Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I know that .gif doesn't paint a very good picture of the game, but didn't someone post a news update saying that a later build already corrected the problem?

vvv: Yeah, the speeding up is a pretty cool mechanic; I just thought it's a bit unfair that people are still ragging on NT for a problem they've already taken steps to remove.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh yeah, it's been fixed since it was pointed out, but Dante speeding up is deliberate, and that gif is the best place to see the difference in his attack animation speed.

Quite how they fixed it, hasn't been said.

[e]: That would be pretty cool.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 12, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wrist Watch posted:

What would actually be a pretty neat idea is if in the beginning of the game Dante's animations are sloppy "hanging on to the sword as it swings" and through the game they get more and more refined until at the end he's almost like his old self again.

That would make combos kind of stupid since you'd have to relearn frames and such depending on what level you are. It would be nice though if say, Stinger 1 looked a little sloppy but Stinger 2 is much more refined.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
To nobody's surprise, Vergil will be playable via DLC, although he actually gets his own separate campaign, which is nice. Funny enough he seems to be sporting DMC3 Dante's haircut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8v--DAmA4

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

To nobody's surprise, Vergil will be playable via DLC, although he actually gets his own separate campaign, which is nice. Funny enough he seems to be sporting DMC3 Dante's haircut:

Holy poo poo, Vergil's combat style is pretty badass even when he's only using Yamato. He's got his Trick teleport, Summoned Swords; hell, he's even got a bunch of his old moves like his standard attack string and Rapid Slash!

What the gently caress, this is what I want from DMC.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

That's more like it!

Why the gently caress isn't that the main game!?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

notZaar posted:

This looks cool as HELL :black101:

Can't we get a Vergil's only game?

But only if they fix his derpy face :downs:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At very least they're showing off actual meaningful combos. Why the hell aren't they doing that for Dante?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yep. Vergil's moves really benefit from the new animation.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's a pretty decent trailer. Better put together than 90% of the previous ones for the main game at least.

I wonder how they'll work in the angel/demon trigger thing or - if we're lucky - not bother with that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://youtu.be/Z9jcZTpXQGo
Same trailer, but at the end, it lists the Vergil Mode being a preorder bonus for Gamestop in the US and EB Games in Canada. Kind of makes me want to go out and preorder it right now.

For the contents of the trailer, that looked like we're getting some Doppleganger action (or maybe something similar?)! I'm also curious to see what Vergil's Devil Trigger will look like. Similar to this Dante's DT being DMC Dante? Or maybe something more like a Nelo Angelo DT?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's a pretty decent trailer. Better put together than 90% of the previous ones for the main game at least.

I wonder how they'll work in the angel/demon trigger thing or - if we're lucky - not bother with that.

Angel Lock-on.
Demon De-lock.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

That's the first footage I've seen that actually looks like a Devil May Cry game!

e: still think I'd rather buy a used copy and give NT $3/4 than pre order and give them a full $60

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Angel Lock-on.
Demon De-lock.

It'd be funny if the DLC turns out to have a better control scheme and better action than the main game. I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out.

Still gently caress the main game though :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 13, 2012

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Pesky Splinter posted:

It'd be funny if the DLC turns out to have a better control scheme and better action than the main game. I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out.

It wouldn't be the first time for NT, either. Pigsy's Perfect 10 was far and away a much more interesting and fun game than Enslaved proper.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pesky Splinter posted:

Still gently caress the main game though :colbert:

That video had almost gotten me interested in the base game, because yeah, Vergil mode DID look interesting.

Then I remembered what Vergil looks like, and what they did to Yamato. It's so loving BASIC. I mean, yeah, Classic Yamato was just a Tachi, but even THAT had some class with it, with the tassel and the fancy sheath and such.

This? This is just a generic katana. It says nothing about Vergil as a character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is a neat trailer and makes me wish they were nearly as creative with the rest of this game.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
In a way it's kind of comforting that NT have made DmC so bad that I can comfortably not buy it, instead of mediocre and "okay" enough that I might have relented.

Stylistically the Vergil stuff doesn't look that bad, but I'd be surprised if they changed the gameplay up very much.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ximum posted:

It wouldn't be the first time for NT, either. Pigsy's Perfect 10 was far and away a much more interesting and fun game than Enslaved proper.

I didn't play it. By the end of Enslaved, I was so underwhelmed and bored of the thing, and I thought the DLC would be more of the same, so I just didn't bother. Is it worth playing?

PoshAlligator posted:

Stylistically the Vergil stuff doesn't look that bad, but I'd be surprised if they changed the gameplay up very much.

It depends on what they do to make Vergil functionally different from Dante, à la what they did in DMC3. Of course, we're still talking about NT here so...yeah.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Pesky Splinter posted:

I didn't play it. By the end of Enslaved, I was so underwhelmed and bored of the thing, and I thought the DLC would be more of the same, so I just didn't bother. Is it worth playing?

It's pretty fun, but not worth buying Enslaved for.

dontmorelikewont
Oct 10, 2007
I think that's a pretty good deal with preorder, and I like the feel of that trailer more than the whole rest of the game (LOL). But still probably will wait for PC version (come on steam sale 2013!). Does anyone have any predictions on how well this well sell? Enslaved levels, DMC4 levels, or RE levels?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
So where's the UK in this pre-order business? :argh:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to guess it will sell similarly to or below DMC4 levels. Its not like that game didn't have marketing, and we're still talking about the same genre.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I also like that this quote

NinjaTheory posted:

“I want to be definitive. He’s not playable in the game. I don’t want to be coy about that and have people think they’re getting one thing when they’re getting another.”

was total bullshit.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No, he was saying you're not going to get Vergil in the box product, and he's right. It's downloadable content. Maybe "in the game" wasn't the best phrasing to use, but I think the context for that quote was the Q&A when they were discussing DLC and add-ons.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
While I do plan on getting this game, I'm still disappointed that they didn't let Nitin Sawhney score it like they did Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. Great soundtracks, great musician.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dontmorelikewont posted:

Does anyone have any predictions on how well this well sell? Enslaved levels, DMC4 levels, or RE levels?

It's always hard to judge, but to be viewed as a success in Capcom's eyes, it needs to sell at least 2 million units. Personally I think it'll be slightly less than that - maybe around the million mark?

Azure_Horizon posted:

While I do plan on getting this game, I'm still disappointed that they didn't let Nitin Sawhney score it like they did Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. Great soundtracks, great musician.

I'm disappointed they didn't use Tetsuya Shibata, the series regular musician. The music they've released so far has been rather lacklustre.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

notZaar posted:

The animations are sloppy looking on purpose, NT have gone on record saying they wanted to make this young Dante seem less refined and skilled. As a consequence it looks like he doesn't quite have full control of his sword, with the weight of it sort of leading him around. From an animation standpoint it's actually quite impressive, their artists really got the heft down.

I don't really agree with this. Dante doesn't look amateurish, the animation does. The weapons lead the animations with Dante following and there is no build up or anticipation of attacks that make it clear he is struggling or less refined. He has very limited and stiff animations with no real stretching or flexing of limbs to accentuate attacks. The weapons move in smooth arcs with no build up or acceleration and the blending of animations is very poor. The dodge roll looks weirdly like the one in the Dead Rising games. It generally looks quite lifeless to me.

This game still appears to be far better than everything else Ninja Theory have released so far, though it still doesn't seem like it could compare to any of the greats in the genre. I'm looking forward to testing out the demo to see what it is actually like to play.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/11/14/dmc-demo-coming-november-20#.UKN74PCrJS8.twitter

Demo hits XBL on 20/11 in Europe and NA. Same date for PSN in North America, a day later for PSN in Europe. Demo will contain unlockable hard mode, which is a nice gesture. Just 10 days till the moment of truth ya'll!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/11/14/dmc-demo-coming-november-20#.UKN74PCrJS8.twitter

Demo hits XBL on 20/11 in Europe and NA. Same date for PSN in North America, a day later for PSN in Europe. Demo will contain unlockable hard mode, which is a nice gesture. Just 10 days till the moment of truth ya'll!

This is a fantastic idea. If the hard mode is actually a good mode then showing it off in a demo will do more to alleviate concerns than anything else.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My PS3's out of commission so I'm giving my appreciation for your impressions of the demo in advance. Thanks!

Man, that Vergil trailer had some legitimately sick combat, I hope they're not gimping Dante for the sake of storyline cohesion.

vvv: Nah dude, that was definitely Doppleganger. It even does what looks like Round Trip in the air, except it doesn't boomerang back.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 15, 2012

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
At around 1:07-1:09 in the trailer, am I the only one spotting doppelganger style Vergil? I mean don't get me wrong, the main game will most likely still be rear end, but still.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So I have to cancel my pre-order on amazon and pre-order this at Gamestop now for Vergil's Downfall. Godammit.

:negative:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The Vergil trailer looks promising. Why the hell can't they do that to Dante? Best way to shut me up about being negative about a game is show the sick combos/gameplay. Virgil's combos look slick, Dante looks sloppy intentional or not.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
We would not have been making GBS threads on this game for 48 pages if the trailers all looked like that Vergil one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The final Angel weapon has been revealed (for those who didn't look at the achievment spoilers)

"Aguila" - (Lat. "Eagle")

"Multiple high-speed, rotating, throwing blades.
It has the ability to strike enemies at long range and does severe damage to mobs."

It's a three pronged glaive/chakram/boomerang.

No gameplay footage of it as of yet.

[e]: Well...it is basically a hand held version of one of Pandora's modes. They really need some footage so we can see how it works in action.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 15, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a bad idea really. Doesn't really copy an existing Dante weapon and could allow for neat combo mechanics if the gameplay is up to snuff.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why are they revealing basically the entire game before launch? We already know all the weapons, they sent out preview copies to journalists with the first 10 chapters... I guess this really is a panic mode PR response.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Probably to make up for over a year of fellatic previews, news and horrible/unispired looking combat, trying desperately to make people forget the utter cocks they've been.

Welp, five days til the demo, and just over 8 weeks til the final release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That's his idle stance?
He looks like he's trying to take a dump.

• Locked thread