Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Serious Frolicking posted:

3. Eren has an epic battle with the beast titan and the humans win!

And equally likely,

4. A benevolent diety destroys all the titans and gives Sasha a never-ending baked potato.

At first I was like "Sasha really deserves a never-ending baked potato," then my brain caught up and realized you were being facetious and I got sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

There are apparently factions among the Titans, or so has been hinted at in previous chapters. Said Titan was probably aligned with either Bigfoot or Annie's faction.
"Aligned" is a funny word for something as mindless as a (normal) titan. I don't think they're really capable of... politics. It's got to be something more primal. A recently converted titan "smelling of humans" or something is a good guess. Or it might be something else. These are a strange group of titans. Could be any number of things "off" about them.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I thought titans have fought each other before? Like, preventing another titan from eating the humans so they can have them all? Maybe I'm just thinking of titan Eren

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The only ones with plot armor are most likely Erin and his "sister"
Probably Erin yea, but not sure about Mikasa. Even if she's a Japanese insert, could still kill her off just to gently caress with Erin some more.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Desperate Character posted:

My theory is that the titan that was attacked was one of the recently converted humans (just like the one in the village). Maybe newly converted titans are still attacked due to still smelling human or something, or vice versa it was a human titan that attacked the other as its thought process is relatively new :shrug:

This is what I think, and I also think it's related to how titans go after Eren when he is in titan form.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simstim posted:

This is what I think, and I also think it's related to how titans go after Eren when he is in titan form.

But they didn't seem to go after Annie when she was in Titan form. She seemed to be somewhat in control of them.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Jackard posted:

Probably Erin yea, but not sure about Mikasa. Even if she's a Japanese insert, could still kill her off just to gently caress with Erin some more.

I dunno, I think since Eren and Mikasa are partners and guard each other's backs and all that, most likely one of them will die at the climax of the series, just so it can end on a bittersweet note

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

erezaka posted:

I dunno, I think since Eren and Mikasa are partners and guard each other's backs and all that, most likely one of them will die at the climax of the series, just so it can end on a bittersweet note

Bittersweet? I wouldn't put it past this manga to end with the extinction of the human race.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

But they didn't seem to go after Annie when she was in Titan form. She seemed to be somewhat in control of them.

Yeah, but they did go after Eren.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bittersweet? I wouldn't put it past this manga to end with the extinction of the human race.
Why not both? Eren has somehow saved humanity at last, but lost Mikasa. It's hard, and Eren is sad, but he looks at a world for the first time at peace, and for the first time safe... and he thinks, maybe the sacrifice was worth it. He resolves to live on, honoring her memory.

Then it turns out Eren hasn't actually won, and titans show up again and kill everyone.

The only thing I think we can count on in this manga is for things to swing wildly back and forth from absolute despair to a glimmer of hope against the odds... and back again.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Eiba posted:

Why not both? Eren has somehow saved humanity at last, but lost Mikasa. It's hard, and Eren is sad, but he looks at a world for the first time at peace, and for the first time safe... and he thinks, maybe the sacrifice was worth it. He resolves to live on, honoring her memory.

Then it turns out Eren hasn't actually won, and titans show up again and kill everyone.

The only thing I think we can count on in this manga is for things to swing wildly back and forth from absolute despair to a glimmer of hope against the odds... and back again.

The only theme thats really run through every part of this story is "You can't win if you don't fight." While we joke about how everybody dies and every time it seems like there's a glimmer of hope it gets snuffed, that's a pretty positive message, and all the hardships in this story really only reinforce or test our protagonists on that front. If we didn't get a happy ending in this story, I'd frankly be surprised.

But then, Evangelion technically had a happy ending...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I actually really like the uncertainty. There is a very consistent narrative, but you can't tell what will happen next. No one is safe, the good guys can and do lose, and the setting is riddled with fascinating mysteries. Even better, the large cast of completely mortal characters are mostly likable and interesting.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

And equally likely,

4. A benevolent diety destroys all the titans and gives Sasha a never-ending baked potato.

Well, this is how I would end the series :colbert:

If Titans direct their aggression by smell, that would be a pretty huge deal. On the other hand, it strikes me as a little too good to be true. They don't go after animals, and it can't be that hard to make yourself smell like an animal you have ready access to. Or like a downed titan, for that matter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, why's Mikasa on everyone's death list rather than Eren? He's the guy with the crazy-dangerous, unpredictable superpower that's ideal for sacrificing himself to save the world with.

For ultimate :smithicide: factor, they could have him defeat the folks behind the whole Titan thing, saving humanity, but lose his mind in the process, forcing Mikasa to kill him as the last casualty of the human-Titan war.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Because he can't die, because he's the key to humanity's salvation. Being eaten but regurgitated by a titan causes you to become a titan yourself. Eren will start to swallow humans whole, then vomit them up in order to Titan-ize them. He will be the messiah that ushers in humanity's ascendance to a higher level of existence.

Then he will declare Titan War on the other titan factions, eventually win, and the titans will inherit the earth.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 10, 2012

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, why's Mikasa on everyone's death list rather than Eren? He's the guy with the crazy-dangerous, unpredictable superpower that's ideal for sacrificing himself to save the world with.
He can't die until the basement and/or dad shows up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simstim posted:

Yeah, but they did go after Eren.

Right, but then smell can't be the reason. Unless every time Annie turned into a Titan she went and took a bath to wash the human smell off herself.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gyges posted:

Right, but then smell can't be the reason. Unless every time Annie turned into a Titan she went and took a bath to wash the human smell off herself.

Actually did we ever see her team up with any titian? The only real interaction I remember is when she yells and a bunch come and devour her titian form.

That might not have been some magical come eat me call but just enough noise to get the Titian's attention.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Hm, I'm actually starting to waiver on my Reiner and Bertholdt theories. I wouldn't expect a man who could, at any time, turn into a nearly invincible regenerating titan to have a fearful internal monologue about dying to a 2 meter titan.

How did you ever come to this conclusion in the first place?

And anyway, the people with plot armour are Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Rivaille and Ymir. We need something out of all of them, though Rivaille is probably going to bite it first out of that bunch, though it mightn't be for ages.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

Dude just said smell as a possible explanation, I didn't even say that. His main point that I agreed with is the reason the one titan attacked the other titan is because the other titan was a recently turned titan from whats-his-face's village. And I added that the reason the titan attacked the recently turned titans and the titans' interest in Eren are probably connected. The reason they obey Annie probably has to do with her knowing more about what is going on and being a more experienced titan.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Nilbop posted:

How did you ever come to this conclusion in the first place?

And anyway, the people with plot armour are Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Rivaille and Ymir. We need something out of all of them, though Rivaille is probably going to bite it first out of that bunch, though it mightn't be for ages.

It was a pretty detailed discussion in the thread that started on page 26.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Hm, I'm actually starting to waiver on my Reiner and Bertholdt theories. I wouldn't expect a man who could, at any time, turn into a nearly invincible regenerating titan to have a fearful internal monologue about dying to a 2 meter titan.

Maybe he's one of the "can't come out at night" type of titans.

Very Notable
Oct 10, 2012

People who know fear are that much harder to kill.
Well I'm caught up now. I have a few things to say.

1. The titan saying Ymir's name during the Ilse sidestory is very suspicious.
2. Ryner picking up that titan like it was a sack of potatoes was awesome.
3. As for the mystery of Connie's village. Did the villagers turn into titans?? Or were the titans thrown over the wall?? Or both??? I bet Big Foot knows the answer.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Very Notable posted:

3. As for the mystery of Connie's village. Did the villagers turn into titans?? Or were the titans thrown over the wall?? Or both??? I bet Big Foot knows the answer.
Um, duh. The last chapter pretty blatantly demonstrated that Bigfoot is honing his shot put skills, so some lightweight titans must be easy for him to throw over the wall

v Yeah, was partially kidding there :v: But if you're right about that second part :stare:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 12, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Except the blatant hints that people have been turning into titans? And the hairy Titan was inside the wall until a few chapters ago.

It may just be me, the two little Titans fighting this chapter looked almost like children playing. Maybe they are converted kids.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

One thing that I'm really curious about is "why now"? There's all these human-turned-titans suddenly active within the walls, people are (probably) turning into titans, and then you have the hairy guy. What on earth is happening outside the walls that this is happening now? If the titans were able to do these things from the beginning the walls would have long been breached, so something's fishy as all hell.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Gyre posted:

One thing that I'm really curious about is "why now"? There's all these human-turned-titans suddenly active within the walls, people are (probably) turning into titans, and then you have the hairy guy. What on earth is happening outside the walls that this is happening now? If the titans were able to do these things from the beginning the walls would have long been breached, so something's fishy as all hell.

Maybe they've gained access to the mysterious basement and have access to the same things that made Erin a titan. They have held that part of the wall for awhile now..

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Gyre posted:

I suspect is due to the wall breaking a few hours ago. What if the wall not only blocks the attacking titans physically, but also emits some radiation or something that prevents the humans inside, all of which are already infected, from turning? The wall priest is still hiding something important from the scout squad, even though hundreds of lives are on the line and the scouts already know about the wall's titan filling. This would be something adequately huge.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wili posted:

I suspect is due to the wall breaking a few hours ago. What if the wall not only blocks the attacking titans physically, but also emits some radiation or something that prevents the humans inside, all of which are already infected, from turning? The wall priest is still hiding something important from the scout squad, even though hundreds of lives are on the line and the scouts already know about the wall's titan filling. This would be something adequately huge.

That's the thing though, the wall isn't broken. Remember that the Scouts ran along the inside of it looking for the breach and didn't find one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

That's the thing though, the wall isn't broken. Remember that the Scouts ran along the inside of it looking for the breach and didn't find one.

He was talking about the inner wall, though I think that idea is a bit silly. It isn't as though the breach Annie made was the first time a wall had ever been damaged.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

Because he can't die, because he's the key to humanity's salvation. Being eaten but regurgitated by a titan causes you to become a titan yourself. Eren will start to swallow humans whole, then vomit them up in order to Titan-ize them. He will be the messiah that ushers in humanity's ascendance to a higher level of existence.

Then he will declare Titan War on the other titan factions, eventually win, and the titans will inherit the earth.

Actually Eren was injected with mysterious chemical X by his dad, so I don't think that being vomited up by titans is what turns humans into titans themselves. It's much more likely that the injection is how he became a titan.

Although it does raise the question as to why deceased bodies are cremated. Is it just a cultural thing, or are there deeper implications behind it? Conforming to society's expectations has been a theme that's been developed in the earlier chapters as well as with the Wall Cult, so it's possible that the people are following a long tradition that has lost meaning over time.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

codeorange posted:

Although it does raise the question as to why deceased bodies are cremated. Is it just a cultural thing, or are there deeper implications behind it? Conforming to society's expectations has been a theme that's been developed in the earlier chapters as well as with the Wall Cult, so it's possible that the people are following a long tradition that has lost meaning over time.

With limited land why waste it on cemeteries.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

codeorange posted:

Although it does raise the question as to why deceased bodies are cremated.

Because virtually everyone is cremated in Japan.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

codeorange posted:

Actually Eren was injected with mysterious chemical X by his dad, so I don't think that being vomited up by titans is what turns humans into titans themselves. It's much more likely that the injection is how he became a titan.

I thought it was because barfed up dead bodies would spead some sort of deadly disease. Pretty sure finding the cure for it was what made Eren's father well known/famous.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
I thought he was famous for treating people in general. I doubt there are many trained doctors around, let alone ones who go around treating poor people.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Eren didn't get barfed up anyways, he transformed while in the titan's stomach.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

codeorange posted:

His dad said that the injection was for messing with his memories. There's obviously some way for people to naturally become titans, it doesn't necessarily have have to be the injection that did it.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

It is common pratice during wars or epidemics when there are a lot of dead bodies to either bury them in a mass grave or burn them to prevent the spread of disease.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
Hey guys, I found out a new manga which has the same ''feel'' of advance of the giants. It's named Knight of Sidonia an on going serie and it's pretty cool to read when you are craving for a post apocalyptic humanity survival managa.

Taken from Wiki!

The story follows humans as they struggle to survive against the threat of the shapeshifting gigantic alien monsters called Gauna. The manga begins a thousand years after humans flee from Earth, which was supposedly destroyed by the Gauna, aboard massive spaceships created from the remains of the planet.

The Gauna follow the emigration ships into space, forcing the humans to create large mechanized weapons called Guardians to protect themselves. Most people in the surviving human population is screened and drafted as Guardian pilots since young age if they are shown to be capable of piloting the mecha.

The story focuses on one of such ships named Sidonia which developed its own human culture closely based on that of Japan and where human cloning, asexual reproduction and human engineering such as controlled hybrid human/animal mutations and human photosynthesis are commonplace.

The main character is Tanikaze Nagate, who lived in the underground layer of Sidonia since birth. Never having met anyone, he trains himself in an old Guardian pilot simulator every day, eventually mastering it. Later he ventures out and after being tested in a new simulator he is selected as a Guardian pilot, in hopes of defending Sidonia from the Gauna's attack using his incredible combat skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Alca posted:

Hey guys, I found out a new manga which has the same ''feel'' of advance of the giants. It's named Knight of Sidonia an on going serie and it's pretty cool to read when you are craving for a post apocalyptic humanity survival managa.

Good manga, too bad it's never gonna get finished