Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

RHTITE posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTwzLyNIziQ

Ah, what could have been.

I'm starting to feel like having vocals ruins Black Metal a whole lot more often than it improves it.

Saw this the other day, sick video. Love seeing old school rehearsal footage of bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
I apologize if this has been posted before, but there's a 3 part documentary about bedroom black metal bands and it centers around the guys from Xasthur, Striborg and Leviathan. I didn't expect Malefic to look the way he does, with his shaved head and flat brimmed hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl6PzXU4cQ

private message fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 4, 2012

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
That black metal doc has been pretty interesting so far.

On the flipside, someone at metal-archives posted this clip from a Norwegian game show wherein contestants have to write and perform a black metal song -- and they're aided by King from Gorgoroth. Also apparently Hellhammer shows up for the performance segment, but that was the point where I couldn't take it anymore, so I can't say for sure whether or not I saw him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxRRxd24kig&t=44m04s

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Anus Dei posted:

On the flipside, someone at metal-archives posted this clip from a Norwegian game show wherein contestants have to write and perform a black metal song -- and they're aided by King from Gorgoroth. Also apparently Hellhammer shows up for the performance segment, but that was the point where I couldn't take it anymore, so I can't say for sure whether or not I saw him.

Yeah that looks like hellhammer's arcturus mask in the back on drums.

jesus christ that was horrifying.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Rejoice fans of Joel Grind's Yellow Goat material! This note was just posted on Joel Grind's blog this weekend...

People keep asking me about this record. I'm in the process of remixing it as I felt the original mix didn't quite capture what I was going for. The first mix seemed a little tame, it wasn't quite as paint peeling as I planned. The future mix will be more in line what was intended: A total wall of noise. I had a few labels show interest in releasing it but I may do a self released LP. I will be releasing it under my own name so it will be released as follows: "Joel Grind: The YELLOWGOAT Sessions".

Some questions have arose about why this isn't being released under the name Toxic Holocaust since it's sort of a back to my roots (Critical Mass demo era) type record. Reason being, I feel Toxic has sort of entered a new phase with this current lineup and it feels less like the solo project it started out as and now feels like a real band...the way I envisioned Toxic from the very beginning. Not to mention "The YELLOWGOAT Sessions" is not really rooted in Thrash Metal, its more dirty Rock n Roll meets Black Metal, not unlike early Bathory (where the name is lifted from).

Stay tuned for updates.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Anus Dei posted:

I feel sorry for the one who got stuck wearing the "At War With Satan" shirt.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Rejoice fans of Joel Grind's Yellow Goat material! This note was just posted on Joel Grind's blog this weekend...

Yessssssss

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

People keep asking me about this record. I'm in the process of remixing it as I felt the original mix didn't quite capture what I was going for. The first mix seemed a little tame, it wasn't quite as paint peeling as I planned. The future mix will be more in line what was intended: A total wall of noise. I had a few labels show interest in releasing it but I may do a self released LP. I will be releasing it under my own name so it will be released as follows: "Joel Grind: The YELLOWGOAT Sessions".

Some questions have arose about why this isn't being released under the name Toxic Holocaust since it's sort of a back to my roots (Critical Mass demo era) type record. Reason being, I feel Toxic has sort of entered a new phase with this current lineup and it feels less like the solo project it started out as and now feels like a real band...the way I envisioned Toxic from the very beginning. Not to mention "The YELLOWGOAT Sessions" is not really rooted in Thrash Metal, its more dirty Rock n Roll meets Black Metal, not unlike early Bathory (where the name is lifted from).

Stay tuned for updates.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Dirty rock n roll meets black metal sounds right up my street.

PS I am on a bit of a Black N Roll kick at the moment in the vein of Taake's latest (Noregs Vaapen). Any recommendations are more than welcome. Plaag's album "UGH" seems pretty good.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

nomapple posted:

PS I am on a bit of a Black N Roll kick at the moment in the vein of Taake's latest (Noregs Vaapen). Any recommendations are more than welcome. Plaag's album "UGH" seems pretty good.

Horna went after a similiar sound as Joel Grind is describing with their Sotahuuto album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQX0eESJ6e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giknl8CCbK8
e: And if you have, by some strange chance, missed Barathrum's post-Eerie albums, you should definitely give Legions of Perkele a try. Featuring possibly the only black metal song to ever be featured on a karaoke DVD (yes, really):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_OhMqiJ_c

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 8, 2012

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

I'd like to remind all the young ones on the black metal thread that Venom's Black Metal turned 30 today (Nov. 1st). So lay down your souls to the gods rock n' roll!!!

I feel somewhat ashamed to admit that I finally picked up this album last week, I'd been meaning to but never got around to it. Obviously closer to thrash metal than what's considered black metal now, but it still rocks just as hard. And Teacher's Pet is just awesome.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
What's everyone's opinion on the new Shining, Redefining Darkness?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

nomapple posted:

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Dirty rock n roll meets black metal sounds right up my street.

http://sepulchre.bandcamp.com/

:smugdog:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Bloodmobile posted:

Horna went after a similiar sound as Joel Grind is describing with their Sotahuuto album.

Goddamn, I've got Horna albums but I never heard this until today. I really loving like this. Hopefully it'll hold me over til Joel Grind gets that album out. gently caress YES YELLOWGOAT

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
God drat I just can't get enough of Naked Whipper and demo-era Impaled Nazarene, but unfortunately those are the only bands I know who played black/grind in a distinctly '90s style. Anyone have recommendations?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Goddamn, I've got Horna albums but I never heard this until today. I really loving like this. Hopefully it'll hold me over til Joel Grind gets that album out. gently caress YES YELLOWGOAT

All of this. Oh man this album rules hard. UGHUGHUGHUGH! OUGH!

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Bloodmobile posted:

God drat I just can't get enough of Naked Whipper and demo-era Impaled Nazarene, but unfortunately those are the only bands I know who played black/grind in a distinctly '90s style. Anyone have recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvhE3C_nxyk

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'm surprised no info about the One Man Metal, I found it very interesting. Here's what the AV Club had to say:

AV Club posted:

Hate, fear, misanthropy, and isolation: Such is the stuff of black metal. That goes double for the genre’s subcategory, one-man black metal bands. The first installment of a new three-part documentary, One Man Metal, sets out to expose and explore the underbellies of these artists: black metal practitioners who shun even the basic human contact of playing in a band with other people. Instead, they prefer writing, playing, and recording everything themselves, usually in a room that looks like a self-sentenced prison cell.
The documentary is off to a good start, with interviewer JR Robinson speaking with black metal recluses like Oakland’s Jef Whitehead (a.k.a. Wrest of Leviathan), Tasmania’s Russell Menzies (a.k.a. Sin Nanna of Striborg), and Los Angeles’ Scott Conner (a.k.a. Malefic of Xasthur). Some subjects—such as Striborg’s siphoning of inspiration from “the natural realm” [cue footage of goats]—are handled with sensitivity and depth. Others topics are neglected entirely, most notably Whitehead’s conviction this year for domestic abuse (the original charge was rape) and the fact that he also plays in bands like Nachtmystium with real, live people. That said, Whitehead delivers the best line of this installment: “There’s a certain honesty in the fuckin’ picked-on loner fuckin’ screaming his head off and playing powerful guitar.”

Here's part one, it's three parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl6PzXU4cQ

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Or you could just watch this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1E6ApDTTro

or listen to Havohej or some poo poo

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

But that sounds just like regular norwegian black metal to me :confused:
To clarify, here is an example of the style I'm looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUUwQ5NaA0Q

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 10, 2012

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
I think you'd be better served searching out cross over Death Metal acts than worrying about Black Metal stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI1ItXX3QV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTya020vTI

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Does anyone know of any bands similar to newer Darkthrone? I'm referring to the material starting with F.O.A.D. I don't even know what to describe it as other than black/crust punk or something. As awesome as Circle the Wagons and Dark Thrones and Black Flags are, I can't spin just them. I need something new.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012

Mortuus posted:

Does anyone know of any bands similar to newer Darkthrone? I'm referring to the material starting with F.O.A.D. I don't even know what to describe it as other than black/crust punk or something. As awesome as Circle the Wagons and Dark Thrones and Black Flags are, I can't spin just them. I need something new.

Just listen to GGUW. Best release this year.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Mortuus posted:

Evil rock and roll, you say?

Omega
Midnight
Barathrum
Kvelertak
Toxic Holocaust
Inepsy
Beginning of the End

:tipshat:

Swim Good posted:

Just listen to GGUW. Best release this year.

I... don't think you've heard the newer Darkthrone releases.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012

Rion.exe posted:

I... don't think you've heard the newer Darkthrone releases.

I have, I just think everyone should listen to more GGUW.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Mortuus posted:

Check out Dishammer as well.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Mortuus posted:

Seconding the Midnight recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMPJe5biVU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

deadking posted:

I cry myself to sleep almost every night knowing that this band has disbanded.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

m-o-o-n posted:

Seconding the Midnight recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMPJe5biVU

Thirding it, they seriously own.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Personperson14 posted:

Thirding it, they seriously own.

4thing it.

SAY-TANIC ROYALTEEEEEEE!!

Anyway, according to this interview, Yellowgoat material might never see the light of day?

That sure would suck. By the way the link at the bottom of the interview for the 8 minute preview doesn't work, it says the video was removed by the user :(

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Holy poo poo. Midnight rules. Thanks!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Bloodmobile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQX0eESJ6e4

This is seriously the best song I've heard in months. I haven't not listened to this album one day yet and this song gets repeated even more.

I'm amazed how many bands make that main melody line sound like it's their own each time they use it. How many so far? Burzum, Bathory and Mayhem I think have used it, off the top of my head...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Finnish Pest were pretty rocking when they wanted to be.

[edit] and since finnish bands and punky riffs are being talked about... dat riff.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 12, 2012

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

deadking posted:

this rules SO MUCH, thanks.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm amazed how many bands make that main melody line sound like it's their own each time they use it. How many so far? Burzum, Bathory and Mayhem I think have used it, off the top of my head...

Don't forget Root's Pisen Pro Satana, which might be my favorite variation of it besides Necromansy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHYNOMKCSMc

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 14, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Wow I never even noticed it in there before, it's so slow. So we're at 5 bands using dat riff?

Speaking of Root what do people think of their DVDs? Are they worth it or is the sound awful enough to skip them? I can't find any reviews worth listening to (in english anyway)

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting into black metal now, and Burzum is loving tight. What is up with his crazy loving ideas though? I'm scared to read the lyrics because I might find out these awesome tracks are about a bunch of stupid poo poo.

Anyway, I'm new to this genre but I'm really feeling it. I've listened to Ulver's first four records and Burzum's discography (among a few others). What are the classic, definitive black metal records I should check out?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dog Jones posted:

I'm getting into black metal now, and Burzum is loving tight. What is up with his crazy loving ideas though? I'm scared to read the lyrics because I might find out these awesome tracks are about a bunch of stupid poo poo.

Anyway, I'm new to this genre but I'm really feeling it. I've listened to Ulver's first four records and Burzum's discography (among a few others). What are the classic, definitive black metal records I should check out?

If you're going to be a metal fan, black metal especially, it's best to ignore the message and just enjoy the music.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Dog Jones posted:

Immortal- At The Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness are two great records you should check out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dog Jones posted:

:shrug: That's kind of the way it goes sometimes. All black metal involves some degree of ridiculousness - whether or not the creator is conscious of the fact that it's ridiculous doesn't affect its merit, though. Varg's lyrics tend to be less provocative than the screeds of nonsense on his website, though - especially on the first few albums (his best, I'd say) it's all very much fantasy stuff you'd have to stretch pretty far to be offended by. I don't think anyone should ignore the messages that black metal musicians are putting out there - but it is, as with any other music, a good idea to take those messages with an appropriate amount of salt. Which in Varg's case is a pretty heaping spoonful.

Dog Jones posted:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark remains the foundational album of the genre for me. Of the 90s Norwegian scene, Mayhem - Live in Leipzig, Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger, and maybe the Emperor/Enslaved split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

skasion posted:

:shrug: That's kind of the way it goes sometimes. All black metal involves some degree of ridiculousness - whether or not the creator is conscious of the fact that it's ridiculous doesn't affect its merit, though. Varg's lyrics tend to be less provocative than the screeds of nonsense on his website, though - especially on the first few albums (his best, I'd say) it's all very much fantasy stuff you'd have to stretch pretty far to be offended by. I don't think anyone should ignore the messages that black metal musicians are putting out there - but it is, as with any other music, a good idea to take those messages with an appropriate amount of salt. Which in Varg's case is a pretty heaping spoonful.

I looked up some of his lyrics, and they seemed pretty cool to me -- pretty much what I was imagining before I learned he had these crazy rear end racist ideas:

quote:

An unknown voice called
From the tower, in which none lived
Beyond the forest
In that nothing lived

A call in the dream so beautiful
Like the voice of the queen of the night

We awoke and saw the moon
Partly covered from dark clouds

It was cold and wet
On our travel into the realm
The unborn thoughts
Finally we can see, what called us
Because we followed the voice tonight...

skasion posted:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark remains the foundational album of the genre for me. Of the 90s Norwegian scene, Mayhem - Live in Leipzig, Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger, and maybe the Emperor/Enslaved split.

That Bathory record is on a lot of the "top ten" lists I was looking up before I posted this, so I really need to get around to that. I was a little put off by the album cover, as stupid as that is.