is maxed at 255 or at least above 200. I'm willing to bet he spent a bunch of money to spam Jumbo Equipment Packs to max those out so the RNG would give him the other items.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Guys I've been playing with him for an hour or two and I'm beginning to think the Turian Havoc... isn't that good.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Vietnamwees posted:

His consumables are at 255. Not just the ammo, missiles, gels, and ops packs either, almost EVERY consumable is maxed at 255 or at least above 200. I'm willing to bet he spent a bunch of money to spam Jumbo Equipment Packs to max those out so the RNG would give him the other items.

Aren't reset power cards limited to three though?

E: I mean, no idea what would even happen if you've maxed out all other consumables. At that point, would all the cards you get in a PSP just be common character cards that don't do anything? No idea.

E2: \/\/\/ Ahhh, right!

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Burning Mustache posted:

E: I mean, no idea what would even happen if you've maxed out all other consumables. At that point, would all the cards you get in a PSP just be common class cards that don't do anything? No idea.

Originally they weren't. The cap was added in a balance patch in early April (back when they were rares). If he was blowing wads of cash during the first month of the game's existence he could have easily racked up that many.

E: If you look at my manifest, you'll notice I've been sitting on 4 reset cards (when the cap is 3) for the past 7 months because I simply never used any ever.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 9, 2012

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Burning Mustache posted:

E: I mean, no idea what would even happen if you've maxed out all other consumables. At that point, would all the cards you get in a PSP just be common character cards that don't do anything? No idea.

I think so, but he probably used it to his advantage to level up quickly after promoting his characters for the N7 Challenge.

Power Reset cards are limited to 3 now. When the game first came out I believe you could get an infinite amount of them(or up to 255) but back then they were seen as kind of dumb since you could just promote and get the same effect(although you had to level up again) and after some bawwww on BSN it was changed to max at 3. That was like a few days after launch though, so if he got THAT many reset power cards in that time, then holy poo poo.

The Ammo, Rockets, gel, etc weren't originally capped at 5/6 at launch either, but that got changed, but not before some people(that played the game a lot or just spent a lot of money) were able to pull off like 6-8 missile capacity.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
1700 hours is a LOOOOOOONG time so it's possible he hasn't spent any real money, I know players with maxed manifests who have played half that time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Batarian Brawler hellz yes.

Was thinking of going on 6/6/1/5/6.

Charge at max cause duh, blade armor cause duh, lash at 1 to have access to it and use it purely for shielded assholes or to stagger armor dudes, fitness and the other thing for the obvious benefits to power, weapons and health/shields.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Typhoon I in my Loyalty pack.

:smug:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Cowcaster posted:

Guys I've been playing with him for an hour or two and I'm beginning to think the Turian Havoc... isn't that good.

Yeah pretty much. He isnt a bad kit but there are much better.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
^^^ He benefits a lot from an ammo power to detonate, but yeah.

Alteisen posted:

Batarian Brawler hellz yes.

Was thinking of going on 6/6/1/5/6.

Charge at max cause duh, blade armor cause duh, lash at 1 to have access to it and use it purely for shielded assholes or to stagger armor dudes, fitness and the other thing for the obvious benefits to power, weapons and health/shields.

If you go 5 on the passive you'll have enough for 3 on Lash. But the "effect shields" evolution on Lash is rank 6, so no. Not sure how much stagger it really does.

Unrelated: I can confirm the earlier comment that stomps appear to be AOE. I was lying next to a teammate and we both got stomped by one guy.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Doing the assault rifle challenges last night I discovered that with Turian Soldier and Human Solder using Marksman/Adrenaline you can fire that geth pulse rifle non-stop as long as you use the magazine mod. While it was pretty funny, the constant PEPWEPWEPWEPWPEPEW got annoying after a bit though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Slithery D posted:

^^^ He benefits a lot from an ammo power to detonate, but yeah.

If you go 5 on the passive you'll have enough for 3 on Lash. But the "effect shields" evolution on Lash is rank 6, so no. Not sure how much stagger it really does.

Unrelated: I can confirm the earlier comment that stomps appear to be AOE. I was lying next to a teammate and we both got stomped by one guy.

I meant more to rip the shields off guardians.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is the Cerberus Harrier like the best gun? It seems way better than everything else I've got. The only problem is it runs out of ammo in two seconds. What's the best way to combat that? Just use a character that can handle two guns?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Use it on a Batarian (extra spare ammo) or Demolisher (ammo pylon) or with the thermal clip gear, or a grenade class (need to run around to boxes for grenades, might as well grab ammo too).

From my experience it sucks on a pure combat class because you're basically tethered to ammo boxes, but it works great on a power class that doesn't require constant power spam.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Harrier is really good for melee classes if you have the omniblade since you can conserve ammo with headbutts and falcon punches.

Felinoid posted:

That's honestly one of my favorite things to do in this game. Even before the group starts getting surrounded, if it becomes a trench battle (you're wholly on one side of a battleground, the enemy is wholly on the other), I'll just break from the group and start flanking the enemy. See how they loving like it for once. :shepface:

Yeah it took me a while to get over the whole "I'm leaving my team to die" mentality but not going down with the rest of them really is the best thing you can do. Plus they might learn a few things watching me finish the wave without them. It's been a real breakthrough in terms of my ability to finish games with bad pubbies.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So is the Cerberus Harrier like the best gun? It seems way better than everything else I've got. The only problem is it runs out of ammo in two seconds. What's the best way to combat that? Just use a character that can handle two guns?

Yes it is the best gun. I just stick near an ammo box in a good spot on the map (when applicable).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Harrier is hands down the best gun yeah. Stick to the ammo crates, play the class that can make ammo crates are your only ammo solutions.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

It pretty much is the best gun, yeah. The limited ammo is the (somewhat) balancing downside. Staying near ammo boxes obviously helps with that, as does carrying a decent sidearm like the Hurricane (especially if you make it weightless with ULMs) but one way or another you will pretty much have to adjust your playstyle around hitting ammo boxes after killing a couple of troopers or a single boss.

E: Oh and you may want to use the extended heat clip mod ... not that it wouldn't be obvious enough.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 9, 2012

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I really want that Demolisher guy :(. I'll try it with the Batarian guy (the net man right).

I've been using it on the Destroyer with the +x grenades mod for the whole "gently caress where's an ammo box!" reason. It was actually kindof awesome with hunter mode's ROF boost, but uh, you'd literally run through all your ammo in a second.

Another question, I love the asari adept's warp/throw self combo, is there another character with a nuts buff combo like that? That I don't need teammates for of course.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've got a new one. Got a terrible lag spike in a game, and when it finally ended, one of the other players was passed out on the ground, couldn't revive him. But he was still out there, invisible, and whenever he fired his gun, the firing animation would play on the gun being held by his corpse. I love when these things happen :allears:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Use it on a Batarian (extra spare ammo) or Demolisher (ammo pylon) or with the thermal clip gear, or a grenade class (need to run around to boxes for grenades, might as well grab ammo too).

From my experience it sucks on a pure combat class because you're basically tethered to ammo boxes, but it works great on a power class that doesn't require constant power spam.

I really like it on my Turian Sentinel. I have to run back for ammo pretty frequently, and things can get a little dicey if someone else on the team is also using a gun that chews through ammo, but Overload and a quick burst will wipe out pretty much any trash mob and the extra damage from Warp is nice for bosses.

Another question, I love the asari adept's warp/throw self combo, is there another character with a nuts buff combo like that? That I don't need teammates for of course.

I'm fond of the Drell Adept for self-combos. He's a glass cannon, but pull-reave is great for unshielded trash mobs and reave-grenade is pretty good for just about everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Human Sentinel gets the same Warp/Throw combo, except you can benefit from Tech Armor at the same time.

• Locked thread