Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've got a few games that aren't even out of the shrink wrap :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Red Robin Hood posted:

I still need to unshrink my Napoleon's Triumph, but that's just because up till now I've been only playing other people's copies.

...oh yeah, and Leaders but that's because I no longer care at all about 7 Wonders.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I ordered Dungeon Quest and 2x Star Wars X-Wing the other day from Amazon. Should get here today...

I played the old Games-Workshop DungeonQuest years ago and had so much fun laughing and dying without really getting close to winning. I was a little hesitant to play the new FF version but I tried it out this past Saturday and LOVED it. The combat was a little confusing at first but once you figure it out it can be one of the best parts.

There were 4 of us playing, one died pretty early on, maybe 5 turns in. Another died probably 8 or 9 turns in and the last two of us survived almost until the end. The other guy made it to the dragon's room first and snagged a bunch of treasure without waking him. When I got there I woke him first try! After that I took off and ALMOST made it to the door. When the sun counter hit the last three days you have to roll and if you roll a 1 or a 2 the game ends.

Fuuuuuuck :qq:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
DungeonQuest is probably my favorite game. The FFG version is great, just for having the game in print and available. I wasn't a fan of the new combat at all, but the latest editions have rules to make the combat more like the original anyway.

When we played last weekend, we just did rock paper scissors, except if the hero crushes a monster's scissors, the monster loses two life. This basically emulates the original rules and plays way faster.

My issue with the FFG combat is how long it takes to resolve. A game like DungeonQuest needs to have really quick turns, since you are completely dependent on things outside your control. Watching two other players play a mini game for 5 minutes is pretty bogus.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

A Strange Aeon posted:

DungeonQuest is probably my favorite game. The FFG version is great, just for having the game in print and available. I wasn't a fan of the new combat at all, but the latest editions have rules to make the combat more like the original anyway.

When we played last weekend, we just did rock paper scissors, except if the hero crushes a monster's scissors, the monster loses two life. This basically emulates the original rules and plays way faster.

My issue with the FFG combat is how long it takes to resolve. A game like DungeonQuest needs to have really quick turns, since you are completely dependent on things outside your control. Watching two other players play a mini game for 5 minutes is pretty bogus.

I guess I didn't mind the little mini games. I didn't feel like watching it was boring it was kind of fun rooting for the monsters to kick my buddy's asses!

All around a very fun game!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Red Robin Hood posted:

It could be worse.

Boardgames could be sold through Steam.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

nimby posted:

It could be worse.

*click click click* Wait, did I just spend $200 on boardgames? Again?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Pierzak posted:

*click click click* Wait, did I just spend $200 on boardgames? Again?

That's me, except also include painting and modeling supplies for the inevitable arrival of Dreadball. :suicide:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

nimby posted:

It could be worse.

I actually really, really want to see an increase in video game based board games, my biggest problem with board games right now is getting people together to play.

Ticket to Ride
Memior 44'
Elder Sign (is in greenlight)

are all on steam.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's always Vassal if you already have a group. Some of the modules work pretty well. I'm using it to keep in contact with my group after leaving the country.

The current price method on Memoir 44 really put me off Video game based board games. Is Ticket To Ride similar?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

There's always Vassal if you already have a group. Some of the modules work pretty well. I'm using it to keep in contact with my group after leaving the country.

The current price method on Memoir 44 really put me off Video game based board games. Is Ticket To Ride similar?

Yeah memior 44's f2p model is awful and no ttr is a 1 time purchase and is pretty great.

I would use vassal but it always seems so hacked together. I am talking about games that are made to be board games in video game form, not re-creations. Good graphics 3d models, use the capabilities of a computer to handle more complicated systems, but allow for the players to play the game like its a traditional boardgame.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah memior 44's f2p model is awful and no ttr is a 1 time purchase and is pretty great.

I would use vassal but it always seems so hacked together. I am talking about games that are made to be board games in video game form, not re-creations. Good graphics 3d models, use the capabilities of a computer to handle more complicated systems, but allow for the players to play the game like its a traditional boardgame.

Oh yeah, that'd be awesome. My friend develops iOS games for a living and is always going on about how he wants to make a Galaxy Trucker game or whatever his new fave is this month, but he's basically too lazy to bother with it.

I'd really love more of it too. Plenty of games would really benefit from the move to a PC platform. There are several PC games that are basically board games (Cryptic Comet seem to have gotten confused and accidentally made PC games for the past decade or so.), but I'd love to be able to boot up a really well done Summoner Wars game with my friends. (aside here; there was actually Exactly This released for the Xbox I think years and years ago.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Technically TtR has a few "expansions" which really are the expansion maps that costed a bunch more for the board versions anyway. Probably worth the cost, though I'm waiting for them ever to go on sale. Had to buy 1910 though, the game was nigh on unplayable after having only played it with 1910 for so long.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

nimby posted:

It could be worse.

Don't give them any more good ideas or I'll really be broke :catstare:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

With the increasing amount of Ipad board game apps, I could see it happen.

Forbidden Island on Ipad is fantastic.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
It's actually something I have been considering having my studio work on after our current game is done.

I would love to do an asymmetrical dungeon crawler for 2 - 5 players similar to Descent, or Warhammer Quest.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Harlock posted:

Agreed. My five-year-old plays it by himself on occasion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VoodooXT posted:

That's me, except also include painting and modeling supplies for the inevitable arrival of Dreadball. :suicide:

Shipping next week. Prepare to die.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
Has anyone played the solitaire version of Andean Abyss? The game looks really interesting, but I have doubts about my ability to get my friends to sit down and play a game about latin american politics.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
We left for a 10-day vacation at a laid back relative's house and put out Netrunner and Mage Knight which were going to be mainstay for the week+. I left them sitting on the counter at my house 9 hours away :emo:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Jedit posted:

Shipping next week. Prepare to die.

Don't remind me. I still have a bunch of paints to buy, not to mention I still need to re-buy my hobby tools (my old ones are lost along with my Warhams) and I need to mix up some of Les Bursley's ink washes. :smith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Online play thread is up, check it out and help out new people and junk

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517443

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Archipelago arrived at my door today, and I got to play it tonight. First impression: good game, really deep, I want to play more because I get the feeling I'm going to rate this as one of my favorites.

For a worker-placement euro-game that's about colonizing an island during the Colonial era, I'm not really sure how to define this one. Archipelago is to worker-placement games as Mage Knight is to fantasy adventure games in that both are unlike anything their genres have seen while still being in the confines of their respective format. Also Archipelago may actually be as in-depth as Mage Knight. I can't say for sure though, for Archipelago's rulebook is far more comprehensible :v:

There is a ton of mechanisms blended together into Archipelago. There's not just worker placement; there's meeple placement and movement, exploration/tile-placement, dynamic markets, buildings with special bonus actions, cards with special bonus actions, events, secret victory-point/end-game conditions, open trading and negotiation, and a very real threat of all players losing the game to a rebellion if they don't (semi-)cooperate to appease the native population. I'm sure I forgot a few mechanisms somewhere in there.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, Archipelago is not a light game by any means. However, the rulebook goes a long way to clarify how everything works and the game's mechanics fit together in a way that makes sense both intuitively and thematically.

The thing that stuck out to me was that teaching Archipelago and playing a learning game is a rather big undertaking. My first game of this took far longer than the average playtime, but I can see how understanding the game would cut down the playtime massively (kind of like how Mage Knight's playtime can be 1 to 6 hours depending). Thankfully, there are 3 sets of end-game objectives that alter the length of play, so if one doesn't have enough time to finish the longest variant of Archipelago they can try the medium or short game.

There's a lot of stuff in Archipelago, and a lot of stuff to like. I am looking forward to getting more plays out of this in the next few days and hope to have a better understanding of this big game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trynant posted:

Archipelago

How fiddly is the game? That was my main worry when I was reading the rules (which I have since forgotten), but I do remember that you had to do a lot of placing things in certain ways that when I read it, seemed like an awful lot of work. Maybe it is about as bad as refreshing the various bins in Agricola, but even that feels pretty tedious sometimes.

But Christophe Boelinge is a pretty underrated designer, so I hope that this is his big break.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

GrandpaPants posted:

How fiddly is the game? That was my main worry when I was reading the rules (which I have since forgotten), but I do remember that you had to do a lot of placing things in certain ways that when I read it, seemed like an awful lot of work. Maybe it is about as bad as refreshing the various bins in Agricola, but even that feels pretty tedious sometimes.

But Christophe Boelinge is a pretty underrated designer, so I hope that this is his big break.

Much less fiddly than Agricola. The biggest possible fiddly-bit is the crisis resolution. The maximum amount of meeples a player can have is 10 (well, 20 in the 2-player game), so at most all you're doing is turning 10 meeples sideways along with everyone else before you're playing again, which is dead easy and super fast. Let me emphasize that getting 10 meeples in Archipelago felt like a very big undertaking, as getting meeples on the board is rather costly. The other possible fiddliness would come from disengaging (i.e. resetting meeples and stuff), and honestly that's at most as fiddly as untapping your cards in Magic.

On paper all those meeples sounds like a lot of mindless movement, but in practice it's a non-issue. Everything else is driven by some player choice and I wouldn't call fiddly at all.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Harlock posted:

Is it local only, or can you play online?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Is it local only, or can you play online?

Local only. Playing online would be pretty pointless unless you had chat or Skype going on another device while you were playing it. There are a lot of achievements to unlock in Game Center though.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Unfit For Space posted:

Local only. Playing online would be pretty pointless unless you had chat or Skype going on another device while you were playing it. There are a lot of achievements to unlock in Game Center though.

Actually the lack of cooperation might be kind of interesting... I've never played a co-op game that didn't just play out as multiplayer solitaire. Being in separate states might force that. I doubt it would be fun enough to be worth doing lots, but it would be sort of an interesting excursive.

Archipelago and Coup both sound pretty cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Crossposting from the Games BG thread, I'm gonna be doing a teaching game of either Caylus, Dominion, Gosu, or Stone Age tonight at 9 EST, and then Saboteur at 11 EST, so if you've been meaning to learn any of those (or just want to spectate newbies bumbling around) you should go post there.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
How is Lords of Waterdeep for two-players?

I'm looking for a two player game while on vacation and I have most of the other games everyone on here talks about (at home).

I'm thinking Lords or 7 Wonders or Last Night on Earth maybe Ghost Stories or Neuroshima Hex. Lords of Waterdeep is the front runner since it looks like it will play well with four when I get home.

Thoughts?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Out of those games, Lords of Waterdeep would probably be the "best," especially if you want to expand to 4 players. It is not a particularly good game, but it isn't a bad game either, it's just a sort of inoffensive but unexciting way to spend time, like knitting but without anything to show for it in the end.

Ghost Stories might be okay as a 2-4p game, but as a co-op, it is pretty easy to quarterback, which I have started to grow less and less fond of. Avoid 7 Wonders for 2 players, but if you're a fan of the drafting mechanic, look into Seasons, which people like as a 2 player game. It also goes to 4 player, which people like less for some reason, but it's worthwhile to check out.

My 2 player recommendation that you didn't list is Summoner Wars. I don't know whether you care for tactical games, but if you do, Summoner Wars is probably the best balance between depth and simplicity. I haven't tried Mage Wars (why do all these tactical 2 player games have names involving arcane wars...), but I hear it's pretty good as well. Summoner Wars also clumsily expands to 4, but I haven't really played much of that.

If you want a more complex 2 player game, look into Dungeon Twister, but it is a HEAVY game. There will be lots of thinking involved and sometimes you feel exhausted afterwards. This also expands to 4 players somehow, but I don't have that expansion so all I can do is shrug.

Out of your choices, I would vote for Lords of Waterdeep, but it is not a strong recommendation from me.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I picked up a couple of these pins if any grognard (Tekopo) is interested:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hahaha wow where did you find those? And yes, I am interested.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

GrandpaPants posted:

Out of those games, Lords of Waterdeep would probably be the "best," especially if you want to expand to 4 players. It is not a particularly good game, but it isn't a bad game either, it's just a sort of inoffensive but unexciting way to spend time, like knitting but without anything to show for it in the end.

Ghost Stories might be okay as a 2-4p game, but as a co-op, it is pretty easy to quarterback, which I have started to grow less and less fond of. Avoid 7 Wonders for 2 players, but if you're a fan of the drafting mechanic, look into Seasons, which people like as a 2 player game. It also goes to 4 player, which people like less for some reason, but it's worthwhile to check out.

My 2 player recommendation that you didn't list is Summoner Wars. I don't know whether you care for tactical games, but if you do, Summoner Wars is probably the best balance between depth and simplicity. I haven't tried Mage Wars (why do all these tactical 2 player games have names involving arcane wars...), but I hear it's pretty good as well. Summoner Wars also clumsily expands to 4, but I haven't really played much of that.

If you want a more complex 2 player game, look into Dungeon Twister, but it is a HEAVY game. There will be lots of thinking involved and sometimes you feel exhausted afterwards. This also expands to 4 players somehow, but I don't have that expansion so all I can do is shrug.

Out of your choices, I would vote for Lords of Waterdeep, but it is not a strong recommendation from me.
Fantastic feedback and much appreciated. I already have Summoner Wars (great game) and Dungeon Twister (which I love) but I will look at Seasons and Mage Wars as well.

Thanks for giving me the much-needed food for thought.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Kiranamos posted:

I picked up a couple of these pins if any grognard (Tekopo) is interested:

Need this, tia~

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah can I have one, wow.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

he1ixx posted:

How is Lords of Waterdeep for two-players?

Some other dude and myself both posted about 2er LoW in the last couple of pages. In summary, it's a lot of fun; there's not much competition for the "good" spaces but more opportunity to figure out your opponent's goals and stymie them. I played my first 3er game last night and it played very differently but was still loads of fun. I could see it being wildly different but equally fun with anywhere from 2-5 players. Plus the component quality and graphic design are top notch.

I would not recommend 7 Wonders for 2er but really like it with 3+ players.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Yeah can I have one, wow.

I only have two pins, I'll have to see later if there are any left.

Quick thoughts:

Suburbia - absolute best new game I've played so far. Clever tile laying sim city game with some drafting, some tiles get bonuses or penalties for adjacency as well as having multiples of the same type.

Copycat - Friedmann Friese self-admitted mashup of Dominion and Agricola. Takes the good parts of both and works extremely well.

Coup - loving great filler for 3-6, you get 2 facedown role cards, but on your turn you can announce that you are any of the 5 roles and take their action. If someone challenges you, you can prove your identity and make them lose a role, or get caught and lose one of your own. You also have defense abilities you can claim when someone attacks you, which can also be challenged. It's really great. Bought a copy as soon as I could.

Redshirts - a better version of Munchkin. I could actually be persuaded to play it.

Last Will - liked this more than I thought I would. Spend all your money and go into debt to win by trashing your property value with parties, fine foods, and carriage rides. Worker placement/action selection type game.

Tokaido - Antoine Bauza had to make a lovely game sometime. It has awesome art, but the gameplay is literally Candyland for adults, but just barely. It has fake "tight scoring" where everyone just ends up near each other in points almost no matter what.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
HEY HEY BOARD GAMERS

I dunno if anyone in here is interested, but chatting with some of mah fellow mods reveals A/T would not mind an ASK ME ABOUT BOARD GAMES thread or the like. Sort of an interforum ambassador thread. Bear in mind the rules over there are different so if someone likes Talisman or Monopoly or whatever there would need to be DIPLOMACY but other than that we thought outreach might be fun or interesting. This is just sort of a notice that such a thread would not be unwelcome over there if anyone feels like being a proto nerd ambassador on behalf of board games and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Played Escape From Aliens in Outer Space for the first time. Great in theory, will need experienced players to shine in practice. Basically it's Mafia + Battleships + a healthy dose of "We're Locked On A Dark Space Station With Aliens Oh God We're Gonna Die :derp:".

The premise is simple. Each player has a map with safe and hazardous sectors. Record your moves in secret, if you end your move in a safe sector nothing happens. If it's a hazardous one draw a card. It can be nothing special. Or you can step onto something and have to announce A SOUND coming from your sector. Or, sound may travel further and you may announce it from ANY sector. No one knows the truth :tinfoil: Oh, and you might get an item, which helps a lot.

The problem is, half of the players are aliens. Humans beeline towards escape pods to launch them, the aliens do the same because that's where the food is going. Humans have powerful items like guns or teleporters, aliens can move 2-3 times as fast, hide, and eat others. In the end, it comes down to outsmarting the enemy.

It really should be played with the lights down (maybe red and a flickering fluorescent lamp in the corridor) and appropriate music. There's a lot of potential for loving up and paranoia, since you never know who's who and where. Aliens want you for stat boosts, and an actual human may as well empty a clip into you because he mistook you for an alien, or maybe you both were too close to the only working escape pod.

Now that I think about it, the game might run well in the PBP forum. Is there an appropriate thread to ask for volunteers/advice on this, or should I just go on IRC?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 16, 2012

• Locked thread