Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I was surprised at the canned herring, too. Wasn't canned food invented in the early 1800s? Even 21st century canned food goes bad after 5-10 years, so someone's gotta still be making it. These people have gas powered jetpacks and steel boxcutter swords, so not everything's at the middle ages carts-and-castles level that things appear to be at first glance. drat I love this series so much. :ohdear:

And I still wish they'd use tripwires to kill those big bastards. It's already been established that non-aberrant giants are usually dumb enough to walk into obvious traps, so (unless I'm missing something) building narrow passageways and stringing rope or wire across them and then having nearby attack teams to hack at the necks of the giants that fall over would seem like a better solution than aiming cannons from atop the walls and hoping to take out the small vulnerable portion just below their heads.

Like they said in this very chapter, dealing with single titans is rarely all that difficult. The problem is that titans overwhelm people with numbers. Any such trap would be useless if more than one titan entered it at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Maybe the can is just there to distract from the real issue.
this is great, but it'd be brilliant if it's what the author intended. does the "red herring" fallacy translate to/exist in Japanese?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cooldude2.0 posted:

this is great, but it'd be brilliant if it's what the author intended. does the "red herring" fallacy translate to/exist in Japanese?

That would be awesome and hilarious, but no, it doesn't. Of course the concept does but it's not expressed as anything to do with actual herring.

codeorange posted:

If you reread the scene where Mike gets eaten, you'll see that same bug-eyed titan grabbing at him while regenerating at the same time.

Ah, drat, you're right.

Very Notable
Oct 10, 2012

People who know fear are that much harder to kill.
I read the first two volumes of this series after putting it off for so long, and well, it's very exciting! I think I can put this up there with Berserk and Vinland Saga although it's still pretty new so I'll be sad when I catch up shortly.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Take heart in the fact that it follows a monthly schedule, unlike Berserk.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really like the idea and the general story, but I don't know how you guys keep track of all the different characters, month to month.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I pretty much rely on this thread to remind me who most of the cast is.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I really like the idea and the general story, but I don't know how you guys keep track of all the different characters, month to month.

I did too until my first reread, now I've got everything down pat and a few plausible theories to boot. It's really easy to remember characters in a captivating story.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
So where is the new chapter? I'm getting itchy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Raws are out, actually. It's (as always) a very good chapter. Sit tight and the scanlation should be out soon enough.

Very Notable
Oct 10, 2012

People who know fear are that much harder to kill.
I have to admit I'm really impressed by Isayama. Not only is this his first real work, but he only started in late 2009 (basically three years ago) and he already has so much out already. Has he ever missed a month? From what I've figured he hasn't which really shows how much effort he puts into every chapter just from looking at the art (and story).

Anyway, I'm on volume 7 now and this manga blows my socks right off.

I especially like Jean for some reason and Sasha is pretty funny at least for the flashback stuff in volume 4, ehehe.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
39 is out!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/?ref=email

EDIT: what a blast once again we are lead to believe thatīs everything is gonna be alright and than an even more absurd doom comes out of nowhere

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!

gently caress page 16 man. :stonk:
Some titans are so drat creepy looking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That one joke out of nowhere was just lovely.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha the caption in the last page is entirely true and sums up the manga nicely.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This manga loving rules

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It looks like the beast titan is attacking deliberately to see how the humans react.

It's learning.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

39 is out!

EDIT: what a blast once again we are lead to believe thatīs everything is gonna be alright and than an even more absurd doom comes out of nowhere
I read this spoiler before the chapter and it didn't really matter. It's more of a plot synopsis for the series as a whole than a spoiler :v:

Schwarzwald posted:

It looks like the beast titan is attacking deliberately to see how the humans react.

It's learning.
I'm thinking it's not learning, it was just that smart all along. It's playing with them :tinfoil:

v Good point, forgot that detail.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is learning about 3d gear. It isn't entirely certain of how that fighting style works.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
gently caress. gently caress. Those guys in the tower are completely doomed. :( They're such neat dudes too, I don't want them to die, even though I don't know any of their names. Also, it's incredible how terrifying the small titans are in confined spaces. The manga had mostly concentrated on the large ones up till now, but drat if the little ones haven't had their time in the sun in this chapter.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Advance of the Titans: Your Favourite Character May Die

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

Advance of the Titans: Your Favourite Character Is Going To Die

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think if that was the case and all we were doing was waiting for the money shot it wouldn't be anywhere near as good. Every battle death seems absolutely certain, but we still hope that they can fight just hard enough to stave it off for another chapter. It's the struggle that makes Advance so great. Gantz had the same kinda thing, until it flew totally off the rails.

Also the overarching plot and mystery yeah, but I just want to watch the cool dudes live a little longer and/or do something badass to do so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't likely that all of them will die, but in this manga you can never be sure. I'm not even sure if Eren will survive to the end.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

39 is out!

Imagine the word "Hope" being stomped on by a massive steel boot. Forever.

That's Advance of the Giants. :shepicide:

Gotta say him picking up a Titan was pretty loving awesome.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I guess we'll find out soon enough if Reiner is human-titan or not as some people here as speculated, if he can regenerate that massive wound on his arm that will mean he's definitely is one

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pierson posted:

Advance of the George RR Martin: Your Favourite Character May Die

Mo_Steel posted:

Gotta say him picking up a Titan was pretty loving awesome.

They are weightless, remember?

Of course I have no idea how something with mass has no weight, or how they aren't flung around to timbuckfuckingtu when hit.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The whole "Oh my gosh, I can see her calves, how lewd!" and "Just marry me already," thing got a good laugh out of me. Translating a modern joke to a period setting and context is always fun.

I also like the implications hinted at with Ryner and Berthold's backstory. I can't wait to see more of that. This is a great story to explore the Warrior vs Soldier dichotomy and I'm sure it'll be interesting when they get around to it.

Its funny, I actually came into this chapter very confident that all the characters were safe because 1) The heroes were almost there and 2) the Macguffin characters they've been directed too which will reveal the next piece of the plot are present. And yet my pulse was pounding as the story slapped me for my assumption and put Connie and Ryner in immediate and mortal danger and then started with the rock throwing. I'm too used to Plot Armor being a bubble around a certain character, breakable only when a character purposefully steps outside it to make a heroic sacrifice.

In this manga, we don't even know who has the plot armor. Ymir and Christa are potentially equally knowledgeable and thus equally expendable, and they're certainly not sharing their plot armor with anyone else.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pierson posted:

Advance of the Titans: Your Favourite Character May Die

To be more precise-- emotionally I don't want them to die, but I have been steeling myself this time to see more decent ordinary folks kick the bucket. It's kind of a morbid "stare-at-the-roadkill" thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only ones with plot armor are most likely Erin and his "sister"

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They are weightless, remember?

Of course I have no idea how something with mass has no weight, or how they aren't flung around to timbuckfuckingtu when hit.

They're not entirely weightless, it's just that their composite density is incredibly low, giving a sense of "weightlessness" for their size.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

They're not entirely weightless, it's just that their composite density is incredibly low, giving a sense of "weightlessness" for their size.
And that's just for the big ones- to make them physically possible. For all we know the little ones are just as dense as humans are.

Really wonderful chapter. It's one of the clearest examples of the visceral and immediate feeling emotional roller coaster that makes this manga so good. It makes you feel very worried, then relieved, then pulls the rug out and leaves you panicking again, in a very convincing way. Over and over.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Mikasa is going to kick some rear end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So what was with the little Titan who was going on a Titan killing spree at the beginning? Are Titans just complete murder machines or something?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

So what was with the little Titan who was going on a Titan killing spree at the beginning? Are Titans just complete murder machines or something?
There are apparently factions among the Titans, or so has been hinted at in previous chapters. Said Titan was probably aligned with either Bigfoot or Annie's faction.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Maybe the titans didn't want to kill humans after all and actually just wanted to impress them so they could be bros and so they attacked each other to make the humans think they're good at killing titans too because that's all the humans seem to care about. That and flying.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Gyges posted:

My theory is that the titan that was attacked was one of the recently converted humans (just like the one in the village). Maybe newly converted titans are still attacked due to still smelling human or something, or vice versa it was a human titan that attacked the other as its thought process is relatively new :shrug:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Hm, I'm actually starting to waiver on my Reiner and Bertholdt theories. I wouldn't expect a man who could, at any time, turn into a nearly invincible regenerating titan to have a fearful internal monologue about dying to a 2 meter titan.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
One of two things will happen.

1. The humans at the tower are absolutely hosed.

2. The new pack of Titans approaching will clash with the current titans siegeing the tower.

It'll be drat good either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Thoren posted:

One of two things will happen.

1. The humans at the tower are absolutely hosed.

2. The new pack of Titans approaching will clash with the current titans siegeing the tower.

It'll be drat good either way.

3. Eren has an epic battle with the beast titan and the humans win!

And equally likely,

4. A benevolent diety destroys all the titans and gives Sasha a never-ending baked potato.