Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

rscott posted:

It's a Renault Alliance.

When was the last time a Renault was sold in North America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Around the time that car was brand new.

YF19pilot posted:

No, I think it's the luggage rack. Hipsters and ricers are starting to put that on all their cars these days.

You're joking right? That's a pretty stock looking trunk rack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Saw this today. I think it belongs here.

I always knew used car prices were inflated in California, but this is ridiculous.

But it's a Toyota!

This kind of pricing is exactly why I've never owned a Toyota or Honda. Dealers seriously set this kind of pricing, and people think their shitbox is worth at least nearly that much, and drive the price of something with a T or H badge on it through the loving roof.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
..And still can't keep any on the lot. The last time I was looking for a car (2008) there were more or less zero Honda or Toyota available on used lots in the sub-10k price range.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Faerunner posted:

You're joking right? That's a pretty stock looking trunk rack.

:thejoke:

Actually what is sad, a lot of the cars of that vintage that have those trunk-lid luggage racks have them broken off. Granted, most of the cars of that vintage probably aren't running anymore, so there's that.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

OSI bean dip posted:

1992, but granted it was rebadged as the Eagle Premier/Dodge Monaco. Renault Badged cars eneded in 89.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
I saw an Eagle Premier today and I actually got a little excited.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

The Rocket Salad posted:

I saw an Eagle Premier today and I actually got a little excited.

My parents had one of those, most definitely fit into this thread. Was a pretty comfy car, but reliability was poo poo. It felt pretty zippy for only 150hp, though.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Saw this in Boston yesterday, does it go here?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
He better have whitewalls on the driver's side.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Kotaru posted:

I don't think she did

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's that alien from Star Trek.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

CharlesM posted:

It's that alien from Star Trek.

I thought it was the cookie from Seinfeld.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kotaru posted:

I wish I were clever enough to have come with that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

rscott posted:

It's a Renault Alliance.

Ugh. I re-valved the head on one of these around 1991 for a co-worker after the timing belt failed with 44K on the clock. The loving distributor cap was glued on and could not be removed without breaking it off. And a replacement was $52 at NAPA at a time when I was paying $8 for a cap for my 73 Electra.

YF19pilot posted:

No, I think it's the luggage rack. Hipsters and ricers are starting to put that on all their cars these days.

That's a factory rack since the trunk couldn't hold crap with the top down

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah my dad had a 4 door one for a little while in the early 90s and it was an unreliable piece of poo poo. It was horrifically slow even by the standards of late 80s econoboxes.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Orange you glad I didn't paint the bumper orange?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
That merc should be in a Batman movie driven by Twoface.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Kill-9 posted:

Orange you glad I didn't paint the bumper orange?

"Rear visibility, what's that?"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The best part about the orange car is how well it matches the road work sign.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Linedance posted:

maybe it's meant to read '88 4 $988??

Nope!

Quality.

I would expect something like that at a "Buy Here Pay Here" lot but I'm really impressed at the gall of a normal dealer listing that, and saying they are giving you a $2k price break!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Does that come with an extra bottle of brake fluid to make the rest of the car match the hood? :downs:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

So supposedly it's worth that much money because it only has 86k on the odometer.

Judging by how lovely that car looks on the surface, I can't imagine it's been a very kind 86k or that it's been taken care of at all.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Six years ago, I had an '87 Corolla (Nova) almost exactly like that one. It was one of 4-5 cars I owned at the time, so when it got impounded for expired tags, I told the impound lot they can just keep it because I figured the car wasn't worth the $200 impound fee. I guess I was wrong about that.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
There is a dealership in Louisiana that's selling a stock 86-88 Honda Civic for almost $8,000. I head that way in the next few days. I'll snap a few pics for everyone.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I left a message because I am a sad, sad person:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Measly Twerp posted:

I left a message because I am a sad, sad person:

Why did you touch the poop?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope!

I would expect something like that at a "Buy Here Pay Here" lot but I'm really impressed at the gall of a normal dealer listing that, and saying they are giving you a $2k price break!

I had a 1997 Corolla with 160k on it and minor rear end damage that my dad (I am ~abroad~ at the moment) sold for almost $2000 and I laughed pretty hard at the schmuck who paid that. How much money are you really saving in gas?

Alternate suggestion: maybe that is the price in zimbabwean dollars.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I used to drive a mkiii jetta which I got rid of at 170k miles because it was nickel and dime-ing me to death with typical VW poo poo, and the output seal in the tranny was shot and leaking gear oil. I got $500 from some mexican kid whose buddy owned a shop.

My best friend had the same car, except he had been running lovely rear end low-pro tires on some stupid rims, had 200k on his and struts that had been blown for 5+ years that made it bounce around so bad on the freeway that it was downright dangerous.

He sold that jetta for $2200 to some dad that was buying a car for his son (and he sold it with steelies on it, not the rims). Part of me is pissed that I didn't get more for mine, but then I just imagine the kid that bought my friend's going over his first pothole on the interstate and bouncing into the median.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FIRST TIME posted:

So supposedly it's worth that much money because it only has 86k on the odometer.

Judging by how lovely that car looks on the surface, I can't imagine it's been a very kind 86k or that it's been taken care of at all.

Is it possible that it got rolled over and the right mileage is 186k? I guess that would get caught by the inspection records.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not sure if this is awesome or horrible or what. Pretty sure it's horrible.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/3377685959.html

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Considering the base car I think it's pretty awesome. I'm also really bummed I'm not back in the US for a couple months or I'd be all over that for a Lemons entry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope!

Quality.

Have fun getting that thing to smog check right. If it was an FX16 it might be worth something.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure that VIN is wrong.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 14, 2012

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope!

Quality.

This is *maybe* a $1000 dollar car in Australia, and everything here is at least twice the price of everything there. Here is one that looks like about the same. More mileage on it, and I would prefer a manual in one of those but I would 100% drive that for puttering down to the supermarket.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Annoyingly I read it in a burger joint's magazine, but I'll try to get a phone photo if it's still there next time.

Somebody had taken an Audi A1 and stapled gigantic Porsche brakes on the front (but left regular donut sized A1 brakes on the rear), with the wheels of a Cayenne (centercap badges still original) and painted in one of the Lamborghini oranges.

The effect was uh, interesting, I suppose.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Couldn't get a picture of it but as I was driving I overtook an Mitsubishi Delica that the owner had attached a coffee tin can complete with pop up lid still attached with a metal tube sticking out of it.

It was horribly painted a really light gray, but the best part was it was mounted on the opposite side of the vehicle to the stock exhaust which was still plain to see.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

CharlesM posted:

Have fun getting that thing to smog check right. If it was an FX16 it might be worth something.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure that VIN is wrong.

Yeah, they put an 'O' in the VIN instead of a '0'. Otherwise, it's correct for that vehicle (VIN decoders says it's correct for a Corolla FX).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You're right. VINs don't use O(h). Funny that Carfax doesn't correct for that!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Not pictured: the diamond plate hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Memento1979 posted:

This is *maybe* a $1000 dollar car in Australia, and everything here is at least twice the price of everything there. Here is one that looks like about the same. More mileage on it, and I would prefer a manual in one of those but I would 100% drive that for puttering down to the supermarket.

Corollas are really weird in New Zealand - you seem to be able to pay $2000-3000 and get an E8x, E9x, E10x or E11x. No idea why you'd get one of the 80s models when a late 90s one is in the same general price bracket (and much less likely to be rusted in half)