Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Killer robot posted:

$50 is what I've generally seen a 750 of Green go for in NY. It's not better than the comparably priced single malts driving it out of the market, but it's good at its price point and I'll be sad to see it go.

Related, last night I finished the bottle of Blue I got at duty-free prices ages ago. Not buying that one again unless they cut the price in half or something. Though it does make me curious, if I ever get it in my mind to spend $150 on a bottle of whiskey again, any suggestions?

Bruichladdich Octomore
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2666000001608

BenRiach 25 Authenticus
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2600000001696

Bruichladdich Black Arts 3
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2600000001897

Ardbeg Alligator (if you can still find it, good luck. I picked up two bottles of it at the distillery earlier this year, it's pretty amazing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
On a side note, some other pretty amazing finds lately:

Kilchoman Machir Bay
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2600000001740

If you like Ardbegs, this place is relatively new (so they don't have anything out older than 5/6 years), but it's young, peaty and very active. They're the only self sufficient distillery on Islay - they do everything themselves from growing the barley, roasting it, storing it, etc.

BenRiach Solstice 17 Year
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=2600000001695

Heavily peated scotch finished in port casks. It's burgundy in color from the port. I can't recommend this enough.

Connemara Turf Mor
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=1000000001274

Interesting change of pace, a peated Irish whiskey. If you don't go into it expecting it to be even remotely Scotch-like, it's actually extremely good.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Eighty Seven posted:

I bought a gift set of Canadian Club to give it a try. It's incredibly cheap, no doubt, but doesn't have any less complicated a flavor profile than Wisers, Seagrams XO or Crown Royal.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I now have a go-to brand for making Manhattans, New Yorkers and Old Fashioneds, but I'll stick to more flavorful whiskys when I want it neat.

Also, both of the Canadian Club glasses broke cleanly above the base of the glass after pouring a cold drink. Did I get a bad batch or are they all lovely quality?

Yeah, in my experience, CC really isn't all that better or worse than most basic Canadian whiskies. Unfortunately, I know way too many people that believe that Crown Royal is a top-shelf whisky. I usually hold a bottle of 40 Creek in the liquor cabinet at home (I'd say it's better as a mixer and decent base Canadian whisky to drink neat), and when my parents were getting ready for a party, they still insisted on getting a bottle of Crown Royal because that's what some of their friends drink (with coke).

As for the glasses, my brother bought a gift set for himself last Christmas from the LCBO that had a 375mL bottle of CC 12 and two glasses. The glasses are ok, but one has an uneven base, so it could be overall crap quality. I did, however, once luck out and an LCBO near me had Canadian whisky glasses on sale (specifically, this one, but with a different box) for $5, as opposed to the regular >$10. If you ever get lucky and find one (or just pay regular price online), I'd suggest getting one of those instead of a regular tumbler. Not only do they bottle scent better like a Glencairn (though not nearly as well since they're bigger), but they're big enough that you can pour other drinks in them. I don't have any cocktail glasses, so I make my Manhattans in them.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Apparently Van Winkles and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff is out in the wild now, so keep your eyes peeled.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Tigren posted:

Apparently Van Winkles and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff is out in the wild now, so keep your eyes peeled.

The hunt begins.

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
I just bought a 750ml of Crown Royal Maple just because I was curious if it was bad, really bad, or Disgusting. I rate it worse than disgusting. It is like trying to drink maple syrup. It is foul. Avoid at all costs unless you like sipping maple syrup to get drunk.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I actually think it is on par with the comparable single malts. We're perfectly willing to pay US$50 for Compass Box Oak Cross here, and US$70 for Spice Tree. I actually prefer Green Label to both. Even if you don't care about age statements, you have to acknowledge that older whiskies cost more, and 15 year old Cragganmore, Caol Ila, Talisker and Clynelish would cost US$50 or more each on their own.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

kidsafe posted:

I actually think it is on par with the comparable single malts. We're perfectly willing to pay US$50 for Compass Box Oak Cross here, and US$70 for Spice Tree. I actually prefer Green Label to both. Even if you don't care about age statements, you have to acknowledge that older whiskies cost more, and 15 year old Cragganmore, Caol Ila, Talisker and Clynelish would cost US$50 or more each on their own.

There's some truth to this - in that we often get a little obsessed with age. It's not ALWAYS better. For example, Kilchoman is producing some really great stuff that has only a small amount of 5 year old whisky and mostly 4 year old whisky.

Also, after drinking nothing but single malt scotch for a while, I poured myself some Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon. Holy god drat, I nearly forgot how wonderful this stuff is. It's all to easy to forget the skill and effort that goes into some of the top bourbons.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Karl Hungus posted:

I just bought a 750ml of Crown Royal Maple just because I was curious if it was bad, really bad, or Disgusting. I rate it worse than disgusting. It is like trying to drink maple syrup. It is foul. Avoid at all costs unless you like sipping maple syrup to get drunk.

Sounds like something I should get for the Canadians at my office as a joke for the company Christmas party. :D (Except it's probably more expensive than I'd want to spend on something that gross)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

There's some truth to this - in that we often get a little obsessed with age. It's not ALWAYS better. For example, Kilchoman is producing some really great stuff that has only a small amount of 5 year old whisky and mostly 4 year old whisky.

Also, after drinking nothing but single malt scotch for a while, I poured myself some Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon. Holy god drat, I nearly forgot how wonderful this stuff is. It's all to easy to forget the skill and effort that goes into some of the top bourbons.
It doesn't matter if an older whisky is better or not...it's older and rarer unless a distillery has ramped up production specifically for older expressions (a la Lagavulin 16 vs Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength). Kilchoman's whisky is expensive, not because it's amazing, but because their output is so low.

Green Label tastes like a US$50 whisky as much as many other US$50 whiskies. It tastes better than the Winter 2011 release of Kilchoman, which was well over US$50 when I bought it.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 10, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Karl Hungus posted:

I had the same reaction although not as severe when I first tried Tap 357 but it grew on me a little.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

wormil posted:

We'll have to agree to disagree on Dickel, that stuff is very disappointing.

I ended up buying a bottle of the Cascade Hollow and can't say I'm a big fan. So far the best use I've found for it is to refill an empty bottle of The Peat Monster (think of it as the liquor equivalent to putting red dye in white wine).

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Went into Binny's today to get a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Walked out with this instead:

Ardbeg 10 with a mini bottle of Uigeadail (which I haven't yet tried, but have heard great things about). Eagerly awaiting to crack it open and put it against my Laphroaig Cask Strength.

lavaca posted:

I ended up buying a bottle of the Cascade Hollow and can't say I'm a big fan. So far the best use I've found for it is to refill an empty bottle of The Peat Monster (think of it as the liquor equivalent to putting red dye in white wine).

Sorry to hear that didn't work out. Tennessee Whisky is weird stuff (and truth be told, not one of my favorites). I've liked Dickel, but it generally ended up getting mixed with ginger ale or coke when offered. At least it's cheap!

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

kidsafe posted:

It doesn't matter if an older whisky is better or not...it's older and rarer unless a distillery has ramped up production specifically for older expressions (a la Lagavulin 16 vs Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength). Kilchoman's whisky is expensive, not because it's amazing, but because their output is so low.

Green Label tastes like a US$50 whisky as much as many other US$50 whiskies. It tastes better than the Winter 2011 release of Kilchoman, which was well over US$50 when I bought it.

It depends on your taste. I'd put any of the Kilchoman releases well above Green Label, but I also really like peated whiskey. I'm finding as time goes on that I actually prefer the younger more active vintages to the older and more mellow/refined ones. I was very impressed with Kilchoman, all in all.

They may be a little expensive because of the relatively low output of the distillery, but it doesn't take away from the quality of the dram.

As with most other things in life, though, the quality of the thing really doesn't have much to do with the cost. I love Black Bottle and it's one of the cheapest Scotches you'll find. I'd put that up there with many Islay main offerings even with it being a blended mystery drink. It has a place on my shelf next to the Octomore and Alligator / Corryvreckan, which cost 4-5x what the Black Bottle does.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
When and Why has Pappy Van Winkle developed this crazy cult following.
I mean don't get me wrong, the stuff is good, but there are just as many fine bourbons out there.

3 years ago, I could get the stuff on the shelf.

Now i'm on a 300 person waiting list and the stores that DO have it price gouge.

I'll just need to find a new favorite I guess.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Van Winkle is nice but I'm not sure its worth getting looked at like I'm an rear end in a top hat when I ask to be put on the wait list after April. I also felt guilty drinking the stuff since its so hard to come by.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Mega Boris posted:

When and Why has Pappy Van Winkle developed this crazy cult following.
I mean don't get me wrong, the stuff is good, but there are just as many fine bourbons out there.

3 years ago, I could get the stuff on the shelf.

Now i'm on a 300 person waiting list and the stores that DO have it price gouge.

I'll just need to find a new favorite I guess.

There's some kind of mystique behind Pappy that makes it so interesting to people. It's always reviewed amazingly, it's rare and it's expensive (for a bourbon, at least). I bet a lot of people don't know that most of Pappy's stuff is Buffalo Trace and their Stizel-Weller days are almost gone.

That said, I still want a loving bottle too. Or Stagg, maybe.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My recollection is that the 23 y.o. got a lot more press than normal for being named "best whiskey in the world" by somebody a few years back. It's the same thing that happened to Westvleteren.

Xposed
Nov 13, 2012

Ardbeg 10 with a mini bottle of Uigeadail (which I haven't yet tried, but have heard great things about). Eagerly awaiting to crack it open and put it against my Laphroaig Cask Strength.

If you enjoy Laphroaig Cask Strength i whuld highly recommend you to try the Ardbeg corryvreckan or if you have some spare cash the Ardbeg Supernova.
2 amazing whiskeys.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Here's an interesting one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/siascotch/sia-scotch-whisky

This woman is using Kickstarter to try and get her blended scotch whisky off the ground. The fact that a woman is playing blender is interesting in itself.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Very cool idea. A bit too "premium" oriented if you know what I mean but if it's good then I don't mind.

I'd back if there was a tier that just got you a bottle...

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

According to the description Kickstarter doesn't allow alcohol as a reward for backing. It's a shame that a lot of what she came up with are US-centric, since there are much bigger markets for whisky elsewhere in the world.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Woodford's 2012 Master Collection. Read some advance tasting notes and opinions are mostly glowing with a few haters. If I can find a bottle this will be one of my xmas presents to myself.

quote:

Our Four Wood Selection is crafted from a unique batching of mature bourbon, matured in American Oak Wood, that has been finished in barrels made from Maple Wood, Sherry Wood and Port Wood.

The practice of batching together various types of finishing barrels is a less common, more exacting craft – delivering a product of exceptional complexity and smoothness.

The Oloroso Sherry barrels contribute notes of walnut and caramel; the Ruby Port barrels add rich berry fruit while the Maple Wood barrels bring in additional layers of maple syrup and baking spice. The result is a whiskey with an unsurpassed depth of fruit character that is easily savored neat or over ice.

The Four Wood Selection is available November 2012, but supplies are limited, so ask your retailer today.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Voodoofly posted:

I also had a glass of Michter's Single Barrell US-1 with the same friend. It is a little sweet for my taste. I actually prefer the Bulleit, especially with the Bulleit being about $20 cheaper.

I am a bit of a fan of Michter's rye whiskey, but I recently found out they make bourbon, too. I can't provide a professional-style review, but I think anyone who likes bourbon should give it a shot. It's pretty tasty.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
That Woodfords is interesting as it follows a trend some Bourbon distillers have been doing - IE: experimenting with different woods. I've never tried one of these weird batches, although Angel's Envy has piqued my interest from time to time.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
I'm looking for a single malt Scotch that is as smoky as Black Label. I've tried Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig 10, and while both are very nice, I didn't find them as smoky. Any recommendations?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ardbeg 10 is smokier than the Ugeadail, it lacks the sherry finish so it's peatier.

Finlaggan is also a nice smoky malt on the cheap.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CoderCat posted:

I'm looking for a single malt Scotch that is as smoky as Black Label. I've tried Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig 10, and while both are very nice, I didn't find them as smoky. Any recommendations?

If you didn't find Ardbeg or Laphroaig as smokey as JW Black Label, then I'm skeptical that you actually have functioning taste buds. Nevertheleess, you might want to try Laphroaig Quarter Cask. If you aren't limiting yourself to single malts, just go with JW Double Black. It's basically JW Black with a smokier flavor.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
You could try Talisker for a more peppery, "smoky" smoke rather than the phenol hit of Laphroaig (I kind of get notes of cherry wood in Talisker). I had the Peat Monster at a bar once and I thought it was rather good too, with a fairly substational smoke hit.

But yeah, I never really thought Black Label was really smoky at all.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 17, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If you like a lighter/sweeter note to your peat-bomb scotches Lagavulin 16 or 12 are both excellent.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So I'm a bourbon and rye fan, and I usually stick to mid-range bourbons (Knob Creek, Makers, Basil-Hayden) but my folks, knowing my love for it, bought me what appears to be a really nice bottle for graduation - Blanton's Gold Edition Single Barrel Reserve.

I haven't opened it yet for various reasons, but can anyone tell me anything about this whiskey before I crack it open?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
To each their own, I don't find myself completely disagreeing with CoderCat's assessment of smokiness. There's campfire, coal, tar, etc. and then there's smoke. I don't drink Johnnie Walker Black, but it does give off faint wisps of smoke flavor...the kind that rolls off the tongue. It's on the nose as well. In contrast it's sometimes hard to pick up a light smoky note when heavy-hitters like Laphroaig drop a mound of ash on your tastebuds.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I tried the Knappogue Castle 12 year Irish whiskey last night; it was good, but very, very mellow. Like, there was barely a hint of burn. Is that others' reactions too? It was just so very different from the bourbon (Evan Williams) and scotch (Balvenie) that I have had.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Is there a good beer-advocate type review site for whiskey?

Bunk Rogers posted:

Van Winkle is nice but I'm not sure its worth getting looked at like I'm an rear end in a top hat when I ask to be put on the wait list after April. I also felt guilty drinking the stuff since its so hard to come by.

I had a bottle shop claim to stop carrying Van Winkle because he couldn't deal with the constant harping of customers, and the inevitable disappointment when most of them wouldn't get any and bitch him out because they were "regulars".

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 17, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker green label since it was mentioned that it's discontinued and I wanted to give it a shot. I'm impressed, it's a really nice blend IMHO. I like that is has some peaty flavor without being too overpowering. Are there any other blends or single malts that are similar?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Johnnie Walker Green Label is a Blended Malt Scotch whisky (defunct: Vatted Malt.) It contains malts from various distilleries, but no other grain whiskies. That's why its flavor is a bit bolder than the usual Johnnie Walker fare.

The art on the carton features Talisker, Caol Ila, Cragganmore and Linkwood. I'd assume there's more than just those four, but those do seem like the primary components.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
How long with an opened bottle last before it goes south?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

How long with an opened bottle last before it goes south?

Generally a long time - it's not like wine. If the bottle has a very small amount in it (like less than 25%) then it's time to either drink it within a few weeks or decant it into a smaller bottle. More air surface area = more oxidation.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Cool, thanks. It's about half full still, so I got some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
Every year about 12 of my friends and I get together for Thanksgiving. Everyone brings either a dish or alcohol, or both. Typically I'll show up with one or two bottles of wine and a smaller dish, and sometimes a bottle of bourbon. This year I'm interested in doing a small whiskey flight.

I'm thinking three or four different things that give a good variety of whiskeys out there. Probably a bourbon, a rye, a scotch, and maybe an irish whiskey or another scotch, or maybe something a little more out there like an infusion or something just in case someone isn't as into the other three.

Budget-wise I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible - I can't decide if 350ml will work for this amount of people or if I need to go with 700ml bottles.

I live near Astor Wines & Spirits in NYC so prices are usually decent. Also interested in locally-made stuff so definitely on the lookout for King's County and the like.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!