Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Elim Garak posted:

I don't know, my friend majored in glassblowing in college and I am 75% sure he told me that glass was a liquid and used the old window thing as the example. The other 25% chance is that I actually brought it up and he corrected me and I'm misremembering it because college.

Of course, a glassblower is known for working with the glass in the state where it is a liquid, so maybe this isn't too surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Benly posted:

Of course, a glassblower is known for working with the glass in the state where it is a liquid, so maybe this isn't too surprising.

True, but he had to know about its composition for cooling and coloring, which is why I'm surprised he got it wrong. I'm starting to think it's more like 50/50 that I'm remembering it wrong.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Farecoal posted:

Not worse but just as bad, yes.

You'll be happy to learn that as you move further into adulthood you stop caring. As a teenager every guy has a huge cock and never touches it (as far as schoolyard chat is concerned.) As you get older you usually describe things as the complete opposite.
Mind you, as an adult you should stop discussing it in the schoolyard.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Benly posted:

To blow your mind: Glass is both a solid and a liquid :science:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If glass flowed even the tiniest bit below its transition temperature (Tg > 500 degrees C for window glass) it would be useless in many applications. Old telescopes would have by now become useless, instead of still being used for astronomy (yes, yes, there's a maximum size you can make a telescope mirror or lens out of glass before *creep* starts becoming a factor, but creep is something that solids do, not liquids, it is mechanically distinct from *flow*). The 200" mirror at Palomar's a big chunk of glass, it was correct to a fraction of a wavelength when it was installed and it still is today. If it flowed, at all, we'd have noticed.

If windows only ~100 years old are thicker at the bottom because they flowed, then how come glass objects created thousands of years ago haven't puddled, or even noticeably deformed? How come there are arrowheads and other sharp objects flaked out of obsidian by prehistoric dudes that are still sharper than a razor? Obsidian's what really good scalpels are made from, because they're sharper than any edge that steel will hold. Glass springs are used for vibration isolation in some applications, it's more *elastic* than steel.

It ain't a liquid. At least not until you heat it to Tg.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Nov 2, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Devyl posted:

To blow your mind: Glass is both a solid and a liquid :science:

To blow your mind: we went over this on the previous page.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I had completely forgot that I'd been on a Paternoster until I read about it in this thread. It was cool.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

So I'm pretty sure we've talked about game watches before, but when I was in third grade I had this bad boy:

The Legend of Zelda game watch. The Zelda wiki says it came with eight dungeons but I'm pretty sure I only got through the first three. I never really liked LCD games, I always felt like the controls were sluggish, and they were tiny on the watch even for my little eight year old fingers. But check out this packaging:

Just imagine you're an eight year old boy in 1989. Holy poo poo was that so badass to unwrap on Christmas.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Did we already do the variomatic?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Might as well continue the glass talk with obsolete window tech:

Crown glass is the kind of glass you'll find on old churches and the kind of glass that spawned the "glass is a liquid" myth. It's made by picking up a blob of glass onto the end of a glass blower's pipe, cutting the end of the bulb off and spinning the remaining glass into a circular plate that is then cut into square or rectangular panes. Obviously the size of the panes you can get using this method is very limited, which is why old buildings had windows consisting of many small panes. The glass is thicker in the middle of the plate and the glass was usually put into the frame thick end down when making windows. Some poor soul mistook this and the uneven shape of the glass as evidence for flow.

Today crown glass only used for the conservation of historical buildings, which is why this dude is spinning a large plate of hot glass:

Significantly newer buildings might have much larger panes that are slightly uneven since they were made using the Fourcault process. This was a major invention in it's time because it allowed for much larger panes than previously. It was made by dipping a rod flat into molten glass and then pulling it out at a rate that allowed the glass to solidify as it rose, pulling a continuous sheet of glass out of the vat. Since it was guided by rollers and cooled by air, the sheets were always a bit uneven.

Nowadays we get amazingly large and even panes of glass by pouring molten glass onto a bed of liquid tin. Also known as the float glass process:

Jasper Tin Neck has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Nov 2, 2012

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elim Garak posted:

The Legend of Zelda game watch.

I remember getting tha twatch for Christmas. I was jealous that one of my friends got the Mario one. I handn't played Zelda yet, so I had no idea how great it was.

I always hope to find some kind of emulator for those, but all I ever find are Game & Watch. :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The glass is thicker in the middle of the plate and the glass was usually put into the frame thick end down when making windows. Some poor soul mistook this and the uneven shape of the glass as evidence for flow.

The funny thing about this factoid is that I learned it from a Bill Bryson book.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Might as well continue the glass talk with obsolete window tech:

Also depressingly obsolete:

Doesn't look like much, but that's a Pyrex beaker. Pyrex was invented by Corning, it's not obsolete, it's what lab glass is made out of, it's what the aforementioned 200" Palomar mirror is made from, it's a tough glass with a low coefficient of thermal expansion. That means heat it up, cool it down, it stays the same size. Since it doesn't change size, it means that it doesn't expand and contract differentially, which means it doesn't loving shatter when you take it off of a Bunsen burner and stick it in an ice bath.

They used to make kitchenware out of it. Said "Pyrex" right on it. It was the same stuff, borosilicate glass, you could cook in it with no problems. Some of it was, anyway, there were also standard mixing bowls and stuff made out of regular soda-lime glass that said "Pyrex" on them, but the stuff you were supposed to heat up? Probably real Pyrex.

But then something happened. Corning sold the kitchenware brand to some European outfit called World Kitchen. Now, all Pyrex kitchenware? Plain old soda-lime glass. Well, not exactly plain, it's tempered glass, which means that when it's still hot and molted the surface of the sheet is cooled down while the inner core stays hot, which basically sets up a lot of compressive stresses in the glass. So if you drop it, it's less likely to shatter. But the downside of tempered glass is that when it breaks, it breaks a lot, all over the place, and goes on breaking for a while.

So now your Pyrex casseroles will, if you take them out of a hot oven and put them down on a surface that, oh, has some water on it you didn't notice, or something else that wicks heat out of the glass really fast, it explodes into a bajillion tiny pieces. Good luck finding real Pyrex cookware anymore.

(This is what tempered soda-lime glass does when it breaks:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV5W76U8Qg

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

euphronius posted:

Those paternosters look like a plaintiffs attorney's wet dream.

The library at the University of Essex has a paternoster lift, and despite the amount of students "doing the loop", no-one has died yet. It's a really useful kind of lift, although it has a pretty low tolerance for scallywagging.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Germany has lots of them, some are even open to the public.

What? I've lived in germany for 30 years and never seen one! Maybe i just don't visit old office building enough.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Phanatic posted:

Pyrex/Corning stuff

Corelle dishes (part of Corning/World Kitchen) are also made of Vitrelle, a three-layered tempered glass that's nearly resistant to chipping and breaking easily. I think World Kitchen also tweaked the original formula of Vitrelle because I've seen a lot of reports online about dishes that explode like bombs with shrapnel everywhere when they are dropped or tapped (like this one, for example), whereas the old Corelle dishes (we're talking 1970s to 1990s) were practically indestructible. I wouldn't buy any new Pyrex or Corelle stuff because it's just a name now.

I myself eat off a set of Corelle dishes and bowls that are about 35 years old, and they are daily microwaved, heated, cooled, refrigerated, manhandled, and washed in hot and cold water, and they are all still in one piece and look like they were just taken out of the box yesterday. You can't beat old plates to get guests to reminisce about how they had the same dishes like this when they were a kid (not my picture, but same dishes:

Other older goons probably had Butterfly Gold or Old Town Blue dishes when they were kids.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

You Are A Elf posted:

Corelle dishes (part of Corning/World Kitchen) are also made of Vitrelle, a three-layered tempered glass that's nearly resistant to chipping and breaking easily. I think World Kitchen also tweaked the original formula of Vitrelle because I've seen a lot of reports online about dishes that explode like bombs with shrapnel everywhere when they are dropped or tapped (like this one, for example), whereas the old Corelle dishes (we're talking 1970s to 1990s) were practically indestructible. I wouldn't buy any new Pyrex or Corelle stuff because it's just a name now.

I myself eat off a set of Corelle dishes and bowls that are about 35 years old, and they are daily microwaved, heated, cooled, refrigerated, manhandled, and washed in hot and cold water, and they are all still in one piece and look like they were just taken out of the box yesterday. You can't beat old plates to get guests to reminisce about how they had the same dishes like this when they were a kid (not my picture, but same dishes:

Other older goons probably had Butterfly Gold or Old Town Blue dishes when they were kids.

HOLY gently caress :aaaaa: My grandmother has had those in green and gold for ages! I didn't know they were a ~thing. Mom's got some casserole dishes in the green too.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I suppose it belongs in the things you just figured out thread, but my grandmother has some old "Fire King" measuring cups that look suspiciously like Pyrex. I would also like to join in the bemoaning of Pyrex not being Pyrex anymore.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
I'd never heard of Paternoster lifts before, but multi-floor factories often use something similar that (at least where I worked) is called a manlift. It's basically a vertical conveyor belt with platforms to stand on, not even like the whole box you ride in on a paternoster. They're basically the same idea though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm eating soup out of an Old Town Blue bowl right now and also had no idea that they were a ~thing.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Haha, we have the green and gold ones and have had since my childhood. Since I'm Jewish we always used the gold ones for meat and the green ones for dairy.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, my family has those Spring Blossom Green plates too. I think we've had ours since the mid-late 80s and picked up a few extras at the church thrift store a few years ago. Those things are durable as gently caress.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

What? I've lived in germany for 30 years and never seen one! Maybe i just don't visit old office building enough.

The best part for me is still how Solon just renamed it's fancy 2009 paternoster and were allowed to build it. Because clearly, when it isn't called a paternoster, it can't be a paternoster! German law in action. :v:

Here is a list of still working paternosters, by the way. Even with pictures if you chose the option in the left menu. (Just look at the numbers of German paternosters still in operation and compare with the others. Germany is paternoster-country!)

http://www.flemming-hamburg.de/patlist.htm
Warning: German

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Donkwich posted:

Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters?

In warehouses, yes.
For people, I think there might be one in the Finnish parliament house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The funny thing about this factoid is that I learned it from a Bill Bryson book.

Bill Bryson should be obsolete and failed (I've only ever read the first ten pages of one of his books and every page had at least one "I can't be arsed to check facts" sort of glaring error).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Also depressingly obsolete:

Doesn't look like much, but that's a Pyrex beaker. Pyrex was invented by Corning, it's not obsolete, it's what lab glass is made out of, it's what the aforementioned 200" Palomar mirror is made from, it's a tough glass with a low coefficient of thermal expansion. That means heat it up, cool it down, it stays the same size. Since it doesn't change size, it means that it doesn't expand and contract differentially, which means it doesn't loving shatter when you take it off of a Bunsen burner and stick it in an ice bath.

They used to make kitchenware out of it. Said "Pyrex" right on it. It was the same stuff, borosilicate glass, you could cook in it with no problems. Some of it was, anyway, there were also standard mixing bowls and stuff made out of regular soda-lime glass that said "Pyrex" on them, but the stuff you were supposed to heat up? Probably real Pyrex.

But then something happened. Corning sold the kitchenware brand to some European outfit called World Kitchen. Now, all Pyrex kitchenware? Plain old soda-lime glass. Well, not exactly plain, it's tempered glass, which means that when it's still hot and molted the surface of the sheet is cooled down while the inner core stays hot, which basically sets up a lot of compressive stresses in the glass. So if you drop it, it's less likely to shatter. But the downside of tempered glass is that when it breaks, it breaks a lot, all over the place, and goes on breaking for a while.

So now your Pyrex casseroles will, if you take them out of a hot oven and put them down on a surface that, oh, has some water on it you didn't notice, or something else that wicks heat out of the glass really fast, it explodes into a bajillion tiny pieces. Good luck finding real Pyrex cookware anymore.

poo poo seriously? Now I feel really bad for taking my mom's old pyrex stuff from 30 years ago when she got new cookware.

It's drat indestructible though so I'm not giving it back :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bill Bryson should be obsolete and failed (I've only ever read the first ten pages of one of his books and every page had at least one "I can't be arsed to check facts" sort of glaring error).

It does read like he skimmed a bunch of wiki articles and simply rewrote them, without an in-depth understanding or fact-checking.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

RoleModel posted:

Holy poo poo, my family has those Spring Blossom Green plates too. I think we've had ours since the mid-late 80s and picked up a few extras at the church thrift store a few years ago. Those things are durable as gently caress.

I think a good half the population had those exact plates. It seems like every time I'm at someone's house they have a stray plate or caserole or something from the set. I don't know what ever happened to the ones we had when I was a kid.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Nowadays we get amazingly large and even panes of glass by pouring molten glass onto a bed of liquid tin. Also known as the float glass process:

Ive been to one of these as a teen on a field trip, its a badass process. Takes something like a week and a half to get up to temp for production. There is a nonstop feed of glass going in and coming out, the cutters slide across the line diagonally to make a straight cut. Its amazing to watch but the tin float room is very very hot.

You Are A Elf posted:

Omg I didnt know those were a "thing", grew up with the butterfly gold with some old town blue mixed in.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
Not completely obsolete yet, but what about wooden escalators?

The only time I've ever been on one was three or four years ago in the Paris Metro - apparently it was in the La Motte-Picquet station and still exists. Google also just told me that there's one at the original Macy's in New York.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

TurboTax posted:

Not completely obsolete yet, but what about wooden escalators?

The only time I've ever been on one was three or four years ago in the Paris Metro - apparently it was in the La Motte-Picquet station and still exists. Google also just told me that there's one at the original Macy's in New York.

Yes! Time for my favourite London Underground facts.

Following the Kings Cross London Underground fire, all the wooden escalators were removed due them being a fire hazzard. The only one to survive is at Greenford Station in West London! It's also the only escalator on the whole network which leads UP from street level, to the platform.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Elim Garak posted:

So I'm pretty sure we've talked about game watches before, but when I was in third grade I had this bad boy:

The Legend of Zelda game watch. The Zelda wiki says it came with eight dungeons but I'm pretty sure I only got through the first three. I never really liked LCD games, I always felt like the controls were sluggish, and they were tiny on the watch even for my little eight year old fingers. But check out this packaging:

Just imagine you're an eight year old boy in 1989. Holy poo poo was that so badass to unwrap on Christmas.

I got this for Christmas '89 as well. Was ecstatic - I've always loved watches, and I loved the hell out of Zelda. One interesting note on the packaging - mine came in a hard, black watch box/cube with the zelda logo on the outside.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RoleModel posted:

My grandparents on my mom's side had the green set, I remember using them as a kid. I don't know if my grandma still has any left over, I think she sold them in a yard sale before moving from NY to NE to live with my parents.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

It's also the only escalator on the whole network which leads UP from street level, to the platform.

???

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:eng101: time!

The name "London Underground" is a misnomer because 55% of the network is actually above ground! Outside Central London, and inside some parts, the network is basically cobbled together former electric railway lines from the early 20th century.

Hell, the network isn't even isolated; the Bakerloo like north of Queen's Park shares space (but not track) with the West Coast Main Line and Watford DC line (one of the few third-rail train lines north of the Thames) and the Met north of Baker Street shares space, and north of Harrow, track, with the Chiltern line to Aylesbury.

Such is the relationship with the Chiltern line that in the thirties the London Underground network actually reached into parts of rural Buckinghamshire. You know Granborough Road, the tube station mentioned in Skyfall? It actually existed until 1936, and was over thirty miles from London.

Oh, and Greenford isn't the only tube station with escalators taking you above ground to the platform. Stratford's Central Line platforms are in the high-level part of the station and you will need to use escalators or stairs in the station to get to them from the High Street.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Phanatic posted:

I live in fear of this happening to my glass desktop and ending up like this guy.

Mine isn't from ikea so it's probably thicker than the one in that pic was, but I have nothing underneath the glass at all so the outcome would involve a 24 inch monitor slamming screen first into a file of glass shards :v:

Edit: Particularly because I keep banging the metal arms of my chair into the edges, 3 years and no disaster yet though!

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Nov 9, 2012

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Donkwich posted:

Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters? As an American I've always wanted to ride one, and I guess the reason they haven't brought them to the states is that they are lawsuit bait. Or they're actually dangerous as gently caress. I don't know.

I've been on one in the Arts Tower at Sheffield University, which is apparently the largest paternoster in the world. It's a fun, if weird, experience.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Owlkill posted:

I've been on one in the Arts Tower at Sheffield University, which is apparently the largest paternoster in the world. It's a fun, if weird, experience.

The Arts Tower paternoster is awesome. Shame they got rid of the one in the Roger Stevens Building-slash-MC-Escher-tribute at Leeds University before I went.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

TinTower posted:

:eng101: time!

The name "London Underground" is a misnomer because 55% of the network is actually above ground! Outside Central London, and inside some parts, the network is basically cobbled together former electric railway lines from the early 20th century.

Hell, the network isn't even isolated; the Bakerloo like north of Queen's Park shares space (but not track) with the West Coast Main Line and Watford DC line (one of the few third-rail train lines north of the Thames) and the Met north of Baker Street shares space, and north of Harrow, track, with the Chiltern line to Aylesbury.

Such is the relationship with the Chiltern line that in the thirties the London Underground network actually reached into parts of rural Buckinghamshire. You know Granborough Road, the tube station mentioned in Skyfall? It actually existed until 1936, and was over thirty miles from London.

Oh, and Greenford isn't the only tube station with escalators taking you above ground to the platform. Stratford's Central Line platforms are in the high-level part of the station and you will need to use escalators or stairs in the station to get to them from the High Street.

Ah, it seems that part of my fact is out of date by two years. The redevelopment of Stratford apparently added a teeny tiny escalator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

Ah, it seems that part of my fact is out of date by two years. The redevelopment of Stratford apparently added a teeny tiny escalator.

To elaborate, it's only the Westbound platform 3A, which adjoins the upper concourse where the DLR platforms are. Although I'm unsure how the pedestrian flow works with that set up (Westbound trains open their doors on both sides).

(E: diamond geezer has a decent write-up from opening day)

TinTower has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Nov 9, 2012