Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shakey1992jm
Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

So. Hurricane Sandy sent a storm surge through a storage lot in Port Newark, in which lived 16 Fisker Karmas.

On a related note - there are a shitload of flood-damaged cars which are probably going to hit the used car market over the next couple of months ...

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Those are two of my pictures ... from page 1

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

buttcrackmenace posted:

On a related note - there are a shitload of flood-damaged cars which are probably going to hit the used car market over the next couple of months ...

Oh my goodness, I've thought the same thing. New York / New Jersey are notorious for shady patched-together cars... I can only imagine what's going to come out of this mess. Horrible flooded failures, indeed.

FuzzKill posted:

What an awesome burn. shakey1992jm is the worst poster.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've seen stuff for sale already. One guy on bimmerforums wants 4000 for a 250,000 mile m3 that had a tree crush the roof, break the rear window and dent the trunk.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FuzzKill posted:

I fuckin' knew those looked familiar.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Amazing how many flood damaged cars we find in NJ/NY that have insurance policies and registrations out of AL/GA. Misrepresentation ahoy!

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Vermont craigslist was a mess last year of cars going for 30-50% less than book value, with really odd electrical issues and an interior that smelled like wet dog.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This drove to me for a thermostat replacement and a rear driveshaft ujoint. Owner had absolutely no idea there was a problem with it... '01 Chevy S10, 4.3 Vortec, 5-speed manual, 4x4.

Spot the problem:

How about now?

Originally a 6-rib serpentine belt. 1 rib torn off, 3 ribs erased, 2 remaining.

All that remained of the pulley and belt.

Pulley? Bearing?

OK, there are still bearings? In there. Why won't it spin, or at least wobble around?

What the gently caress... :stare:

Note the bluing on the inner raceway.

Near as I can tell, it was parked for a few months, the grease had run out of the bearing so it rusted in place. Owner started the truck up, the bearing overheated, melted its way through the pulley, some of the plastic from the pulley got flung all over the place (I found a lot of it splattered on the battery and underside of the hood) and the rest was forced into the bearing proper. All was well, bearings now lubricated with ultra-high-temp plastic based lubricant, belt riding directly on the bearing shell. The truck was shut off and the plastic solidified inside the bearing, leaving it immobile. The next time the truck was started, the belt began polishing the bearing shell and stripped off the middle 3 ribs, which were flung all over the engine compartment and packed into the grooved pulleys. The remaining belt was less than 1/16" thick at the center and surprisingly, it sounded great. AC worked, power steering worked, everything was fine, no bad noises, the only reason I noticed it was the ring of plastic left from the pulley in the first pic. It waved in the breeze from the fan and caught my eye.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

It waved in the breeze from the fan and caught my eye.

"Hello there, what's... :stonk: oh honey, no. No no no."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I went from "I should tell the owner she needs a new serpentine belt real soon..." to "what's that hanging there... :wtf:" to "why am I still standing in the path of the belt with the engine running?" real quick.

I'm not sure if this counts as a horrible mechanical failure or a horrible car thing. I'm going to say both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCckXjUKoE&t=110s
Warning: watching this video may make you want to shag your sister.

e:
Ford 9" third member gives up the ghost.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 4, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fun with busted Mazda parts - throwout bearing failure that took the rest of the clutch with it, and even managed to start turning the fingers of the pressure plate blue:

Mazdaspeed3 passenger mount bukkake:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

kastein posted:

This drove to me for a thermostat replacement and a rear driveshaft ujoint. Owner had absolutely no idea there was a problem with it... '01 Chevy S10, 4.3 Vortec, 5-speed manual, 4x4.

It honestly never fails to amaze me how much poo poo a small block can take and continue to run.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The radiator was around half empty and the oil was at least two quarts low, too. Made the thermostat replacement quite easy, I didn't even have to drain the system and lost maybe a cup of coolant, which as usual missed the drain pan completely.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyIrsZ7Zhs

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
GST had a problem yesterday:

Apparently there was a fuel system failure, the car ran lean, blew a rod through the block, and that started an oil fire.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Looks like the round sling failed - you can see the fibers seperating as it tears. They are clearly rated and labelled, don't suffer from wear/fatigue, and damage is easily noticable when inspecting the outer jacket. Someone must really not want their job any more.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

"Previous owner said there was something up with the radiator."

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Sir Topham Hat was very cross.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

zundfolge posted:

Just like when you put all the gummy bears in a pan on the stove. Mmmmm.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

zundfolge posted:

What's up. All I see is a weird looking casting on the to... oh dear god. So I wonder what colour the engine was glowing to do that.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

zundfolge posted:

Volvo 2.3L Turbo?

Looks like the one in my old XC70 except the oil filler was on the other side (I think). That car tells you when coolant is even a bit low or anything else goes awry, so I have no idea how it got to that point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Holy crap I just realized you can still see the Volvo logo :stare:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are those plastic valve covers? How hot do they have to get before they melt like that?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Yes. On fire.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

zundfolge posted:

I thought maybe thats what the top of the engine looked like once you took the plastic cover off. Some cars have some ugly looking engines underneath all the plastic. But wow, it took me some time to figure out that the mess I was looking at WAS the plastic cover...

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
The oil filler cap held strong.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

I thought maybe thats what the top of the engine looked like once you took the plastic cover off. Some cars have some ugly looking engines underneath all the plastic. But wow, it took me some time to figure out that the mess I was looking at WAS the plastic cover...

Wait, that's what I'm seeing?! Holy poo poo :monocle:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Geirskogul posted:

Now lovingly shrink wrapped over the coils!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

It took me way too long to see it too, at first glance my thought was "oh look, some idiot found a way to jam an oil filler cap on the radiator" :downs:

Then I looked at it again and noticed the v vo and figured it out. :stonk:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Black88GTA posted:

It took me way too long to see it too, at first glance my thought was "oh look, some idiot found a way to jam an oil filler cap on the radiator" :downs:

That's exactly what I thought.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

rscott posted:

Are those plastic valve covers? How hot do they have to get before they melt like that?

Those whiteblock volvo's have an aluminum 'valve cover' (really the cam cover as it has half of the cam bearing on it). What melted is the plastic coil/sight cover.

Something like this ...

May favorite part is the dual ports for the oil filler cap so they could put it in whichever location was best depending on the vehicle ... or you could run 2!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzKill posted:

Those whiteblock volvo's have an aluminum 'valve cover' (really the cam cover as it has half of the cam bearing on it). What melted is the plastic coil/sight cover.

Something like this ...

May favorite part is the dual ports for the oil filler cap so they could put it in whichever location was best depending on the vehicle ... or you could run 2!

I always make sure to refill my oil equally from both sides.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've never seen one quite that bad, but I did have a Civic that overheated but "I shut it off right away so it's ok right???" that had the timing covers melted to the side of the engine.
I didn't notice until I tried to take them off and couldn't fit a socket over either of the top bolts. I then realized they were pretty much fused into a big mess and the engine was a few miles past hosed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

My uncles car. The oil light came on, so he stopped and checked the oil. The oil level was where it should be on the dipstick, so he drove on. About 15 minutes later the engine "made a sound like if you threw a brick and a fistful of gravel through a window". As the guy that gets called whenever he's got problems with his car, I took a quick look at it and there was no oil at all on the dipstick.

He's never owned a car with an automatic gearbox before and the dipstick he checked was for the gearbox. :downs:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Not to point out the obvious, but there probably wouldn't be any oil on the dipstick after throwing a rod through the block, even if there was oil before. That's pretty nasty.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

meatpotato posted:

Not to point out the obvious, but there probably wouldn't be any oil on the dipstick after throwing a rod through the block, even if there was oil before. That's pretty nasty.

I think it ran low/out so the oil light came on, he checked the wrong dipstick and then kept going.

With no oil, it threw a rod.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

meatpotato posted:

Yeah, I didn't start checking around until I saw the dry dipstick, and then I discoverd the hole. I'm just very impressed it made it so far without proper oil pressure.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My sister managed to do something like that once. Her oil light came on and she checked the dipstick - but she didn't wipe it first.

Somehow she made it home, but that engine was completely borked.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I discovered why my the auto in my housemate's car was shifting roughly similarly to that. I had to check the manual to see which dipstick was the trans, I couldn't tell which was which because the fluid on both was the same colour :barf: