Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I just got RE5 Gold edition over PSN+. Do I really have to go through the campaign to access the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tremors posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the manual. http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

RB+X to auto convert herbs into tablets, what a nice thing TO BE TOLD IN GAME!

Game doesn't have a manual and it doesn't explain poo poo, nice job there Capcom. I actually find the game to be rather decent but this kind of poo poo just irritates me.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Alteisen posted:

RB+X to auto convert herbs into tablets, what a nice thing TO BE TOLD IN GAME!

Game doesn't have a manual and it doesn't explain poo poo, nice job there Capcom. I actually find the game to be rather decent but this kind of poo poo just irritates me.

It's a stupid command anyway since you'll end up consuming a couple of tablets while trying to mash that button combination.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Krad posted:

It's a stupid command anyway since you'll end up consuming a couple of tablets while trying to mash that button combination.

Not to mention if there is ever a time you would need that in the midst of things, you're probably gonna get knocked down regardless.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ImpAtom posted:

I believe you can do it with any weapon but the game is no way accurate enough for that to be anything but a lucky chance for most.

Knowing that makes me think of the RE5 Wesker fights.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Wooph posted:

I just got RE5 Gold edition over PSN+. Do I really have to go through the campaign to access the DLC?

Lost Nigmare gets unlocked after like chapter 3-3, whichever the last one before chapter 4-1 is.
The rest, yeah gotta complete.
Been doing that myself too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished Leon's first chapter and this is turning out to be the trashy epic B Movie I always wanted to see. I definitely think reading this thread first and seeing a lot of the things that should have been explained better in the game has helped make the game more enjoyable for me from the start. I enjoyed the location diversity. Really was what you would expect in a full RE game vs just one chapter of one campaign. Besides the mentioned poor feature description, save vs checkpoint, and the annoying why can't I short the corpse before it gets up...I really don't have many other issues.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I now have my own copy of RE6 so I can play anytime with anyone, I still have Slender, Tremors and Doctor Alan so if you guys want help hit me up, adding my GT again, AchyHippo, feel free to add me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok just got done playing for 8 hours, I have some questions.

Do Leon and Helena not share inventories? Or any character? Helena had a shotgun and rifle but when I joined a pubby game as Leon he only had his pistols, same with bullets and healing items, not the same as Helena at all.

How do I get more maps in mercs? I only have urban chaos, I also bought the DLC ones but they ain't showing up in the mercs menu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Ok just got done playing for 8 hours, I have some questions.

Do Leon and Helena not share inventories? Or any character? Helena had a shotgun and rifle but when I joined a pubby game as Leon he only had his pistols, same with bullets and healing items, not the same as Helena at all.

How do I get more maps in mercs? I only have urban chaos, I also bought the DLC ones but they ain't showing up in the mercs menu.

You unlock weapons for a character either by finding it in the stage or by completing that entire chapter as that character. (From start to finish.) Each character has to unlock the weapons on their own.

Mercenaries maps are unlocked by finishing the story modes. I don't know about the DLC ones, I didn't buy 'em

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

You unlock weapons for a character either by finding it in the stage or by completing that entire chapter as that character. (From start to finish.) Each character has to unlock the weapons on their own.

Mercenaries maps are unlocked by finishing the story modes. I don't know about the DLC ones, I didn't buy 'em

So I have to beat each chapter with each character? That's kinda retarded but ok I guess, at least they share skills.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Helena starts with a shotgun. Every character has a unique initial layout. As you go through the game you'll both get the same weapons. F'r instance, Sherry starts with a pistol that fires three rounds at once and a stun baton, Jake has his martial arts, Leon can dual wield his pistols, etc.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Alteisen posted:

So I have to beat each chapter with each character? That's kinda retarded but ok I guess, at least they share skills.

I sent you a friend request. GT: Anklebiter25

I'll be playing a lot today, so you or anyone else is welcome to message me if they want a partner. I've finished Chris and Leon and am currently on chapter 2 of Jake. I'm looking to finish Jake and then I'll play whatever.

By the way, does anyone have skill suggestions for playing on professional? I'm currently playing on normal using more item drops, def 2, and guns 2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How is the partner AI this time around anyway? Does it use all your sprays at the first sign of trouble, firing off your ammo into a wall?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They are invincible and have unlimited ammo. There's no inventory management with them this time around.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Ankle-biter posted:

By the way, does anyone have skill suggestions for playing on professional? I'm currently playing on normal using more item drops, def 2, and guns 2.

For my professional runs I used Firearm 3, Defense 3, and Infinite Shotgun. It really didn't seem a lot harder than normal, so I'm curious what the "No Hope" difficulty will be like.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GUI posted:

They are invincible and have unlimited ammo. There's no inventory management with them this time around.

:stare:

Well alright then, that's very good. Might just pick this up on sex box after all.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

poptart_fairy posted:

:stare:

Well alright then, that's very good. Might just pick this up on sex box after all.

Don't be too excited. The AI fires very rarely and when they do, they usually blow a body part of a J'uavo and make it stronger :/

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
The AI also won't heal you if you're low on health. If you go down, yeah, they'll revive you, but they can't heal you at all. They also can't give you ammo if you run out since they have infinite.

It isn't terrible, but it can be annoying if you go down, and the AI just stands there watching you try to get back up.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

The Valley Stared posted:

The AI also won't heal you if you're low on health. If you go down, yeah, they'll revive you, but they can't heal you at all. They also can't give you ammo if you run out since they have infinite.

It isn't terrible, but it can be annoying if you go down, and the AI just stands there watching you try to get back up.

The Field Medic skill has the ai give you health tablets when you're downed.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I'm happy enough with the AI reviving me on low health and with no ammo when I take into account the fact I don't have to look after them at all and I can use them to take the heat off me without caring about their health. In Leon's campaign in particular, when you split up from Helena every now and then, there were times I had 0 ammo (this is my huge gripe with the game - don't make sections where one character has to wait around or snipe from afar and not give them ammo or a mounted weapon or something, loving stupid) and if she'd had a HP bar I would have never advanced from that section.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thievery posted:

I'm happy enough with the AI reviving me on low health and with no ammo when I take into account the fact I don't have to look after them at all and I can use them to take the heat off me without caring about their health. In Leon's campaign in particular, when you split up from Helena every now and then, there were times I had 0 ammo (this is my huge gripe with the game - don't make sections where one character has to wait around or snipe from afar and not give them ammo or a mounted weapon or something, loving stupid) and if she'd had a HP bar I would have never advanced from that section.

If I recall every time that happens there are respawning sources of ammo, they just take time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You gotta love these hackers.

Some guy secured the ace of spades in no seconds. In fact, they were given 18 minutes to add on to their 24 hour days.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If I recall every time that happens there are respawning sources of ammo, they just take time.

The worst example of it and the one I was thinking of when I wrote that was when you're in chapter...2 or 3, underground anyway, and Leon's stuck on a little rock and Helena's gotta go around and activate a bridge or something. There are zombies that drop down behind Leon, which you can kill for ammo, however in my play through at least I had no ammo the entire time and it took around 30 seconds for one zombie to drop down. It was a lot of standing doing nothing, at least.

Also Chris's end boss. I had quite a lot of times where I didn't have any ammo actually apart for when I played as Jake.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright I caved.

What's the "important" stuff the lack of manual doesn't tell you? I'm rather terrified of spoilers (I TAKE MY CANON SERIOUSLY OKAY), so you know. :v:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How to dodge, duck and roll. Brad Shoemaker, of giantbomb, pretty much played through the entire game for review without ever knowning you could slide, dodge or roll around on the ground. It's why he gave it two stars and why he could only barely tolerate the Chris campaign (because it's the closest thing to Gears of War in the game).

The RE5 manual told you just about everything concerning the controls and what you can do with your ally and all that stuff.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Jimbot posted:

How to dodge, duck and roll. Brad Shoemaker, of giantbomb, pretty much played through the entire game for review without ever knowning you could slide, dodge or roll around on the ground. It's why he gave it two stars and why he could only barely tolerate the Chris campaign (because it's the closest thing to Gears of War in the game).

The RE5 manual told you just about everything concerning the controls and what you can do with your ally and all that stuff.

Brad's also pretty bad at games, so his tough time with 6 wasn't much of a shocker.

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright I caved.

What's the "important" stuff the lack of manual doesn't tell you? I'm rather terrified of spoilers (I TAKE MY CANON SERIOUSLY OKAY), so you know. :v:
http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Do you all just not pay attention to the loading screens? Every single complaint made about "the game doesn't tell you this" I've seen explained while staring at a loading screen

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

The Miracle posted:

Do you all just not pay attention to the loading screens? Every single complaint made about "the game doesn't tell you this" I've seen explained while staring at a loading screen

That loading screen is never up long enough for me to read it. It's like a blip and then the game loads.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I learnt about the healing tablet refill from the loading screens, but one important note: it only works when you have no tablets. Pressing R2+Square/X while you have tablets does nothing for you.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Semiru posted:

I learnt about the healing tablet refill from the loading screens, but one important note: it only works when you have no tablets. Pressing R2+Square/X while you have tablets does nothing for you.

It does work when you have tablets and I am 100% sure on this. The timing is just VERY strict, if you do it wrong you'll just eat a tablet.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Thievery posted:

It does work when you have tablets and I am 100% sure on this. The timing is just VERY strict, if you do it wrong you'll just eat a tablet.

Just make sure you don't have too many tablets, either. :v:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Tremors posted:

Just make sure you don't have too many tablets, either. :v:

On that note, who the hell thought that capping tabs at 17 when you can create them in multiples of 6 was a good idea? Chances are you're not going to ever have 3r and 3g and no tabs all at the same time (or the inventory space to even entertain the notion), but it is conceivable that you could be only mixing 6 at a time and not getting hit in the meantime. It's just an extra kick in the dick considering how miserable the inventory system is already.

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.
As obnoxious as it was to have virtually nothing explained starting out, I did find it entertaining to continually learn new features about the game during my fourth, fifth, etc. playthroughs. "Oh, you're supposed to shoot the whoppers in the legs!" "Oh, you can duck while aiming to dodge poo poo!" It reminds me of playing Arkham Asylum, and not having the combat system click until the very end of hard mode on my second playthrough.

I still have absolutely no loving idea how to counter things effectively. Sometimes I do it on accident, but that's it. So, in that regard, it's exactly like the dodge system from RE3.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
On inventory: The game should allow you to "hide" some of your weapons so you can't select them with the d-pad or pick up any ammo for them. I feel like I'm just holding too much stuff during the later chapters.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Miracle posted:

It's a loading screen, who the hell thought putting pertinent info on a loading screen was a good way to convey that information?

Wooph posted:

On inventory: The game should allow you to "hide" some of your weapons so you can't select them with the d-pad or pick up any ammo for them. I feel like I'm just holding too much stuff during the later chapters.

yeah, the new inventory is crap when you get more than three weapons; it's why mercenaries plays better, you only have at the most three weapons

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 13, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly wish you could drop some weapons entirely, yeah. I never use half of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Honest Thief posted:

It's a loading screen, who the hell thought putting pertinent info on a loading screen was a good way to convey that information?

Um, games do this. It's not like it's an uncommon thing and RE5 actually did the same thing with the storyline from previous games for people who cared enough. The problem is that the loading screens don't last long enough to get some of the more important things from them. Mind you, the game could still explain some stuff in the actual game, that would help a lot more than a loading screen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Um, games do this. It's not like it's an uncommon thing and RE5 actually did the same thing with the storyline from previous games for people who cared enough. The problem is that the loading screens don't last long enough to get some of the more important things from them. Mind you, the game could still explain some stuff in the actual game, that would help a lot more than a loading screen.

Other games ship with a manual. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly wish you could drop some weapons entirely, yeah. I never use half of them.

Agreed. As much as I like the game I feel the lack of a store/weapon upgrade system was a bad thing. There was something great about going through RE5 with a partner deciding who got what weapon and so on.