Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Bikertaker seems to want us to take notice of his shirt. Who's this Rocko character?

EDIT: or is it a Yokozuna shirt?

sexy_trash fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's a Yokozuna shirt.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sexy_trash posted:

Bikertaker seems to want us to take notice of his shirt. Who's this Rocko character?

EDIT: or is it a Yokozuna shirt?

It's Yokozuna. Yoko died a few days before this Raw.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I'm watching the Punk documentary and Heyman was talking how when WWE hired Punk they stuck him in OVW because "They didn't know what to do with with him. They just signed a guy who (something) some (something)." What did he say?

Really good stuff. I haven't watched any wrestling documentaries in years. Thanks for recommending it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He said they signed a guy who had buzz.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cat Power worked for these folks?

Oh, that's hilarious. Very, very hilarious.

They used to stock the DVDs at HMV over here (UK). I'm sad to say that teenage Gaz-L was dumb enough to buy a couple. Basically, you had about 4 types of girl they used. 1. Actual indie chicks with talent, your Mickie James, Mercedes Martinez types. 2. Your Mickie Knuckles hardcore wannabes. 3. Model type girls that would be way more at home in WWE and 4. What I'm fairly sure were actual strippers from local clubs. They certainly looked trashy enough.

And the DVDs would use random softcore striptease footage as intermissions.

The only thing I remember vividly, was their top babyface, who was basically one of the hotter type 4 chicks playing at being Sandman, except she was supposed to be stoned, not drunk. And like Sandman, she may not have been acting.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Gaz-L posted:

The only thing I remember vividly, was their top babyface, who was basically one of the hotter type 4 chicks playing at being Sandman, except she was supposed to be stoned, not drunk. And like Sandman, she may not have been acting.

Was that Tai Killer Weed? I think I remember her. She seemed like she was pretty hosed up the match I saw her in.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Watching old Ecw today got me thinking, where is Chris Hamrick these days?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Manwithastick posted:

Watching old Ecw today got me thinking, where is Chris Hamrick these days?

Wikipedia posted:

On July 13, 2010, Chris Hamrick posted the following messages on his Facebook page:

"BIG announcement tonight. Stay tuned. Its to die for !"

Several hours later, Hamrick posted the following: "Hey world I just took 25 sleeping pills. Goodnight!" Several friends are under the impression that Hamrick was involved in a relationship with a married woman who was refusing to leave her husband for him, which led to serious depression.[2] Hamrick returned to the ring the week following the suicide attempt.[3]

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Huh, I guess he was a fake Triple H

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MrBling posted:

From all accounts the Power Plant was all about physical/endurance training and not so much about the in-ring training.
Focusing entirely on athleticism seems weird for a company that was staked mostly on old guys who were neither good workers nor had great gas tanks.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
WCW did not have a mind for longevity.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Well at least he had a sense of humor about it

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Halloween Jack posted:

Focusing entirely on athleticism seems weird for a company that was staked mostly on old guys who were neither good workers nor had great gas tanks.

Well, it made for some very physically impressive guys. Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire etc. I guess they felt that once they were all big and had infinite endurance they could learn the in-ring stuff as they went a long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Was that Tai Killer Weed? I think I remember her. She seemed like she was pretty hosed up the match I saw her in.

That was her! God the name sucks, but for a group that patterned itself so closely on what people perceived the old ECW as, it was a perfect gimmick.

Edit: Also, RE: the Power Plant, I think MrBling is kind of right, but really, I think they saw Goldberg, and like many promotions, figured he was as good and marketable as he was BECAUSE of their development policy, not IN SPITE of it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 7, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty dumb question, but did Paul Bearer always say "ohh yesss"? I only ask because for the life of me I do not remember him ever saying this and everything I know about the guy is from the mid 90's. A few of my friends brought it up and I do not recall him saying it at all, which means he started doing it later once I stopped watching or I'm just retarded (which I'm leaning more towards).

Regardless I will always love the man.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Mayor McCheese posted:

This is a pretty dumb question, but did Paul Bearer always say "ohh yesss"? I only ask because for the life of me I do not remember him ever saying this and everything I know about the guy is from the mid 90's. A few of my friends brought it up and I do not recall him saying it at all, which means he started doing it later once I stopped watching or I'm just retarded (which I'm leaning more towards).

So, you can type Paul Bearer Oh Yes into youtube and get this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGOmavTfJMM

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I think it was something he would yell at ringside during matches for a long time, like when Undertaker was in full control, but not very much during promos.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

God Of Paradise posted:

So, you can type Paul Bearer Oh Yes into youtube and get this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGOmavTfJMM

I am aware that he does say it, my question was if it was something more recent.

Cavauro posted:

I think it was something he would yell at ringside during matches for a long time, like when Undertaker was in full control, but not very much during promos.

Thanks!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ryback has me thinking: What non-American feds have given rocket pushes to wrestlers w/ inversely proportionate talent?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

a radii hike posted:

Ryback has me thinking: What non-American feds have given rocket pushes to wrestlers w/ inversely proportionate talent?

vampiro in mexico tho talent is subjective over there since its more about personalities than in ring

outside of the us, not many places, wrestling is kinda viewed in a different light in other countries and in-ring ability is actually a major part/requirement for getting popular in those regions.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Big Daddy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

pushing yourself isnt being given a monster push

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Are you sure he didn't do it much in promos? I remember it almost being his catchphrase.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a radii hike posted:

Bob Sapp in NJPW, although the dude was super charismatic and a money-maker.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are you sure he didn't do it much in promos? I remember it almost being his catchphrase.

Not sure at all. I was thinking that could have possibly been the case considering how underrated Bearer's acting at ringside was. He wasn't hyperactive but he was extremely emotive and into it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Jerusalem posted:

How weird, I just read through this again yesterday when I stumbled across it while trying to find the Summerslam thread (which ended up being gassed after being moved to FYAD). The videos were taken down long ago, unfortunately, and I don't think I kept copies on my hard-drive.

That's too bad, that was definitely my favourite thing to come from here. Thanks for letting me know!

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

MassRayPer posted:

Bob Sapp in NJPW, although the dude was super charismatic and a money-maker.

I think talent needs to be proportionate to the guy's size. Ryback, Vader, Bam Bam, Lesnar they aren't going to wrestle like a Super Junior, or Canadian technician. All thing's considered, I think Ryback's pretty decent as a big man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

God Of Paradise posted:

I think talent needs to be proportionate to the guy's size. Ryback, Vader, Bam Bam, Lesnar they aren't going to wrestle like a Super Junior, or Canadian technician. All thing's considered, I think Ryback's pretty decent as a big man.

You named three guys who moved extremely well for big men, and one who is so bad WWE couldn't trust him with more than smoke and mirrors in a short main event and on top of that has had some of the botchiest squash matches I have ever seen.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

God Of Paradise posted:

Ryback does not fit in any discussion about those three.

Ryback has more in common with Ludvig Borga, 911 and the Great Khali.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
*edit* quoted the wrong guy about Paul Bearer.

He definitely did a big OH YES during his promo where he was teasing Kane's introduction after Undertaker burned his face with a fire ball. He also did a few Yes Yes Yes back then as well during the Kane build up so it was there in the old WWF days.

EyeRChris fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 9, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

a radii hike posted:

Shall we watch the biggest match in the history of British wrestling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSro4l_0cE

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tyma posted:

Shall we watch the biggest match in the history of British wrestling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSro4l_0cE

Seriously. This was like our Rock/Austin.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's tough for non British fans to "get" Bid Daddy and Giant Haystacks. We have a proud tradition of two fat men running into each other belly first that is part of our cultural heritage.

My fave bit of Haystacks trivia is that he was tag champions with both Dynamite Kid and Bret Hart. A true talent.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's tough for non British fans to "get" Bid Daddy and Giant Haystacks. We have a proud tradition of two fat men running into each other belly first that is part of our cultural heritage.

My fave bit of Haystacks trivia is that he was tag champions with both Dynamite Kid and Bret Hart. A true talent.

Yeah, there was a point where drat near everyone in Britain spent their Saturday afternoons watching fat men barely wrestle. Hell, the Prime Minister of the time in particular apparently loved it.

I wish I was kidding.

Although you'd get midcard matches with people like Rollerball Rocco and Johnny Saint, so that was worth it.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I love the commentator going out of his way to mention they have unlimited time on multiple occasions and it was a four minute match.

Mick McManus is a name that probably should be mentioned even if it's just to point out he was probably the British "Ric Flair" for want of a better example, i.e. he stayed around probably far too long and was still wrestling on tv into his early 60s. He's still alive at a ripe old age of 91!

Kendo Nagasaki gets an honourable mention for being played by so many different wrestlers but rarely straying from the base character. Perhaps his hypnosis gimmick would find him a home in modern Chikira?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was a hypnosis gimmick in Chikara, The Osirian Portal did it, and did in CZW as well, where it went viral and got on ESPN.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Look, it's time for me to own up and come clean: I've been getting back into pro wrestling fandom recently, watching clips and Botchamanias and old NWA matches and Japanese tournaments, but I only started watching Raw and Smackdown again in the past few weeks. So whose idea was it to mash up Goldberg and Mantaur, put him in a singlet that looks like it's sponsored by an energy drink, and have everybody pretend a fallaway slam is a credible finisher?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Look, it's time for me to own up and come clean: I've been getting back into pro wrestling fandom recently, watching clips and Botchamanias and old NWA matches and Japanese tournaments, but I only started watching Raw and Smackdown again in the past few weeks. So whose idea was it to mash up Goldberg and Mantaur, put him in a singlet that looks like it's sponsored by an energy drink, and have everybody pretend a fallaway slam is a credible finisher?

That's too complicated. It's literally just Goldberg in Rhyno's old wrestling gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Halloween Jack posted:

So whose idea was it to mash up Goldberg and Mantaur, put him in a singlet that looks like it's sponsored by an energy drink, and have everybody pretend a fallaway slam is a credible finisher?

Stephanie's. And don't you question her!