Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Cross-posting from the Awsome AI Stuff thread, because I forgot this was here.
I got to drive a Ferrari F430 around a track yesterday. I had never driven on a track before, and never driven any kind of performance car, so I was a little nervous it was going to get away from me. I was very, very slow, but I thought I managed the turns fairly smoothly. The sound out of that car is just amazing. It was one of those pay for 3 laps kind of things, at Blackhawk Farms in S. Beloit, IL. They also had a Porsche, an Audi R8 and a Lamborghini LP540 Performante. Here's the video if you want to cringe at my complete lack of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITKQHvQN51o

It was really fun in any case. I might try and take my E90 down there when they have track days just so I can learn how to drive better.
I was also thinking of trying to find a Lemons/chumpcar team near me looking for eager but marginally skilled help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blooot posted:

If you get the chance to run Thunderhill in reverse, do it!

It's been too long since we've seen this little guy, Blooot. :3:

It still looks great. I wish I lived in California.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Funzo posted:

It was really fun in any case. I might try and take my E90 down there when they have track days just so I can learn how to drive better.
I was also thinking of trying to find a Lemons/chumpcar team near me looking for eager but marginally skilled help.

Congrats on the first time. Beware you have caught a very expensive bug.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Funzo posted:

Cross-posting from the Awsome AI Stuff thread, because I forgot this was here.
I got to drive a Ferrari F430 around a track yesterday. I had never driven on a track before, and never driven any kind of performance car, so I was a little nervous it was going to get away from me. I was very, very slow, but I thought I managed the turns fairly smoothly. The sound out of that car is just amazing. It was one of those pay for 3 laps kind of things, at Blackhawk Farms in S. Beloit, IL. They also had a Porsche, an Audi R8 and a Lamborghini LP540 Performante. Here's the video if you want to cringe at my complete lack of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITKQHvQN51o

Blackhawk Farms is a fun course, but can be dangerous if you go off of course due to trees. I've ran a 1:30 on semi-decent street tires on my mustang cobra at blackhawk. Turn 7 can be real nasty.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

FatCow posted:

Empty your bowels beforehand. Lots of lights and angle them out to find apexes. Turn your mirrors away from your face, they are useless except to completely blind you. Also if you're doing Chump/Lemons get the HID lights or just sit out the night.

Everything looks like this:

Until it looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8wyYNhCnw

Ok so the camera makes it darker than it really was but yes finding breaking and turn-in points was a challenge at times

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 31, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How do you guys feel out the effects of suspension setting changes? I remember before I took the vette to its first track day, I went to a shop where the mechanics were racers and asked for an alignment that'd be aggressive for the street but slightly better for track driving.

Driving from the shop, at normal street speeds, I could only pick up a tiny amount of difference in behavior, despite quite a few corrections to toe. If I don't have a data acquisition system and I don't drive all the same corners (like at a track) all the time, how hard do I have to drive a car to pick up on the effects of changes in settings? Put another way, does having lots of experience make you more sensitive?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kimbo305 posted:

Driving from the shop, at normal street speeds, I could only pick up a tiny amount of difference in behavior, despite quite a few corrections to toe. If I don't have a data acquisition system and I don't drive all the same corners (like at a track) all the time, how hard do I have to drive a car to pick up on the effects of changes in settings? Put another way, does having lots of experience make you more sensitive?

I noticed I could feel small changes to the way the car felt once I had enough experience to drive consistently. Having more experience will also tell you how that change should change the handling of the car so you might be looking for it more if that makes sense.

Toe change, especially if dramatic, will show up pretty easily and more at the track.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Its also extremely important to isolate changes and do one thing at a time; however, being at a track and doing a trackside alignment job might be out of the picture.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Any SoCal peeps be interested in a track day this Sat or Sun at Autoclub Speedway?

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=391

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

aventari posted:

Any SoCal peeps be interested in a track day this Sat or Sun at Autoclub Speedway?

I still only got 3,000 miles on my car lol. I might do Autocross but ehhhh.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

aventari posted:

I know some people doing that, but I still have oil leaks to chase down.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

aventari posted:

Can I tempt you with Infineon on 11/17 for the low low price of $199, an excellent value (mixed group is not yet sold out :getin:)

link: http://trackmasters-racing.com/inde...20%20%20%0Aurle

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Ugh, jerks out west. Our race season is pretty much over/winding down out here on the East Coast.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Admirable Gusto posted:

Can I tempt you with Infineon on 11/17 for the low low price of $199, an excellent value (mixed group is not yet sold out :getin:)

link: http://trackmasters-racing.com/inde...20%20%20%0Aurle

I would sorely tempted if it wasn't 500 miles and 9 hours away :)

That's the worst thing about San Diego, no tracks less than 1.5 hours away

Gonna make the trek to Laguna Seca next year no matter what though

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Infineon is one of my least favorite tracks in iRacing. Do you only ever see half of the track in real life?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well Chump Car has officially corrupted my family. I bought a Miata two days after I got back to Tennessee, it will be built to spec Miata rules.

Dad has some work in Illinois so he is driving from there to NC to look at this track prepped E30 M3:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

that is hottt

Be careful with that motor though, it's an expensive piece of hardware. (pan baffle, crank scraper, accusump, etc)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
This is video from my race on Sunday at Buttonwillow with NASA. The race director decided to invert the field after qualifying, so despite outqualifying the PTE field by 1+ seconds, I was at the back, behind a bunch of rotary-powered Rx7s (and an Rx3 at the front), all of whom make way more power than I am allowed to.

Needless to say, the first ~15 minutes are pretty drat fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MagKQvtdsI

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you allowed to run knobby tires in NASA?

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
I applaud your patience. The combo of their late apexes and your better brakes could have gotten ugly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good driving. What's in that Miata? I particularly like the interior side mirrors.

I love when the FB RX7 and the RX3 are hanging out next to each other having a bee-noise contest. :3:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Awesome video, that looks like it was a lot of fun

edit: really impressive driving, I like when the E30 2 cars ahead of you almost lost it at Magic Mountain/Phil Hill

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 14, 2012

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Savington posted:

This is video from my race on Sunday at Buttonwillow with NASA.

Dope video, pretty intense. The near miss at the 6 minute mark made me flinch.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good driving. What's in that Miata? I particularly like the interior side mirrors.

It's a junkyard 01+ VVT motor with a full exhaust, AEM EMS, and a few other small mods. Suspension is XIDA Clubsport, wheels/tires are 15x9 6ULs and 205/50 Hoosier R6s. Built specifically for NASA PTE and WERC E3 (endurance racing).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Do you still have the silly fast black turbo car? Great video.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

aventari posted:

that is hottt

Be careful with that motor though, it's an expensive piece of hardware. (pan baffle, crank scraper, accusump, etc)

He may end up pulling the S14 and keeping it as a spare for his street/show E30 M3 (yes he has the best garage) and putting in a S52 E36 M3 motor.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Turn 10 at Sears Point claimed another car today. Moment of silence please for the bright red Evo X in the picture, fallen victim to the treacherous conditions (light drizzle, standing water, dirt on the track from other off-road excursions, possibly the remnants of the oil + kitty litter from earlier in the day when some dude in a 911 blew a hose at turn 3 and just kept loving driving why hello 13 quarts of oil what pretty patterns you make on the already wet track)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Admirable Gusto posted:

kitty litter from earlier in the day when some dude in a 911 blew a hose at turn 3 and just kept loving driving why hello 13 quarts of oil what pretty patterns you make on the already wet track)[/i]

As a race flagger(I am for too poor to actually race.) this kind of stuff is very annoying. That and crossing over the entire track to exit the tarmac when you realize you have a leak.

That being said, it is still better than the guy a few years ago who decided to park his Esprit on a short straight, then proceed to exit the car onto a hot track, and start working on his engine. We had to black flag all, and when he came in, he didn't understand why what he did was wrong.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Savington posted:

It's a junkyard 01+ VVT motor with a full exhaust, AEM EMS, and a few other small mods. Suspension is XIDA Clubsport, wheels/tires are 15x9 6ULs and 205/50 Hoosier R6s. Built specifically for NASA PTE and WERC E3 (endurance racing).

Curious, 205's on a 9" wheel? I'm guessing that's to maximize contact patch with the tire being as wide as you're allowed in classing rules?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A 205 R6 has an 8" wide tread, where the average all season in that size is only about 6.5, so it's not actually that much of a stretch.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

A 205 R6 has an 8" wide tread, where the average all season in that size is only about 6.5, so it's not actually that much of a stretch.

That makes sense. Kinda makes things difficult when trying to compare tires - apparently star specs have a 7.4" tread width, RE-11's are 7.6", and no 205/50/15's are showing up for all seasons on tire rack. Few guys at autocross running 225/45/15 RS-3's (8" tread width) on 15x9's, and it doesn't look really stretched.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I run a 225 Hankook Z214 on a 15x9 and it's a bit stretched. The rim is what lays on the ground but just barely.

What's everyone's plans for the winter? I need to figure out my horrific miss and might actually finish vinyl wrapping the car. Some other minor things like adding a real oil pressure gauge and possibly data acq might happen if I can fix the miss somewhat early.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

So I'm doing this track day on the 16th Sunday, it may rain a bit but that just means a lot of drifting :)

quote:

$90 Track day at Willow Springs- Streets of Willow- Dec 15-16-Socal
Extremespeedtrackevents will be at Willow Springs -Streets of Willow Race Course
in SoCal-
December 15-16 for a track day,Special track day price of only $90 for a FULL TRACK DAY
DISCOUNT CODE IS ( sow9 )
Any Questions email sung@extremespeedtrackevents.com
Register here- https://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com
Must register before Dec 15th

Free timing for all drivers
Free Basic on track instruction for beginners
Free Lunch for all drivers

I'll be there with my E30, my brother will be driving his drift car, a JDM 180sx with SR20det

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

aventari posted:

So I'm doing this track day on the 16th Sunday, it may rain a bit but that just means a lot of drifting :)

I'll be there with my E30, my brother will be driving his drift car, a JDM 180sx with SR20det

This weekend, drat...

How do they run theirs? Speed ventures has color coded classes, do they work similarly?

General question: If your car is brand new, what do you really need to bring to a track day? Brake fluid and pads and tools to change those?

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 11, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
drat you Kkkalifornia and your year 'round race driving season!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Just did one last weekend at CMP East track. Was fun, instructor offered to solo certify me, I told him Id like to get a few more DE events under my belt first (this was my 3rd event).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXAXrf26_SM
A friend has issues with his car. He was told the brakes he bought could hold up, but in 1 25min session they (last run of the day) they went from 50% tread life to metal on metal. Pulling off the track he also had a axle seal pop out and drain the transmission. We had a fun evening putting it back together and limping it back home.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Octopus Magic posted:

drat you Kkkalifornia and your year 'round race driving season!

Here in WI we have year 'round race driving as well.
$20 for the day!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Bumming Your Scene posted:

General question: If your car is brand new, what do you really need to bring to a track day? Brake fluid and pads and tools to change those?

That would be my bare minimum, plus a quart or two of engine oil, a tire gauge, and painter's tape for numbers and headlights.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

How do they run theirs? Speed ventures has color coded classes, do they work similarly?

Yeah same setup, color coded groups, beginner, intermediate, advanced, super-advanced

I actually prefer SpeedVentures, but these guys are cheap

What to bring for a new car, in addition to what was said, bring chairs, EZup, helmet, closed toed shoes, snacks, water, camera, paper towels and windex, air compressor or good bike tire pump for tires.. I could go on but I bring way too much because it's better than too little.

Now I trailer my car though, so if something happens like what happened to Sadi's friend I'm not totally hosed.

I did drive to the track for the last 9 years though and always made it back, but I did have to do some crazy repairs sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I've made it back on this motor:

x4

And this clutch (separate events)

I figured I used up a lifetime of luck and now tow.