Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Puistokemisti posted:

On that Mine map, if you jump into the vent to join alien team when there's too many Aliens, you just fall to the bottom. Once there, you can't get back out anymore and it's apparently beyond the 'join zone' so you can't join the alien team either once there's room. Neither F4 nor 'kill' help you there, so I guess only way out is disconnecting.

You don't actually have to jump down there to select your team. Just run toward the entrance and if there is a slot you'll join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

pedro0930 posted:

Well, sometimes the marine team can move in and egglock the alien team and kill the hive. I saw quite a few games that ended like that.

This is another reason I love having shift hives first even with new players. Being able to spawn eggs elsewhere is useful as poo poo. One of the first things I will do on any double res node map is make sure there's a gorge taking care of business with a bunch of eggs at double. Reasonable res investment that not only brings in the cheddar but will have your team spawning in a useful area for a push. It also fools disorganized marine teams into spending the precious early game trying to assault a fortified position while I run hulkamaniac levels of wild over the rest of the map.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Magres posted:

There's nothing like having 4-5 mines down in a hallway and having an Onos and his Gorge support run over them, then suddenly only having a lone Onos to deal with.

There was a time in NS1 before mines took up physical space where one of the best ways to kill an onos was to stack 10 on top of eachother, obstruct it with your body, and when he came to eat you take a step back.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

There was a time in NS1 before mines took up physical space where one of the best ways to kill an onos was to stack 10 on top of eachother, obstruct it with your body, and when he came to eat you take a step back.

Put your mines under infestation like a man next time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CrunchyTaco posted:

Put your mines under infestation like a man next time.

I don't think you you can place mines on infestation :(

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but what happened to hive sight. Is it broken, to be implemented, removed. I keep getting the "Your poo poo is being hosed up!" audio message, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what is under attack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any reason I shouldn't drag the FOV setting all the way to the right?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ShadowHawk posted:

I remember these and other mine-related shenanigans and they're probably why mines do light damage now.

Hagop posted:

Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but what happened to hive sight. Is it broken, to be implemented, removed. I keep getting the "Your poo poo is being hosed up!" audio message, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what is under attack.

I haven't heard anything about any of the old features of hivesight coming back, other than people wondering where they've gone :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guesticles posted:

I think they should make an "Exo Gate"; maybe make a floor object like the NS1 gate, and only buildable at tech points. This still gives the aliens a "make them beacon and leave the Exos vunerable option" but gives the Exos the ability to get somewhere they're needed in less than 5 minutes.
Or even a researchable Exo-beacon.

Just give the exos the boost ability from Blacklight.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

I don't think you you can place mines on infestation :(

Indeed infestation will destroy any mines that it touches. If you have a cyst chain near a marine base that your team is about to push, it's sometimes a good idea to drop a sneaky cyst into the base and when the infestation spreads, the mines will detonate uselessly.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This looks quite interesting. I think I've managed to wrestle the settings to get reasonable performance, and had a stomp around a map on the practice mode, so I guess I'll give a game a go later. Seems quite complicated, but I suppose I'll work stuff out as I go along.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Exos are fine as they are, you have to accept that there are drawbacks to having 570 armor, motion tracking, high rate of fire, high damage and infinite ammunition.

I've seen marine teams lose because everyone saves up for exo, buys them at the same time, and when the commander beacons to save the main base from 2 skulks, only 1 lone marine gets beaconed back. They deserve the loss because they didn't create a balanced team.

At no point should more than 25% of your team have exo suits.

whiskas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 12, 2012

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
So I bought the game yesterday and played a bunch.

Good stuff:

It feels like NS. Way better than I expected. I like that they kept the same marine voices.

Bad stuff:

Pub games: no weapon upgrades or anything are ever provided. If the commander doesn't rush for dual gun exos everyone bitches. When exos drop everyone rushes in and dies. The exo I'm welding lives a little longer. I loving hate piloting exos tbh so the whole strategy pisses me off. Even ns1 jp was better than heavy.

The rare times that other stuff is researched they all rush in while I fly through vents into the hive and set everything on fire laughing maniacally until a fade kills me.

Exos are nice but they seem to work best as a support unit. No more than one per 6 marines or so.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 12, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Exos are nice but they seem to work best as a support unit. No more than one per 6 marines or so.

Ya and in a lot of games you see the exact opposite ratio. I think the pub mentality (and often my own tbh) is that you have to rush exos because most of the time half the alien team is just saving up rez for a quick mass onos push that is hard to defend without exos.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Ya and in a lot of games you see the exact opposite ratio. I think the pub mentality (and often my own tbh) is that you have to rush exos because most of the time half the alien team is just saving up rez for a quick mass onos push that is hard to defend without exos.

Jetpackers with shotguns, combined with blocking off choke points with armories are a much more effective counter to onoses. Hopefully in a few week the clueless pubbies will either disappear or smarten up and we'll return to the normal metagame.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't drag the FOV setting all the way to the right?

You are playing video games and are born after 1990?

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

This just isn't true. Dual minis cost 75 res plus the huge research investment.

Grenade launcher + jetpack is 35 res. Back up that launcher guy with at least two other JP marines with any kind of weapon costs 20 res. Those three guys can make life hell for an Onos if it's an open area. If one of them has a flamethrower, they can prevent the onos from retreating properly.

One dual mini vs. one onos will win that fight easily. But not many Onos players are dumb enough to just charge a dual mini alone. They can run away to another part of the map and kill something, while your exo is stuck there moving very slowly.

In pubs, teams tend to get overly attracted to fighting in one tiny chokepoint. The way to help your team win those chokes is to send one to three fast guys (depending on the server size) to go blow up the enemy's base structures. Exos root a good portion of the marine team in that big choke point conflict.

If you're going to use Exos, it's better to have them as support for 2-3 marines, rather than the usual clusterfuck of 3+ exos and a couple welders stuffed into a skinny hallway.

Harassing their structures forces the enemy team to send some guys out of the choke point to respond, which leads them to lose ground elsewhere in the map. A lot of commanders will also beacon the instant they see an onos in a base, so it's possible for one onos to poke his head into a base and then run the hell away once the beacon goes off, so the rest of the alien team can blow up the other marine base(s).

3 Stacked Midgets fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 13, 2012

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What do yellow server names mean? Green are rookie friendly, white are normal, yellow are?

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009
modded probably

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
commanders have a yellow name when they talk.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
Counting the moments until somebody adds an NS Classic style game mode with a line-up of all the original maps that made NS so cool back in the day, dumb elevator gimmicks and sliding door mechanics, all of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kraustofski posted:

Counting the moments until somebody adds an NS Classic style game mode with a line-up of all the original maps that made NS so cool back in the day, dumb elevator gimmicks and sliding door mechanics, all of it.

http://www.ns2cmod.com/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a volume-ducking-on-voice option anywhere that anyone knows about, like in the console? I find I often can't hear the commander when the ruckus gets going, and I'd rather not turn down the sound and music at all times if I can avoid it.

Zigmidge posted:

You are playing video games and are born after 1990?

i don't get it :saddowns:

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Build 229 has an available beta:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

It's not a full release, but an opt-in beta test. Be aware that there aren't many, or possibly any, servers running the 229 beta at the moment (released like an hour or so ago.) To enable the beta, read that post or this:

Right click on NS2 in your Steam library.
Go to Properties.
Go to the tab labeled "Betas"
In the drop down box, go to "Beta - patch beta release branch"
Wait for the 33 MB update file to download.
Enjoy your beta.

Patch notes:

None. Supposedly consists of myriad performance/netcode fixes. No changes to balance.

Other notes:

This is meant for beta testing only. Server capacity will be very limited. Post game breaking bugs, such as crashes, missing menus, etc. somewhere on the UWE forums.

Can I get out of the beta?
Yes, just go back to the "Betas" tab and select "None - opt out of all betas." You will download another patch and will be back at 228.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just give the exos the boost ability from Blacklight.

Single minigun exos need this, then they can do a SUPER PUNCH while boosting. I want to see an exo WRESTLE A drat ONOS TO THE GROUND. UPROOT WHIPS AND SWING THEM AROUND THE ROOM (no one ever wants a single gun exo in pub games 'Hey guys exos are ready!' 'Comm get dual mini's pls my dick needs to look bigger')

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I just got the game and I am not getting any textures to appear. The first game I loaded had the textures working fine. I've verified the game files, messed with graphic settings, reinstalled graphics drivers, tried the beta patch, no luck. Here is video of someone else having the same issue.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
turn off the ATI Catalyst Control Center poo poo and you'll get your textures back. It's the Anti-Aliasing setting I think?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Hey, I was looking through this thread and I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLHGSzXySU

How do I do this? Is it just like bunny hopping except you want to navigate yourself to a wall or ceiling instead of the floor?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh man, there is no crueler fate to dispense on the last living marine in a round than to surround him with a half-dozen Onos'es who constantly stomp him to the ground while a lone Gorge slowly, agonizingly heal-sprays the poor bastard to death.

If only there was all-talk in this game so we could hear his screams :unsmigghh:

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Supernorn posted:

turn off the ATI Catalyst Control Center poo poo and you'll get your textures back. It's the Anti-Aliasing setting I think?

Yep that did the trick, thanks. Even boosted the FPS strange enough.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hey, I was looking through this thread and I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLHGSzXySU

How do I do this? Is it just like bunny hopping except you want to navigate yourself to a wall or ceiling instead of the floor?

As far as I understand it, there are 3 main rules for walljumping.

1. When you jump off a wall you get a speed boost.

2. The speed boost drops off as you run along floors and walls, but you can preserve it by staying in the air.

3. The speed you gain by falling is carried through into your speed boost.

Thus by starting high, jumping as soon as you connect with any surface, and repeatedly bouncing from wall to wall, you can go 1.5-2x as fast as normal.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 13, 2012

Mushball
May 23, 2012

TheMostFrench posted:

Single minigun exos need this, then they can do a SUPER PUNCH while boosting. I want to see an exo WRESTLE A drat ONOS TO THE GROUND. UPROOT WHIPS AND SWING THEM AROUND THE ROOM (no one ever wants a single gun exo in pub games 'Hey guys exos are ready!' 'Comm get dual mini's pls my dick needs to look bigger')

I know the developers are adding a railgun exo in a later patch, but a pure close combat exosuit would be hilarious to watch as it takes on an onos like a wrestler straight out of a WWF match.

VVVVVVVVVVVV I'd give that suit a taunt ability that aggros the onos into making a beeline straight towards it. Like the pilot makes the suit flex or screams something like "come get some of this you big ugly rhino!" over the suit's speakers.

Mushball fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 13, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005
They should add a dual fist exo. It'll be like rockem sock em robots.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It could be a PunchQuest crossover :allears:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I'd be ok with exos being just like warhammer 40k dreadnoughts.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Suspicious posted:

I'd be ok with exos being just like warhammer 40k dreadnoughts.

That's kind of what they're like if you don't get the duals (I actually prefer the single one if I absolutely must use one but I guess I'm weird).

So I watched that video about alien commander. Why does nobody ever use any of those abilities? Hallucination looks pretty awesome to gently caress with marines. I bet it'd be fun on a pub server to constantly run a fake onos into the base so they constantly get beaconed.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!

AbsoluteLlama posted:

That's kind of what they're like if you don't get the duals (I actually prefer the single one if I absolutely must use one but I guess I'm weird).

So I watched that video about alien commander. Why does nobody ever use any of those abilities? Hallucination looks pretty awesome to gently caress with marines. I bet it'd be fun on a pub server to constantly run a fake onos into the base so they constantly get beaconed.

I imagine that on a pub server that if you are able to get hallucinations, the game is almost over.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Hallucinations have clumsy pathfinding, don't even pretend to attack, die pretty much instantly, and disappear entirely if the marine commander uses a scan, which is basic tech for marines.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Do you have to make hallucinations on creep infestation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Tornado Lazers posted:

Do you have to make hallucinations on creep infestation?

You have to make them from a shade, so... yes? But they can go anywhere.

The only problem with hallucinations is that they cost res and only really confuse people for seconds at most.

• Locked thread