Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Red Robin Hood posted:

I have been playing cool board games for only a few years now and mostly only a dozen times a year with my gaming group but I really, really enjoy it and am determined to do it more often. I need to lurk through the thread more but does anyone else love Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game?

I don't like to use the word "retarded" ever, but this game is retarded amounts of fun so I bought two core sets from Amazon.

This thread is for you! Like-minded X-Wing lovers hanging out over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Red Robin Hood posted:

I need to lurk through the thread more but does anyone else love Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game?

I don't like to use the word "retarded" ever, but this game is retarded amounts of fun so I bought two core sets from Amazon.
I've only had a quick test session sales pitch at my FLGS, but pretty much the only thing I ever hear about it echoes your sentiment: it's silly fun if you can avoid going catatonic from the sticker shock. My brief exposure gave me no reason to doubt the consensus.

I feel that the main issue is, and will continue to be, to get enough people to fork out the cash to get some battles going.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Tippis posted:

I've only had a quick test session sales pitch at my FLGS, but pretty much the only thing I ever hear about it echoes your sentiment: it's silly fun if you can avoid going catatonic from the sticker shock. My brief exposure gave me no reason to doubt the consensus.

I feel that the main issue is, and will continue to be, to get enough people to fork out the cash to get some battles going.

I guess converting over from Games-Workshop games helps the sticker shock for me :unsmith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 19, 2013

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is the Resistance Avalon from their Kickstarter expected to be released at some point?

I saw it for sale at my LGS.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Tekopo posted:

Except Tigris & Euphrates which is, quite rightly, a masterpiece that everyone should play.

I bought this on my iPad one night when I was ill and couldn't sleep. Did the tutorial at about 4am, recognised it as a complete masterpiece as you said and have never played it since.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'm sorry I haven't read through the entire thread, but I recently got a major nostalgia rush because someone reminded me of HeroQuest. I had so much fun playing that game with my family when I was 10 years old! Are there any new games out there in a similar vein? As in, simple-minded dungeon crawling games with some nice plastic miniatures to hold everyone's attention. I expect there is, but the only 'newer hero quest' I've heard of is Talisman, and I've also heard that game is pretty terrible.

On another, entirely different note: Does each player need a copy of the game to play Dominion?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobfly posted:

On another, entirely different note: Does each player need a copy of the game to play Dominion?

No, Dominion is entirely self-contained. Decks in Dominion don't exist outside of a particular game - you make them using the cards available to you for that game, and then once you finish you dismantle your decks and put the individual cards back. It isn't like a TCG or LCG where you build a deck and use it over and over again.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Oh, thank god. Because gently caress those cash machines. (Also this way increases your chance of being able to play with your friends)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

No, Dominion is entirely self-contained. Decks in Dominion don't exist outside of a particular game - you make them using the cards available to you for that game, and then once you finish you dismantle your decks and put the individual cards back. It isn't like a TCG or LCG where you build a deck and use it over and over again.

I feel like this an good explanation but it makes me think Magic the Gathering or something. This game is nothing like MtG and is its own thing. I recommend trying it out before you buy it if you can.. but you won't regret the purchase if you decide to get it anyway.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry I haven't read through the entire thread, but I recently got a major nostalgia rush because someone reminded me of HeroQuest. I had so much fun playing that game with my family when I was 10 years old! Are there any new games out there in a similar vein? As in, simple-minded dungeon crawling games with some nice plastic miniatures to hold everyone's attention. I expect there is, but the only 'newer hero quest' I've heard of is Talisman, and I've also heard that game is pretty terrible.

There's a bunch, actually! Mice & Mystics, Descent, the D&D boardgames, and Super Dungeon Explore are the most popular ones I can think of off the top of my head.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Red Robin Hood posted:

I feel like this an good explanation but it makes me think Magic the Gathering or something. This game is nothing like MtG and is its own thing. I recommend trying it out before you buy it if you can.. but you won't regret the purchase if you decide to get it anyway.

That explanation was all about how it is exactly not like MtG, though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Of those, Descent has my recommendation. Its really neat, fantastic minis, very slick rules that play very quickly and the ability to play out a fun little campaign with leveling and junk? Its rad.

The one downside is the slightly small feeling missions, but that is helped somewhat later on.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I'm sorry I haven't read through the entire thread, but I recently got a major nostalgia rush because someone reminded me of HeroQuest.

You could do much worse than Mice & Mystics. Not precisely the same kind of game, but I got the same kind of feel from it (moving around miniatures, different classes, fun stuff to do and find). It's quite light, but everyone here was totally sucked in by it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you do want to "try before you buy" with Tha 'Inion, you can check out Board Game Arena or Isotropic to play for free. The latter is more popular (for Dominion, at least), but the former has the rules and a much clearer interface for new players.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dominion posted:

That explanation was all about how it is exactly not like MtG, though.

Yeah I don't know why I got a MtG feel from it :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

If you do want to "try before you buy" with Tha 'Inion, you can check out Board Game Arena or Isotropic to play for free. The latter is more popular (for Dominion, at least), but the former has the rules and a much clearer interface for new players.

Androminion (for Android) has also been updated with Dark Ages, and is free.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I feel like I've been spoiled by all the times I've played Dominon online. Playing in person seems like it would be a disaster in deck shuffling and just management of the cards.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harlock posted:

I feel like I've been spoiled by all the times I've played Dominon online. Playing in person seems like it would be a disaster in deck shuffling and just management of the cards.

I played in person for the first time in a while recently and yeah it's sort of a pain. There's certainly charm in it (especially since a lot of my group doesn't own laptops so we can't just play online in the same room), but getting everything set up is a pain. The shuffling and such isn't a big deal, but setting up and tearing down and counting points a game between rounds is really irksome after you get used to just seeing a scoreboard, hitting rematch, and being ready to play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
With mod approval, I was gonna post a thread in Games about BGA sometime in the next day or so (basically, I realized that online board games are identical to turn-based computer games so who cares). I made a pretty brief post about it in some thread that most people probably won't read here, if people would like to spruce up any of my entries or write their own for other games on there go ahead and post them here so I can include them! Just keep it simple and in a paragraph or two at the very most, please.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Why limit it to just BGA? If you're going to make one, might as well make it for general web-based boardgaming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FebrezeNinja posted:

Why limit it to just BGA? If you're going to make one, might as well make it for general web-based boardgaming.

I don't actually know about other sites beyond isotropic and BSW (which I don't personally care for but if osmeone else wants to write about it I'd definitely post it). Keeping it to one site also increases the likelihood that everyone will play together but yeah it's mostly my ignorance with other sites.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I don't actually know about other sites beyond isotropic and BSW (which I don't personally care for but if osmeone else wants to write about it I'd definitely post it). Keeping it to one site also increases the likelihood that everyone will play together but yeah it's mostly my ignorance with other sites.

Yeah, BSW is the main other one. But there's also a surprising number of small and one-off game websites, like isotropic for Dominon (as you mentioned), BGO for TTA, Order of the Hammer for Brass, a few Agricola sites I never bothered remembering, Fantasy Strike for Yomi/Puzzle Strike, Slothninja for a few less popular games and I'm sure more for other games.

And that's not including online play downloads like keldon RftG, WarGameRoom, Colossus (Titan), and all of VASSAL.

Related to BGA, there's a goon group to make restricting tables faster.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Quick question -- in Twilight Struggle, if I headline Cuban Missile Crisis, setting DEFCON to 2, and my opponent headlines Olympic Games, what happens if I boycott? Does he lose or do I?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Moogs posted:

Quick question -- in Twilight Struggle, if I headline Cuban Missile Crisis, setting DEFCON to 2, and my opponent headlines Olympic Games, what happens if I boycott? Does he lose or do I?

He loses, you win. The player of the card is the phasing player in headline, so it's his fault.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 13, 2012

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Moogs posted:

He loses because he's the phasing player.

EDIT: Derp, beaten.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
For those goons who play Twilight Imperium, what's your opinion on the Lazax scenario from the second expansion?

Yesterday we had 7 and played it and I thought it was pretty unsatisfying. The objectives were all over the place and didn't seem to encourage fighting enough. I had "take Mecatol Rex" as the Xxacha, and no one had the "take Quann" objective, and there was a strong ally between the Lazax, Loyalist, and Loyalist's ally, so I could never muster enough of a force to do anything to the Lazax. I tried to make an ally, and used my treaty to tell him to attack the Lazax, but I found out after the game that he was trying to double-cross me because he had the "give three people treaties" objective and had therefore discarded my treaty. After much discussion we determined that the "give three people treaties" objective is literally impossible unless someone drops the ball real hard. The winner ended up being the Hacan, who had the "build 60 things" objective. We had ruled before the game started that stacks of fighters and ground forces counted towards that, but we weren't sure how that was supposed to work - it seems too easy if stacks count, and too hard if they don't (there are only 61 pieces of plastic per player, so you MUST build all of everything except perhaps one War Sun or something (and must also research War Suns, then)).

We all unanimously agreed that there was not a whole lot of point to the 60 things and the three treaties objectives, so we resolved to never play it again unless we only had 5 people, so we could take out those two. But even still, I don't really want to play it again. It just seemed like it encouraged too much turtling up and not enough fighting, and didn't really feel like a game of TI should.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FebrezeNinja posted:

Related to BGA, there's a goon group to make restricting tables faster.

Can I get an Invite? Username is "What Is Nachos"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Anyone in Europe have any online game store recommendations that they use for shipping/ordering games? My Dice Tower secret santa is in Austria.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Aerox posted:

Finally got in my first Mice & Mystics playsession last night with two other people. We did terrible and wiped on the first chapter, but everyone had a lot of fun and we pretty easily identified the mistakes we made. There was some concern, though, that bad rolling (which we did a lot of) can fill the enemy cheese wheel really rapidly without much to counter it.

We had some rules confusion with the cheese wheel, too. I figured I'd ask here before wading over to BGG, because I like you guys better.

In the following scenarios, there are already five cheese tokens on the cheese wheel.

Scenario 1:

Initiative Order:
#1: Player 1
#2: Player 2
#3: Player 3
#4: Spider
#5: Player 4 [Captured]

On player three's turn, he kills the spider. The spider is removed from the initiative track. On Player 4's turn, he revives. Given that the rules state whenever the last player in initiative order ends their turn and there are no minions on the board, a cheese token is added to the track, would the surge immediately trigger and place another minion right back on the board? If the surge was a Spider, would the Spider just come right back?

Scenario 2:

Initiative Order:
#1: Player 1
#2: Player 2
#3: Player 3
#4: Player 4
#5: Centipede

Player 4 begins his turn. He uses his action to attack and kill the centipede, removing it from the initiative track. He then moves, and ends his turn. Is a cheese token added to the wheel, immediately triggering a surge? If so, if he moved and then attacked (reversing action order), would this make a difference? If the Surge was a Centipede, would the Centipede just come right back?

We were confused about both of these scenarios, because in both cases the surge minion was the minion already on the board, and we were debating whether it was better to stall and let the minions roll one final cheese piece on attack/defend since that would trigger a surge, the figure would already be in play, and we'd clear the wheel while avoiding another combat scenario (and taking an hourglass movement, of course). That seemed kind of odd and against the spirit of the game, though, so we weren't sure if we were missing something or playing the surge/wheel rules wrong.

Hopefully this is clear -- if not, I'll try to clarify.

My friends and I played this not to long ago, and we ran into those situations. For both scenarios, we played it where you had another round of monster free roaming before cheese is added. So, in Scenario 1: when the captured player (4) returns, the party has until his turn comes up again in the following round. In Scenario 2, you have until the the killing player's (4) turn to do stuff before the cheese. In the case of the last monster dying in, let's say, Player 2's turn, Player 3 and 4 go as normal, then you have another full round before cheese is added. Hopefully that makes sense.

If this wasn't how its explained in the book, I'm not surprised. We have a tendency to do what feels "right" and it usually works. The game didn't seem to be affected much either way- we still had a fair amount of surges and near wipes. All in all, its a really fun game, and if I had kids, would totally play this with them.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

cancerianmoth posted:

My friends and I played this not to long ago, and we ran into those situations. For both scenarios, we played it where you had another round of monster free roaming before cheese is added. So, in Scenario 1: when the captured player (4) returns, the party has until his turn comes up again in the following round. In Scenario 2, you have until the the killing player's (4) turn to do stuff before the cheese. In the case of the last monster dying in, let's say, Player 2's turn, Player 3 and 4 go as normal, then you have another full round before cheese is added. Hopefully that makes sense.

If this wasn't how its explained in the book, I'm not surprised. We have a tendency to do what feels "right" and it usually works. The game didn't seem to be affected much either way- we still had a fair amount of surges and near wipes. All in all, its a really fun game, and if I had kids, would totally play this with them.

I was doing this for a bit too. I found that I was over thinking things: if at any point the last player's turn comes up and there are no minions on the board, you add cheese. If you have a surge but have already killed the surge minion, you still move the hourglass but do not fight again. (But check the special surge conditions for the board you are on - apparently some later chapters have surges that add a minion each time they occur whether or not you have already defeated it.)

Note that sometimes it is worth putting another cheese on the wheel in order to let everyone have a chance to search the tile or to rescue a captured mouse. I learned the hard way not to explore the next tile until everyone is back, as I forgot that minions pop up immediately after entering the new tile and therefore if you still have a captured mouse you have to wait until the new minions are defeated too before bringing the mouse back.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will get to looking at the recommendations.

Commands and Colors does seem interesting, will talk with the other person I'd be playing these with about what kind of time period he's interested in. Looking at the images of the napoleonic version, does it have a sort of fog of war element to it?

Also with regards to games with coloured blocks, anyone else have problems with them while playing with colour blind friends? Had a few games of space alert where Energy has wound up being used as a wound marker on enemy space ships.

SteelStiletto
Oct 22, 2011

Run!
Hey guys, I was wondering if you might be able to help me find an Ameritrash boardgame I had as a kid. I had no luck searching google for this.

It's a fantasy style boardgame, where each player controls a hero. Could be a wizard, a minotaur, or a variety of options. The interesting and odd part though, was a location at the top of the board that was a tower your character could enter. Once you did, you closed the door, pulled the lever, and inside was a different hero. There was also this rickety walkway that ran up one side of the board that I seem to remember being a kind of game counter, in that a wizard was slowly walking to the top and the game ended when he arrived. I might be very wrong about those mechanics though.

Anyone have an idea on what the name of this game is? I lost my copy as a teenager, and haven't been able to locate any more since then.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Not really sure what this year's "Hot Essen Games" are. Something about Terra Mystica, Snowdonia, Suburbia, Robinson Crusoe, The Great Zimbabwe, T'Zolkin, etc, but I hardly know anything about any of them. Will have to check them all out tomorrow and see what's the deal.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

Anyone in Europe have any online game store recommendations that they use for shipping/ordering games? My Dice Tower secret santa is in Austria.

Sadly, no-where is inexpensive here. What I wouldn't give for a store that does the types of offers you guys report Coolstuff and others do.

I use gameslore (first google result for the term will work) for most of my (I'm in the UK) purchases. Like every other European board game store, they're not cheap. But their service is very very good, and really friendly if you ever have to ring them.

Your best bet for cheaper postage will probably be a German store, though.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

I usually hit up Spelspul.nl for games that Amazon.co.uk doesn't have super saver shipping on. The store is in Dutch so I usually contact them on BGG, where they have most of their inventory on the marketplace. Like Funso Banjo said it's not exactly cheap, but the postage fee is really nice. Something like $8 to ship 2kg to Austria.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

SteelStiletto posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if you might be able to help me find an Ameritrash boardgame I had as a kid. I had no luck searching google for this.

It's a fantasy style boardgame, where each player controls a hero. Could be a wizard, a minotaur, or a variety of options. The interesting and odd part though, was a location at the top of the board that was a tower your character could enter. Once you did, you closed the door, pulled the lever, and inside was a different hero. There was also this rickety walkway that ran up one side of the board that I seem to remember being a kind of game counter, in that a wizard was slowly walking to the top and the game ended when he arrived. I might be very wrong about those mechanics though.

Anyone have an idea on what the name of this game is? I lost my copy as a teenager, and haven't been able to locate any more since then.

Tower of the Wizard King?

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Y'all dudes posted:

Play mice and mystics! Play descent! Play super dungeon explorer! Play Dominion!

Wow, thanks a bunch, you guys are great! Mice and mystics looks amazingly charming, and descent looks like all the good parts of advanced heroquest... Of course, the downside is, they both cost roughly 100$ (equiv.) around here... But, eh. It's nearly christmas!

Those online play sites for Dominion are also really interesting, though I'm not really comfortable with putting up a few laptops to play a card game during a social gathering, that seems to counteract the social aspect of it a little bit (but maybe I'm just a luddite). Maybe we should look into playing it via tablet or something, that seems like it'd be the good bits of the game without the bookkeeping.

Anyway, thanks a whole lot for the tips! You guys are great.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

DontMockMySmock posted:

For those goons who play Twilight Imperium, what's your opinion on the Lazax scenario from the second expansion?

I've been wanting to play it, but I've read about similar experiences as your own. I think I'm never going to be able to play it, because my group isn't a fan of preset galaxies :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelStiletto
Oct 22, 2011

Run!

That's it exactly! Thanks for your help!

• Locked thread