Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oh my I've fallen in love with the kishock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

chami posted:

So the Trooper is my new favorite class. Equip Engineering Kit and Power Amplifier, strip shields with the Acolyte and then melt everything with a damage/damage/armor specced Flamer. Flamer is a great power to abuse right hand-cover with as well; Atlases and Primes can't really hurt you while you eat their entire armor bar with one full-duration Flamer.
If you get range instead of damage, you'll burn everything 15m in front of you, forever.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Midee posted:

When did the human extraction challenge start? I thought it was Thursday, but they changed it today so I guess it was earlier in the week? :confused:

It was on Wednesday which was "N7 Day" and I think they gave you two days to finish it so it ended yesterday. It was a special event challenge like the Halloween challenge and not a normal weekend one.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

If you get range instead of damage, you'll burn everything 15m in front of you, forever.
I prefer adding more damage; 10m was enough for me to work with. 15 worked amazingly when I was using it, but I wanted to try out more damage.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Nordick posted:

Also, THEY FIXED THE RIDICULOUS MAIN MENU WAIT BUG HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER.

You mean how the main menu doesn't take 2 whole minutes to load and then another minute to start up multiplayer? Yeah I was really happy to see that.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Desperately trying to get back into the swing of MP. I'll be playing on the 360 for most of the night. Tortuga de Dios.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
I just unlocked the vorcha soldier :flame: and I really need to find some goon games on PC (my username is telvenn). Getting wiped on silver runs can be really fustrating

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

thevoiceofdog posted:

You mean how the main menu doesn't take 2 whole minutes to load and then another minute to start up multiplayer? Yeah I was really happy to see that.
Yes, that. It also won't take like half a minute to access the drat store.

Also, thanks to Zoran and crew for dragging my scrub rear end through a few plat games, I had a good time and made credits!

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Just had my most embarrassing moment ever in a game where on a Gold Reaper round I was the last one alive and kiting 3 Banshees and a Brute all over the map as a Salarian Engie, spamming decoy/energy drain and generally taking a hell of a long time to kill them all while the squad patiently waited. Finally I was down to one half-dead brute, saw a Cannibal at the bottom of a ladder, strayed too close to the edge while trying to shoot it, dropped down and it killed me.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

chami posted:

I prefer adding more damage; 10m was enough for me to work with. 15 worked amazingly when I was using it, but I wanted to try out more damage.

The extra range is really great for crowd control. It also helps with killing bosses from cover. I wouldn't say that going for the extra damage is wrong though. I'm finding range really helpful though and haven't really noticed the missing damage. poo poo still dies super loving fast. I skipped hunter mode though so I'm tanky enough to kill poo poo at a slightly slower pace.

Also you should try a stronghold package on him. The geth soldier benefits from it more than any other class in the game because of the DR and 1000 base shields.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The funniest of those I saw was a Kroguard slowly grinding his way through a Cerberus wave over several minutes, only to finally end up shooting at the final Atlas, moving closer and further back around cover. He got too close and it tried to get him with a ground punch.

I'd read here recently that the Atlas can only do its rare and never before seen (by me) instakill after it's attempted one of its two melee moves. I instinctively knew what was coming. Yep, he charged and got grabbed. I laughed at him over the mic.

HiroChicken
Jun 3, 2007

Eevee of Tomorrow
Hey, PS3 dudes Good games tonight! I had fun freezing everybody through walls and getting gutted by a phantom.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Slithery D posted:

I'd read here recently that the Atlas can only do its rare and never before seen (by me) instakill after it's attempted one of its two melee moves. I instinctively knew what was coming. Yep, he charged and got grabbed. I laughed at him over the mic.

This happens to me constantly as a Volus. I think the lower perspective screws with how close I think I am to the "oh wait you're going over" threshold.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Tried the Valkyrie out as part of my AR challenge, and it wasn't as terrible as I'd been led to believe. Part of that was probably using it on a Ghost, but when I kept hitting the trigger like you would with a Mattock, it put out some rather decent damage. There are definitely better options (Harrier, Saber), but it's not unusable either.

Also Warp ammo on a Falcon in the hands of a Justicar is all kinds of fun.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
DPS wise, the Valkyrie is up there with the Harrier and the Mattock, though it's definitely in third place. Its advantages over both are the fact that it doesn't give you carpal tunnel syndrome as bad as the Mattock, it's more accurate than the Mattock, and it doesn't run out of ammo as fast as either. The worst thing about it IMO is that you can only upgrade it with commendation packs, so you'll only max it out if you're incredibly lucky or unlucky as you may see it.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The worst thing about Dragoons is when I'm standing next them and think they're on my team. EVERY GAME.
:argh:

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

The Slithery D posted:

The worst thing about Dragoons is when I'm standing next them and think they're on my team. EVERY GAME.
:argh:

See also: People with the Geth Plasma Shotgun. Makes me go "oh poo poo" every time I hear the sound of a shot going off.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I have a different reaction. It makes me fail to notice when an actual Hunter is shooting someone behind me.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Non-dodging class + in cover + targeted by Possessed Scion = 90% chance of death and lots of fun. They should at least make the take cover/dodge button get you out of cover. I'm not saying that pushing really hard on the move controller stick for a couple of seconds with no result isn't the smartest way to do it, but maybe there's another way for variety or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but what causes a possessed Collector to explode in a ~10m radius bomb upon death? For some reason I never paid attention to this before but in my last few games I ended up dying a bunch after being suicide nuked.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
That's what happens when you kill a Possessed Abomination. Like any zombie, you can prevent that from happening by killing it by removing the head (with a batarian or shadow heavy melee, or with a headshot).

Regular Abominations also explode on death, but much less forcefully.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

1st AD posted:

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but what causes a possessed Collector to explode in a ~10m radius bomb upon death? For some reason I never paid attention to this before but in my last few games I ended up dying a bunch after being suicide nuked.

It's Possessed Abominations specifically. Sever their head (usually by letting them grab you and doing the prompt) or get the gently caress away when they show up.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
E: /\/\/\ :argh:

Killing a possessed Abomination in any way other than with a headshot.
It also happens with regular Abominations but they merely explode kind of like a grenade as opposed to a guddamn nuclear bomb.

And speaking of which, Human Adepts are awesome against Collectors what with Singularity. It's an awesome panic button if you notice an Abomination or two who managed to sneak up on you.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

1st AD posted:

Abominations (the slightly-glowing Husk-like guys) explode on death unless decapitated (headshot, sword cut, Batarian punch, let it get grab you and then mash the F key so that you stomp its skull). The explosion radius and damage is minor, similar to a killed-by-backpack-shot Engineer.

When possessed, an Abomination gains a weak barrier and its explosive radius/damage is dramatically increased. They're recognizable by their bright glow. Depending on team composition your tactics will vary; you may want to leave them alone so that your Shadow can cut them down, or simply retreat the entire team and then shoot them. I tend to Pull them so that they can't advance. On higher difficulties they tend to get killed by splash damage (e.g. Fire Explosions on a nearby Praetorian, or the detonation of a Volus Recon Mine) which can abruptly knock out a few players and cause them to scan the killfeed and then bitch at you :)

Other types of Collectors (troopers, captains, swarms, scions) do not explode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Krogan cover-grabs smash their skull too. :)

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Vorcha heavy melee decapitates them too.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Shockwave is great for sending them flying away from you, especially when you can throw them back into a crowd of enemies. Pretty sure the explosion does some damage.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Human Adept heavy melee has a similar physics effect on them, with the bonus satisfying feeling of punching something and watching it explode mid-air as it flies away from you.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
And biotic charge that kills them usually rag dolls them far enough away before they explode.

But really there's nothing you can do about them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Basically you can kill abominations in quite a lot of ways that keeps them from blowing up in your face it's just that most people seem to panic and blow them away with a point blank bodyshot.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Pull's really useful against them, too. As a rule, if I'm on a class with Pull I use it on every husk and abomination.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cowcaster posted:

Basically you can kill abominations in quite a lot of ways that keeps them from blowing up in your face it's just that most people seem to panic and blow them away with a point blank bodyshot.

I had a pretty funny moment yesterday with a possessed abomination, where it came up to me and I let it grab me so I could stomp it, because I didn't want a point blank explosion.

Problem: N7 Destroyer with missile launcher enabled. In the middle of the grab animation, missiles fired, abomination died, blew out the entire room I was in and took me down instantly.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I was rolling with my Batarian Sent. and a teammate helpfully shot a possessed abomb right in front of us just as I was casting shockwave to knock it back. The radius on the blast isn't as big as it looks and you can usually get them with a shotgun before they're close enough to be a problem.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So over the last week ME3 would randomly shut down my computer, usually on later waves, and I had no idea why. After trying a number of fixes, updating drivers, etc. I finally opened up my case: Turns out the sticker on my video card was peeling off, and apparently would jam the fan whenever it was whirring heavily, thus forcing a system shutdown. :v:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

exquisite tea posted:

So over the last week ME3 would randomly shut down my computer, usually on later waves, and I had no idea why. After trying a number of fixes, updating drivers, etc. I finally opened up my case: Turns out the sticker on my video card was peeling off, and apparently would jam the fan whenever it was whirring heavily, thus forcing a system shutdown. :v:

:pcgaming:

I hope no on rememembers husks and abominations from me2 died instantly if they were lifted off the ground or had their legs shotgunned off. :v:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So today I guess I pissed the leader off in a game. I was playing my ghost with the top score in wave 8. The host, a kroguard, was in second place and came up to me during wave 9 and proceeded to headbutt and heavy melee me the whole wave. It was very annoying.

I don't think I was kill stealing, but I was pretty much just taking anything in my field of view and killing em, harrier style.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

nwin posted:

So today I guess I pissed the leader off in a game. I was playing my ghost with the top score in wave 8. The host, a kroguard, was in second place and came up to me during wave 9 and proceeded to headbutt and heavy melee me the whole wave. It was very annoying.

I don't think I was kill stealing, but I was pretty much just taking anything in my field of view and killing em, harrier style.

Pubbies do this when they feel they are wronged, like the one that tried to do likewise on Gold Reapers because he felt I compromised his camping spot by activating the Reactor hazard button (which I hadn't been standing anywhere near).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I heavy melee at my allies only in lack of a decent "high-five" button, myself.

Getting two human adepts to do it at each other at the same time should still wipe out everything around them in a 20m radius :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nwin posted:

That is just what you do whenever you play a Krogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

exquisite tea posted:

Were you playing Vorcha characters at any time?

• Locked thread