Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suben posted:

Honestly if you were a kid watching WCW during Luger's run against the nWo and you DIDN'T rack friends/brothers/cousins/whoever you could I dare say you were a Bad Wrestling Fan. :colbert:

Or an nWo fan.

TOOOOOO SWEEEEEEET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Luger was way over. People who aren't wrestling fans but watched it sporadically during the Monday Night Wars still remember Luger, and are more likely to know who Luger is than Orton, or even Cena. Maybe not in the US or Canada though, I meant globally.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So... so the Total Package is a bigger global phenomenon than Cenamania?

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
People who don't know the WWF changed to the WWE are more likely to know who Luger is, or was, than Cena. And that's a lot of people, worldwide. It's just because everyone loved wrestling in the late 90s, it was considered cool.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rad R. posted:

Luger was way over. People who aren't wrestling fans but watched it sporadically during the Monday Night Wars still remember Luger, and are more likely to know who Luger is than Orton, or even Cena. Maybe not in the US or Canada though, I meant globally.

This isn't an argument for why Luger was over paid compared to how much money he brought in, right?

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
No, no, definitely not. I was speaking in pop culture terms. The average human knows who Hogan is, they connect his name to wrestling. Luger was a top star during wrestling's biggest boom period, he has that in his favor.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Luger was one of those guys I only really got excited about if he was facing someone I really hated like Hollywood Hogan or Yokozuna. Outside of that he was the guy that played second fiddle to guys like Sting in WCW or Bret Hart in the WWF.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fascinating, seemed like Dave knew about the Luger discussions, but heard they broke down.Then Vader got into a fight (and lost) to Mr Wonderful thus allowed them to free up the cash. That, coupled with how WWF were pushing Luger meant it was a surprise he was working without a contract and could easily turn up on Nitro.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is it alright if we blame Nash for some of the WCW failing? Apparently the poke of death was partly his idea & his booking. In interviews he seems rather proud of himself for trolling people along with wasting their time and wrestling dollar.

Not to mention that he was part of the kilq back in WWE, which most people (like Bam Bam) seem to consider as a bunch of poo poo heads who ruined a lot of people.

I don't personally hate the guy (he's just boring and samey, but looks cool and female fans like him), but it seems like he made some good but at the same time some really poo poo decisions during his career.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Nash definitely had a part in the rise and fall of WCW.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nash definitely shoulders some of the blame- he kept himself and his buddies near the top of the card for a long time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
According to a Nash Shoot it was the dot com bubble exploding that caused wcw to die.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

According to a Nash Shoot it was the dot com bubble exploding that caused wcw to die.

Partially true, although WCW losing money hand over fist didn't really make themselves safe from being shut down. If WCW had been making money then they would probably have never been cancelled.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

Partially true, although WCW losing money hand over fist didn't really make themselves safe from being shut down. If WCW had been making money then they would probably have never been cancelled.

Exactly. Also, his NBA example is garbage because NBA draws way better sponsors than WCW.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i need my davequotes :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
From the 9-11-1995 Observer:

Dave must really hate Lex Luger.

quote:

Luger's string of earning big money either from guaranteed contracts or incredible main event pushes based more on perceived potential than any track record appeared to have run out when he and Davey Boy Smith were made into a tag team in WWF, originally groomed to capture the WWF tag title, but since the team failed to get over in the slightest, plans again were changed and Smith didn't even do his major turn on Luger for fear it would hold Smith back as a potential top heel to turn on someone that the fans didn't care about... The contract carried over into pro wrestling when the WBF folded, where Luger first failed to get over as the heel The Narcissist, then after a face turn and one of the biggest pushes in the history of the business, failed to get over as a face and the plans of building the company's future around him were abandoned.

quote:

With the exception of a brief period in 1988 when he turned face for the first time and worked with Flair and Anderson at house shows, Luger has never in his career shown any real drawing power either as a face or as a heel despite an almost incredible number of chances. In fact, going back to the late 1991/early 1992 period when he was a heel world champion in WCW, WCW gates actually markedly increased on shows that Luger, the group's world champion, didn't appear in comparison to shows that he did because when he didn't appear, it pushed the then far more effective Rick Rude to the focal point of the house shows.

quote:

The debut of Nitro before an estimated 2,000 fans at the Mall of America in Minneapolis was overall a huge success as far as making a mark the first night out. There were the requisite first-time problems, the most obvious of which was the announcing. Bobby Heenan was better than he's been on recent Saturday and PPV shows, but his gimmick is predictable old hat today. Bischoff can't call a match and both were world's better than Steve McMichael, who came off as obnoxious and clueless at the same time, which is not the best combination for someone playing a babyface role. All three appeared to go into the show unprepared, so with preparation they could improve, but McMichael didn't appear to have any potential in the role as he's a natural heel, is not quick-witted enough for his role, doesn't speak well and most importantly, is in no way a big enough celebrity that he's means squat when it comes to ratings. The sooner they drop him the better and it isn't going to be sooner.

quote:

Norton showed up out of nowhere and his name was never even mentioned until after the angle was over. Norton went face-to-face with McMichael who nearly succeeded in killing the entire angle Ed Whalen style by laughing at someone who is supposed to be a killer heel. Savage showed up to save the day in more ways than one, and after a commercial break they announced the match had been signed for next week.

quote:

Mike Rotunda then did an interview, doing what appeared to be a Million Dollar Man knockoff as Michael Wallstreet (the role he used briefly before going to WWF as IRS), making a few knocks at the WWF saying the New Generation is the Few Generation and that he's sure the IRS will be watching him.

This has to be some sort of a misprint from the tapings results

quote:

Also at the taping, in a re-tape of a match at the 8/21 taping, Cobra again hid under the ring but this time didn't jump Craig Pittman before the bell. Match only went 2:00 with Cobra winning with a flying cobra.

quote:

Twice during the show they were supposed to have a Sting vs. Johnny B. Badd U.S. title match but both times ref Nick Patrick came out and told ring announcer Dave Penzer that Badd hadn't arrived. I believe they are doing an angle that either Badd was jumped or Badd's car was gimmicked as to why he didn't appear as Badd was rubbing dirt on his face for the interview for this show backstage.

quote:

American Males, called Marcus Bagwell & Scotty Riggs (formerly Scott Studd in Georgia and Memphis, real name Scott Anton), beat the Barrio Brothers (Ricky Santana & Dave Sierra, billed as Ricky & Fidel) in a good match.

And if you want to read the full story of Paul Orndorff beating up Vader, go subscribe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Super Barrio brothers?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Golden Bee posted:

Super Barrio brothers?

They pretended to be Mexican but turned out to be Cuban... or something. It was Fidel Sierra and someone else I forget.

In other news, the Hall of Fame issue just came out so that means Dave is responding to trolls on THE BOARD with history lessons.

quote:

Sting and Cena aren't analogous.

Sting is a guy who was protected and was a star in wrestling for 13 years in WCW. He was the top guy in the No. 5 or so promotion in the worldfor six months in 1990, and at times in 1992, when the company fell to embarrasing levels. DeNucci was No. 1 for the No. 1 promotion in the world for two years and not in (Sting was a much bigger star longer and DeNucci went to WWF as a midcarder). Johnny Weaver was No. 1 in a successful promotion, not quite No. 5 in the world but probably top ten, for a decade straight and he's not considered.

Sting was part of the mix as one of the top guys for most of 1988 to 2001, but "part of the mix" guys aren't usually in the Hall of Fame unless they were either super draws or super workers. When WCW was the No. 1 promotion in the world, 1997 and the first few months of 1998, he was one of the key guys. Really the best analogy to him would be Vampiro, who is also not in, but was on fire for a few years in a super hot company, and a career main eventer for a long time in companies that did so-so for lots of years. Sting was a better wrestler, but Vampiro was far more over to the point you can't even compare. Vampiro had the better nostalgia run. Sting was way less of a head case. Vampiro wasn't a top guy in WCW and Sting never went anywhere so there is no comparison except All Japan (where he ranked below Dan Spivey) and New Japan (where he was protected and a star, but never close to guys like Road Warriors,Steiners level).

Cena has been the top guy in the world for years. The biggest star in the entire world for many years should be a no-brainer, particularly when backed up by success. Cena is not the star like Hogan, Austin, Rock, Londos, Lewis, Bruno, guys who were real cultural figures because wrestilng isn't as popular. But he's still the biggest draw in the world and has been for years, not just a 1-2 year run. He's a bigger draw than all but your top tier guys historically. Sting isn't among the top 100 draws in history. Cena sold massive merch and he's a low level mainstream celeb, did a money making movie (and bombed in others) while Sting wasn't any kind of a celeb outside of wrestling. Sting was always a huge disappointment with merch. I remember at the end of 1993, when Zane Bresloff left WWF to come to WCW as their house show promoter and we got all the business stats and were going over them, when we went through Sting's merch, his remark was, "Wow, all that stuff about Little Stingers (copied from Hogan), they don't exist."

When WCW was doing terrible for years, the program that turned around PPV business was Hogan vs. Flair, Hogan vs. Vader, Hogan vs. Savage, Hogan vs. Piper. House show program turnaround was Flair vs. Savage since Hogan wouldn't work a house show schedule. Sting was in none of the key turnaround programs. Granted, one Hogan vs. Sting match was the biggest number they ever did and the year build was strong, but Sting never drew close to what Goldberg drew.

Over the long haul, Hogan vs. Flair drew from 1994 to 1999 over and over and Hogan vs. Sting was great the first time, way down but good the second time, and dead after that. In 1999, Hogan vs. Flair did 450 and 275, Hogan vs. Sting did around 100 and Hogan vs. Flair had been done a million times in two companies before 1999. And Sting vs. Hogan at Starrcade was real big, but if that gets him in Hall of fame, then Zbyszko, Orndorff, Tolos, Leone, Morales and Batista, all of who set record for one match, have to also go in.

Sting is borderline. There is an argument for him.

As far as if he went to WWE, it is an interesting discussion but that doesn't make you a Hall of Famer. A lot of guys if they played for a different team may have had different careers. When people argue a guy who doesn't have the stats to get in, well, if he was QB for the 49ers under Walsh, his stats would have been better. Maybe, who knows. There's no guarantee Sting would have been a big star in WWE. He'd have been outed as not knowing how to work if he came past 1998 when HHH & Shawn had influence, and buried because of age soon after. In the 90s, who knows how he'd have done. Maybe he'd have gotten a shot, not drawn, and been a disappointment like the Road Warriors (who were tons bigger than Sting ever was before they went to WWF and did okay in WWF, but were hardly close to what they were in WCW), Steiners, Windham, Goldberg, Arn & Tully, Dusty to a degree,and countless others who were great in WCW and didn't do close to as well in WWF. Sting would have had it harder because more than any except Flair and Dusty, he'd have that WCW rep tag on him and those guys usually were brought in with the mentality "they weren't really that good" coming in, which is hard to overcome.

It's also possible he'd have done well in WWF, but Goldberg is the best comparison and he was sabotaged because Rock was the only guy who wanted him in and then Rock left. By the way, if Rock had have stayed, he would have for sure pushed for Sting and protected him for as long as they did their program, but without him, I'm positive Sting would have been brought in to prove he wasn't good. There is a reason Sting never came in and part of it was he was never offered Goldberg money or Lesnar money because Vince didn't see him at that level, and just that alone wouldn't be a good start.

The funny thing is Dave has been more positive on Sting in the HoF than he has been in recent years. There was also this in a Big Daddy thread...

quote:

Autism?

Take a deep breath. Maybe you should take 24 hours off the board before you start running your own head into brick walls. Not doing yourself any good.

I wonder if baseball people were this insane about Roger Maris. But HE HIT 61 HOME RUNS. Yeah, but didn't do much else. BUT HE HIT 61 HOME RUNS AND I LIKED HIM AS A KID. THEY MADE A MOVIE ABOUT HIM. ALL THOSE MICKEY MANTLE FANS ARE JEALOUS BECAUSE HE GOT TO THE RECORD FIRST.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave'd.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I totally agree on the Sting count, but this:

quote:

Cena has been the top guy in the world for years. The biggest star in the entire world for many years should be a no-brainer, particularly when backed up by success. Cena is not the star like Hogan, Austin, Rock, Londos, Lewis, Bruno, guys who were real cultural figures because wrestilng isn't as popular. But he's still the biggest draw in the world and has been for years, not just a 1-2 year run. He's a bigger draw than all but your top tier guys historically.

is bullshit. Wrestling isn't as popular anymore because Cena is poo poo and his continued presence as the superman of wrestling who all shall kneel down in front of is what has driven us to the point of mediocrity that we're at. If he had even half the charisma of a Hogan, Rock or Austin he'd have been a meteoric star by now with the push that he's had.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I wonder how Meltzer ever survives being in the same room with other people and not get punched in the face. He always seems like the sort of guy random people on the street would look at and try to run his head through a window.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Saul Goode posted:

Wrestling isn't as popular anymore because Cena is poo poo

This is not supported by any data.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bocc Kob posted:

I wonder how Meltzer ever survives being in the same room with other people and not get punched in the face. He always seems like the sort of guy random people on the street would look at and try to run his head through a window.

People don't gently caress with Dave because Dave is jacked as hell. Abs.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is not supported by any data.

He's the "biggest draw in the world" and the world doesn't care about wrestling anymore, that's all the data I need. Wrestling will never go into a boom period with John Cena as the marquee name, just like it never went into a boom period with Bret Hart as the man. It's not a cyclical business because fans mysteriously come and go, it's cyclical because we go through long periods of having lovely 'draws' getting shoved down our throats to the exclusion of guys who could genuinely bring about a resurgence in wrestling's popularity.

I really can't believe how someone as smart about the industry as Meltzer could argue that Cena isn't at the level of Steve Austin because of his environment and not for the simple fact that super babyface Cena is a horribly unappealing main eventer.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I can believe it pretty easily. :smug:

Meltzer's just a wrestle-sperg with some inside contacts. He accumulates piles of statistics and obsesses over them, but that doesn't make him particularly insightful. If he had popped up nowadays, he'd probably be ridiculed or ignored like a lot of other nuts on the internet.

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 12, 2012

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it was UFC and the internet that helped kill the wrestling industry. Cena killed my interest in wrestling for a decade, but I wouldn't blame him for taking the sport out of the public eye.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

I wouldn't say that Cena killed wrestling, but it's his job as The Guy to carry the company, and he's doing a lovely job.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Saul Goode posted:

He's the "biggest draw in the world" and the world doesn't care about wrestling anymore, that's all the data I need.

That's a post hoc fallacy. You're discounting a lot of other variables, from the overall quality of WWE's content, to Cena being booked similar to Hogan in a climate where that doesn't work as well, to UFC as a competitor, etc. It's not just that "wrestling is cyclical", it's that there are a bunch of factors in WWE not being as big as it was and it's foolish to pin it all on one guy.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Saul Goode posted:

He's the "biggest draw in the world" and the world doesn't care about wrestling anymore, that's all the data I need. Wrestling will never go into a boom period with John Cena as the marquee name, just like it never went into a boom period with Bret Hart as the man. It's not a cyclical business because fans mysteriously come and go, it's cyclical because we go through long periods of having lovely 'draws' getting shoved down our throats to the exclusion of guys who could genuinely bring about a resurgence in wrestling's popularity.

Bret Hart was like, the worst example you could have used.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shawn Michaels?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Diesel.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

I think it was UFC and the internet that helped kill the wrestling industry. Cena killed my interest in wrestling for a decade, but I wouldn't blame him for taking the sport out of the public eye.

I think the Attitude Era killed wrestling. Basically - something happened every week, and when things are no longer happening and everything remains status quo like it is now, no one cares.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't like Cena either, but the explosion of MMA and the precipitous decline of wrestling TV quality do not have a lot to do with Cena.

Citing Sting as not being as big of a movie draw because Cena happens to have been in a lot of flops is certainly an observation, albeit one that means nothing in a wrestling hall of fame conversation.

I also get the feeling that Dave thinks Cena is a better worker, or is roughly equivalent. I haven't seen that many Sting matches, but that isn't saying much for Sting, certainly, when Cena has had a small handful of must-see matches in seven years.

Cena is top draw in an era where wrestling doesn't really draw and the stuff that does draw is paved over after a month. There's a lot of stuff that has happened that was worth a lot more money than what WWE made off it.

If Sting becomes an HOFer, it should be because any story of WCW is incomplete if you don't talk about Sting.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 12, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Cena argument is hard, because it could go two ways:

1) Wrestling is not popular right now because of Cena

2) If wrestling didn't have Cena it would be even less popular than it is.

Personally I don't think Cena is the real issue. What really is bringing wrestling down is the stale, horrible creative direction. Cena is the focal point of this, and I think he's only as popular as he is because he has talent & charisma to get past the booking.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

The Cena argument is hard, because it could go two ways:

1) Wrestling is not popular right now because of Cena

2) If wrestling didn't have Cena it would be even less popular than it is.

Personally I don't think Cena is the real issue. What really is bringing wrestling down is the stale, horrible creative direction. Cena is the focal point of this, and I think he's only as popular as he is because he has talent & charisma to get past the booking.

Ding ding ding. Stephanie has ruined creative.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
While it's true I wouldn't watch a WWE show regardless of whether Cena was on it or not, I also wouldn't watch Cena doing anything if the show were theoretically good. And I was willing to watch WCW when it was at maximum Russo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wanna know just how much Russo was involved in getting the world title onto Booker T. I think that was his real lasting contribution to WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

I really can't believe how someone as smart about the industry as Meltzer could argue that Cena isn't at the level of Steve Austin because of his environment and not for the simple fact that super babyface Cena is a horribly unappealing main eventer.

Because at times he's been able to draw to that level. He can't sustain it, but his peaks have been incredibly high. A year ago I was pretty down on Cena as a draw, I thought he wasn't a sure-fire first ballot Hall of Famer because WWE had been in such a decline, but things have stabilized or ticked up and he's added another gigantic main event to his resume.

A horribly unappealing main eventer would not do the most buys in the history of wrestling against the Rock. He just wouldn't. The Rock is extra business on his own, but if you threw main eventer X in there it wouldn't have been record level high. This isn't his first million buy PPV either. You add that to the ungodly amount of merchandise the guy moves and well, he's a giant star. Without John Cena wrestling would be in bad shape today. Certain indicators look like 1993 or 1994, but today isn't those years, WWE is making a lot of money they are all over TV and the business has changed. John Cena is a big reason for that.

He's not Steve Austin, he's not Hulk Hogan and he's not the Rock. But he's well above Bret Hart, HBK or any other American star in the PPV era. That is a huge statement, he's the fourth biggest star of the last three decades. If business kept declining in the last year I'd feel a lot differently, but things have improved in certain ways and Cena has been a part of that.

If you put him in a different creative environment, he would be bigger. The guy is just so loving charismatic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The last time wrestling had a ton of attention was last year after CM Punk's kayfabe shoot. Cena didn't book that angle (which was red hot), and he certainly didn't book the Kevin Nash Texting storyline (that ended in an utterly unwatchable match). Austin vs. Nexus sounds awesome... but even he couldn't have saved what it became.

"Gimme me a beer, Heath, I'm breaking Nexus up FROM THE INSIDE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Saul Goode posted:

He's the "biggest draw in the world" and the world doesn't care about wrestling anymore, that's all the data I need.

Correlation, causation, etc.