Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sim
Sep 24, 2003

Hootsuite is a fantastic tool for managing your social media accounts. With it you can control multiple Twitter accounts, post to Facebook and Twitter at once, schedule your posts, and watch streams of tweets for certain keywords. I'm sure you can do some/all of that with just Twitter.com or other Twitter software, but I haven't found anything better than Hootsuite.

In addition to automatically tweeting my new posts, I like to spend a couple hours each week scheduling 1-2 tweets per day for the next 7 days. That way I don't have to worry about finding something to talk about every single day. I usually aim for a 3 to 1 ratio of promoting other people's content vs my own. Even if you're not putting out content every day, don't be shy about promoting your old content, since few people are reading every single one of your tweets.

Be sure to mention authors/publishers via their Twitter username, which should hopefully put your tweet on their radar and increase the chance of them retweeting you. One trick I've learned is to find the username of the actual author (as opposed to the major publisher) and include that in the tweet. Then the author is usually more likely to retweet you. An easy way to find content to tweet is by setting up a Google alert for your keywords.

The OP definitely needs an update in the social media section. Maybe I can work on that this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

The Solidworks one I'm taking a break from until I move to a different place as I dont have a quiet place to record the audio for the videos anymore.

So I'm getting one going about astronomy instead.

Is the list of blogs being updated in the OP? Its https://www.astronomyaggregator.com .

Dang, that's going to be hard to rank and promote. Because you are aggregating other copy from around the web, you don't have any original content. So, you will always rank under the original content creator (almost always), and compete with many other high authority news sites that also repost press releases.

This also speaks to the onpage time, and not visiting the rest of your site. After I got to the end of the article, I saw that it was simply a reposted press release. At that point, why would I read the rest of the site, when I know that it won't have anything new?

Adding some commentary, insight, opinions, bad jokes, anything into the press release content should help a lot.

p.s.: are you using a scraper to aggregate content, or grabbing it manually?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I don't know if this exists, but I just started #blogging on irc.synirc.net

Come join for a good time.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

The Swinemaster posted:

Dang, that's going to be hard to rank and promote. Because you are aggregating other copy from around the web, you don't have any original content. So, you will always rank under the original content creator (almost always), and compete with many other high authority news sites that also repost press releases.

I know I'm never going to compete with the likes of NASA or Space.com (although I made the site precisely because I was frustrated with the amount of sheer useless crap that Space.com shits out) and I'm pretty much ok with that since if it ever got to that scale it would be a full time business. I'm trying to concentrate on making things easy to understand.

Most of the time I condense the press release and explain things as simply as possible, so compared to the original release there might only be one line in twenty thats the same where I cant simplify it any more than it already is, or theres a direct quote from somebody who's involved in the study. Most of the other sites are word-for-word reposts (or about 80% identical) of the releases compared to my 5-10%. :colbert:

quote:

This also speaks to the onpage time, and not visiting the rest of your site. After I got to the end of the article, I saw that it was simply a reposted press release. At that point, why would I read the rest of the site, when I know that it won't have anything new?

Yeah, I get this but I feel that its necessary. I'm a bit of an academic and hate it when things go unreferenced. Perhaps I can do both by simply adding a link in the middle of a block of text?

quote:

Adding some commentary, insight, opinions, bad jokes, anything into the press release content should help a lot.

p.s.: are you using a scraper to aggregate content, or grabbing it manually?

I have a fuckton of RSS feeds set up. If I was to auto-scrape it would repost maybe two hundred things a day when the entire aim is to avoid that kind of tidal wave of shite.

No Caffiene
Aug 29, 2004
I just started my blog and tried to use as many tips from here as I could. It's an early retirement/personal finance blog. Any criticism would be great.

https://www.freeintenyears.com

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

No Caffiene posted:

I just started my blog and tried to use as many tips from here as I could. It's an early retirement/personal finance blog. Any criticism would be great.

https://www.freeintenyears.com

Honestly all I would say is that you'd probably do well with getting a theme that allows for a magazine-like format.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

How are you planning on monetizing that badboy?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

Honestly all I would say is that you'd probably do well with getting a theme that allows for a magazine-like format.

Agreed, it seems like you some really nice content but it's hard to explore it all. If I have to go to page 2 it's no good.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is this slightly better?

http://astronomyaggregator.com/exotic-phenomena/black-holes/chandra-finds-smallest-supermassive-black-hole-yet/

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Not sure where else to post this, but I'm willing to bet the fine folks of this thread will have encountered this particular situation before:

So as part of my nebulous duties working in a small office, I manage my (fairly active) company's forums. These are forums for our service that random customers post in. We have every post manually reviewed by me. Most are insufferably boring (what's it like working at such-and-such company? how much did you make?) and get approved and posted.

Recently, though, we've been getting bizarre spam-posts. Posts where the subject line is the first 128 characters of the post, and the post is nonsense. Things like:

quote:

Subject: It is obvious that adltus should have control over their reproduction. If they personally feel that contraception or abortion ar
Posted By: NWnKSSkJRas (From 201.253.77.152)

It is obvious that adltus should have control over their reproduction. If they personally feel that contraception or abortion are wrong that is then their choice. This is particularly true in countries that are poor and overpopulated. The ability to limit the size of your family can ensure a better life for the children you do choose to have. Religion can have a very positive impact on peoples personal lives but the more fundamentalist religions (not just catholicism) go too far with their obsession with reproduction and sexuality.
Their name is always a random string, and the IP shifts (or is spoofed), so we can't just IP ban. Our forum doesn't cover the topic of abortion at all, so this is a completely irrelevant topic to be posting about.

Our tech team has been theorizing about this, that they're salting the mis-spellings to be able to google them later and see if their fakeposting is getting through.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? What are your suggestions (either to solve this or to seek help elsewhere)?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Man-Thing posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm willing to bet the fine folks of this thread will have encountered this particular situation before:

So as part of my nebulous duties working in a small office, I manage my (fairly active) company's forums. These are forums for our service that random customers post in. We have every post manually reviewed by me. Most are insufferably boring (what's it like working at such-and-such company? how much did you make?) and get approved and posted.

Recently, though, we've been getting bizarre spam-posts. Posts where the subject line is the first 128 characters of the post, and the post is nonsense. Things like:
Their name is always a random string, and the IP shifts (or is spoofed), so we can't just IP ban. Our forum doesn't cover the topic of abortion at all, so this is a completely irrelevant topic to be posting about.

Our tech team has been theorizing about this, that they're salting the mis-spellings to be able to google them later and see if their fakeposting is getting through.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? What are your suggestions (either to solve this or to seek help elsewhere)?

Are there any links in the posts? It looks like forum bot posting. The best way to get rid of it is not allow open registration. You already have to review every post before allowing it to publish. Do the same with registration.

And why do you review every post before it goes live? Did you have a problem before or something? That seems like a lot of unnecessary work. If your forum is fairly active and has decent members they should be pretty good monitoring lovely posts and reporting them with you just checking every so often.

jabro fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 26, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Using CloudFlare can also help. After I started using it, I got a lot less spam on a wordpress blog.

Do you use captcha on the sign ups? I know some forums will even have captcha on the first few posts for new members too.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
There is no signup, most of our posts are by "Anonymous <my company> User", which is why the name is entered. This isn't a WordPress site, it's all custom in-house code.

Just curious if you guys knew the source and why, not so much how to stop it. I'll ask my boss if I can reveal the company name so guys can see the specific forum I'm talking about.

No Caffiene
Aug 29, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

I put off looking for a decent theme until I had quite a few articles done - I'll definitely look into a magazine format, thanks for the idea.

The Swinemaster posted:

How are you planning on monetizing that badboy?

I'm not sure. I have no short term plans to make money from the site which is a bit contrary to the idea of this thread I suppose, but want to focus on writing lots of articles on the early retirement subject. I will slowly introduce ads if and when the site starts to pull in a bit of search engine traffic. I've sort of set a goal of writing 50 articles before I try to monetize it at all, I'm not sure if that's stupid or not. When I do it will be for financial products, amazon links (I have a couple of them already within articles) and google ads I think.

FCKGW posted:

Agreed, it seems like you some really nice content but it's hard to explore it all. If I have to go to page 2 it's no good.

I'll have a tinker with putting more of each article on the front page - thanks for the idea

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Man-Thing posted:

There is no signup, most of our posts are by "Anonymous <my company> User", which is why the name is entered. This isn't a WordPress site, it's all custom in-house code.

Just curious if you guys knew the source and why, not so much how to stop it. I'll ask my boss if I can reveal the company name so guys can see the specific forum I'm talking about.

Do your forum profile pages allow links? A lot of times if you see a fake registration with garbage postings but no links in the post, then you can look at their profile and see if there are any links there. Many forums will ban posting links for newbies but allow profile data have "homepage" urls.

It's all to gather backlinks. I paid for some "greyhat" backlink service years ago and part of it was X number of forum profile backlinks.

Also, much of this is by human, not bot. It's just farmed out via mechanical turk or whatever so captchas won't work. Remove the ability for your members to have URLs in their profile and it'll stop after a while.

If that's NOT the case then I don't know the method, but I guarantee it's related to backlinks.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

No comments on the change in style? :/

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I made a site less than 20 hours ago, spent about 10 minutes of work not including writing the copy, woke up this morning and it's number 9 on google for it's keyword. poo poo is scary.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

invision posted:

I made a site less than 20 hours ago, spent about 10 minutes of work not including writing the copy, woke up this morning and it's number 9 on google for it's keyword. poo poo is scary.

Don't get too excited Google will raise you up for a few weeks then drop your ranking, keep hitting your keywords during that time and you will build back up.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

Don't get too excited Google will raise you up for a few weeks then drop your ranking, keep hitting your keywords during that time and you will build back up.

How do I keep it up? I have a guy that wants to buy it like right now.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

invision posted:

How do I keep it up? I have a guy that wants to buy it like right now.

You can't. Most sites do the Google Dance. Jump up real high then nosedive to then build back up.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So the trick to twitter is finding other twitterers in your niche and following everyone that follows them. A decent percentage will follow you back. Be sure to interact with everyone, jump in on conversations, post pictures, and thank people for following you. Twitter got me a few phone numbers of some important bloggers, some good conversations and tips, and best of all an offer to write for a magazine that's in my niche. That's loving amazing for less than a week on twitter.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Also do what I call echo posting -- post the same tweet a few times, at different times of day. I also set up repeat echoes for evergreen content, as much as a few months apart, more frequently (but at different times of day) for really good evergreen content. Automation is happiness.

I use hootsuite or Buffer to do this, I also use those tools (and a few others) to find the optimum times to Tweet. Twitter is all about timing.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Man-Thing posted:

If you're on WordPress, install Antispam Bee, grab a Project Honey Pot API Key, enter that key in the Filter tab of Antispam Bee settings.

A combination of Akismet, Antispam Bee, Cookies for Comments and CloudFlare will eliminate a ton of spam on even the heaviest traffic'd sites.

If you're not on WordPress...yeah, I don't know :P. Forums aren't my strong suit.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Does anyone else experience a drop off in affiliate sales near the end of the month? On on one of my sites, I was generating a commission every other day (sometimes more), but for the past few days commissions have been flat even though traffic has remained stable.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Supersonic posted:

Does anyone else experience a drop off in affiliate sales near the end of the month? On on one of my sites, I was generating a commission every other day (sometimes more), but for the past few days commissions have been flat even though traffic has remained stable.

I don't have any experience with affiliate sales, but it seems kind of like it coincides with people getting paid. First and the 15th, then bills.

Also, ya'll get in irc! irc.synirc.net #blogging

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Don't be scared to just straight up ask people to send you poo poo to review. Getting a free camera, some clothes, got a free book, and I'm looking at getting a few other things, all because I got on twitter and said "hey, i like your product and want to review it for my site."

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Sorry about triple posting:

https://twitter.com/GoPro/status/268126171869351936

That's my pic/site
:smug:

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I know that if you have to ask if something is a scam it probably is. But my googling hasn't turned up anything like this.

This is the email I got for putting some ads on my analog photography blog

Hi Miike,

I was wondering whether you'd be interested in selling advertising space on XXX.com? The advertisement would be unobtrusive and we can pay you an annual upfront payment for the advertising space.

We can also provide guest blog posts from industry experts in many cases.

I am from Media Discovery, a new media agency headquartered in the UK. We plan out and acquire advertising space on major websites and portals, as well as smaller niche sites. I personally deal with our smaller publishers, increasing brand awareness and share of voice for the major brands that our group works with.

We'd love to work with your site. If you have any questions or would like further information, please do not hesitate to email me directly.

Kind Regards,
Jesse Morgan
jesse.morgan@mediadiscovery.com

I then replied and asking why they would be interested in my blog since I only average about 50 visits per day. She replied:

Dear Nestor,

Thank you for getting back to me.

While it may be true that xxx.com does not have a large number of visitors, we still feel that the visitors that do visit the site are just the sort of people who we are after. Please have a look at our proposal:

After reviewing your website, we think that a new blog post would be the best and least intrusive option for you. We have two ways of doing this:

A) You are free to come up with the content of the article or blog post, but we do ask that it is in some way relevant to our client and is composed of roughly 300 words.

B) I can ask our copywriters to craft an article to fit your site.

To see an example, kindly visit: http://www.mycarreviews.co.uk/citroen-c4-review/. The advert can be found within the third paragraph - 'J.D. Power'.

We’ll pay you an annual upfront payment and we will endeavour to make sure that you are paid within two working days, using PayPal or Moneybookers. Working with a telecommunications, beauty, health, tourism or finance client would ensure you would get 140USD per year, while working with an online gaming client (poker, casino, bingo etc) would ensure you would get 150USD per year.

Please let me know if you're interested, so I can have your site assessed by our Technical Team. I can then send the advert details and client information.

Alternatively, if you have any more questions about this advert type, then please do let me know.

Thanks,
Jesse

What do you guys think?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They aren't asking you to run a script or plugin, seems weird but I guess ok.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Yeah, I would never run anything on my site or give them access to it, but if they are willing to pau for one post or ad or something, its fine by me. I've tried to keep it ad-free so far, but now I would like to make the blog self sustaining.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Miike posted:

What do you guys think?

It's completely standard and not any sort of scam or anything at all. They're just wanting to buy a link off you - they don't care how many visitors you get at all as they're not expecting anyone to actually click through - they're just link building to increase rankings for their clients.

Buying/Selling links is against Googles T&C but everyone does it. Just write the article yourself, write a relevant article and put the link in a manner that it actually looks natural and you'll be fine.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Thanks for the advice. I'll go through with it and see what happens.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gogogo

My blog is much slower than last year for some reason but still doing quite well. I'm placed #2 for my keywords and my CTR is over 10% :aaaaa:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been working on my blog, Brown Moses Blog, for about 8 months now, and I get about 40-50,000 views a month, with occasional peaks up several thousand a day as I get mentioned on the New York Times and other sites quite a bit. I blog about Syria, and the UK phone hacking scandal, and have no problem getting referrals from other sites and search engines, but I'm only making about £10 a month. Any ideas if that's a decent amount for a blog like mine?

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

What kind of ads is google serving? Are they relevant? There aren't many advertisers that are going to bid on political-type keywords, since people really aren't in a buying mindset. That works against you - people are more likely to buy from Jim's Candy Blog, since they are already thinking about the products.

Do you have original relevant content that you could package as an e-book, or print copy? That would be ideal.

Alternatively, maybe look to Amazon and promote political type books. This would be most useful for contextually related items at the end of each post. So if you are writing on Syria, nab some links to some books that you are familiar with or would recommend, and jab them at the end. (Obviously they would have to be on target with your messaging, or your credibility would suffer.)

The Swinemaster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 21, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Swinemaster posted:

Alternatively, maybe look to Amazon and promote political type books. This would be most useful for contextually related items at the end of each post. So if you are writing on Syria, nab some links to some books that you are familiar with or would recommend, and jab them at the end. (Obviously they would have to be on target with your messaging, or your credibility would suffer.)

I might give that a shot, I know some good books I could recommend on the topics I write about.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

I might give that a shot, I know some good books I could recommend on the topics I write about.

Yeah, try Amazon. You are sure to get some residual sales just based off your numbers alone.

Are there affiliate programs with magazines like the Economist?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Anyone have any ideas about how I can improve my "backpacking in Europe" blog? https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

I haven't updated it for well over 18-24 months but my traffic continues to grow. I'm not making a ton of money but I'd like to start making more. I'm just not sure what else I can add or how to grow the traffic.

The Stu
Dec 27, 2003
The Stu abides
I figured I would give a little plug for Stumble Upon's Paid Discovery program. Basically you pay 10 cents per visitor through SU. But the great thing is that if you get a few paid visitors to your site giving you an up vote through SU, you start getting organic SU traffic as well. If you have a site / content that is social bookmarking friendly this can really snowball.

I got burned out a few months back and spent a few weeks working on a side project, at https://www.alistofbooks.com. I spent $20 for 200 visitors through SU just as an experiment, and that was enough to get a few up votes. After a week or two I reached some sort of critical mass with up votes and got ~14,000 visits in a day from SU, and have been getting ~8,000 SU visits every day for the last 2 weeks or so, plus a steady stream from Facebook likes. As of right now I'm up to 224,000 SU visits as per the counter on the site, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. Not bad for an initial $20 investment.

The site is ideal for social bookmarking, which was no doubt a big factor in creating that momentum, but if you have a site or content that should work well with social bookmarking this is a great way to get an initial boost.

Unfortunately not a lot of SU users click through to the book pages and then use the Amazon links, so I haven't made much $$$, but I figure as I start getting more referral traffic the affiliate sales will pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

The Stu posted:

I figured I would give a little plug for Stumble Upon's Paid Discovery program. Basically you pay 10 cents per visitor through SU. But the great thing is that if you get a few paid visitors to your site giving you an up vote through SU, you start getting organic SU traffic as well. If you have a site / content that is social bookmarking friendly this can really snowball.

I got burned out a few months back and spent a few weeks working on a side project, at https://www.alistofbooks.com. I spent $20 for 200 visitors through SU just as an experiment, and that was enough to get a few up votes. After a week or two I reached some sort of critical mass with up votes and got ~14,000 visits in a day from SU, and have been getting ~8,000 SU visits every day for the last 2 weeks or so, plus a steady stream from Facebook likes. As of right now I'm up to 224,000 SU visits as per the counter on the site, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. Not bad for an initial $20 investment.

The site is ideal for social bookmarking, which was no doubt a big factor in creating that momentum, but if you have a site or content that should work well with social bookmarking this is a great way to get an initial boost.

Unfortunately not a lot of SU users click through to the book pages and then use the Amazon links, so I haven't made much $$$, but I figure as I start getting more referral traffic the affiliate sales will pick up.

What type of blogs would benefit from this? I'm not very familiar with SU.

• Locked thread