Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Glass is technically (ie, it's atomic structure is that of) a supercooled liquid but exhibits all the characteristics of a solid because it's a glass and they do that.

Also on the subject of tempered glass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2eCFsDkK0.

There are Prince Ruperts drops. Because of how things cool in water (the outside cools super fuckin quick and the inside cools hella slow) you get natural tempering in the globs of glass you drop into it. Because of this, you can run the bulbs of them over with a fuckin steamroller and it will give no fucks, but if you snap the tiny tail on it then all the stresses get released explosively because they no longer balance out. Cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bill Bryson should be obsolete and failed (I've only ever read the first ten pages of one of his books and every page had at least one "I can't be arsed to check facts" sort of glaring error).

It's almost like he's a travel journalist writing books for a mainstream audience with the priority of being engaging over being scientifically rigorous. I've reread Short History a number of times and he specifically apologizes in advance for any errors he makes, and says directly that it's his fault for misunderstanding or misrepresenting them rather than the fault of any of the experts he spoke to or otherwise cited.

If you think that any book that contains any factually wrong scientific information should be burned or banned, or is automatically drivel - that doesn't leave a whole lot of books left. Bryson isn't writing textbooks and he isn't pretending to.

In terms of obsolete and failed technology, has anyone had any experiences with Wireless USB? I remember hearing news about it in the tech blogs a few years back, but I've never in-person seen a product using it, or really heard anything about it since.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Manky posted:

In terms of obsolete and failed technology, has anyone had any experiences with Wireless USB? I remember hearing news about it in the tech blogs a few years back, but I've never in-person seen a product using it, or really heard anything about it since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB

Looks like it's still doing fine, and people are making products for it, but it seems to occupy the same niche that bluetooth does. Bluetooth already does this pretty adequately for anything besides super-high-speed applications, and is much farther down the line in terms of adoption rates.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Donkwich posted:

Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters? As an American I've always wanted to ride one, and I guess the reason they haven't brought them to the states is that they are lawsuit bait. Or they're actually dangerous as gently caress. I don't know.
I know we have one in Norway, in a post office in the capital.

Gregslo
Dec 9, 2005

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?
How about giant computers that fill an entire (large) room? At the place I work we have two such beauties, each one consists of a few thousand analog computer cards housed in several cabinets the size of an Airstream trailer. These babies are the height of late 1960's - early 1970's technology, right along side the Concorde and the Apollo spacecraft. These things are incredibly reliable and have operated continuously since the mid 70's. Lets see how well your fancy Windows 8 machines are running in 2050 :smug:

To be fair, Windows 8 has those sweet live tiles while the user interface of these computers looks more like this:

I Appreciate You posted:

The health issue with uranium cookware, or uranium anything really, isn't so much that uranium is radioactive, but rather that uranium is poisonous like lead is.

If you decided to just start eating uranium you'd die from uranium poisoning well before you'd get any meaningful dose of radiation.

Sorry to quote from a few pages back but I'm a nuclear nerd and had to jump in on the uranium discussion. "Fresh" Uranium (stuff that hasn't been in a reactor) is just barely radioactive since the half-life of U-238 (aka depleted Uranium) is about 4,500,000,000 years and U-235 (stuff used in nuclear fuel) is 704,000,000 years. Plus these isotopes decay through alpha emission and alpha particles can only travel about an inch in air and won't penetrate skin. In fact, when we get new nuclear fuel bundles delivered at work you can safely stand right next to them with no shielding and it won't even register on our dosimeters.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gregslo posted:

To be fair, Windows 8 has those sweet live tiles while the user interface of these computers looks more like this:

I absolutely love this, and stuff like this is why I wish I'd been born a few decades earlier and could've come up during this period in computer science. I mean yeah, coming up in it during the internet era is incredible, but that just looks awesome. I imagine it'd be far less fascinating if I had, though.

Blows my mind what early CS did with equipment like that. Programmers these days have it way easy. I'm a C# developer, and I never take the advantages of .Net for granted. :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Gregslo posted:

How about giant computers that fill an entire (large) room? At the place I work we have two such beauties, each one consists of a few thousand analog computer cards housed in several cabinets the size of an Airstream trailer. These babies are the height of late 1960's - early 1970's technology, right along side the Concorde and the Apollo spacecraft. These things are incredibly reliable and have operated continuously since the mid 70's. Lets see how well your fancy Windows 8 machines are running in 2050 :smug:

Sorry to quote from a few pages back but I'm a nuclear nerd and had to jump in on the uranium discussion. "Fresh" Uranium (stuff that hasn't been in a reactor) is just barely radioactive since the half-life of U-238 (aka depleted Uranium) is about 4,500,000,000 years and U-235 (stuff used in nuclear fuel) is 704,000,000 years. Plus these isotopes decay through alpha emission and alpha particles can only travel about an inch in air and won't penetrate skin. In fact, when we get new nuclear fuel bundles delivered at work you can safely stand right next to them with no shielding and it won't even register on our dosimeters.

That looks like a the control room (real or simulator) of a Nuclear Power Plant. And despite modernization upgrades to those control rooms, they still look like that. Modern computers and software are incredibly difficult to get through NRC licensing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

That looks like a the control room (real or simulator) of a Nuclear Power Plant. And despite modernization upgrades to those control rooms, they still look like that. Modern computers and software are incredibly difficult to get through NRC licensing.

I was going to say the same thing. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the control room (well, a room next to the control room with a window looking at the control room anyway) of the nuclear power plant in Rochester, NY before 9/11 basically made it so you can't get within 200 feet of any of the cool parts of a plant without being detained for questioning. It looked just like that, only with even more blinky lights :3:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Code Jockey posted:

I absolutely love this, and stuff like this is why I wish I'd been born a few decades earlier and could've come up during this period in computer science. I mean yeah, coming up in it during the internet era is incredible, but that just looks awesome. I imagine it'd be far less fascinating if I had, though.

You might be interested in visiting your local nuclear power plant when they open up on their community information night. My local plant, Limerick, PA had their community night in the training center, and you could see their training simulator through glass, which is an exact replica of the control room. (it does look almost exactly like the one in the picture)

http://www.exeloncorp.com/PowerPlants/limerick/events.aspx

When I was there, the operators and the NRC inspector were running through a training scenario doing a reactor start, pulling out control rods in sequence.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I've always thought that Battersea power station had the best looking control rooms.

The art deco 1929 control room A on the left of the photo, and the early atomic age styled 1945 control room B on the right.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

0toShifty posted:

You might be interested in visiting your local nuclear power plant when they open up on their community information night. My local plant, Limerick, PA had their community night in the training center, and you could see their training simulator through glass, which is an exact replica of the control room. (it does look almost exactly like the one in the picture)

When I was there, the operators and the NRC inspector were running through a training scenario doing a reactor start, pulling out control rods in sequence.
I got to play with the simulator control room of the Columbia Generating Station as part of a job boondoggle a few years ago. The operator put everything in operating condition and asked us to try and make the reactor scram (without manipulating rods). I think I disabled the backup movement mechanism for the control rods and it scrammed.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ Going to go ahead and guess "scram" means "oh gently caress" mode? :v:

0toShifty posted:

You might be interested in visiting your local nuclear power plant when they open up on their community information night.

That's a neat idea! Unfortunately my closest one is Hanford [I'm in NW Washington], and... they've... had their share of issues, lately. :v: I don't think it's open to the public.

Hmmm. Definitely something to keep in mind, I'd love to tour a nuclear plant. Not something I ever thought about. Thanks!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Code Jockey posted:

That's a neat idea! Unfortunately my closest one is Hanford [I'm in NW Washington], and... they've... had their share of issues, lately. :v: I don't think it's open to the public.

Hmmm. Definitely something to keep in mind, I'd love to tour a nuclear plant. Not something I ever thought about. Thanks!
Indeed, they don't do tours. Howdy fellow WA goon. Richland here.

Scram - making the reactor shut down automatically.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Nov 15, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

0toShifty posted:

I once got to go inside the facility at Texas A&M university. Most people don't know they have a small nuclear reactor on campus. It was a little anticlimactic, it's a very small reactor and most of the building is empty space -- it just looks like what you'd think a reactor would look like on the outside.

However, they did show us the open tank of water the core was submerged in. Then they turned it on while we watched. You couldn't even tell it was on except for the fact that there was a blue light down at the bottom of the pool where the reactor was. Cherenkov radiation is extremely beautiful and I'm one of the few people who's ever seen it in person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

einTier posted:

Cherenkov radiation is extremely beautiful and I'm one of the few people who's ever seen it in person.

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people have seen Cerenkov radiation in person. For example, every nuclear scientist, and every person who's ever worked around an immersion research reactor, like that at Texas A&M and hundreds of other universities worldwide. What you saw was basically standard operating procedure -- as long as you have that twenty feet of water between you and the reactor core it's perfectly safe.

Now, if you'd seen Cerenkov radiation in the air, instead of in a protective water pool, you're pretty special. If you saw Cerenkov radiation in air more than a week ago, and you're still alive to talk about it, you may be the only one on the planet.

Code Jockey posted:

^^ Going to go ahead and guess "scram" means "oh gently caress" mode? :v:

I read somewhere that "scram" is actually an acronym for "safety control rod axe man". In the earliest reactors built in the 1930s, the safety mechanism was literally a bunch of control rods hanging from ropes above the reactor, and if something went awry there was a dedicated axe-man who would chop the main rope and cause the rods to drop into place, halting the reaction. I know that that is indeed how the first reactors' control rods operated, but I don't know if that's actually why they use the term "scram".

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Nov 15, 2012

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

TurboTax posted:

Not completely obsolete yet, but what about wooden escalators?

The only time I've ever been on one was three or four years ago in the Paris Metro - apparently it was in the La Motte-Picquet station and still exists. Google also just told me that there's one at the original Macy's in New York.

There's one at Wynyard Station in Sydney as well. It has a peculiar rumble that you just don't get with regular escalators.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

And a lot of times when you have control systems around for decades they might upgrade the computers, but not the interfaces. I visited the Titan Missile Museum in Tucson once, an old early ICBM bunker.

Lots of controls, and when the places was built in the early 1960s all of those cabinets were full of electronics. Ten or fifteen years later the computer systems all got overhauled with new stuff, which did the same functions while only filling a couple of racks in there. Had the whole site not been shut down as part of 1980s modernization programs they probably would have put in some tiny board, but still wired it to all the same controls.

I also got this stuff there:

Old canned water from civil defense programs. It's really not that different from a lot of beer cans of the era, I gather, and might have come off the same bottling lines as such. Before there were even pull tabs and you needed to punch an opening with a churchkey opener.

I don't remember those days, but I do remember this era:

Pull tabs that ended up tossed on the ground where you could cut bare feet, flat-sided steel or bimetal cans. And brown 7-Up labels, I don't even remember that. It looks so foreign now that I'm used to sculpted aluminum with stay-tabs. By the way, I heard stay-tabs took literal years of design and experimentation before commercial adoption. Not that they're that complicated in principle, but they needed to make them with a minimum of materials and with a basically zero failure rate to not upset customers. The cans have also gotten thinner and lighter over the years, for related cost-savings reasons. When you make millions of something, every gram shaved off by better designs and manufacturing processes saves money. Remember these 2-liter bottles?

Specifically the separate opaque plastic bottom. 1970s-80s manufacturing processes weren't up to making a single piece bottom that both would stand up stably and not crack or break under pressure when treated as roughly as people treat plastic bottles. Once they got that working right, they ditched the base and 25% of the plastic needed. Plastic caps came along later, and still more recently they moved toward shorter caps that use even less materials. Modern bottles have a lot of performance margin too. They're tested to take 100psi, and they're durable enough to take dozens of reuses and repressurizations if you do homemade soda or something.

Also, remember 10 and 16 ounce glass bottles with styrofoam labels, before they got around to making single-serving plastic bottles?

Yes, I love the march of packaging technology. Well, other than the ones that increase shelf life at the expense of making things drat hard to open. And I mourn the obsolete technology of instant-win contests that don't require you to go to the company website and register to enter the number on the cap.

Sagebrush posted:

Now, if you'd seen Cerenkov radiation in the air, instead of in a protective water pool, you're pretty special. If you saw Cerenkov radiation in air more than a week ago, and you're still alive to talk about it, you may be the only one on the planet.

I remember reading about a fatal accident at an irradiation facility, where the worker realized something was wrong when he walked in the chamber to free a stuck mechanism, and there wasn't that cheery blue glow deep down in the pool. Instead he was standing right next to a bunch of cobalt-60.

Killer robot has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Nov 15, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

HOLY poo poo THESE BOTTLES! I haven't seen one in ages! I totally remember the thick as hell bottoms on these. Whoa, nostalgia rush.

quote:

And I mourn the obsolete technology of instant-win contests that don't require you to go to the company website and register to enter the number on the cap.

Ugh, this. I miss just... knowing I'd won. Fast food still does these kinds of contests, but yeah, most of the soda/other food item ones are ENTER THIS CODE AT OUR WEBSITE TO SEE IF YOU'VE WON drat it game I just want to know now!

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Hanford does offer tours, but you have to sign up within an hour or two of when they make the slots available. When I visited in April, they let us go into the original ("B") reactor and look around. Here is a picture from the control room that seems appropriate:

The best part is peeking around the control panels and seeing thousands of wires coming out of every switch and display.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
The Fighter Stick

I would play every game on this if I could, but sadly it's only for the SNES. It still works like magic, even though me and my brother must've run through half a dozen of the original controllers- this thing outlasted them all. It's taken a lot of abuse, but has a lot of solid metal parts and is pretty heavy. It's the World War II-era furniture of the off-brand video game controller world.

Never could figure out what that little slider thing in the bottom middle was for, though.

The N64 "Expansion-Pak" added a whole 4 megabytes to your console's processing power. I spent money on it, but I have no idea what it did beyond letting you play Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark (games I never owned). Goldeneye still crawled when I exploded multitudes of friendly scientists. I credit weirdass console hardware (and a love of level editing) with making me a PC game-enjoying-dude.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoph posted:

The N64 "Expansion-Pak" added a whole 4 megabytes to your console's processing power. I spent money on it, but I have no idea what it did beyond letting you play Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark (games I never owned). Goldeneye still crawled when I exploded multitudes of friendly scientists. I credit weirdass console hardware (and a love of level editing) with making me a PC game-enjoying-dude.

I was going to say it only worked for a few games- Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark 64, Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer, and Donkey Kong 64 were the only ones I knew of- but it worked for a bunch of them surprisingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Expansion_Pak

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Christoph posted:

The Fighter Stick

I would play every game on this if I could, but sadly it's only for the SNES. It still works like magic, even though me and my brother must've run through half a dozen of the original controllers- this thing outlasted them all. It's taken a lot of abuse, but has a lot of solid metal parts and is pretty heavy. It's the World War II-era furniture of the off-brand video game controller world.

Never could figure out what that little slider thing in the bottom middle was for, though.

That slider might be to control the slow-motion mode speed(Which is just a turbo for the Start button)

I'm a Super Advantage owner myself:

Same company, pretty similar build. This one's actually bigger than the SNES itself and has a metal bottom plate. I still use mine on my PC with a Super Smartjoy(SNES to USB adapter). Still a great stick for fighting games, and the layout is ambiguous enough to work for both SNK and Capcom-style fighters.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Christoph posted:

The Fighter Stick

I had that too but completely forgot about it. Didn't love it as much as you. The slider controlled the rate of turbo (and maybe slow mo as the poster above said, but I forget).

On a similar note, this was my joystick of choice for Commodore 64.

I always thought it was a better/more comfortable design than the NES gamepad. Even had a trigger button under your index finger, which wasn't seen again for decades.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Killer robot posted:

"Soda Stuff"

Along these lines, do you or anyone else remember the what the "extra large" drink cups at places used to look like? Rather than the normal cup and lid that we have everywhere today, some places used to have these strange cups that were round at the bottom like a regular cup then would become more boxy as along the top.

Rather than a lid, the top folded in like a milk carton with a plastic tab holding it together and you punched out a hole to put your straw through.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Nov 15, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along these lines, do you or anyone else remember the what the "extra large" drink cups at places used to look like? Rather than the normal cup and lid that we have everywhere today, some places used to have these strange cups that were round at the bottom like a regular cup then would become more boxy as along the top.

Rather than a lid, the top folded in like a milk carton with a plastic tab holding it together and you punched out a hole to put your straw through.

I remember exactly what you mean, but damned if I can find a picture. It took ten minutes to find a clearly illustrated 80s soda bottle, for that matter. I think I mostly recall those from KFC, or maybe Red Barn, but I know a lot of places had them. Since they could crimp shut on top it was more solidly covered than a typical cap.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think I mostly remembered them from local mom-and-pop fast food places, but the last time I think I saw any was the mid-80s. It's likely that the bigger chains were able to just faze them out sooner. But now that you mention it, KFC does strike a memory with me and those cups.

This site has an image of the CLOSEST thing I can find to those old-styled cups, but they're a new cup with a more modern design.

http://thecompleat.com/

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ron Burgundy posted:

I've always thought that Battersea power station had the best looking control rooms.

The art deco 1929 control room A on the left of the photo, and the early atomic age styled 1945 control room B on the right.

This is the control room for the first production reactor in Sweden, Ågestaverket. It was built as a research reactor, but also provided heat and electricity to the Stockholm area.

When it was mothballed in 1974, all radioactive material was removed, but the plant itself was left intact. Very few people are allowed in to see it, but I hope it will be turned into a museum some day.

Gregslo
Dec 9, 2005

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?
The pic I posted above is in fact a control room from a nuclear power plant (although not the one I work at). Those massive computer I mentioned control ever aspect of the reactor with cards in double or triple redundancy for safety reasons. It's pretty amazing to see how engineers in the 1960's would just make poo poo happen.

Sagebrush posted:

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people have seen Cerenkov radiation in person. For example, every nuclear scientist, and every person who's ever worked around an immersion research reactor, like that at Texas A&M and hundreds of other universities worldwide. What you saw was basically standard operating procedure -- as long as you have that twenty feet of water between you and the reactor core it's perfectly safe.

I read somewhere that "scram" is actually an acronym for "safety control rod axe man". In the earliest reactors built in the 1930s, the safety mechanism was literally a bunch of control rods hanging from ropes above the reactor, and if something went awry there was a dedicated axe-man who would chop the main rope and cause the rods to drop into place, halting the reaction. I know that that is indeed how the first reactors' control rods operated, but I don't know if that's actually why they use the term "scram".

At Penn State we used to "pulse" our research reactor and produce a huge flash of Cherenkov radiation. To pulse the reactor we would run it at about 10 watts then fire the central control rod out with compressed air, the power would spike to about 1,000 mega watts then drop back down to baseline in a few milliseconds. It was always a good day when you got to see that.

SCRAM does in fact mean safety control rod axe man and SCRAMing a reactor means it was shut down by dropping all of the control rods in as fast as possible. It's the official term for that situation, even the NRC uses it in their reports. It's one of the few nuclear engineering jokes out there. My favorite is the unit of cross-section for neutron absorption is called a "barn" since hitting a U-235 nucleus with a neutron is like hitting the broad side of a barn. So it makes sense that a microbarn is called an "outhouse" and a 10^-24 barns is called a "shed."

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Killer robot posted:

Old canned water from civil defense programs. It's really not that different from a lot of beer cans of the era, I gather, and might have come off the same bottling lines as such. Before there were even pull tabs and you needed to punch an opening with a churchkey opener.

The more things change, etc.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Killer robot posted:

I also got this stuff there:

I don't remember those days, but I do remember this era:

Pull tabs that ended up tossed on the ground where you could cut bare feet, flat-sided steel or bimetal cans. And brown 7-Up labels, I don't even remember that. It looks so foreign now that I'm used to sculpted aluminum with stay-tabs. By the way, I heard stay-tabs took literal years of design and experimentation before commercial adoption. Not that they're that complicated in principle, but they needed to make them with a minimum of materials and with a basically zero failure rate to not upset customers. The cans have also gotten thinner and lighter over the years, for related cost-savings reasons. When you make millions of something, every gram shaved off by better designs and manufacturing processes saves money. Remember these 2-liter bottles?

Specifically the separate opaque plastic bottom. 1970s-80s manufacturing processes weren't up to making a single piece bottom that both would stand up stably and not crack or break under pressure when treated as roughly as people treat plastic bottles. Once they got that working right, they ditched the base and 25% of the plastic needed. Plastic caps came along later, and still more recently they moved toward shorter caps that use even less materials. Modern bottles have a lot of performance margin too. They're tested to take 100psi, and they're durable enough to take dozens of reuses and repressurizations if you do homemade soda or something.

Also, remember 10 and 16 ounce glass bottles with styrofoam labels, before they got around to making single-serving plastic bottles?

Yes, I love the march of packaging technology. Well, other than the ones that increase shelf life at the expense of making things drat hard to open. And I mourn the obsolete technology of instant-win contests that don't require you to go to the company website and register to enter the number on the cap.

My grandfather actually was one of the R&D scientists at Continental Can Company, and he worked directly on both of those projects. The current five-prong shape of soda bottle bottoms came from his group - he hired a sculptor to make the shape attractive once they figured out how to manufacture a solid-enough bottom.

It really was the work of years, too. When my mother was in college and law school, now and then she'd mention on the phone that some new soda bottle designs had hit the shelves, and my grandfather always had her send them some for competition research. Then the bottles would arrive all exploded, and his team would basically say "Well, that's clearly not it," and get back to work.

Earlier in his career, at Monsanto, he was on one of the R&D guys focusing on the original productization of plastics, including coating the inside of cans to prevent rust. Until my idiot uncle threw them out after my grandparents died, we had some memento pop-beads, which were the original shipping and storage unit for plastic before it was melted and molded for use.

My grandfather was a real nerd-type inventor; he often got frustrated when corporate would react to an invention with a "We can't sell that." For example: a one-at-a-time cracker dispenser. Most crackers would crumble to pieces being run through those screw threads, but who cares? It's a simple and elegant way to accomplish something almost nobody wants: getting only one cracker at a time straight out of the package. :science:

He still worked in retirement, and one of the neater jobs was consulting on making a zero-G fire extinguisher for high-altitude planes and spacecraft. The big problem was that water-sprayers would aerosolize in freefall and fail to smother the fire.

The solution came to him when he shaved one morning and really paid attention to his shaving cream. Oh, pressurized foam! :downs:

He died of end-stage emphasyma. Don't smoke, kids.

Factory Factory has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Nov 15, 2012

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

That and others like Super Critical Reactor Axe Man are backronyms. Sounds like it would have been fun to talk about around the lab, though

:) I heard you're on the Chicago Pile team, what do you do?
:black101: If something goes wrong, I stop the reactor with an axe.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Smoke posted:

Same company, pretty similar build. This one's actually bigger than the SNES itself and has a metal bottom plate. I still use mine on my PC with a Super Smartjoy(SNES to USB adapter). Still a great stick for fighting games, and the layout is ambiguous enough to work for both SNK and Capcom-style fighters.

I put two thigh shaped rust spots on the metal base plate of mine. Wore a groove into the stick too. Still works perfectly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Killer robot posted:

Pull tabs that ended up tossed on the ground where you could cut bare feet, flat-sided steel or bimetal cans. And brown 7-Up labels, I don't even remember that. It looks so foreign now that I'm used to sculpted aluminum with stay-tabs.

I swear when I first scrolled past this image, I thought these were those old "dancing" soda cans you could get back in like the late 80s and early 90s. The top looks just like the pull tab tops here, which was odd since those types of tabs weren't in use when we actually bought the dancing cans.

:dance: :slick:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ozz81 posted:

I swear when I first scrolled past this image, I thought these were those old "dancing" soda cans you could get back in like the late 80s and early 90s. The top looks just like the pull tab tops here, which was odd since those types of tabs weren't in use when we actually bought the dancing cans.

:dance: :slick:

Lots of toys danced for a few years. We had that can, a big dancing Kool-Aid character, but in my kid-mind THESE were the original:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

lavaca posted:

Hanford does offer tours, but you have to sign up within an hour or two of when they make the slots available. When I visited in April, they let us go into the original ("B") reactor and look around. Here is a picture from the control room that seems appropriate:

The best part is peeking around the control panels and seeing thousands of wires coming out of every switch and display.

The Hanford tours only show you plutonium production reactors which were designed in the early 1940's. I was talking specifically about the commercial nuclear power plant on the edge of the Hanford reservation, the Columbia Generating Station. The control rooms are quite different. B-reactor was the first ever "big" reactor and not just a pile in a field. The reactor core was a huge block of graphite with holes cut in it for the uranium rods. Average length of time in the core: about one month.
And how would they eject rods from the core? It would be a guy with a long rod pushing into the rod channel from one side of the reactor so that the desired spent fuel rod would fall out the other side into a water basin.
The rods would spend some time in there to let the short lived radionuclides decay. Then they were loaded on open trolleys and carted a few miles through the desert to one of the gigantic processing canyon plants.
The history and engineering of that place is simply fascinating. I have worked there off and on for ten years.
Fun fact: the reactors had open loop cooling. River water from the Columbia would enter the reactor core for a single pass, then spend a few hours in open air cooling basins, and then be discharged right back into the river. At the heyday of production, Hanford plants released approximately 14,000 curies of activity into the river each day. It's mind-boggling.

Also: of over a dozen Hanford nuclear reactors, only one produced electric power. The others were single purpose plutonium production reactors that discharged their waste heat into river water.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Nov 15, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Smoke posted:

Same here. Had one as a kid, and bought one a couple of months ago as part of my retro collecting binge. It really is built like a tank, and a great stick, even if fighting game enthusiasts sometimes complain about the L / R button positions [the gray buttons] since the buttons aren't in two rows of three like a normal arcade stick.

Now then, its daddy:

This thing is indestructible. I should know - I had one as a kid, and was prone to gettin' mad at video games. This thing took all the pounding I gave it and kept on truckin'. It's a truly great stick.

Also, I totally love the style of both sticks.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Farbtoner posted:

The more things change, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these for disaster relief and they only churn them out as needed? I remember Anheuser Busch gave a poo poo ton of water to the 2004 tsunami relief.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Jibo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these for disaster relief and they only churn them out as needed? I remember Anheuser Busch gave a poo poo ton of water to the 2004 tsunami relief.

What advantage does a can have over a plastic bottle in that situation? Just curious.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Code Jockey posted:

Same here. Had one as a kid, and bought one a couple of months ago as part of my retro collecting binge. It really is built like a tank, and a great stick, even if fighting game enthusiasts sometimes complain about the L / R button positions [the gray buttons] since the buttons aren't in two rows of three like a normal arcade stick.

Now then, its daddy:

This thing is indestructible. I should know - I had one as a kid, and was prone to gettin' mad at video games. This thing took all the pounding I gave it and kept on truckin'. It's a truly great stick.

Also, I totally love the style of both sticks.
I actually cracked the plastic on my NES advantage around the joystick from pushing right too hard. Still works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What advantage does a can have over a plastic bottle in that situation? Just curious.

The fact that their plants are already set up to churn them out by the millions.

E: Also easier to ship half way across the world in bulk.