Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Dog Jones posted:

What are the classic, definitive black metal records I should check out?

Lyrically, black metal is very silly. If you're just worried about the racism content, though, that's actually pretty rare. Learn to enjoy the absurd or pretend it's not there, whatever works for you. As for classics, definitely check out Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger and the Emperor/Enslaved split. I'm tempted to just vomit a solid page of names at you but in the interest of restraint I'll just toss out a few classics that aren't really pillars of the genre (I trust other people here to mostly cover that) but that I think everyone should hear at least once anyway.

Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black is bass-heavy Greek stuff that I loving love and I always wish I could find more that sounds like it. Gorgoroth - Antichrist is the best thing Gorgoroth ever put out. Lots of people will say Pentagram was better but they're wrong. Impaled Nazarene - Suomi Finland Perkele is catchy. Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon is probably responsible for a lot of silliness in the vocal department since it was released, but I still think it's worth checking out. Dissection - The Somberlain is an important complement to Burzum for the "musicians who murdered someone" part of your collection. Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns is really cool if you don't think "melodic" is a dirty word yet. Finally, it's not a big name but Arckanum - Kampen is just so loving cool I have to plug it at every possible opportunity. Just listen to this. Does it for me every time.

Okay I completely failed at keeping this short. At least there's variety! Anyway, I'm on a major punk kick lately, so I'm also going to tell you to listen to everything linked on the previous page. Especially Midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Dog Jones posted:

I'm getting into black metal now, and Burzum is loving tight. What is up with his crazy loving ideas though? I'm scared to read the lyrics because I might find out these awesome tracks are about a bunch of stupid poo poo.

Anyway, I'm new to this genre but I'm really feeling it. I've listened to Ulver's first four records and Burzum's discography (among a few others). What are the classic, definitive black metal records I should check out?

Burzum's lyrics aren't racist or anything. They're mostly about Middle Earth, and occasionally satan, well the early stuff at lest. Now its Norse mythology.

As for Recs I'd get All the early Darkthrone from A Blaze in the Northern Sky to Panzerfaust. Pure Holocaust by Immortal is also a great entry point. For Mayhem get Live in Leipzeg, Deathcrush, and De Misereis dom whatever the gently caress it is.

Also get into some first wave stuff, You'll like Bathory's first 3 albums if you like Burzum.

Oh yeah I'm kinda new to the Black Metal topic, so I hope you guys will let me into your evil Goon Inner Circle of evil :black101:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Personperson14 posted:

Burzum's lyrics aren't racist or anything. They're mostly about Middle Earth, and occasionally satan, well the early stuff at lest. Now its Norse mythology.

Yeah, you'd never know about the dude's extracurricular stupidity if all you had to go on was his lyrics.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Dog Jones posted:

I'm getting into black metal now, and Burzum is loving tight. What is up with his crazy loving ideas though? I'm scared to read the lyrics because I might find out these awesome tracks are about a bunch of stupid poo poo.

Anyway, I'm new to this genre but I'm really feeling it. I've listened to Ulver's first four records and Burzum's discography (among a few others). What are the classic, definitive black metal records I should check out?

Dunno about classic or definitive but you might like some of these bands if you like Burzum and Ulver:
Strid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimQ0rS7fJw
Vlad Tepes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2b1tyHyE20
Nyktalgia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6TOGnAMQ0Q
Nidhoggr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0QLy-SZEmQ
Baptism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljyWzGyMaX4

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 15, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Personperson14 posted:

Yeah, now it's all about Norse mythology, but it's mostly about how cool Norse mythology is because of how awesome white people are. (See: the idea behind Belus)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yeah when Varg was in jail he got really into Norse Myth and wrote several essays about how awesome white people are and how less awesome other people are.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, is anyone else going to try and hit one of the Negative Plane (w/ Vomitor) tour dates coming up soon?

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 15, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
You know, bringing up Root earlier made me go back and rediscover them this week. Listening to albums I never gave a fighting chance like Heritage of Satan. This band really is a breath of fresh air throughout their entire career. Black metal that defies any rigid genre rules most bands live under. Even Big Boss' vocals are growing on me. A 60 year old bald fat man running around doing this demands some respect :black101:

This song reminds me of what Samael SHOULD have loving done after Passage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuBtMYaNQ6A

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Czech sounds like Lord of the Rings black speech

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

nerve posted:

If you're going to be a metal fan, black metal especially, it's best to ignore the message and just enjoy the music.

To me the vocals in any black metal song is just another instrument.

Anyone got more bands like Gehenna? Especially like these two songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SicNOdOfZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMs1hwEl_Q

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, is anyone else going to try and hit one of the Negative Plane (w/ Vomitor) tour dates coming up soon?

I'll likely be going to the Baltimore date, but I'm kind of on the fence since the "venue" is a hipster tex-mex restaurant. The last show I saw there (Alcest and Deafheaven) left the bands kind of confused and unhappy, since there was no effective monitoring system and people were literally sitting at tables and eating burritos while they were playing.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

But confused and unhappy is what Alcest is all about

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
I would eat a burrito to Negative Plane :colbert:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Anyone able to eat in the presence of Vomitor's Deathdealer's gig jeans has no sense of smell. He hasn't washed them for 23+ years. And they've seen some amount of piss and puke.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That sounds loving awesome. Burritos and Black metal. What's not to like?

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
Does anyone know Vothana? I just got turned on to him yesterday, Vietnamese black metal based out of Minneapolis, MN. It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7lSZ08bSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcksN3460c

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Jusupov posted:

To me the vocals in any black metal song is just another instrument.

This is how I feel about most harsh vocals to be honest. It's why I can't get into the hardcore/metalcore vocals at all, because it sounds like crap and isn't anywhere near melodic.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for black metal compilations on 12"? I'm trying to keep my christmas list cheap, but I'm always interested in hearing new artists. Specifically anything that sounds like Thou, Wolves In The Throne Room, Emperor, False.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Monkeytime posted:

I'll likely be going to the Baltimore date, but I'm kind of on the fence since the "venue" is a hipster tex-mex restaurant.

The Richmond, VA is in a pretty sweet venue which is also an arcade (remember those places you used to go to play video games?) called Strange Matter. Could be pretty cool to play Golden Axe and listen to Negative Plane.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Unbootable posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for black metal compilations on 12"? I'm trying to keep my christmas list cheap, but I'm always interested in hearing new artists. Specifically anything that sounds like Thou, Wolves In The Throne Room, Emperor, False.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sounds like the best thing to do would be to have a browse round Bandcamp listening to a few artists linked to, or similar to those you mentioned, and then chose a couple of records of the bands you liked from what you heard. I would suggest checking out Skagos, Barghest (did a split with False), Fell Voices (on the same record label as False),Panopticon, Ash Borer, Velnias, Altar of Plagues, Fen. All the names up to Ash Borer have Bandcamps where you can stream the artist's releases. I hope you find something you like, I personally would recommend getting Skagos- Ast on vinyl, it sounds great and is very well presented, with an impressive etching on one of the sides.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, Marduk and Moonspell are touring the US next year as "Voices from the Dark" with Inquisition, The Foreshadowing and Death Wolf (Marduk side project formally the Misfits/Samhain cover band Devils Whorehouse). This could be fun. Dates to follow.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'd like to see Marduk but....fuckin moonspell? :confused:

It better not be an hour away. None of the other bands do a thing to lure me out of the house.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Inquisition are amazing live, and will blow everyone away on the stage.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Seconding this. Marduk is a really entertaining live band though I don't find myself listening to them too much on record, but Inquisition is pretty amazing all around.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I didn't know Moonspell were still alive. Bit odd that they're touring with Marduk and Inquisition.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Never heard 2 people make such a racket. Absolutely massive sound on stage, and they have the songs to back it up. Ominous Doctrines... is a brilliant album. (The other ones are great too, but I think Ominous Doctrines is my favourite)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I had never heard Inquisition at all up until about a month ago and I am extremely excited by the possibility of seeing them live. I don't suppose they ever play their older stuff? Forever Under has gotten even more play time from me than their most recent couple.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Musically I guess they're alright, aside from the god awful snare drum tone, but gently caress someone needs to show them Impaled Northern Moon Forest. Their album and song names are exactly what Seth was talking about.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Smekerman posted:

So have any of you guys heard the new Dordeduh? They're the off-shoot band Hupogrammos and Sol Faur formed after leaving Negura Bunget. I'm not sure if anyone cares about Romanian black metal around these parts, but to my ears it's some of the best progressive/folk black metal I've heard in a long while and is probably my album of the year. I also think it's better than Negura Bunget's Om. It has better songwriting, more reigned-in keyboards, better integrated folk parts, better playing... I dunno, I guess I just find it better overall. Om does have a few really awesome songs, but I think Dordeduh outshines them.

Their label's streaming the entire album on Youtube, so here's three songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG9Fu2Hu3DM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVnsCsd7is
I've never heard of these guys before but the first track impressed the hell out of me.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Morbid Florist posted:

Musically I guess they're alright, aside from the god awful snare drum tone, but gently caress someone needs to show them Impaled Northern Moon Forest. Their album and song names are exactly what Seth was talking about.

Who gives a poo poo

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Hail Satan

http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=L75XPFwiUyw&start=0m14s&end=0m26s

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Oh man, a friend of mine stumbled on this today: http://bargainbinblasphemy.tumblr.com/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Yeah I saw that on MetalSucks today. It owns.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Wrath of the Weak put up all of their stuff for free on Bandcamp.

http://wrathoftheweak.bandcamp.com/

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Weaponized Cum posted:

Wrath of the Weak put up all of their stuff for free on Bandcamp.

http://wrathoftheweak.bandcamp.com/

Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Just out of curiosity, what are peoples' favorite black metal albums of the year? Here's some of mine:

A Forest of Stars - "A Shadowplay for Yesterdays"
Azoic - "Gateways"
Dark Forest - "Land of the Evening Star"
The Great Old Ones - "Al Azif"
Winterfylleth - "The Threnody of Triumph"

I would also like to give a shoutout to Krallice - "Years Past Matter". It's a very solid album, and would usually be competitive in most other years for AOTY in my opinion. However, this was a ridiculous year for black metal! I would also like to mention Hellvetron's and Wrathprayer's albums, but I'm not sure if I could count them as outright black metal, since they're more black/death. Similar is Ne Obliviscaris - "Portal of I", which is just one of the most amazing works of music I have ever heard. Another honorable mention goes to Cloak of Altering - "Ancient Paths Through Timeless Voids", which probably could be top 5, but I need to give it more listens as it just came out not too long ago.

EDIT: Forgot MGLA "With Hearts Toward None", which is just ridiculous.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'll second Winterfylleth and Great Old Ones - really digging both of those. Ne Obliviscaris was amazing as well but you're right, it's more prog than black metal. The new Krallice seems pretty good but I haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet.

Kentucky by Panopticon is one of the better albums I've heard in a while, of any subgenre. I thought Becoming (Abigail Williams) was incredible but I'll probably get laughed out of the thread for that one.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 12, 2012

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The new Krallice pleasantly surprised me actually, much less of a chore to listen to than most of their stuff. A couple of tracks are even pretty good, although I don't have the slightest loving clue which ones because "IIIIIIII" isn't really all that easy to distinguish at a glance from "IIIIIIIII".

The new Cloak of Altering I really wanted to like since I generally love Mories' stuff and in particular I thought his first album as Cloak of Altering was fantastic, but it hasn't really grabbed me. Neither has his latest as De Magia Veterum. :shrug:

Actually I'm kind of having a hard time thinking of straight-up black metal full-lengths this year that I really liked. There were a lot of good demos/EPs (Wylve, The Rain in Endless Fall x2, Axis of Light, Thenn, Ash Pool, Din of Awakening, Rhinocervs) but the only full albums I've really been replaying are Ash Borer and Revenge. I guess I also liked Spectral Lore - Sentinel but that huuuuuge outro always turns me off listening to it again unfortunately.

vvv yeah. Really glad that got a rerelease, just because of the tracks off the split with Tukaaria. The Scavenger goddamn

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 12, 2012

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Grabbed the Odz Manouk s/t recently. I'm kind of behind on stuff. Really, really good I think.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'll second Winterfylleth and Great Old Ones - really digging both of those. Ne Obliviscaris was amazing as well but you're right, it's more prog than black metal. The new Krallice seems pretty good but I haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet.

Kentucky by Panopticon is one of the better albums I've heard in a while, of any subgenre. I thought Becoming (Abigail Williams) was incredible but I'll probably get laughed out of the thread for that one.

I liked "Kentucky" and "Becoming" a lot as well, but they need more listens, especially the latter one.

skasion posted:

Actually I'm kind of having a hard time thinking of straight-up black metal full-lengths this year that I really liked. There were a lot of good demos/EPs (Wylve, The Rain in Endless Fall x2, Axis of Light, Thenn, Ash Pool, Din of Awakening, Rhinocervs) but the only full albums I've really been replaying are Ash Borer and Revenge. I guess I also liked Spectral Lore - Sentinel but that huuuuuge outro always turns me off listening to it again unfortunately.

vvv yeah. Really glad that got a rerelease, just because of the tracks off the split with Tukaaria. The Scavenger goddamn

I love TRiEF and Rhinocervs! Just found out about Tukaaria very recently though, but I like what I'm hearing. I also liked Agalloch's "Faustian Echoes" a lot (I find it to be way more blackened than any of their previous releases, so I think I can say that hered!). There was one song released by a band called Black Monolith that I liked, but all they have is that one song and a very short demo from 2011. Cursed Altar, Hellebore, K.L.L.K., and Pravus Abyssus also had very good demos.

There's also several more albums that I need to listen to more that I think were really good; namely, albums by Wilt, White Oak, Vattnet Viskar, Oak Pantheon, Maglor, Dordeduh, and Dead Hills.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

- Hoagascht by Lunar Aurora was reeeally nice
- Darkenhöld's Echoes from the Stone Keeper was pretty cool in spite of the weak production
- Baptism remain consistently good
- Wodensthrone really surprised me with how good Curse was
- Teitanblood only release a couple of EPs but they're insanely good
- Kaevum's Natur is probably the NSBM AOTY

Other cool releases: Genocide Shrines, Hades Archer, Fhoi Myore, umm Mongrel's Cross?

Stinkers: Ofermod, Nachtmystium, Burzum, Deathspell Omega. Still can't get into Weapon either.

edited with youtube links

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Sigh and Blut aus Nord were my favourites of the year, between the two of them there's still like a spatter of black metal there.