Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cowcaster posted:

I heavy melee at my allies only in lack of a decent "high-five" button, myself.

Getting two human adepts to do it at each other at the same time should still wipe out everything around them in a 20m radius :colbert:

Ahem. Batarians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05R-oci0Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That was beautiful. Now I have to go play my Batarian Brawler cause of that video.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

exquisite tea posted:

That is just what you do whenever you play a Krogan.
Oh I do it all the time, I just stick to in between waves.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I just realized the only weapons I don't have unlocked are the Harrier, Particle Rifle, Hurricane, and Collector SMG. Expect the latter to have its damage tripled if I somehow don't pull one in the next 48 hours.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wampus42 posted:

exquisite tea posted:

So over the last week ME3 would randomly shut down my computer, usually on later waves, and I had no idea why. After trying a number of fixes, updating drivers, etc. I finally opened up my case: Turns out the sticker on my video card was peeling off, and apparently would jam the fan whenever it was whirring heavily, thus forcing a system shutdown. :v:

Were you playing Vorcha characters at any time?

This comment didn't get enough love.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

The Slithery D posted:

I just realized the only weapons I don't have unlocked are the Harrier, Particle Rifle, Hurricane, and Collector SMG. Expect the latter to have its damage tripled if I somehow don't pull one in the next 48 hours.

The Collector SMG is absolutely terrible, you're not missing anything. For the record I'm one of those insane people that doesn't hate the Eagle, even before it got buffed. Even the shittier guns have some niche build they can work with but the CSMG is so, so bad. It expends all its ammo in about two seconds and then you're stuck in a five second reload animation that you can't cancel out of, all the while you're getting shot to pieces.

The Harrier and Hurricane own bones though, better start praying to the RNG god that fortune shall smile upon you.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Finally got to experience the joy of someone hacking a match. Should have known it was off when I joined the lobby and noticed the guy hosting was using the text chat functionality briefly. Get into a gold match with cerberus, first wave is maybe a bit tougher. Second wave, someone comments that it seems like a lot of minions, and by the seventh or eight wave I watched so many engineers spawn at once that I think some got bumped off the map or over ledges, and was greatly disturbed to see not two or three guardians forming a little phalanx, but a good eight or nine. Extraction wave was a horde of probably 20-30 or so dragoons bum rushing us. Was actually pretty funny listening to people on chat freaking out.

As a side, the guy was using a havoc character and seemed to be able to carry two huge weapons, while perpetually havoc striking. I don't have a havoc yet, but it is safe to assume that's also not kosher right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Saw a guy with a Collector SMG X.

I pity him.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I...

I use a collector SMG on my vorcha since the lack of a reload time means I can spray bullets without having to worry about precious seconds spent reloading in the rare moments when I'm not jizzing flames over everything...

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 12, 2012

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Cowcaster posted:

I...

I use a collector SMG on my vorcha since the lack of a reload time means I can spray bullets without having to worry about precious seconds spent reloading in the rare moments when I'm not jizzing flames over everything...

Collector SMG on a Vorcha on bronze is the only acceptable use, because you regenerate so quickly that the enemies can't kill you while you sit there for 5 seconds doing absolutely nothing while waiting for it to cool down.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jpmeyer posted:

Collector SMG on a Vorcha on bronze is the only acceptable use, because you regenerate so quickly that the enemies can't kill you while you sit there for 5 seconds doing absolutely nothing while waiting for it to cool down.

I don't overheat it though that's the thing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I don't want to quote myself, but use it with extended mag and AP ammo on a power class and fire the drat thing between casting. If you're using it on gun class you're straight up ignoring what it's there for.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
So apparently the 'trick' to fighting praetorians as a vanguard is to wait for them to float into the air. That way they can't melee you immediately out of charge. Instead they need to take a second to land, at which point they can start with the claws.

It's not a huge help for Kroguards and Batvans, what with the lack of a backwards dodge, but I was having far fewer issues with my Asari vanguard with a Reegar.

I also noticed that on my justicar with 110 DR (40 reave + 30 bubble + 40 cover), a scion would hit the shield gate in 2 hits. As she has effectively about 5500 shields, that's kind of ridiculous, especially with scion's damage being cut in half last week.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So provided you have an online pass, you can play the ME3 multi on a console from either disc, my friend just gave me his disc 2 for that specific purpose.

You mind if I add you Tortuga? Could use some Xbox dudes to play with.

I must be insane playing this game on 2 different platforms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wampus42 posted:

Were you playing Vorcha characters at any time?

Took me a minute.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How do you Paladin players deal with the phantom/dragoon bum-rush phases of gold/Cerberus (with pubbies)? I feel like I've been doing pretty well running my Paladin on Gold, but when I hit those waves, I just go down constantly. I'll get shot by an approaching dragoon, taking me down to the shield gate, and do a ED stun/snap freeze, dodge a melee attack, then get shot in the face. If I try to run away, I'll get shot in the back of the head by phantom hand cannons (or run into a turret and need to stop).

Pretty much any map with corridors with only two approaches devolve into a hilarious Benny Hill routine of trying to pick people back up faster than they go down, which doesn't seem right at all.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 12, 2012

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Alteisen posted:

So provided you have an online pass, you can play the ME3 multi on a console from either disc, my friend just gave me his disc 2 for that specific purpose.

You mind if I add you Tortuga? Could use some Xbox dudes to play with.

I must be insane playing this game on 2 different platforms.

Go right ahead. I spend so much time fighting the enemies AND the lag, it'd be good to have some reliable teammates there while I teleport around the map.

Sarcasm aside, seriously tough, add me.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Stickman posted:

How do you Paladin players deal with the phantom/dragoon bum-rush phases of gold/Cerberus (with pubbies)? I feel like I've been doing pretty well running my Paladin on Gold, but when I hit those waves, I just go down constantly. I'll get shot by an approaching dragoon, taking me down to the shield gate, and do a ED stun/snap freeze, dodge a melee attack, then get shot in the face. If I try to run away, I'll get shot in the back of the head by phantom hand cannons.

Pretty much any map with corridors with only two approaches devolve into a hilarious Benny Hill routine of trying to pick people back up faster than they go down, which doesn't seem right at all.

I usually run with an Acolyte on the Paladin, it's expressly an anti-Phantom cannon. Pop the barriers with a shot, smack the Phantom with a Cryo shield, dispose at your leisure. Energy Drain works well too since it'll fill shields back up.

Dragoons can be staggered in melee, so shield smack -> Snap Freeze/shoot -> smack should handle the situation

If you've got Incinerate, that'll work nicely on the Dragoons inbetween shield smacks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dilb posted:

So apparently the 'trick' to fighting praetorians as a vanguard is to wait for them to float into the air. That way they can't melee you immediately out of charge. Instead they need to take a second to land, at which point they can start with the claws.

It's not a huge help for Kroguards and Batvans, what with the lack of a backwards dodge, but I was having far fewer issues with my Asari vanguard with a Reegar.

I also noticed that on my justicar with 110 DR (40 reave + 30 bubble + 40 cover), a scion would hit the shield gate in 2 hits. As she has effectively about 5500 shields, that's kind of ridiculous, especially with scion's damage being cut in half last week.

Don't praetorians activate a power-immunity bubble just like phantoms if they get hit with something while floating? Wouldn't that render charging them useless anyway?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It would be great and much better balance if they were to slow down drastically while immune to any and all powers for ~5 seconds.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Praetorians sometimes seem to be able to survive hits from the missile launcher too.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That and gaining more health/barrier combined than anything else in the game when possessed, with shield destroying heat seeking warp-missiles added to their infinite range cover ignoring eye lasers they can fire at the same time. Don't forget the lunge+sync kill combo they love so much. I'd probably hate collectors less if they couldn't have three possessed enemies at a time if they really wanted possession to be that powerful.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Why did no one tell me how loving amazing the Argus is?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

UnknownMercenary posted:

I don't want to quote myself, but use it with extended mag and AP ammo on a power class and fire the drat thing between casting. If you're using it on gun class you're straight up ignoring what it's there for.

Yeah but on that same power class you could use a Hurricane and have a much better SMG and still no cooldown and more than enough ammo.

I tried using the Collector SMG, it just doesn't do enough damage.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Two Finger posted:

Why did no one tell me how loving amazing the Argus is?

Because many people don't use it with proper stabilization. Full stability plus the thermal scope puts three bullets into the same spot if you're in cover.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

Because many people don't use it with proper stabilization. Full stability plus the thermal scope puts three bullets into the same spot if you're in cover.

Or you just play up close, works for me!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Crusader VIII.

I put the Shredder and Tighter Barrel mods on it, and I'm really surprised at how accurate I have to be with it, not something I usually expect from a shotgun, though it does hit like a house of bricks, though.

Also, I was leveling up my soldier class, and when I finished, I found something peculiar when I was upgrading my Geth Soldier...

This only happened to my Geth Soldier class, and after moving around in the menus a bit, it now says -21 points. I know this error is somewhat common, should I attempt to play like this? How can I fix it?

EDIT: I just did a Solo bronze like this and it FELT like I had everything maxed out, but I'm not sure since it was Bronze. I stopped and when I came back to the menu it still said -21

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 12, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Vietnamwees posted:

Crusader VIII.

I put the Shredder and Tighter Barrel mods on it

You're doing it wrong.

The Crusader's whole deal is that it fires a single high powered slug. It also has cover penetration built in, basically it's an unscoped sniper rifle that you can but a bayonet on. Smart choke does nothing since it's always dead accurate and shredder does very little since it already shoots through cover and the extra damage to armor (+32.5 with a shredder V) is far less then the the bonus damage from a heavy barrel (+188.34 for a Crusader VIII and heavy barrel V). Just take the extra damage and either spare clips or a melee mod if you use melee at all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You know how there's a shotgun that's a sniper rifle, a pistol that's an SMG, a sniper rifle that's an assault rifle, etc, I wish there was that same thing with SMGs because a lot of times I take a specialty pistol and wish I had another light pistol type weapon.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Gave the Collector SMG a try on my phoenix adept, I don't hate it. It doesn't see much use between lash and smash though, so that's a factor I guess.

I feel like the only SMGs I'll ever really look at using are the Hornet and Hurricane because, yeah, there isn't really a lot of variety in them. A wildly inaccurate high-ROF scattershot SMG or something could be fun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I roll with my Lone Wolf title most of the time and tonight I got a message saying 'did you really earn that?'
I replied 'yeah, Kroguard makes it easy.'
They then set up a Geth/Gold game for me to prove it.

They all wiped on wave 7 and I took on and beat that wave, the next one, and the one after by myself, with a score well over triple their combined.

:smug:

Sometimes you feel like the man.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

quote:

This comment didn't get enough love.
MOTHERBOARD CHOKE AND DIE

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
IS it just me or does this game have an obscene amount of network traffic. Like 6-700mb of upload alone for a 2-3hour stretch of play.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Am I doing something right in just equipping my human Sentinel with a pistol and then just spamming Warp and Throw like there's no tomorrow? 'Cause with my insanely low recharge time I'm getting like 75+ Biotic kills per game. My favorite faction are Reapers because I just mow through Husks and Cannibals.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, you're doing it right. Human Sentinel is pure Biotic Explosions.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So the Hurricane is an SMG-shaped AR,
the Eagle is a Pistol-shaped SMG,
the Crusader is a shotgun-shaped sniper rifle,
the Valiant is a sniper rifle-shaped pistol,
fittingly enough the Valkyrie is an AR-shaped shotgun

That about the size of it?

(man I remember when the Valiant used to be good)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not quite; the Valiant is a sniper rifle that functions like a sniper rifle.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Valkyrie is a burst-fire assault rifle.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
As sniper rifles go the Valiant is decidedly mid-tier these days, there is no reason to use it if you have a Black Widow after the BW got buffed to such ridiculous levels.

It used to be the single most coveted item in the game now it's just kinda meh. It really does hit about as hard as a pistol now, it just happens to be a pistol that benefits from cloak damage but has a mandatory scope and a hip-fire penalty as well, and I'm not even sure that tradeoff is worth it. Maybe if they dropped the weight a bit it would be interesting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Yes, you're doing it right. Human Sentinel is pure Biotic Explosions.

Is there a direct tech equivalent? Most of the engineer classes seem to be a bit limited by recharge rates and energy drain only working on synthetics. Overload->incinerate doesn't work on armored bosses, right?

• Locked thread