Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone sacrifice a virgin in a Star Wars tshirt to the dark gods and sign Guillermo del Toro to direct all three, that dude knows his pulp and loves puppets and would kick so much rear end I'd be optimistic as gently caress about this.

Eh. I'd rather he do his own thing over anything else. Besides there's stuff like another Hellboy or Dr. Strange I'd rather he do over Star Wars. I think Wars can get by with another director.

Let's throw out Gore Verbinski, I think he can handle fun poo poo like on Pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd at least want Del Toro's puppet team working on Star Wars.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

No. Pirates of the Caribbean was their chance to make a good Monkey Island and they hosed that up.

http://grumpygamer.com/8123463

By all means, though, make LOOM Legacy. I've only been waiting since I was 6 for the sequels. I actually think TellTale has the LOOM license currently.

Edit:

microwave casserole posted:

I thought I wasn't excited about this, but the mere suggestion of old Luke being like Obi-Wan gave me involuntary nerdboner.

I'd be very, very ok with a further expansion on Obi-Wan becoming the Crazy Hermit of the Dunes while watching Luke grow up in the moisture farm life style and screw around with Darklighter. With Ewan McGregor, of course. Easily the best reason to see any of the prequels.

Armani fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 10, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Time to knock my anticipation down a notch thanks to ol' Middle of the Road Michael Arndt

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone sacrifice a virgin in a Star Wars tshirt to the dark gods and sign Guillermo del Toro to direct all three, that dude knows his pulp and loves puppets and would kick so much rear end I'd be optimistic as gently caress about this.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/the-hobbit-peter-jackson-warner-bros-1-billion-79301?page=show

quote:

Jackson had suffered a setback when his passion project The Lovely Bones opened in December 2009 to weak reviews and disappointing box office (it grossed $94 million worldwide). But if there's one message that Jackson and his team want to convey, it's that del Toro left on his own -- without a push from Jackson. "Eventually, he couldn't wait around anymore," says Jackson. "We got to the point that it was six months past when we should've originally started shooting."
Some close to del Toro suspect the story was a bit more complicated than that. "Do I think Peter wanted to take over The Hobbit? No," says one insider. "But he was going to be involved one way or the other, and as an artist, Guillermo wanted to make his version of the movie. I think he wondered: 'How much of an imprint can I put on this? … Do I want to spend years of my life being caretaker of someone else's franchise?'

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

The Blackest Goon posted:

so anyway you guys im looking at these star wars clone wars ('03) clips and FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A07WNupEXk

I'd love to see force powers be this OP in the new films. It's always been a bit too subtle for my taste.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jedi shouldn't be overpowered superheroes. That's a very silly idea that betrays the spirit of the OT.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Shodai posted:

I'd love to see force powers be this OP in the new films. It's always been a bit too subtle for my taste.

You're part of the problem. The Force is a mystical energy that gives insight when you're calm, not some fireball slinging garbage that lets you leap several stories. It was so interesting originally because it was so mysterious. The prequels ruined the Force and as much as I think Genndy Tartakovsky is a good animation director, his version of the Force was even worse.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Friendly Factory posted:

You're part of the problem. The Force is a mystical energy that gives insight when you're calm, not some fireball slinging garbage that lets you leap several stories. It was so interesting originally because it was so mysterious. The prequels ruined the Force and as much as I think Genndy Tartakovsky is a good animation director, his version of the Force was even worse.

On the other hand.

I think it could be done right. If it isn't overdone.

See, the prequels had the Jedi all being mystic warriors. The OT never really had an experienced light side Jedi use the full extent of their powers. I think the cartoon made the right choice with actually running with that and showing a Jedi whose on the light side and whose entire job description is fighting evil as a force to be reckoned with - and, even better, it showed restraint and only showed a Jedi able to use that kind of power once, when it was appropriate. Remember, they couldn't really change the prequel's awful plot or characters, they had to work with what they had and ignore what didn't work.

I know that the prequels have soured things. I know that having Yoda fight was a stupid idea and just as bad as having every Jedi be a swordwielding knight. I do believe the light side should only be used for defense. But I think there should be diversity between Jedi roles. Yoda is a spirit guide. He does not only not fight, but he does not need to, he could probably find an extreme nonviolent solution to a threat using a more powerful version of the mind trick. But when an experienced combat-trained Jedi is out of all other options - and only then - they can show great power. Without weapons and hopping around like they're on crack. The dark side Jedi certainly could.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Friendly Factory posted:

Clone Wars is full of references to medieval artwork, cave paintings and so-forth. It's stylized and symbolic, whereas the actual prequel films are about a stiflingly literalistic hyperreality. The original films exist somewhere in the middle, between those two extremes - though much closer to what Tartakovsky is doing.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

A problem...from your perspective.

It's one thing to go Super Saiyan, quite another to take a page from Akira. Tetsuo-like psychic powers here and there would be pretty captivating.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Shodai posted:

A problem...from your perspective.

It's one thing to go Super Saiyan, quite another to take a page from Akira. Tetsuo-like psychic powers here and there would be pretty captivating.

Akira and the original Star Wars are on completely different thematic levels. There's growing a brand and then there's making something completely different from your established universe (i.e. the prequels). Akira and Star Wars are good for different reasons. I know you trotted out the old "it's just your opinion" thing and fine, so it is. But it's completely understandable to not want something to actively piss all over an established piece of fiction. All those great quotes from Yoda in ESB were ruined by the prequels and making the Jedi into an army of supermen betrays this further.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Friendly Factory posted:

Akira and the original Star Wars are on completely different thematic levels. There's growing a brand and then th ere's making something completely different from your established universe (i.e. the prequels). Akira and Star Wars are good for different reasons. I know you trotted out the old "it's just your opinion" thing and fine, so it is. But it's completely understandable to not want something to actively piss all over an established piece of fiction. All those great quotes from Yoda in ESB were ruined by the prequels and making the Jedi into an army of supermen betrays this further.

They're not ruined by the prequels. Ruination is a condition of the mind. We can look at this in the context of the prequels as Yoda being a hypocrite or idiot, which is what probably causes you to feel a sense of ruination, but we can also look at it as Yoda learning from the mistakes of the past and redirecting Luke towards a better path than the one the Jedi previously followed.

That being said, I don't think grandiose portrayals of the Force mesh well with the style of the OT, so confining it to deliberately stylized works like Clone Wars is probably better in the end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's nothing necessarily wrong with making the Jedi into Goku (and pardon my glibness here, but I love comparing things to Goku) depending on the particular thematic content of the work they're featured in. The problem is more that the Force became a background object rather than a narrative tool in the prequels.

Let's take one of the more obvious uses of the Force in The Empire Strikes Back: Vader and Luke's duel. At the midpoint, Vader picks up a bunch of miscellaneous objects and hurls them at Luke. This is meant to establish two key points for the scene:

1) Vader is considerably more powerful than Luke, and Luke's attempt to duel him is, ultimately, hubris. This serves as a counter to earlier in the duel where Luke actually seems to gain the upper hand at several points, or, at the very least, hold his own.

2) Vader is deliberately toying with Luke. He doesn't want to kill him, even though there are clearly points where he's hucking garbage at Luke where slipping a lightsaber in would be easy. This is interesting, since we've previously only seen Vader as a merciless executor of the Emperor's will, gladly choking the life out of anyone who so much as fails him. It helps to set up the eventual "father" revelation.

Obi Wan in the original movies uses his Force manipulation to show that he's long since past the point of being the "great warrior" Luke believes him to be, preferring subtlety and guile over hitting people with a lightsaber (which makes his eventual sacrifice more believable). The Emperor shoots lightning out of his hands to emphasize his limitless cruelty and malice. Luke frequently uses the Force to grab his lightsaber, as it's very clear that, for a great deal of the films, he considers "Jedi" and "warrior" to be synonymous. The Force, in this case, is an extension of the person using it.

At the opening of The Phantom Menace, meanwhile, Qui-Gon Jinn thrusts his hand forwards and - bwoomph! - some battle droids go flying backwards. Neat! This has jack diddly to do with who Qui-Gon is (a peaceful, heterodox diplomat), but it has everything to do with what a "Jedi" is in the tactically realistic world of the prequels. Yoda and Count Dooku fight and - cracko! - his fingertips flare with dark Sith lightning. Again: What the gently caress does this have to do with Count Dooku? He's not shown to be a particularly cruel or maleficent individual - in fact, he's downright genial. He shoots lightning because, again, it's tactically realistic that a Sith would know how to shoot lightning from his fingertips. The powers don't serve as extensions of the people as much anymore, aside from the obvious implications that certain powers are "bad" (like shooting lightning). They serve only as special effect receptacles, which is why they tend to feel far more like anime superpowers than the magical abilities of the original series.

Generally, good works that feature supernatural powers are cognizant of the fact that these special powers are merely extensions of the person wielding them. The prequels don't "ruin" the Force because people can shoot lightning and push everyone around or whatever (and, in fact, it would be quite natural to expect this in a series of films about a massive war). Rather, the Force simply becomes another accessory, like the lightsaber or a Jedi's robes, devoid of any kind of thematic meaning beyond merely being expected.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 11, 2012

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Effectronica posted:

They're not ruined by the prequels. Ruination is a condition of the mind.

We're not having an existential debate, we're talking about whether it's proper to have something which blatantly contradicts the themes of a much better written previous work. Obviously you think that's kosher, but I think it's a death knell for a franchise unless you're doing a whole reboot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The themes of a film ought to be able to stand on their own merits rather than being forced to reference another work that happens to take place in the same "universe."

Even if they did desire to keep things thematically consistent, there's nothing that says they can't give everyone amazing superpowers like jumping around everywhere and shooting lightning. It would have made the Jedi more interesting, since they're now using this supposedly peaceful, transcendental power to straight-up murder dudes, with the Jedi becoming human weapons or whatever.

Again, though, these potential ideas are never touched on, and the superpowers are simply "there." They're as natural as Cyclops' eye beams. Where the previous films had used the Force as a method of extrapolating on character motivations, the prequels use them to blow poo poo up in a spectacular manner without thematic backing.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd at least want Del Toro's puppet team working on Star Wars.

This would be the only acceptable way to make another Star Wars movie.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Friendly Factory posted:

All those great quotes from Yoda in ESB were ruined by the prequels and making the Jedi into an army of supermen betrays this further.

I actually kind of like the idea that by the time Luke gets to Dagobah Yoda's pretty much just gone stir crazy from living alone in a swamp for however many years. What used to be relatively scientific ("His midichlorians are off the charts!"[???]) has been replaced by the pseudo-mystical ramblings of an old coot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tadashi posted:

This would be the only acceptable way to make another Star Wars movie.

I was thinking the same thing. Puppet team sounds perfect really.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
It's amazing this show managed to last as long as it did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjHN4MiJDdc

EDIT: There is a character in this show, who is literally just a super saiyan version of a pre-existing character

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 11, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The best part is that Darth Maul is actually in the show as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Yoda being shown to be a duplicitous schemer trying to fix the results of being blindsided his own hubris actually made Yoda more interesting than the cipher he was in Empire.

"You wanna be a Jedi? Sure, lift some rocks. Oh, and as a final test, fix everything that I screwed up. Have fun stormin' the castle!"

EVERYTHING IS YODA'S FAULT should be the title of Episode IV.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 11, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
After the prequels, the Matrix, and the spat of superhero movies, I'd like to see the Force return to its mystical OT nature if for no other reason than because I'm tired of seeing superhuman heroes.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Says the hipster.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I'm just interested to see what an outsider fan can do with the series. I'm guessing for a more realistic, gritty, down to earth movie kind of like the newest Star Trek.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd love a straightforward and fun adventure movie. I don't mind if it's targeted at a younger audience since they have to sell toys and merchandise, but that doesn't mean the characters have to be kids either. So yeah something like the JJ Abrams Star Trek would be ok with me.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope they do a kotor 2 type movie someday

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Rushed into theaters a few months early without an actual ending?

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd love a straightforward and fun adventure movie. I don't mind if it's targeted at a younger audience since they have to sell toys and merchandise, but that doesn't mean the characters have to be kids either. So yeah something like the JJ Abrams Star Trek would be ok with me.

Just something new, fresh and FUN. Something that just puts a big smile on my face.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Just something new, fresh and FUN. Something that just puts a big smile on my face.

Just get whoever does the writing for Clone Wars and you'll have a decent movie.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I hope they do a kotor 2 type movie someday

Kotor 2 works in a videogame where you can have hours and hours of dialogue about the inherent philosophical failings of the Jedi and the Sith spread out over a lengthy adventure, but in a movie it would come off as a cross between The Matrix sequels' navel-gazing and the worst episodes of Star Trek TNG where everyone smugly negotiates trade routes and the whole things a parable about the Cold War or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Farbtoner posted:

Kotor 2 works in a videogame where you can have hours and hours of dialogue about the inherent philosophical failings of the Jedi and the Sith spread out over a lengthy adventure, but in a movie it would come off as a cross between The Matrix sequels' navel-gazing and the worst episodes of Star Trek TNG where everyone smugly negotiates trade routes and the whole things a parable about the Cold War or whatever.

You can be philosophical in a film without a ton of dialogue. No Country for Old Men is largely about clashes in personal philosophy and with the possible exception of Tommy Lee Jones, not a lot of exposition. You couldn't do a recognizable Kotor 2 adaptation in film format, but it should be possible to make an interesting Star Wars film that raises the same thematic elements as Kotor 2 without giant speeches, but I doubt they will even try. Maybe if they try and emulate the old Timm/Dini Batman cartoon they can get a decent amount of weight behind the story while maintaining the family friendly vibe.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
Do you guys think the Republic Commando novels are film worthy?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

The Force Unleashed was supposed to be what happens when a jedi takes off the kid gloves and man was I bored.

Farbtoner posted:

A TV show might handle it better.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Skwirl posted:

You can be philosophical in a film without a ton of dialogue. No Country for Old Men is largely about clashes in personal philosophy and with the possible exception of Tommy Lee Jones, not a lot of exposition. You couldn't do a recognizable Kotor 2 adaptation in film format, but it should be possible to make an interesting Star Wars film that raises the same thematic elements as Kotor 2 without giant speeches, but I doubt they will even try. Maybe if they try and emulate the old Timm/Dini Batman cartoon they can get a decent amount of weight behind the story while maintaining the family friendly vibe.

I don't doubt that it's possible, but KotOR 2 delivered about 90% of its plot and philosphy sitting around chatting with your party members between missions (at least six of which have their faces obscured by masks/hoods or are droids with no facial expressions at all, which makes it even more uncinematic). The big, Red Letter Media Approved™ talking point against the prequels being how much of it is just shot-reverse-shot of people talking and a KotOR 2 adaptation would be pretty much that to the nth degree.

I love the game and a lot of the ideas and commentary it had, but in the end people watch Star Wars because they like good guys fighting bad guys. A philosophical deconstruction of Star Wars would just piss off moviegoers and film execs alike.

Lord Lambeth posted:

A TV show might handle it better.

Yes, but is there any film adaption of an IP in which a TV show (or an HBO mini-series) isn't at some point proposed as a better alternative?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Vermain posted:

There's nothing necessarily wrong with making the Jedi into Goku (and pardon my glibness here, but I love comparing things to Goku) depending on the particular thematic content of the work they're featured in. The problem is more that the Force became a background object rather than a narrative tool in the prequels.

Let's take one of the more obvious uses of the Force in The Empire Strikes Back: Vader and Luke's duel. At the midpoint, Vader picks up a bunch of miscellaneous objects and hurls them at Luke. This is meant to establish two key points for the scene:

1) Vader is considerably more powerful than Luke, and Luke's attempt to duel him is, ultimately, hubris. This serves as a counter to earlier in the duel where Luke actually seems to gain the upper hand at several points, or, at the very least, hold his own.

2) Vader is deliberately toying with Luke. He doesn't want to kill him, even though there are clearly points where he's hucking garbage at Luke where slipping a lightsaber in would be easy. This is interesting, since we've previously only seen Vader as a merciless executor of the Emperor's will, gladly choking the life out of anyone who so much as fails him. It helps to set up the eventual "father" revelation.

Obi Wan in the original movies uses his Force manipulation to show that he's long since past the point of being the "great warrior" Luke believes him to be, preferring subtlety and guile over hitting people with a lightsaber (which makes his eventual sacrifice more believable). The Emperor shoots lightning out of his hands to emphasize his limitless cruelty and malice. Luke frequently uses the Force to grab his lightsaber, as it's very clear that, for a great deal of the films, he considers "Jedi" and "warrior" to be synonymous. The Force, in this case, is an extension of the person using it.

At the opening of The Phantom Menace, meanwhile, Qui-Gon Jinn thrusts his hand forwards and - bwoomph! - some battle droids go flying backwards. Neat! This has jack diddly to do with who Qui-Gon is (a peaceful, heterodox diplomat), but it has everything to do with what a "Jedi" is in the tactically realistic world of the prequels. Yoda and Count Dooku fight and - cracko! - his fingertips flare with dark Sith lightning. Again: What the gently caress does this have to do with Count Dooku? He's not shown to be a particularly cruel or maleficent individual - in fact, he's downright genial. He shoots lightning because, again, it's tactically realistic that a Sith would know how to shoot lightning from his fingertips. The powers don't serve as extensions of the people as much anymore, aside from the obvious implications that certain powers are "bad" (like shooting lightning). They serve only as special effect receptacles, which is why they tend to feel far more like anime superpowers than the magical abilities of the original series.

Generally, good works that feature supernatural powers are cognizant of the fact that these special powers are merely extensions of the person wielding them. The prequels don't "ruin" the Force because people can shoot lightning and push everyone around or whatever (and, in fact, it would be quite natural to expect this in a series of films about a massive war). Rather, the Force simply becomes another accessory, like the lightsaber or a Jedi's robes, devoid of any kind of thematic meaning beyond merely being expected.

This is a delightful analysis of the Force, and I think more accurately describes why the Yoda fight in the prequel was so hated -- it wasn't only that it seemed ridiculous, it was that it was completely out of character.

That said, I'm fine with new films in the Star Wars world departing from the original mythos. Just as long as they aren't stupid, and I think it's going to be difficult to pull that off with any of the original characters involved.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shade2142 posted:

Do you guys think the Republic Commando novels are film worthy?

Aside from maybe the first one, Hard Contact? gently caress. No.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

vote_no posted:

This is a delightful analysis of the Force, and I think more accurately describes why the Yoda fight in the prequel was so hated -- it wasn't only that it seemed ridiculous, it was that it was completely out of character.

His entire appearance is out of character. He's a hermit. More important, a large sequence in Empire is structured around not knowing Yoda's identity. That everyone already knows who Yoda is through pop culture osmosis is irrelevant.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Thulsa Doom posted:

His entire appearance is out of character. He's a hermit. More important, a large sequence in Empire is structured around not knowing Yoda's identity. That everyone already knows who Yoda is through pop culture osmosis is irrelevant.
That's why the 4,5,1,2,3,6 order is the only one that makes sense. So much is revealed in Empire-- Yoda, the Emperor, Luke's parentage-- all of which are spoiled completely by watching the prequels first. In fact, Yoda in the prequels actually kind of makes sense if you watch Empire first and interpret his character arc as Empire showing a humbled, enlightened Yoda who suffered his entire world view being upended and set on fire. It makes prequel Yoda as unenlightened and spritually enfeebled as the rest of the Jedi, and the only reason he survives is because he is the most powerful. It makes both Episode 5 and 3 even more nihilistic than they already are, which is sort of awesome I guess.

Except that it resolves a narrative problem that should not have even occurred in the first place, and indeed wouldn't have occurred if the prequels were written by, like, a good writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

That's why the 4,5,1,2,3,6 order is the only one that makes sense. So much is revealed in Empire-- Yoda, the Emperor, Luke's parentage-- all of which are spoiled completely by watching the prequels first. In fact, Yoda in the prequels actually kind of makes sense if you watch Empire first and interpret his character arc as Empire showing a humbled, enlightened Yoda who suffered his entire world view being upended and set on fire. It makes prequel Yoda as unenlightened and spritually enfeebled as the rest of the Jedi, and the only reason he survives is because he is the most powerful. It makes both Episode 5 and 3 even more nihilistic than they already are, which is sort of awesome I guess.

Except that it resolves a narrative problem that should not have even occurred in the first place, and indeed wouldn't have occurred if the prequels were written by, like, a good writer.

Why are we even talking about watching prequels that do nothing but cheapen the actual good movies? Keep them out of the order. They're loving horrible movies.

• Locked thread