Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even beyond that there's silly overlap. Piers gets two sniper rifles for example. I'd rather not be lugging around ammo for two weapons that fill the same niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Other games ship with a manual. :v:

People keep saying this but games nowadays usually don't. It sucks yeah but it isn't like this is new. Only difference is RE6 didn't have as comprehensive a tutorial as most games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Len posted:

People keep saying this but games nowadays usually don't. It sucks yeah but it isn't like this is new. Only difference is RE6 didn't have as comprehensive a tutorial as most games.

Most still come with at least a damned disclaimer+Control layout pamphlet though. (Oh hey, they put the former on the inside of the cover).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

poptart_fairy posted:

Other games ship with a manual. :v:

It's 2012, people stopped reading those things a long time ago.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thievery posted:

It does work when you have tablets and I am 100% sure on this. The timing is just VERY strict, if you do it wrong you'll just eat a tablet.

Ah sorry about that, that would explain it. My timing must just suck then :downs:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Krad posted:

It's 2012, people stopped reading those things a long time ago.

The game does not teach you how to play it. At all. I had to learn how to play the game by watching loving Youtube.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bovineicide posted:

The game does not teach you how to play it. At all. I had to learn how to play the game by watching loving Youtube.

Even more than that, it resembles other games which play very differently. If you handed RE6 to a gamer who was unfamiliar with the RE series but knew Gears of War or whatever? They'd play it completely wrong because it resembles but is very distinct from those games. Even someone familiar with Dead Space would probably completely misunderstand how to play due to the huge emphasis on melee.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Going back to play RE5 again on the PC after Gold Edition on the PS3, it's so smooooooth :pcgaming:
I hope there is an announcement for RE6 soon.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
RE6 is currently $39.99 on amazon if you have any bum friends who didn't want to pay full price because the reviews were bad. :qq:

Wooph posted:

Going back to play RE5 again on the PC after Gold Edition on the PS3, it's so smooooooth :pcgaming:
I hope there is an announcement for RE6 soon.

It has a page in the Steam store, but it just says coming in 2013. Hopefully it will be as easy and fun to mess with as RE5 was.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Even more than that, it resembles other games which play very differently. If you handed RE6 to a gamer who was unfamiliar with the RE series but knew Gears of War or whatever? They'd play it completely wrong because it resembles but is very distinct from those games. Even someone familiar with Dead Space would probably completely misunderstand how to play due to the huge emphasis on melee.

This is me. I am that person. :psyduck:

Got around to starting the game and I just dropped into the sewers as Leon, but I'm confused as hell. Should I be trying to melee everything? Shoot it? Shoot it to set up melee like in RE4? But both approaches get my face eaten and then the healing system and then the dodging implies something and I have no idea if I should be jumping between campaigns or playing one at a time or or or or or

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

This is me. I am that person. :psyduck:

Got around to starting the game and I just dropped into the sewers as Leon, but I'm confused as hell. Should I be trying to melee everything? Shoot it? Shoot it to set up melee like in RE4? But both approaches get my face eaten and then the healing system and then the dodging implies something and I have no idea if I should be jumping between campaigns or playing one at a time or or or or or

Melee.

It's important to understand that melee is an option in almost every fight that isn't a boss fight or certain kinds of mini-bosses.

For zombies and J'avo, you want to be going for a headshot into a melee RE4 style. Your pistol is for stunning primarily and killing secondary. If you can't take the time to line up a shot you want to do a Quick Shot (aim + shoot at the same time.) This stuns the enemy and allows a weaker melee attack than if you stunned them manually. You can also counter attacks by pressing the melee button right before they hit you. Do not use regular melee (i.e: on non-stunned enemies) unless you have no other choice. Do not use melee recklessly since you have a stamina bar. This is unlikely to run out unless you're spamming melee attacks wildly but keep an eye on it.

For "elite" enemies they usually have a trick. The lizard-like J'avo, for example, are stunned by a slide attack. Right afterwards you can do a special QTE to do massive damage/kill them. You can also just shoot them but it's usually more effective to figure out the trick.

For bosses you want to set them up for melee attacks however you can. Most bosses have a melee option, either by doing enough damage to stun them or by tricking them into an environmental hazard. (Sometimes both!) This is the point where guns become the most useful for just shooting them, but you still want to focus on weak points. The difference between shooting a weak point and anywhere else is massive.

You are free to do campaigns however you want but it's generally good to just go through the entire thing instead of swapping. You'll otherwise be replaying the crossover segments fairly often.

Healing is straightforward when explained: Herbs now convert into tablets. Each tablet represents one bar of health. Higher level herbs create more tablets.
Green = 1
Green + Green = 3
Green + Green + Green = 6
Green + Red = 6.

Popping a tablet restores one block of health for each tablet you pop. Popping even one tablet instantly restores your stamina bar to full. You can mix herbs from the item menu, or do it automatically with a button combination. I recommend the item menu since you can access it during melee attack 'cutscenes' and the game will automatically select the proper herb mixture. (G+R over G+G.)

Never use a single green herb. It is never worth it, unlike previous REs. One tablet is nothing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 16, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poptart_fairy posted:

I have no idea if I should be jumping between campaigns or playing one at a time or or or or or

Play one all the way through, then be disappointed. Play another one, then be slightly less disappointed. Play the third one and be even less disappointed but still not totally thrilled.

Some story elements carry over between the campaigns but you won't get all of it by just playing one of them. Certain things are resolved in each. Some less interesting than others.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Play one all the way through, then be disappointed. Play another one, then be slightly less disappointed. Play the third one and be even less disappointed but still not totally thrilled.

I played through them one at a time and thought it was a fun game. Sure it wasn't quite as goofy as I wanted it to be but I wasn't overly disappointed with it.

Disclaimer: I didn't think Other M was that bad a game so my opinion probably isn't worth much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A game where one of the bosses is a centaur made of twisted flesh that shoots bones at you with its face then turns into a goddamned Tyrannosaurus wasn't goofy enough for you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

A game where one of the bosses is a centaur made of twisted flesh that shoots bones at you with its face then turns into a goddamned Tyrannosaurus wasn't goofy enough for you?

There were no bad guys wearing bathrobes or guys sitting in a security room watching footing in places it makes no sense for cameras to be not to mention the lack of boulders to punch.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

There were no bad guys wearing bathrobes or guys sitting in a security room watching footing in places it makes no sense for cameras to be not to mention the lack of boulders to punch.

This is actually a good point, and I demand Capcom give us ludicrous security room watchers DLC.

vvvvv Edit: I always uppercut that dude to death, then feel kinda bad about it.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 17, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

There was a j'avo taking a shower. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thanks man. With all that in mind I feel like the game's clicking in place - still getting into the rhythm of it (and enemies who leap without warning can go gently caress themselves), but I rampaged through the second half of chapter 1 by spin kicking and suplexing everything. The best game. :allears:

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I don't wanna spoil the very last thing of the game, so What's up with the end sequence of Ada's chapter? All the other end sequences were about the characters from the respective chapter, so I was pretty confused by it not being about her. Is Ada's final sequence just supposed to be the one before the credits and I were to see "Jake Muler having an apple in Arabia" as some kind of nice little secret thing I unlocked for finishing the game proper? Because I didn't really go "whoa!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pizzatime posted:

I don't wanna spoil the very last thing of the game, so What's up with the end sequence of Ada's chapter? All the other end sequences were about the characters from the respective chapter, so I was pretty confused by it not being about her. Is Ada's final sequence just supposed to be the one before the credits and I were to see "Jake Muler having an apple in Arabia" as some kind of nice little secret thing I unlocked for finishing the game proper? Because I didn't really go "whoa!"

Yeah, the Jake thing is just a final thing. In fact it will appear no matter which chapter you beat now.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the Jake thing is just a final thing. In fact it will appear no matter which chapter you beat now.

So is it just supposed to be something Capcom thought would be cool, or is it more of a "Look who's starring in RE7!" type thing?

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I think it's the latter, but they want you to figure it out yourself, so they're not going to say it is. They're just gonna wink at you when you bring it up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So hey, I just failed a QTE and got pushed head first into a meat grinder. Thankfully it wasn't rendered very well, and the character wasn't screaming through it, because holy gently caress that creeped me out enough as it is. :stare:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey, I just failed a QTE and got pushed head first into a meat grinder. Thankfully it wasn't rendered very well, and the character wasn't screaming through it, because holy gently caress that creeped me out enough as it is. :stare:

Some of the death animations are unnecessarily long and make me kinda squirm. Even when you get chomped down by a zombie and they tear your guts out... for like a full minute. :(

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

That QTE is the best one in the game just because of how long it goes on for. And of course you weren't screaming through it, head first.....

Also the fact the enemy just follows you in was hilarious.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Krad posted:

Some of the death animations are unnecessarily long and make me kinda squirm. Even when you get chomped down by a zombie and they tear your guts out... for like a full minute. :(

There's a dog tag title for 'dying awesomely' - presumably getting those special fatality animations.

So, I rented RE6 after all the drama and mud-slinging had died down. Lately ignored the arguments back and forth, so went in with not much in the way of expectations one way or another.

Just completed Leon's campaign. Game says I took 8 hours. Holy crap, this is huge if that's just 1/4 of the whole game.

It's clearly a case of content over polish, but I've really enjoyed it so far. It's an almost exhaustingly long series of ridiculous setpieces interspersed with traditional RE weirdness. Funny how the bigger bosses have begun to resemble Akrid from Lost Planet more than anything, too - you couldn't mistake this for anything but a Capcom game.

So far if I had to attach stupid arbitrary numbers to the game, I'd ballpark it at a high 70s/low-80s sorta score. A lot of my all time favourites probably fall in that bracket, though.

Also, one thing I think a lot of players were confused with is that melee is far more central to play than in previous games. With Leon, you can instantly kill just about any regular zombie enemy with the knife by running up to it, quick-shotting it (Aim + Fire simultaneously from neutral) to stagger, followed by a finish. I never really ran short of ammo once I realized I could pick off outliers like that. You also do way more damage against prone enemies with the knife equipped.

Usefully, lying prone regenerates melee stamina about 5x faster. Safer than you'd think to just dive backwards out of a scrum and spend a couple seconds recharging.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 18, 2012

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

My only real complaint about the game is that there are no more out there weapons like the Las Plagas laser from 4 or the chaingun from 5 or even the riot gun. I imagine that the game would be stupid fun with infinite ammo and some of these.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I'm pretty sure those are all references. I know at least one is a shot-for-shot homage to the original RE1 zombie cutscene

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I am trying to decide if I want this game and have decided all I need to know is if anything is as retarded in this game as fighting Wesker was in Resident Evil 5. If you can help me out please ssave me

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

whaley posted:

I am trying to decide if I want this game and have decided all I need to know is if anything is as retarded in this game as fighting Wesker was in Resident Evil 5. If you can help me out please ssave me

Uh there's a bit where you fight a giant zombie T-Rex.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I really liked the inventory system in Resident Evil 5. The inventory system in 6 looks far less fun. I keep waiting for this game to go on sale for 20 bucks.. should I keep waiting? 40 bucks on amazon is tempting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Severed posted:

I really liked the inventory system in Resident Evil 5. The inventory system in 6 looks far less fun. I keep waiting for this game to go on sale for 20 bucks.. should I keep waiting? 40 bucks on amazon is tempting.

The inventory system in RE6 is basically nonexistent. You have all your weapons at once and the most management you have to do is occasionally dropping some ammo to have room for an herb.

I think RE6 is worth $40. That's basically the right price point for it to me honestly.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

whaley posted:

I'm sorry to say, but no, no bosses in 6 are as much fun as Wesker was in 5. :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thievery posted:

Uh there's a bit where you fight a giant zombie T-Rex.

And when you do enough damage to the T-Rex and it becomes vulnerable, rather than shoot the guy Leon or Ada depending on where you are simply jumps on him (he's now back in human form) and you have a QTE for punching him repeatedly in the face. Awesome.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Krad posted:

I'm sorry to say, but no, no bosses in 6 are as much fun as Wesker was in 5. :(

I would argue Jake's final boss is pretty great and is basically a giant homage to the Wesker volcano fight anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The inventory system in RE6 is basically nonexistent. You have all your weapons at once and the most management you have to do is occasionally dropping some ammo to have room for an herb.

I think RE6 is worth $40. That's basically the right price point for it to me honestly.

What if you don't have any interest in the co-op? $40 still fair?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

What if you don't have any interest in the co-op? $40 still fair?

About if you'd feel the same way for RE5. It's a very Co-Op oriented game. It's more playable in single player due to the partner being AI and having infinite ammo, but you'll also feel like some of the setpieces are missing something.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

ImpAtom posted:

About if you'd feel the same way for RE5. It's a very Co-Op oriented game. It's more playable in single player due to the partner being AI and having infinite ammo, but you'll also feel like some of the setpieces are missing something.

And at least one final boss battle will be drat near impossible Chris' campaign because your AI partner won't do what he's loving supposed to

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Trico posted:

And at least one final boss battle will be drat near impossible Chris' campaign because your AI partner won't do what he's loving supposed to

If you know ahead of time to stock up on grenade rounds you can use them to crack the shell if the ai doesn't zap it in time. Unless you're talking about stunning, but I've never had much luck relying on that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Trico posted:

Did you use the commands (e.g. aim at the boss and hold down O on PS3) to tell him to attack? You can't attack the boss when he's on top of the crates, but when I did that boss single player it was done pretty fast that way.