Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

I was just told about this today, thankfully.
As of yesterday, Firefox has been not responding whenever I started it. Reboots, Firefox safe mode, uninstall/reinstall - nothing helped.
Waterfox installed and has worked a treat so far. And the blue icon looks cool.

Waterfox also got rid of the AVG toolbar option on its installer, which I know pissed off a lot of people here and elsewhere.

It looks like the guy maintaining the project is a college kid though, so don't expect as timely updates as normal Firefox. Version 16 was about 2 weeks behind Firefox's 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
To be honest I'll probably be happier with less updates by going to Waterfox.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You don't really get less updates with Waterfox, they're just slightly later while the dude does his tweaking of the basic codebase.

Although when you have things like when Firefox 16 came out and then immediately was replaced by 16.0.1 then the Waterfox version will be based off the bugfix version. So I guess you have fewer updates sometimes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, I figured if their updates are delayed then maybe they'd roll them up a bit.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

If anyone just installed Windows 8 and hates how Firefox looks on it, this theme is fantastic.

http://luxorus.deviantart.com/art/Firefox-Ribbon-UI-version-1-3-2-BETA-332605718

what an awful way to install an theme. "hey guy, just replace all your extensions with my own!"

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I don't know when it started happening (maybe on version 16?), but my Firefox displays some characters in the mouseover link preview as their HTML entities rather than the actual character (for instance, %20 instead of a space, and Unicode characters are a massive unreadable mishmash.) It used to display them as the actual characters, and it displays them in the address bar. How can I restore this behavior?

Edit: Might be a problem with the Status-4-Evar addon. Still looking into it.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 4, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Question for people on Waterfox with ImageZoom, or people on Waterfox who want to install it to replicate the problem: after installing the extension, you have to right-click twice to pull up the context menu if you're right-clicking an image, any ideas? The extension site has been a graveyard since 2010, and I haven't found a similar-but-compatible replacement

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Something else for Waterfox users: do you have jumplists under Win 7? In Firefox I'd get previous webpages and the "open new window" options in the jumplist, but Waterfox has only ever shown me the "exit" and "unpin" and app name options.

Google tells me to unpin and pin it again but that does nothing.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

Something else for Waterfox users: do you have jumplists under Win 7? In Firefox I'd get previous webpages and the "open new window" options in the jumplist, but Waterfox has only ever shown me the "exit" and "unpin" and app name options.

Google tells me to unpin and pin it again but that does nothing.

They killed this in like WF15. I still have those actions from my upgraded 14 and below installs, but they don't work.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Weird. Guess they thought it was a security flaw or something? Thanks for the info.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gromit posted:

Weird. Guess they thought it was a security flaw or something? Thanks for the info.

For me, the old now-non working items try linking to Firefox instead of Waterfox, which is probably why they were cut.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Why is firefox warning me about closing tabs even though I have "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" unchecked? I checked in about:config and couldn't find any addition hidden settings that looked like they'd effect this.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Aquila posted:

Why is firefox warning me about closing tabs even though I have "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" unchecked? I checked in about :config and couldn't find any addition hidden settings that looked like they'd effect this.
You're sure you're getting a warning about closing multiple tabs rather than a warning to be sure you want to leave a page, right? If so, that sounds like a profile issue. Using Reset Firefox from about :support is probably your best bet if you can't find an easier fix.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Alereon posted:

You're sure you're getting a warning about closing multiple tabs rather than a warning to be sure you want to leave a page, right? If so, that sounds like a profile issue. Using Reset Firefox from about :support is probably your best bet if you can't find an easier fix.

Yeah, here's my current firefox options and the message I get. I tried a reset and after making sure to uncheck the close multiple tabs warning option I got the same result (without changing anything else).

Pre-emptive yes I love the way my firefox looks and will never change it.

Edit: Oops, I lost all my adblock plus and noscript settings :( any chance they were backed up? I should have been more careful.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 8, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bug 772319 - No option to disable the "Close other tabs" prompt

Broken in Firefox 16, fixed in Firefox 17 beta 4. Only affects the "Close Other Tabs" menu item in a tab's context menu, the other ways of closing multiple tabs still respect the browser.tabs.warnOnClose preference.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Aquila posted:

Yeah, here's my current firefox options and the message I get. I tried a reset and after making sure to uncheck the close multiple tabs warning option I got the same result (without changing anything else).

Pre-emptive yes I love the way my firefox looks and will never change it.

Edit: Oops, I lost all my adblock plus and noscript settings :( any chance they were backed up? I should have been more careful.

The original profile should have been put into a folder on your desktop called "Old Firefox Profile" or some such thing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I haven't done enough Firefoxposting recently, so have some cool stuff:

HTTP Pipelining is now strongly recommended

HTTP pipelining allows the browser to have multiple requests to a server "in flight" at the same time per-connection, improving efficiency and reducing page load times. It may take a bit before it gets enabled by default, but HTTP pipelining support in browsers and servers has matured to the point where it no longer causes issues and is basically a guaranteed performance win. All other browsers have it enabled by default, and it's now recommended that users toggle the setting manually for improved performance until the default change is made. Go to about :config and set the following values:

network.http.pipelining to true
network.http.pipelining.ssl to true
network.http.pipelining.aggressive to true

The final setting is optional but important, as it significantly increases the percentage of requests that are pipelined. If an error is encountered the browser will still fall back to not using pipelining, so this shouldn't break anything (a small number of websites do load more slowly, such as About.com). Benjamin Kerensa has a blog post here with details, and a second here with benchmarks.

Significant UI responsiveness improvements are coming in Firefox 19

Read more at Taras Glek's Snappy Blog.

Shumway replaces the Adobe Flash plugin

Mozilla has announced the Shumway project, developing a replacement/alternative for the Adobe Flash plugin that is written in JavaScript. There's two obvious applications for this: Much like PDF.js replaced the Adobe Reader plugin, Shumway can be used in the browser to play Flash applets/movies without needing to install the Flash plugin. Alternatively, it could be embedded in web pages and used to do the same without anyone needing a Flash plugin on any browser/platform. This is especially important now that Flash is no longer supported on mobile devices.

You can play with some Shumway examples here in Firefox 17 or later. Expect bugs and poor performance.

There have also been some recent improvements in Emscripten, which is a tool that compiles C or C++ to JavaScript for execution in the browser. It generates code that is often significantly faster than the best hand-optimized ports, meaning that you can do work that would previously have required native code in a browser (with a decent JS engine, such as Chrome or Firefox).

Alereon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 14, 2012

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

HTTP Pipelining is now strongly recommended

HTTP pipelining allows the browser to have multiple requests to a server "in flight" at the same time per-connection, improving efficiency and reducing page load times. It may take a bit before it gets enabled by default, but HTTP pipelining support in browsers and servers has matured to the point where it no longer causes issues and is basically a guaranteed performance win. All other browsers have it enabled by default, and it's now recommended that users toggle the setting manually for improved performance until the default change is made. Go to about :config and set the following values:

network.http.pipelining to true
network.http.pipelining.ssl to true
network.http.pipelining.aggressive to true

The final setting is optional but important, as it significantly increases the percentage of requests that are pipelined. If an error is encountered the browser will still fall back to not using pipelining, so this shouldn't break anything (a small number of websites do load more slowly, such as About.com). Benjamin Kerensa has a blog post here with details, and a second here with benchmarks.

I wouldn't cite Ben Kerensa's blog there. His 'benchmarks' involve accessing google.com five times with pipelining enabled and five times with pipelining disabled. It doesn't show results from any other websites, and with such a small sample size there are hardly even enough 'trials' to make any reasonable conclusions - even regarding accessing google with pipelining. As much was noted in the bugzilla bug to enable it by default. A slightly more rigorous comparison was posted in the comments to Ben's blog. Those two are a bit of a better read, I'd say.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Loading Google is going to use SPDY anyway, I don't see how HTTP pipelining would even be relevant.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've had a shitload of different tabs open in different windows when a power outage hit. When power came back and I selected "Restore previous session", only a single tab was restored for some reason. Is there anything to be done? I had a bunch of more or less important stuff in those tabs, but I can't really remember it all well enough to get it back manually.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I've had a shitload of different tabs open in different windows when a power outage hit. When power came back and I selected "Restore previous session", only a single tab was restored for some reason. Is there anything to be done? I had a bunch of more or less important stuff in those tabs, but I can't really remember it all well enough to get it back manually.

Sounds like it hadn't cached the open tabs before the power cut. Go into the History window (Firefox menu>History>Show All History on Windows,) and your last visited tabs will hopefully be at the top of the list if you sort them by Visit Date.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Your session from the previous time you closed Firefox is saved as sessionstore.bak in your profile directory. If you haven't started firefox twice since then, you can delete the current sessionstore.js and rename the .bak to .js (and copy off both somewhere else before you start messing with them, in case you screw up...)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zhentar posted:

Your session from the previous time you closed Firefox is saved as sessionstore.bak in your profile directory.
I couldn't find it in programs\firefox, and search-all files and folders couldn't find it at all :(

Anything else I could do?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xander77 posted:

I couldn't find it in programs\firefox, and search-all files and folders couldn't find it at all :(

Anything else I could do?
You need to look in c:/Users/<yourname>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/profiles/<random profile folder name>

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/session-manager/ precisely to avoid these situations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

wooger posted:

You need to look in c:/Users/<yourname>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/profiles/<random profile folder name>
I'm running xp, so I'm assuming that changes things (since C:\ apparently doesn't have an appdate folder at all, at least not one that Search can fine)?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Xander77 posted:

I'm running xp, so I'm assuming that changes things (since C:\ apparently doesn't have an appdate folder at all, at least not one that Search can fine)?
You can use the %appdata% environment variable to find your application data path. You can just enter %appdata% in places like Explorer or the run menu to bring it up. In Windows XP, %appdata% should point to C:\Documents and Settings\{Username}\Application Data by default.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Go to the Help menu, Troubleshooting, click the Show Folder button, that opens your profile folder regardless of which OS you're running.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

My computer is currently in a new residence that doesn't have an internet connection, so I can't check the tips above.

I'm using my laptop to browse at various free wi-fi spots, and have a new problem:
Flash/youtube stuff doesn't work on firefox. Everything works fine on ie, but not on mozilla. I tried reinstalling flash, but that didn't help, and that's where I ran out of ideas.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Xander77 posted:

My computer is currently in a new residence that doesn't have an internet connection, so I can't check the tips above.

I'm using my laptop to browse at various free wi-fi spots, and have a new problem:
Flash/youtube stuff doesn't work on firefox. Everything works fine on ie, but not on mozilla. I tried reinstalling flash, but that didn't help, and that's where I ran out of ideas.
Uninstall all Flash plugins through control panel, reboot, reinstall latest Flash plug-in downloaded through Firefox. If that doesn't do it, use the Reset Firefox functionality from about :support (this makes a new profile and reimports user data, but not extensions or extension settings).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tried both, and all I get is the "an error occurred" message for every flash file.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I upgraded from 16 to 17 and it completely broke the scrolling action.

Before Firefox scrolled maybe 1/5 of the page, after the patch it's like 1/50. I need to scroll the gently caress out of my mousewheel to get anywhere. I did absolutely nothing else, just the upgrade. In about:config I have:

mousewheel.withnokey.numlines 16

So it should move the page a lot. Any idea what might cause the problem? I don't want to move back to FF16 unless this is some kind of bug they aren't going to fix until 18.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's not a bug with 17 since I don't have what you have, so it's on your end. No clue how to fix something like that in the about:config, but creating a new profile will surly fix it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Tried both, and all I get is the "an error occurred" message for every flash file.

Try uninstalling Flash using Revo Uninstaller. A few times when I've had problems with a plugin or program's remnants, that's solved the problem.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Welp, first problem I've ever had with Firefox in years. I'm unable to open the add-on manager, Tools > Add-on or Shift+Ctrl+A doesn't do anything. I just updated to FF 17 like an hour ago, I assume this is just me or are you guys also experiencing this as well?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Welp, first problem I've ever had with Firefox in years. I'm unable to open the add-on manager, Tools > Add-on or Shift+Ctrl+A doesn't do anything. I just updated to FF 17 like an hour ago, I assume this is just me or are you guys also experiencing this as well?

Just did a fresh install of FF17 and I'm not experiencing this.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Im_Special posted:

Try putting about :addons in the address bar? (Without the space; the forum inserts that automatically.)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

m2pt5 posted:

Try putting about :addons in the address bar? (Without the space; the forum inserts that automatically.)

This works, it also works when I try it on a blank tab, I've tried FF with add-on's disabled and everything works fine, so I'm just going to give it a day or 2 to see if some of my add-on's get updated, like no-script or add blocker plus.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Im_Special posted:

It's not a bug with 17 since I don't have what you have, so it's on your end. No clue how to fix something like that in the about :config, but creating a new profile will surly fix it.

I have zero motivation to figure out whatever causes the problem, less to tinker with my profile files. I went back to 16 and will assume it's the fault of the new version for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oh hey, so I figured out what was causing this issue, Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3, disabling that single add-on fixes everything, so yeah just waiting on that update I guess.