Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth yanked tomorrow.
Good luck! Enjoy your drugs :v: I had all mine removed just about 10 hours ago. I've been drinking whey protein shakes and bowls of roasted butternut squash, tomato, and red pepper soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I had all four wisdom teeth pulled as well as two lower baby molars that I never lost because I didn't have any adult teeth underneath which had fused onto my jaw bone.

Was high off my rear end with hydrocodine for a couple days and ate lots of oatmeal. Still missing those molars as implants are really expensive :(

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Had one out due to cavity, they pulled the matching top one to go with it under local. When I asked the dentist about what to eat/not eat, he looked at me like I was an idiot and just said "Don't chew with that side."

So, basically anything that won't get into the cavity. And avoid straws, as the suction will screw up the healing.

But hey, maybe that's just Japan.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

OmegaBeard posted:

Had one out due to cavity, they pulled the matching top one to go with it under local. When I asked the dentist about what to eat/not eat, he looked at me like I was an idiot and just said "Don't chew with that side."

So, basically anything that won't get into the cavity. And avoid straws, as the suction will screw up the healing.

But hey, maybe that's just Japan.

The game changes when every side has a bloody gaping hole :cry:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I want FGM's review of nobu

Edit: also, wisdom tooth pulling has advanced a lot in the last two decades. When I first got them done the whole thing took an hour and couldn't eat solid food for a day. This year it took fifteen minutes and they just said to avoid seeds for a couple days.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 9, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: also, wisdom tooth pulling has advanced a lot in the last two decades. When I first got them done the whole thing took an hour and couldn't eat solid food for a day. This year it took fifteen minutes and they just said to avoid seeds for a couple days.
Mine were done under mild GA about 11 years ago in NYC. Took about 30 mins, and I was eating that night, albeit chewing with my front teeth. I did bleed like a motherfucker though, as my bleeding disorder hadn't been diagnosed. Pro tip: if an extraction site is bleeding, bite down on a tea bag. It moulds to the site, applies pressure, and I think the tannic acid helps clotting.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Emergency tampon????

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rythe posted:

Got a odd question I am hoping some of you kitchen wizards might be able to help me out with. My gas stove will ignite randomly when I try to turn it on, sometimes it ignites 5 times in a row and other times I can go a hour turning it on and off trying to get it to catch. I can smell the gas coming out just fine and hear the ignitor clicking but the stove will not catch. I was thinking it might be a faulty ignitor/sparker but before I start taking apart my stove and replacing parts I figure I would ask you guys since most of you spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Took my stove apart to get to the igniter and noticed the rod of the igniter was bent away from the ground, all I had to do was bend it back into tolerance and it worked like a champ.

My in-lawns came down and gave me a nice present of some offal, beef tongue, heart, liver and some kidneys which made me super happy but I am not familiar with cooking heart is all. Can anybody give me some hint, tips or yummy recipes on how to make some tasty heart? I am going to try to get my wife to eat this too, she likes tongue and marrow so maybe heart will not be to hard for her to try.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What animal is the heart from?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Last time I did beef heart, I cleaned it (there are videos on youtube that illustrate what you have to clean off pretty well), then marinated it something simple that I don't quite remember. Seared it and served it very rare, sliced thin, with some horseradish sauce. It's very tender and tastes like a very rich steak, though it is very lean. If you cook it too much, it gets tough in the middle, so treat it like a london broil - quickly cook each side in a very hot pan and serve.

I wish I could find heart on the regular, it's so drat tasty.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Will the real Mrs Gunderson please stand up?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515700&pagenumber=1

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
The few times I had beef heart it was already cubed and mostly cleaned. It's very good in a beef stew but you have to braise it for a long time before it gets tender.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I always heard the marinade the heart and sear it in a super hot pan really fast was thew way to go, I will hit up youtube and check out how to clean it properly and have it for dinner sometime soon. I am thinking a marinade of olive oil, garlic, a herb (maybe thyme or rosemary) and for some reason I am thinking a anchovy or two. I like making a anchovy paste to put on my steaks before I cook them and that might go good with a beef heart. Time to experiment a little bit, on the plus side if I mess this up I can always get another one for cheap, beef heart is super easy to get in my area for really cheap.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Anchovy butter would be wicked good on top of some beef heart, if you wanna get real fishy with it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Few things are better than brined and smoked beef heart. One of those things is brined and smoked moose heart.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Wow, my experience was nothing like that and I only had it done a few years....holy poo poo it was 10 years ago and now I feel old.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Few things are better than brined and smoked beef heart. One of those things is brined and smoked moose heart.
Brined and smoked man heart.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Safety Engineer posted:

Wow, my experience was nothing like that and I only had it done a few years....holy poo poo it was 10 years ago and now I feel old.
If it makes you feel better I had my wisdom teeth out during the Reagan administration. The only thing I remember is when I came out from under the anaesthesia the nurse told me that they had to keep asking me to stop singing during the procedure. I still regret not asking what I was trying to sing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

SubG posted:

If it makes you feel better I had my wisdom teeth out during the Reagan administration. The only thing I remember is when I came out from under the anaesthesia the nurse told me that they had to keep asking me to stop singing during the procedure. I still regret not asking what I was trying to sing.

Apparently when my boyfriend got his pulled last summer, he sang the entirety of the Fresh Prince theme (before and after sedation, with a break in the middle).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm FGR, but hopefully I can get up some pictures that one of my dining companions took. We ended up having 13 courses, and it was the best Nobu meal I've had. Highlights were otoro with black truffle, wagyu with foie, and wild caught cod with osetra vaviar. The only course that didn't hit for me was a monkfish liver pate served with uni wrapped in shiso and tempura fried.

Service was on point, and I left in a food coma. I actually skipped the 12th course, which was the sushi course, because I was so full. We went for the more exotic omagaze (they have a few levels), and added a couple of the signature dishes up front. With wine and sake, the meal worked out to about $250/person, and I have to say it was one of the best values for that kind of dining experience I've had.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
It's been a while since we talked gear, so let me open this one up; fat man winter holiday is coming up, and while I'm that douchebag who usually asks that people give to charity rather than give me stuff I can afford and probably don't need, I will probably satiate my loving mother by giving her a list of books and maybe some kitchen tools. Modernist Cooking (at home, jigger please), maybe some kitchenaid attachments. I have heard mixed reviews about the grinder, and while I have a cast-iron one, it gets dragged out once a season or so when my roommate and I feel like making dick jokes. Usually I make the pasta by hand, using a pasta machine, but the [url=]Pasta Extruder[/url] has me all hot and bothered by the prospect of homemade mac&cheese. Any suggestions? Ideally it's something that stores well, because we're running out of kitchen space (so maybe I'll pass on the puddle machine this year).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get the Ad Hoc cook book if you don't have it. The girlfriend is slowly making her way through it and it is simply awesome.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have the pasta roller attachment and I never use it. I find my pasta machine much easier to work with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

It's been a while since we talked gear, so let me open this one up; fat man winter holiday is coming up, and while I'm that douchebag who usually asks that people give to charity rather than give me stuff I can afford and probably don't need, I will probably satiate my loving mother by giving her a list of books and maybe some kitchen tools. Modernist Cooking (at home, jigger please), maybe some kitchenaid attachments. I have heard mixed reviews about the grinder, and while I have a cast-iron one, it gets dragged out once a season or so when my roommate and I feel like making dick jokes. Usually I make the pasta by hand, using a pasta machine, but the [url=]Pasta Extruder[/url] has me all hot and bothered by the prospect of homemade mac&cheese. Any suggestions? Ideally it's something that stores well, because we're running out of kitchen space (so maybe I'll pass on the puddle machine this year).

I'd love to get an extruder. I have a standalone electric pasta roller, but extruded pasta would be awesome.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Wroughtirony posted:

I have the pasta roller attachment and I never use it. I find my pasta machine much easier to work with.

I had the opposite reaction. I got the kitchen aid attachment and my hand cranked machine now sits in a box collecting dust.

I'm a genetically superior human who represents the next phase of evolution. I have no wisdom teeth.

:smug:

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'd love to get an extruder. I have a standalone electric pasta roller, but extruded pasta would be awesome.

For years I have wanted a ravioli maker, I have no idea why the idea just calls to me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
But ravioli is simple: make pasta dough. Portion fillings. Fold over/lay on another sheet, cut. I wanna make some tortolini in this bitch.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Vegetable Melange posted:

But ravioli is simple: make pasta dough. Portion fillings. Fold over/lay on another sheet, cut. I wanna make some tortolini in this bitch.

I know, as I said I have no idea why

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Toast posted:

I know, as I said I have no idea why

I've tried using the roller style ravioli makers that you're supposed to put two sheets on opposite sides of the rollers and pour topping in the middle and it will squeeze out finished raviolis, it doesn't work.

The seal is always terrible. They break open and float apart when cooked.

The only thing I have found that works reasonably well, other than the good old-fashioned way of rolling out a sheet of pasta placing the fillings in the middle, then putting a sheet on top and pressing it down around it and cutting them out are those ravioli making trays.

My dad has a few, and they seem to work just about okay. Getting a good seal is pretty dependent on a nice even thickness on your dough ,but that is easy to adjust with a pasta roller.

I still find the easiest way, and the most useful ravioli accessory, is a combination ravioli cutter/crimper.
After you put your first row of the go down and portion out your filling, you run some eggwash in the seam area, put the next sheet of pasta on top, press everything down, then run the crimper/cutter across the pressed down areas.

Either that, or you cut them out with a pizza cutter and Crip the edges with a fork.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Just took some confit duck legs out of the fridge, expiration date sometime in '13 (meaning they were made in '11)- one of the vacuum bags had a small puncture - It had a heavy nose.

Should I describe it, the smell was like anal...

With a 300 pound 5' tall woman..

After 16hours of intercontinental flight.

On economy.

While she was eating stinky bishop on crackers!

Doing her doggy style over the toilet, and knocking over a diaper bin filled with adult diapers from a lactose intolerant cheese addicted construction worker.

(I had them double bagged in the fridge).

I have now covered my kitchen in chlorine, and can only smell pine freshness!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I didn't know Pr0k's mum was in town.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I didn't know Pr0k's mum was in town.
I was going to make an attempt at a funny comment but I can't top that.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I was going to make an attempt at a funny comment but I can't top that.
You just have to try...

Paula Deen themed joke could be used.

Commenting on my kitchen hygiene could be used... Then refer back to Midwestern American women and the size and content of their pantries, ending up with mrs. Gunderson.

That, or just bring a combination of farm animals, necrosis and British children's television.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HH you filthy man.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

HH you filthy man.
What?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

eat some goat?

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 11, 2012

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Happy Hat posted:

the smell was like anal...

With a 300 pound 5' tall woman..

After 16hours of intercontinental flight.

On economy.

While she was eating stinky bishop on crackers!

Doing her doggy style over the toilet, and knocking over a diaper bin filled with adult diapers from a lactose intolerant cheese addicted construction worker.
Hello new facebook status!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

You just have to try...

Paula Deen themed joke could be used.

Commenting on my kitchen hygiene could be used... Then refer back to Midwestern American women and the size and content of their pantries, ending up with mrs. Gunderson.

That, or just bring a combination of farm animals, necrosis and British children's television.
HH, there is a certain dignity in knowing when one has been beaten.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of ravioli. Me and my bf went to Muir Woods yesterday for a hike, and it wiped us out. We stopped at this small Sicilian restaurant that made amazing mushroom ravioli (and amazing food in general). Goddamn, it was so good, especially after a hike.

And today I'm celebrating my 13 year anniversary of moving to the states with carne asada tacos made from scratch. Been a good weekend for food.

(by the way, this is An observer, can't password recover my old account cause I'm a dumb-dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
God loving dammit. I had my rocking pasta sauce, I go up to poop for eight minutes and someone else in the house decides to start boiling the spaghetti. I get back and the pasta is overcooked and the whole dish is limp and insipid and terrible. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

EDIT: in unsalted water. This will be a lesson to just throw out bad pasta. what the gently caress was I thinking.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 12, 2012