Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

An Cat Dubh posted:

I've been sleeping with a pillow under my knee the past few nights and it seems to be helping with the hip pain, so thanks everyone for the suggestion. I'm at 20 weeks today and starting to get my first real craving: decaf gingerbread lattes and actually anything gingerbread related. I don't know if being pregnant during Christmastime is going to be the best or worst thing food wise.

The best! My daughter was born 1/11 and the holidays were full of lounging and eating delicious things. I regret nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

An Cat Dubh posted:

I've been sleeping with a pillow under my knee the past few nights and it seems to be helping with the hip pain, so thanks everyone for the suggestion. I'm at 20 weeks today and starting to get my first real craving: decaf gingerbread lattes and actually anything gingerbread related. I don't know if being pregnant during Christmastime is going to be the best or worst thing food wise.
Better than being pregnant during county fair season! Oh, the things I ate...

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2017

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I'm sorry I feel like this was mentioned recently, but I can't seem to find it. What are the best maternity bands to buy? My jeans were already a little snug in the waist before I got pregnant so I think I'll be needing them sooner rather than later. I'd prefer to buy online, especially on amazon if possible.

I bumped my next Drs. visit up a week because I've been so miserably sick, I just figured having another ultrasound and some reassurance would be good for me mentally. It was. :3:
Now that he was able to take a measurement he's been able to place my dates a bit better. 8 weeks now with a due date being June 21st. :woop:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

So when is cause for concern with the pains in my right side? Apologize for dwelling on it, but Sat even- Monday afternoonish I had some pains in my right and left lower abdomen. Then, they went away for a couple days and since yesterday late morning they are back with a vengeance! The pain is now only in my right lower abdomen, and man does it hurt! Very sharp, shooting pains-- sometimes when I move, sometimes when I roll over in bed, sometimes if I am just sitting there.

I don't have any bleeding or anything like that (and hoping it stays that way!)-- just wanted to know if I should be concerned about the sharp pains. I talked to my doctor about it (before the more sharp pains started yesterday of course) and she said that they wouldn't be concerned unless the pain didn't go away with rest and/or tylenol. I have been trying to rest as much as possible, but I haven't taken any tylenol yet.

So, any similar experiences? I can handle the pain if I only knew everything was going well in there, its only the pain combined with the unknown that is driving me crazy.

Also, is tylenol really safe to take in pregnancy?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious: Yay! Glad you were able to get a better date estimate! And as much as it sucks, being really sick is a good sign after having the bleeding. I hope things go smoother for you for the rest of the pregnancy. As for the belly bands I've got a Bella Band because it was what was available locally but it's kind of expensive. I've heard a lot of people say great things about the Target ones so you might look for that first.

sheri: If it's staying on one side it could be pain from a luteal cyst. It's the cyst that forms after you ovulate and produces all the hormones for the early part of the pregnancy before the placenta is able to take over. Sometimes they get quite large and cause a fair bit of pain. It could even be that AND round ligament pain. For me RLP is sharper and occurs when I move quickly and the ovarian cyst pain was more of a dull-to-sharp ache that occurred whether I was moving or not and a couple of times kept me up at night. There is some risk that the pain could be from an ectopic pregnancy but its much less likely without bleeding to go with it.

Tylenol is about as safe as it gets for pregnancy. There are multiple large studies showing no increased risk of birth defects when it's used in pregnancy and several that show a lower risk of certain birth defects when it's used to treat fever in pregnancy that when fevers go untreated (because fevers in pregnancy are bad). So yeah, try the Tylenol and call your doc if it doesn't help.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sheri posted:

So when is cause for concern with the pains in my right side? Apologize for dwelling on it, but Sat even- Monday afternoonish I had some pains in my right and left lower abdomen. Then, they went away for a couple days and since yesterday late morning they are back with a vengeance! The pain is now only in my right lower abdomen, and man does it hurt! Very sharp, shooting pains-- sometimes when I move, sometimes when I roll over in bed, sometimes if I am just sitting there.

I don't have any bleeding or anything like that (and hoping it stays that way!)-- just wanted to know if I should be concerned about the sharp pains. I talked to my doctor about it (before the more sharp pains started yesterday of course) and she said that they wouldn't be concerned unless the pain didn't go away with rest and/or tylenol. I have been trying to rest as much as possible, but I haven't taken any tylenol yet.

So, any similar experiences? I can handle the pain if I only knew everything was going well in there, its only the pain combined with the unknown that is driving me crazy.

If you are really worried you should call your doctor again, but I had a lot of shooting pains too - mainly on my left hand side - and it was just the ligaments stretching. Now (at 12 weeks) I don't get those so often but I get this other weird pain where if I move a certain way it feels as though someone has elbowed me in the stomach. It's not sore exactly, but that kind of surprised 'oof' feeling you get if someone pokes you unexpectedly. Pregnancy does lots of weird stuff to your body and most of it is completely normal. And after last time you are bound to be more concerned, I know I am even though so far everything seems fine.

I read somewhere that paracetamol is fine to take in pregnancy but ibuprofen should be avoided, not sure what the US versions of these are though.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Pretty sure paracetamol is Tylenol.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Greycious posted:

I'm sorry I feel like this was mentioned recently, but I can't seem to find it. What are the best maternity bands to buy? My jeans were already a little snug in the waist before I got pregnant so I think I'll be needing them sooner rather than later. I'd prefer to buy online, especially on amazon if possible.

I tried to go for the cheapest things (Target's Liz Lange stuff from the clearance rack) and these were my results. I wore the one pair of jeans almost every day for the last 4 months and they held up. The elastic wasn't in the greatest condition, but with a belly band, that was fine. The t-shirts that're paper-thin stretch out really easily and need to be machine-dried to shrink back. They still work. Mossimo Black long & lean solid-color tank tops worked through my entire pregnancy. I just used them as layering pieces as it got colder. The best deals were the dresses. They've held up really well and still look like new. Pregnancy nylons from Macy's Motherhood Maternity section didn't seem any different at all from my normal tights and were a total rip-off. I've heard the Assets brand maternity tights are better, if you like skirts and tights.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
For questions about medications, you should use safefetus.com (in consultation with your OB of course).

Here's the page on Tylenol: http://safefetus.com/search.php/index/details/DrugId/298/TradeName/Tylenol/TradeId/3307

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Chickalicious posted:

For questions about medications, you should use safefetus.com (in consultation with your OB of course).

Here's the page on Tylenol: http://safefetus.com/search.php/index/details/DrugId/298/TradeName/Tylenol/TradeId/3307

Also the lactmed app is awesome if you have a smart phone (didn't you recommend that to me?).

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Randomity posted:

Also the lactmed app is awesome if you have a smart phone (didn't you recommend that to me?).

I think so! I still use it sometimes even though Nate is a giant kid instead of a little baby. I was sure taking some sudafed was going to make my milk dry up in 6 hours. It did not, of course.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

I disagree. The site gives no idea of the real risk of the deformities it lists and doesn't link to the sources of information.

I think Motherisk and OTIS are both much better sources of information. And both list acetaminophen (Tylenol/paracetamol) as safe, with very minor caveats (for example, don't overdose on it...duh).

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen posted:

Greycious: Yay! Glad you were able to get a better date estimate! And as much as it sucks, being really sick is a good sign after having the bleeding. I hope things go smoother for you for the rest of the pregnancy. As for the belly bands I've got a Bella Band because it was what was available locally but it's kind of expensive. I've heard a lot of people say great things about the Target ones so you might look for that first.

I ended up breaking down and telling my mom. She's been really awesome and calm, level, and helping me along...Telling me she was super sick with her first too, which is reassuring. And most importantly keeping my secret from the rest of the family for now!

I was quite surprised at the prices on the Bella bands on amazon. I'll definitely try target first. Seems silly to spend a lot of money on what is just a stretchy loop of fabric.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Greycious posted:

I ended up breaking down and telling my mom. She's been really awesome and calm, level, and helping me along...Telling me she was super sick with her first too, which is reassuring. And most importantly keeping my secret from the rest of the family for now!

I was quite surprised at the prices on the Bella bands on amazon. I'll definitely try target first. Seems silly to spend a lot of money on what is just a stretchy loop of fabric.

Maternity stuff is expensive in general. I love my Bella band but it was a gift and I didn't have to pay for it. Kohls.com has some really good prices on jeans and leggings, Motherhood Maternity has sales with free shipping all the time, and I've had better luck shopping Liz Lange for Target online than in the stores. I love their long sleeved t shirts. For nicer stuff for work or formal events, A Pea In The Pod has really nice stuff but it isn't cheap in the slightest. Lots of stuff I want but I can't justify spending $150 on a dress I'll only be able to wear for a few months.

I'd put off shopping for maternity clothes but now I really need stuff; shopping sales I spent about $160 on a pair of jeans, a pair of leggings, a dress, maternity bra, sweater, and a pair of maternity compression tights.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
We went to the baby store and got one of the latest models:

Oh, lord, there's so much to re-learn.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
That's such a gorgeous baby!!!

:)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Maternity stuff
Wow, target.com has a lot. Thanks!

Andrias Scheuchzeri, very adorable, you picked a good one!

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

sheri posted:

So when is cause for concern with the pains in my right side?...

If it's on your right side it could be your gallbladder. Pregnancy can cause gallstones, it's fairly common. I started getting sharp, shooting pains my last month of pregnancy on my right side of my abdomen and rib cage. The doctors pretty much said the same thing, rest and tylenol and didn't really say what it was. Fast forward to 3 months later and I'm going in for surgery. If it's both sides I guess it's less likely to be your gallbladder, but it's just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Greycious posted:

I got some stuff at Target a couple of weeks ago and some Motherhood Maternity stuff at Macy's today. I found that the slightly more expensive shirts at Target (like this one) are higher quality and worth the extra $5 compared to the really cheap ones. The fabric is thicker and the ruching on the side is done much more nicely than their cheaper shirts if you are just looking for really basic tops.

My torso is so long that my normal shirts are barely long enough when I don't have any belly so putting off getting maternity tops wasn't really an option. On the plus side, there will really only be one season (winter) where I am while I'm pregnant, which makes me feel a bit less bad about spending the money on the maternity stuff.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

CravingSolace posted:

That's such a gorgeous baby!!!

:)

Greycious posted:

Andrias Scheuchzeri, very adorable, you picked a good one!

Thanks! He's doing very well. Good strong alert little guy. He spent his first day in the NICU getting some help clearing his lungs of fluid, but got moved down to our room pretty promptly and switched from formula to breastfeeding without much of a problem. But I definitely needed a couple of refresher meetings with the hospital's lactation consultants. And I felt just as clumsy with him the first two days as I did when my daughter was born. It doesn't all come back to you immediately. We all came home today and it's been one "oh, right, we need to do this" after another.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

We went to the baby store and got one of the latest models:

Oh, lord, there's so much to re-learn.

Congrats! You seem to have gotten the best baby from the store, he is adorable.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

If only I'd had as much luck buying diapers. Last night was all about realizing that this guy is shaped like Pampers and not Huggies. We stocked up on Huggies. Every single time he peed meant changing the diaper, the clothing, the swaddling blanket, and once or twice the sheet.

It's probably been said before in this very thread but if you're looking to bring home a new baby soon, you might want to buy small quantities of at least two sorts of diaper. And pilfer as many as the hospital will let you, if the ones they have there fit!

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
You can always try and exchange the diapers. I went to one Wal-mart and they were very strict about having a receipt even for an exchange. I went to another and they had not the slightest problem exchanging at all.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

sheri posted:

I had a good amount of pain in my hips and ligaments, too. By all means, take some Tylenol if it's bugging you. However, my main piece of advice to preggo ladies is try not to slow down your activity level too much, despite the aches and pains of pregnancy. You want to make sure you maintain your fitness level, because birth is a hell of a workout. The worst part of my postpartum recovery was my supersore arms, legs, and back. You know when you get on an "I'm going to get in shape" kick, and then REALLY overdo it at the gym? That was honestly worse than the 2 degree tears and the hemorrhoids. Water aerobics, prenatal yoga, or even just strolling around the neighborhood - doing something now will help you a lot later.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
So I got a letter from my OBs office this morning saying that they'd like me to repeat a urine a sample and drop it at my GP at my earliest convenience. What could that all be about? It said the results of the test suggested it should be repeated, and I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't know what they test for in urine.
When I was last at the OB and gave the sample, I came home later and developed mild symptoms of a UTI but I just drank a bunch of water and the symptoms went away.. could it just be that?

I'm trying not to freak out over it because if it was serious, surely they'd call me instead of sending me a letter a week later, but.. come on, man! Anyway, I'll drop off another sample at the GP tomorrow morning (they only take them in the morning and I didn't get the mail until just now), but hopefully one of you is more informed than I.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dandy Shrew posted:

So I got a letter from my OBs office this morning saying that they'd like me to repeat a urine a sample and drop it at my GP at my earliest convenience. What could that all be about? It said the results of the test suggested it should be repeated, and I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't know what they test for in urine.
When I was last at the OB and gave the sample, I came home later and developed mild symptoms of a UTI but I just drank a bunch of water and the symptoms went away.. could it just be that?

I'm trying not to freak out over it because if it was serious, surely they'd call me instead of sending me a letter a week later, but.. come on, man! Anyway, I'll drop off another sample at the GP tomorrow morning (they only take them in the morning and I didn't get the mail until just now), but hopefully one of you is more informed than I.

They test for bacteria (UTI), protein (blood pressure) and sugar (gestational diabetes). Are you giving sterile samples that are sent off to a lab or do they just test it in the office? If it's the former, they may be concerned about a UTI and want to test again, if not then they may suspect blood pressure issues or GD.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Schweig und tanze posted:

They test for bacteria (UTI), protein (blood pressure) and sugar (gestational diabetes). Are you giving sterile samples that are sent off to a lab or do they just test it in the office? If it's the former, they may be concerned about a UTI and want to test again, if not then they may suspect blood pressure issues or GD.

The former in this case, I think. She checked it with the strip and said everything was grand, but then I guess it got sent to the lab and I got a letter today. My blood pressure has been a bit borderline but they've been keeping an eye on that, and I do the glucose panel on December 7th. Thanks!

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I have a question about traveling.

There's a chance I might be flying home with my son to visit my family (mom is very excited as she hasn't met her grandson yet or seen me in a year). It's a long trip, from Arizona to Pennsylvania. I have a few questions/concerns.

I heard that I should bring a pacifier for him to help with his ears popping.

I believe someone said that I can give him some tylenol to help him stay relaxed.

But does it cost money to gate-check his car seat? Can I bring formula? Is it okay to change him on the plane?

I'm sorry if some of these have obvious answers, but I'm just feeling a bit nervous.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

CravingSolace posted:

There's a chance I might be flying home with my son to visit my family (mom is very excited as she hasn't met her grandson yet or seen me in a year). It's a long trip, from Arizona to Pennsylvania. I have a few questions/concerns.

I believe someone said that I can give him some tylenol to help him stay relaxed.

But does it cost money to gate-check his car seat? Can I bring formula? Is it okay to change him on the plane?

I'm sorry if some of these have obvious answers, but I'm just feeling a bit nervous.

You can bring formula. Check the airline's website for specific guidelines or the TSA website.

I wouldn't give Tylenol unless he's having pain - Tylenol doesn't just relax people.

Pacifiers and sucking will help with ears popping, yes.

Baby items are free to gate check or just luggage check on every airline we've flown. That would be in the airline's website as well.

Changing him in the bathroom can be tricky but doable. I found it easiest when sitting on the toilet seat with the baby on my lap.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Thank you! :)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Alternatively, if you don't have someone on either side of you (or if it's just window seat then aisle seat and he and his car seat are in the window seat), you can try changing him on your lap while in your seat. I ended up doing this because my son was squirming, squalling, and thoroughly filthy already and I didn't trust my ability to get him back to the bathroom while carrying a diaper bag and not accidentally touch any other passenger. Of course, if you have anyone next to you that is not likely an option :v:

(If you're not paying for the tickets, it may be worth a try to ask if the person who is can pay for a seat for your son as well; obviously, they might not be able to do so, or if you're paying for them you might not be able to do so, but it's safer, means you can have your hands free during the flight, and of course guarantees that you won't have a random passenger on at least one side of you...)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

I've traveled with my baby pretty often this year, and it's not so bad. We've got one more trip squeezed in this year, too. It takes some thinking ahead, but try not to stress out. You want to pack light, but make sure you have a full change of clothes for both of you in your carry on. Try to change the diaper right before you get on the plane, and hopefully you'll only have to do one in-flight diaper change. Sucking helps them pop their ears; I always try to nurse on take offs and descents, and then cross my fingers that he falls asleep after take off. I wouldn't recommend the Tylenol; that sounds over-the-top nutty to me. A good baby carrier is super-handy for airports and for travelling in general. (You want a nice one like an Ergo/Beco/Boba, not a lovely Bjorn.) Keeping a baby happy on the plane is a combination of timing, luck, and your baby's personality, but having a good attitude and keeping calm can sure help a lot.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I haven't posted in here for a very long time, but maybe there are some of the same people hanging around in here. Last time I posted my son had just recently been born (03/10) so I just wanted to share how much he has grown!

Day One:

Today:

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I love his hair!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Well, I did call my doctor and I went in and talked about the pain with him. Couldn't find a reason for the pain, other than he found a pocket of fluid somewhere (outside of uterus) that he said could have been the leftover result of a cyst rupturing, so that may have been the cause of my pain. Said nothing to be concerned with at all with respect to that.

On the plus side, while using the portable ultrasound machine to look at things, baby apparently looks really good and I got to see the little guy shimmying about. Super cute. :)

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

CravingSolace posted:

The flight attendants are super nice. I haul my kid all over the place, and if you ask nicely and the plane isn't full, they'll often move people so that you have a spare seat next to you. They'll give you a full on talking to when you get on the plane, as far as where the changetables are, what to do with poopy diapers, etc. When my son switched over to milk, they were always offering to fill bottles and such.

Do whatever you can to avoid layovers. I find those the worst part of travelling, at least once they're old enough to start crawling.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Mother carted away in the ambulance to the psych ward just then.
Been strange for the last week, threatening to kick me out the other day.
She got a script from the hospital before, but they ran out on Monday, I think that was the night she tried to kick me out.
Was strange since then otherwise, but it comes and goes. I've been doing some feeds with formula some nights and days to try get her to relax.
She seemed worse yesterday than today, today went alright, but then she just flipped out saying she was dying, couldn't breathe, needed resusitation, tearing at me, falling out of bed etc.
So I had to call the ambulance. Of course I have to stay here.
If I don't reply it's because I've got to take care of the baby myself for a while now.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

ChloroformSeduction posted:

The flight attendants are super nice. I haul my kid all over the place, and if you ask nicely and the plane isn't full, they'll often move people so that you have a spare seat next to you. They'll give you a full on talking to when you get on the plane, as far as where the changetables are, what to do with poopy diapers, etc. When my son switched over to milk, they were always offering to fill bottles and such.

This has never been my experience. A lot of flight attendants have been really rude. They never told me about changing tables or poopy diapers. They did tell me how to hold the baby in case of a crash landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Mother carted away in the ambulance to the psych ward just then.
Been strange for the last week, threatening to kick me out the other day.
She got a script from the hospital before, but they ran out on Monday, I think that was the night she tried to kick me out.
Was strange since then otherwise, but it comes and goes. I've been doing some feeds with formula some nights and days to try get her to relax.
She seemed worse yesterday than today, today went alright, but then she just flipped out saying she was dying, couldn't breathe, needed resusitation, tearing at me, falling out of bed etc.
So I had to call the ambulance. Of course I have to stay here.
If I don't reply it's because I've got to take care of the baby myself for a while now.

Jesus, man, good luck. :ohdear: Can any family help you out?