Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
Is there a simple piece of Win7 software that adds the expose (f3) and expose+show desktop (f3+cmd) features of OSX? I Googled around and saw people mention Switcher, but it looks pretty budget and hasn't been updated for 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Before someone actually gives you what you want, you know Win+D toggles to and from the desktop right? Alt+Tab gives a slightly expose-ish overview, only very small - you can use Win+Tab for a bigger gimmicky view, but you can scroll through with the mousewheel and click any window to bring it to the front. Not exactly the same thing at all, but it might be enough for you.

I'm kinda assuming you're coming from a Mac here, so sorry if I just described the most obvious poo poo ever

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

baka kaba posted:

Before someone actually gives you what you want, you know Win+D toggles to and from the desktop right? Alt+Tab gives a slightly expose-ish overview, only very small - you can use Win+Tab for a bigger gimmicky view, but you can scroll through with the mousewheel and click any window to bring it to the front. Not exactly the same thing at all, but it might be enough for you.

Win+Space makes all active windows transparent, letting you see everything on the desktop (including gadgets) until you release Win.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Win+Space makes all active windows transparent, letting you see everything on the desktop (including gadgets) until you release Win.

Not on Windows 8 - it gives you a keyboard switcher.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

m2pt5 posted:

Ohhhh, it's like hovering over the Show Desktop hotspot in the corner. That's pretty sweet. Throw in Win+M and you can tell Microsoft really loves that desktop

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

The post I was replying to was replying to a post asking about Win7.

I know nothing about Win8 because I'm perfectly happy with 7.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

baka kaba posted:

I'm kinda assuming you're coming from a Mac here, so sorry if I just described the most obvious poo poo ever

Win+Tab, yes, but I hate it. Win+D... I had no idea. That's actually pretty close since it toggles back. Thanks much! There are times I'd like to grab something from the desktop but hate having to minimize 50 programs to find it. Win+Space would be nice, but you can't hold it and interact with anything. Bummer.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sri.Theo posted:

Win+, on Windows 8

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tk posted:

Not sure if you don't like it for some other reason, but MetroTwit definitely does streaming.

I installed MetroTwit on my Windows 8 laptop and it worked fine at first, but now it just says that I'm stream-locked and can't load any more tweets or something like that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb question, but does Internet Explorer 9 'prefer' a recent cached / temporary version of a webpage?

If I browse my company's FTP in IE in a remote connection on a customer's machine I see "outdated" contents. But when I browse the FTP in Chrome it shows the proper contents of the FTP server.

Basically, what I mean is in the remote connection on IE I see
softwareVersion1.9.2
updater.xml

In Chrome on my actual machine it shows:
softwareVersion1.9.3
updater.xml

The remote connection takes a while to 'refresh' and properly show whats on the FTP.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a dual monitor setup like this: TV | Monitor (Primary Desktop)

When I use Windows + P to switch displays, it's backwards, as in, "Computer Only" is the TV display and "Projector Only" is the monitor. Is there a way to correct this behavior in the ATI drivers?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I got a used laptop with Windows 7 and every time I try to copy anything, it pops up with a box asking for administrator privileges and it's getting pretty annoying. And when I open text files, edit them and save them again, it only lets me save a copy of the file in My Documents unless I specifically open notepad as an administrator and this is pissing me off.

How do I fix these things?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Boz0r posted:

I got a used laptop with Windows 7 and every time I try to copy anything, it pops up with a box asking for administrator privileges and it's getting pretty annoying. And when I open text files, edit them and save them again, it only lets me save a copy of the file in My Documents unless I specifically open notepad as an administrator and this is pissing me off.

It's called UAC and it's protecting your computer. You shouldn't turn it off. DO NOT TURN IT OFF.

But if you need to, it's under Control Panel (view by small icons) > Users > "Change User Account Control settings"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Change your account to an administrator, and turn UAC down one notch (basically just requests confirmation).

As stated, UAC (though not explicitly created for security) is covering your rear end by requiring an extra layer of action in order to edit any files not contained in user directories.

If the files you're editing often are not in your normal libraries, you can create a separate library and include the folder that contains those files. If you own those files, that will stop UAC from interrupting when you need to edit them.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
A long time ago I was working for a company that was using boot level encryption that worked in tandem with windows authentication so you didn't have to authenticate at the pre-boot level ala Truecrypt but you still got all the same protection.

If you didn't know your windows password or typed it wrong more than a few times it would restart the computer and send you to the softwares pre-boot unlock page.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was really nice for executives that whined about putting in more than one password at startup.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Thanks for the UAC tips. The files I edit are configuration files for applications in the Program Files directories. If I edit them and just try to save them at the same place it just gives me an Access Denied error. I have to save it to My Documents and then move it over to the correct place.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Boz0r posted:

It would be easier to help you if you gave a more specific example than "every time" you copy "anything" this happens.

With my psychic beanie hat on I'm going to guess that you're trying to edit/copy files in directories your user account doesn't have permission to write to, (like your hosts file, or a config file somewhere in Program Files).

The superior solution to turning off UAC, which is dumb, is to identify the file or folder you want to copy things to/save to, and grant your user account write privileges there. You can do this by going to the Security tab of the file/folder properties, hitting 'Edit' for YOURCOMPUTER\YourUserName, and ticking on "Full Control" in the lower pane.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Boz0r posted:

Thanks for the UAC tips. The files I edit are configuration files for applications in the Program Files directories. If I edit them and just try to save them at the same place it just gives me an Access Denied error. I have to save it to My Documents and then move it over to the correct place.

You can actually put those files in the VirtualStore folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore) using the path to the program files directory and it will use that configuration over the one in program files. Actually, you should get to know this folder anyway because if something doesn't have permission to write somewhere in program files, it will write it there instead.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Factor Mystic posted:

With my psychic beanie hat on I'm going to guess that you're trying to edit/copy files in directories your user account..
No, no, it's really, literally "every time," as any seasoned IT worker will know.

quote:

configuration files for applications in the Program Files directories

Ah.. clarity.

Three or four percent of, ehem, 'every time' equates to total panic.

If this is inaccurate, my apologies, Boz0r... there is something seriously with your system (like, "anytime" serious).

Edit: Nope, functioning as intended.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 14, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to pretend to spoof an Android or iOS user agent in Windows?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Honestly, it's not worth the risk.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

hooah posted:

Is there any way to pretend to spoof an Android or iOS user agent in Windows?

If you're using Firefox (probably Chrome/Opera as well), there are multiple extensions that can change your user agent string. It's finding the exact string you want to change it to that can be tricky.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Honestly, it's not worth the risk.

How is there any risk to spoofing your user agent?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

It would be easier to help you if you gave a more specific example than "every time" you copy "anything" this happens.

With my psychic beanie hat on I'm going to guess that you're trying to edit/copy files in directories your user account doesn't have permission to write to, (like your hosts file, or a config file somewhere in Program Files).

The superior solution to turning off UAC, which is dumb, is to identify the file or folder you want to copy things to/save to, and grant your user account write privileges there. You can do this by going to the Security tab of the file/folder properties, hitting 'Edit' for YOURCOMPUTER\YourUserName, and ticking on "Full Control" in the lower pane.
While you're correct, it's also such a huge PITA that I run with UAC completely off. I run a lot of programs and edit files that are in "illegal" locations, and I simply don't want to deal with that prompt and having to re-save and copy every time. Another big annoyance is also that if you set a program to startup with Windows, and it's not "properly" installed according to Windows specs (for example, has its configuration file in a .ini file in the program directory), the program simply doesn't start; no warning nor prompt.

UAC makes sense, but consider that you're sitting on your home computer, of zero interest to hackers apart from maybe your RPG gold, and with probably no intellectual or monetarian value on it. There's such a thing as going too far, with all the hassle it entails. You could also install a fingerprint reader in your car and tie it to a lamppost with a cable thick enough to hold a ship every time you park it, but who wants to. :effort: :iiaca:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's a good thing malware only targets high-profile systems.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Can anyone decipher the Microsoft Office 2010 licensing scheme? I need to buy about 7 copies on the cheap. 4 copies will reside in the same physical location, whereas the other 3 copies will be at three different locations. I need at least 2 copies of 'Home and Business' for Outlook.

Home and Student: "1 Household / 3 PCs" - do they actually care if all activations are from the same IP?

Home and Business: "1 User / 2 PCs" - how do they know/enforce the 'same user' bit? I've seen them say for Home and Business has is ostensibly for 1 home PC and 1 portable PC, but surely they don't actually care if it's two regular PCs?

I was going to buy 1 copy of Home and Student (1x3 'installs'), and 2 copies for Home and Business (2x2 'installs'). But I don't want to be caught in some ridiculously constricting licensing scheme with them.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

mik posted:

Can anyone decipher the Microsoft Office 2010 licensing scheme? I need to buy about 7 copies on the cheap. 4 copies will reside in the same physical location, whereas the other 3 copies will be at three different locations. I need at least 2 copies of 'Home and Business' for Outlook.

Have you looked at Office 365? I'm using it on multiple devices with multiple users and it runs like a top.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Pilsner posted:

While you're correct, it's also such a huge PITA that I run with UAC completely off. I run a lot of programs and edit files that are in "illegal" locations, and I simply don't want to deal with that prompt and having to re-save and copy every time. Another big annoyance is also that if you set a program to startup with Windows, and it's not "properly" installed according to Windows specs (for example, has its configuration file in a .ini file in the program directory), the program simply doesn't start; no warning nor prompt.

UAC makes sense, but consider that you're sitting on your home computer, of zero interest to hackers apart from maybe your RPG gold, and with probably no intellectual or monetarian value on it. There's such a thing as going too far, with all the hassle it entails. You could also install a fingerprint reader in your car and tie it to a lamppost with a cable thick enough to hold a ship every time you park it, but who wants to. :effort: :iiaca:

Set up admin-notepad as a context-menu item.
Also, please do remember: WoW accounts are more valuable than credit cards to bad people.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mik posted:

Home and Student: "1 Household / 3 PCs" - do they actually care if all activations are from the same IP?

Home and Business: "1 User / 2 PCs" - how do they know/enforce the 'same user' bit? I've seen them say for Home and Business has is ostensibly for 1 home PC and 1 portable PC, but surely they don't actually care if it's two regular PCs?

I was going to buy 1 copy of Home and Student (1x3 'installs'), and 2 copies for Home and Business (2x2 'installs'). But I don't want to be caught in some ridiculously constricting licensing scheme with them.

My purely uneducated gut feeling is that they simply let the key be valid for <100 ip address on the grounds that this be sufficient to stop a single key from being reused by hoardes of pirates and so is good enough for the home market

Anything for the business environment is going to be protected by audits, rather than really tight activation processes.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pilsner posted:

99% of malware isn't about getting your personal info, it's about adding your computer to a botnet, using it to send spam, or simply spreading the malware even further. The fact they you don't have anything interesting on the computer is irrelevant.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mik posted:

This is not something they enforce in the software but it IS something you can get burned on in a software audit. The basic rule with Microsoft is "if you did something the license agreement doesn't agree with and we find out you're in trouble," no matter how successful you are with multiple activations.

If you're a company with 7 devices used by different people you will need 7 copies, period. You basically have two options:

- Straight-up buying 7 copies. You can buy the version that only comes with a product key (no install media) and save $700.

- Subscribing to Office 365, which has some optional plans that include licenses for Office Professional Plus 2010; cost is something like $25 per user per month.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Is there any simple piece of software that i can use on a windows pc to take a photo using the webcam? i don't need any effects or anything, just need to use the camera

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

WorkingStiff posted:

Have you looked at Office 365? I'm using it on multiple devices with multiple users and it runs like a top.

O365 has been having some serious uptime issues lately, if the "A Ticket Came In..." and "poo poo you come across..." threads are to be believed.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Genderfluid posted:

Is there any simple piece of software that i can use on a windows pc to take a photo using the webcam? i don't need any effects or anything, just need to use the camera
Most any decent camera will have software along with drivers to take pictures. Didn't yours come with any? What make and model? If it's a one-off deal and you aren't crazy paranoid there's Cameroid.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ragehaver posted:

Is there a simple piece of Win7 software that adds the expose (f3) and expose+show desktop (f3+cmd) features of OSX? I Googled around and saw people mention Switcher, but it looks pretty budget and hasn't been updated for 4 years.

Switcher

http://insentient.net/

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
I have 2 monitors (same resolution) on my work computer and want to set up some form of mouse barrier between them. However all my work is done through RDP to a VDI.

I tried ddmm which should do pretty much what I want, but doesn't seem to work at all over RDP.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pilsner posted:

As already mentioned malware doesn't wan't the poo poo off your computer, it just wants to use your computer as part of a botnet.

But anyway, to run programs on startup that require admin rights, set up a scheduled task to run them on startup or login or whatever with admin rights.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Ok, just set up a new system with Win 7... and poo poo is hosed.

I had two partitions on that drive, C and D. C was system (XP), D data. So when I start the install procedure, I decide to format C, since it only contains system stuff I don't need anymore.

Fine. Great. Everything works flawlessly, until I boot into Win 7 and realise half the stuff on D is missing. Not missing. It's basically a snapshot of that partition from 2010. WTF happened?! Is everything lost? :psypop:

EDIT: It's me. I'm the stupid guy. I plugged in the wrong hard drive. The one from 2010. Yep. :tipshat:

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 15, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Skydrive app got updated, you can now choose which folders to sync on each client so you don't have to download everything in your Skydrive folder when you set it up on a new PC. Sorely needed as this was a big regression from Live Mesh when it first came out.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
What free drive imaging software is there that can exclude folders from an image backup? I know Acronis can do this but I'd rather not have to rely on that because if I lose my license poo poo I'm hosed, I'd much rather rely on something free I can always get access to. Hopefully something with recovery media and one that can run on a schedule too and should be able to do it through Windows, too.

Tried Windows Backup and Macrium so far, neither can do it.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

If you register your Acronis license on their website you can always re-download the installer and any associated serials for any product you add past present or future. It's incredibly handy.