Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it possible to buy a SIM + $45 plan from Straight Talk and just hold on to it? It won't take efffect until I actually plug in the SIM and all that, right?

I still can't find a test phone that'd use MicroSIM so I'll probably just buy the Nexus 4 and go with that.

Yep that's what I'm doing. Got my MicroSIM sat here chilling until my Nexus 4 arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Yep that's what I'm doing. Got my MicroSIM sat here chilling until my Nexus 4 arrives.

Sweet! I'll order it now then. Thanks for the confirmation.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sweet! I'll order it now then. Thanks for the confirmation.

Remember to use the code SIMSAVE if it's still valid and get $10 off the SIM and plan together.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Remember to use the code SIMSAVE if it's still valid and get $10 off the SIM and plan together.

Very first thing I did, actually. Apparently, the stuff was still in my cart from last time. Huh.

Walmart around here claims to sell GSM phones but I didn't see any SIM cards.

e: Can the Nexus 4 do international texting on ST GSM? My friend has ST CDMA with the LG Optimus Q and he can do it (as the website states) but I don't know if they allow it on GSM ST because it doesn't say much at all about their GSM side.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2012

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I got an iphone 4, and I'm trying to choose between Net10 and Tmobile prepaid for service. I don't plan to use data all that often, so either one ($50/mo Net10 vs. $60/mo Tmobile) would be fine. My only concern is about the customer service/experience, or any particular pros/cons for each one. Is any one company between than the other to deal with, or has better service? I saw it was mentioned that tmobile roams on att for prepaid, and call quality is actually my biggest concern. Does net10 do the same? Would anyone highly recommend either service, or is it pretty much the same either way?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

yoyomama posted:

I got an iphone 4, and I'm trying to choose between Net10 and Tmobile prepaid for service. I don't plan to use data all that often, so either one ($50/mo Net10 vs. $60/mo Tmobile) would be fine. My only concern is about the customer service/experience, or any particular pros/cons for each one. Is any one company between than the other to deal with, or has better service? I saw it was mentioned that tmobile roams on att for prepaid, and call quality is actually my biggest concern. Does net10 do the same? Would anyone highly recommend either service, or is it pretty much the same either way?

Be careful of Net10. Last I used them they worked great on their own phones only. Why are you considering Net10? TMo has great customer service in that you will never need to use it. Also check airportal.de to see if you have 1900Mhz in your area before considering TMo prepaid.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
^^^ I chose them since people in the thread seemed to endorse StraightTalk, and it and Net10 are basically the same and owned by the same company, same policies, etc. That said, I'm more than willing to consider Tmo prepaid instead if it would be better service overall. If it roams on ATT then I'm set so long as I can make calls and send texts.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Has anyone tried the PagePlus plans recently? It seems like they offer viable plans for people that use a bunch of voice and text on the Verizon network along with a bit of data. (200 or 250MB of 3G)

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Baby Proof posted:

Has anyone tried the PagePlus plans recently? It seems like they offer viable plans for people that use a bunch of voice and text on the Verizon network along with a bit of data. (200 or 250MB of 3G)

I have the 1200 plan and my wife has the unlimited. We both love it. The only real downside is 20 min wait times for anything customer service related and no easy way to activate 4g phones until early next year.

Regarding the data, we don't hit limits, but we spend lots of time where there's wifi and really only use 3g for directions, emails and miscellany while we're out and about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Can the Nexus 4 do international texting on ST GSM? My friend has ST CDMA with the LG Optimus Q and he can do it (as the website states) but I don't know if they allow it on GSM ST because it doesn't say much at all about their GSM side.

I would assume it's kosher. What would prevent texting to international numbers?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I would assume it's kosher. What would prevent texting to international numbers?

I don't know but apparently ST has an active block on it that only two CDMA phones can do it for free. He has a friend that moved to Australia and can text him freely on ST CDMA.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know but apparently ST has an active block on it that only two CDMA phones can do it for free. He has a friend that moved to Australia and can text him freely on ST CDMA.

That's odd. I wonder if you can get around that with GV integration, if need be. Not entirely sure, though, since I don't know if Voice replaces your SMS with sending data to Google, who then sends the SMS, or if it's something where it still gets routed through ST when outbound and GV when inbound, with the app just serving as record keeping. That's assuming you can even integrate GV on ST.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

That's odd. I wonder if you can get around that with GV integration, if need be. Not entirely sure, though, since I don't know if Voice replaces your SMS with sending data to Google, who then sends the SMS, or if it's something where it still gets routed through ST when outbound and GV when inbound, with the app just serving as record keeping. That's assuming you can even integrate GV on ST.

GV only seems to integrate completely on Sprint's postpaid. I'm sad about this, but to save $40/mo, I will live.

Another problem is, I don't think GV does international anything because it doesn't even recognize Puerto Rico. I can text my friend from PR all I want on the stock messaging app on Android on my NS4G and due to the integration, it'll show up on the GV app/website, but I can never respond. GV will claim it can't send to international numbers.

I think, with GV integration, it replaces your SMS with data and sends the SMS as the SMS you sent never shows up in the official Messaging app. I'm not sure how it'll work without integration...never tried that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

GV only seems to integrate completely on Sprint's postpaid. I'm sad about this, but to save $40/mo, I will live.

Another problem is, I don't think GV does international anything because it doesn't even recognize Puerto Rico. I can text my friend from PR all I want on the stock messaging app on Android on my NS4G and due to the integration, it'll show up on the GV app/website, but I can never respond. GV will claim it can't send to international numbers.

I think, with GV integration, it replaces your SMS with data and sends the SMS as the SMS you sent never shows up in the official Messaging app. I'm not sure how it'll work without integration...never tried that.

Bah. Oh well. I ported my number from Sprint to GV a while back, it's just one of those kinds of phone numbers that's easy to remember. Sure, I never get MMS and people are bewildered when I send them because it comes from my Sprint number, but it's nice.

Sprint's still headed for the shitter for me, though. Maybe in like 2 years when they remember Omaha exists and light the place up with LTE I'll return but it'll still be an issue of Nexuses not being Sprint phones due to fuckery.

On the other hand, if T-Mo makes an effort to expand coverage here I'd be on them in a heartbeat. They have HSPA+ 42, but from everything I see on maps, I'd end up roaming the vast majority of the time because it's so spotty.

E: if you look at the top cities by population in the US, Omaha's ahead of a bunch of markets they've rolled LTE out to already, like both M&SP in MSP, Miami, Wichita etc.

It's frustrating. Why Omaha gotta be the redheaded stepchild?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 13, 2012

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Bah. Oh well. I ported my number from Sprint to GV a while back, it's just one of those kinds of phone numbers that's easy to remember. Sure, I never get MMS and people are bewildered when I send them because it comes from my Sprint number, but it's nice.

Sprint's still headed for the shitter for me, though. Maybe in like 2 years when they remember Omaha exists and light the place up with LTE I'll return but it'll still be an issue of Nexuses not being Sprint phones due to fuckery.

On the other hand, if T-Mo makes an effort to expand coverage here I'd be on them in a heartbeat. They have HSPA+ 42, but from everything I see on maps, I'd end up roaming the vast majority of the time because it's so spotty.

E: if you look at the top cities by population in the US, Omaha's ahead of a bunch of markets they've rolled LTE out to already, like both M&SP in MSP, Miami, Wichita etc.

It's frustrating. Why Omaha gotta be the redheaded stepchild?

I ask myself that every few weeks, especially when you can drive to KC for the weekend and get 4g everywhere.

For you Omaha goons, let me know how straight talk is. My contract isn't up on Sprint till June, but there needs to be some serious changes to keep me spending 80 bucks a month on a phone.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If I switch from the Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4 can I just roll up to a T-Mo store and witch my SIM for a Micro SIM, or is there something lame I have to do like order it online?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

UnbornApple posted:

If I switch from the Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4 can I just roll up to a T-Mo store and witch my SIM for a Micro SIM, or is there something lame I have to do like order it online?

They can switch it for you. They might even just use a SIM cutter on your existing SIM. You can buy those cutters online yourself for dirt cheap too if you want to do it yourself.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

UnbornApple posted:

I stopped at a T-Mo store yesterday. Swapped my SIM in about 3 minutes without any cost to me. Sounds like its officially :10bux::10bux: but most stores will do it for free.

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006
Is there a way to track how much data I've used on the straight talk website?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

hypersober posted:

Is there a way to track how much data I've used on the straight talk website?

If you're using an Android 4.1 phone, there's a built-in option for monitoring data under Settings. You can even have it cut you off after a certain threshold, if I remember.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nihiliste posted:

You can even have it cut you off after a certain threshold, if I remember.

This is true. In my experience, the Google data tracking matches the numbers from TMobile pretty closely.

My question: Does #MIN# work for others on TMobile? I've been getting back that I have 000 minutes left and additional minutes cost $0.00. I've noticed this over the last two or three days. Using the website or TMobile app, I have the correct amount of minutes available.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 13, 2012

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Uthor posted:

This is true. In my experience, the Google data tracking matches the numbers from TMobile pretty closely.

My question: Does #MIN# work for others on TMobile? I've been getting back that I have 000 minutes left and additional minutes cost $0.00. I've noticed this over the last two or three days. Using the website or TMobile app, I have the correct amount of minutes available.

There is a T-Mo app that is always correct for me. I just did #MIN# and got 0 as well, even though I have 100 minutes by the app and website.

Edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.selfhelp

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

If you're using an Android 4.1 phone, there's a built-in option for monitoring data under Settings. You can even have it cut you off after a certain threshold, if I remember.

I'm using an iphone 4, which also has that feature. But yeah, I'm just concerned about its accuracy vs. usage according to straight talk.

Thanks!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ok, some questions on Straight Talk. The OP mentions a separate Tmobile Straight Talk and an AT&T Straight Talk. Can you choose which one you get? Are they any different?

And since Only Tmobile has the HSPA+42 that the Nexus 4 can use, how does that work with Straight Talk?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rooster Brooster posted:

There is a T-Mo app that is always correct for me. I just did #MIN# and got 0 as well, even though I have 100 minutes by the app and website.

Edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.selfhelp

Yeah, I have the app installed. It seems to work fine. I was just using #MIN# in conjunction with a widget that mined that data to display my available minutes on my home screen. I got a bit scared when the widget suddenly went from 80 minutes available down to 0.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FISHMANPET posted:

Ok, some questions on Straight Talk. The OP mentions a separate Tmobile Straight Talk and an AT&T Straight Talk. Can you choose which one you get? Are they any different?

And since Only Tmobile has the HSPA+42 that the Nexus 4 can use, how does that work with Straight Talk?
They use different SIM cards, and which SIM controls which network you connect to. You pick which SIM you want when you order, with ATT being the default for a generic GSM device (because their frequencies are more common).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If I travel somewhere where AT&T sucks, can I buy a T-Mobile SIM card ahead of time and cut it to microSIM and use it while still on Straight Talk or am I permanently stuck on AT&T?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And to be clear with AT&T there's no roaming onto Tmobile towers?

Ugh, there's just so much space without coverage, but then again I hardly ever go to those places.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FISHMANPET posted:

And to be clear with AT&T there's no roaming onto Tmobile towers?

Ugh, there's just so much space without coverage, but then again I hardly ever go to those places.

Prepaid has no data roaming on AT&T towers, but if I understand correctly it does roam for voice and txt (not MMS).

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I travel somewhere where AT&T sucks, can I buy a T-Mobile SIM card ahead of time and cut it to microSIM and use it while still on Straight Talk or am I permanently stuck on AT&T?

Well you would have a different number on the other SIM. Seems like a weird solution.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

ThermoPhysical posted:

Your phone number is tied to a sim card so you could swap sim but not have your phone number on it. I've done the opposite way in that I have T-Mobile but I had to travel to no-where Kentucky that didn't have T-Mobile service. So I purchased a Straight Talk AT&T sim and activated it and used Google Voice as my main phone number.

I will say if you have AT&T you won't need to use T-Mobile's network. If there is T-Mobile service 99% of the time you'll have AT&T service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gariig posted:

Your phone number is tied to a sim card so you could swap sim but not have your phone number on it. I've done the opposite way in that I have T-Mobile but I had to travel to no-where Kentucky that didn't have T-Mobile service. So I purchased a Straight Talk AT&T sim and activated it and used Google Voice as my main phone number.

I will say if you have AT&T you won't need to use T-Mobile's network. If there is T-Mobile service 99% of the time you'll have AT&T service.

AT&T doesn't work in Flagstaff, AZ but T-Mobile does (sort of). I'll probably buy a T-Mo SIM and use Google Voice if I need to.

Thanks though!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Looking at buying a Nexus 4 w/o contract and switching to prepaid. What are the drawbacks of using AT&T Straighttalk instead of AT&T directly? Are there any other than roaming (I seem to get decent AT&T service everywhere)? I'm assuming I am losing on some feature. I would be doing unlimited data and the straighttalk website didn't have any mention of speeds which is a bit of a concern.

I am also considering doing a long period (1 year maybe?) to save additional money, but I may give it a month or two first just to make sure it's not a complete shitshow. Are these prices pretty firm or do they like to hammer you with awesome fees? My $39.99 AT&T plan is usually a bit cheaper than $60 a month when it is all said and done.

SIMpleTalk seemed pretty competitive and more upfront with things like speed, and their website is a bit more modern looking. Not sure if it is worth the additional $5 a month. I know the OP poo poo on them a bit, but I am a bit unnerved by not being able to find much in the way of details from straighttalk's website. I feel like I'll give them $500 for a year of a service only to have them disappear in a few months :(

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
If you're looking for a decent GSM phone to use with a prepaid provider, check your local craigslist for galaxy nexus phones. The nerds that bought their Nexus 4's are selling them for a song.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mob/3408220599.html

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and seriously gently caress this $80/month plan.

What do I need to do to go about using this phone for the T-Mobile pre-paid network? I don't use voice for anything more than emergencies, and I don't care that my data will be slower than hell.

Can I just get my phone unlocked and order one of the micro-sim starter kits? Does anyone have them in stock?

Alternatively, are there any T-mobile phones that I should look into buying to replace mine, if that is easier/better? $35/month plan is incredibly inciting, and I am not in a contract currently.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

What do I need to do to go about using this phone for the T-Mobile pre-paid network? I don't use voice for anything more than emergencies, and I don't care that my data will be slower than hell.

Can I just get my phone unlocked and order one of the micro-sim starter kits? Does anyone have them in stock?

Alternatively, are there any T-mobile phones that I should look into buying to replace mine, if that is easier/better? $35/month plan is incredibly inciting, and I am not in a contract currently.

AT&T has been unlocking iphone 4's for a while. So step 1 is calling them up and asking for an unlock code.

Tmobile online is currently out of micro sim's (nexus 4 launch), but you may be able to go into a store and get one. Some stores will try to charge you $20, some will give one up for free. You can also order tmo microsims elsewhere, or just get ahold of a mini-sim and either cut it down by a tool or by hand (if you're brave).
http://www.amazon.com/TMobile-MicroSim-iPhone-Unactivated-T-MOBILE/dp/B0075EBS50/

If you just want to pay less and retain your 3G data and keep your iphone, straight talk might be a better operator for you ($45/mo). Check your local listings.

If you do want to stick with tmobile, there are plenty of good phones. My house is currently enjoying the One S and GS3, but I have a Nexus 4 on the way, which is reported to be very good as well. It kind of depends on your budget and needs.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Unlock request is in.

If I do run T-Mobile, an iPhone WILL work though, right? Just won't have 3G support? I can live with that for a while - I was planning on replacing it anyways with a not-iPhone soon (Nexus?).

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Depending on where you live you may have 3G as TMO is getting iPhone compatible frequencies up and running around the country. Check https://www.airportal.de

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

Unlock request is in.

If I do run T-Mobile, an iPhone WILL work though, right? Just won't have 3G support? I can live with that for a while - I was planning on replacing it anyways with a not-iPhone soon (Nexus?).

Yeah, it will work in all areas for voice service. Tmobile's 3g(fake 4g) network uses HSPA 1700Mhz, which the iphone doesn't support, but as nickutz stated, they're rolling out 1900Mhz support, which your phone does use for data. You will always get EDGE access, which will bring you back to modem days, but works in a pinch. And of course, wifi will work as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

IuniusBrutus posted:

You know you can use straight talk and continue to get AT&T service for only $45 /month right? Then you won't have to worry about whether or not 3G works in your area

• Locked thread