Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh sweet the latest version of Workstation 8.0.5/9.0.5 doesn't require anything zany to get working on fedora 17. I can now move back away from windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

My medium-ish company is in the very early planning stages of rolling out thin clients with VMWare View to our branches. We own a few dozen shops that have a computer or two, and only do POS-type stuff like managing work orders, ordering parts, light web browsing, and e-mail. Each of these shops has a full T1 line. HQ has a 50Mb fiber line, and we have a colo with a 30Mb fiber line.

According to VMware, a T1 line can support between 8-24 View users. Each shop would only have 2 thin clients. It sounds like we could do this with bandwidth to spare, but I'm skeptical. Does anyone have an experience with this kind of scenario?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Raere posted:

My medium-ish company is in the very early planning stages of rolling out thin clients with VMWare View to our branches. We own a few dozen shops that have a computer or two, and only do POS-type stuff like managing work orders, ordering parts, light web browsing, and e-mail. Each of these shops has a full T1 line. HQ has a 50Mb fiber line, and we have a colo with a 30Mb fiber line.

According to VMware, a T1 line can support between 8-24 View users. Each shop would only have 2 thin clients. It sounds like we could do this with bandwidth to spare, but I'm skeptical. Does anyone have an experience with this kind of scenario?

2 thin clients will be fine on a T1, disable Areo and a follow the VDI performance tweaks.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2010/08/31/optimising-windows-7-images-for-use-in-vdi.aspx
neat little script too.

How many end users are you looking at exactly? +30Mb/s up/down should be fine. I usually guesstimate 128-256kbps per desktop, depends on printing as well. That should give you enough for anyone wanting to watch "company training videos" or such.

E:
ALso what's the latency from and to branch offices?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 8, 2012

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

2 thin clients will be fine on a T1, disable Areo and a follow the VDI performance tweaks.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2010/08/31/optimising-windows-7-images-for-use-in-vdi.aspx
neat little script too.

How many end users are you looking at exactly? +30Mb/s up/down should be fine. I usually guesstimate 128-256kbps per desktop, depends on printing as well. That should give you enough for anyone wanting to watch "company training videos" or such.

E:
ALso what's the latency from and to branch offices?

Probably 80 end users now, but we're looking to expand. One of the computers in the branch would be in use all day, but the second one is only used for a few minutes here and there. So probably 40 users at any given time, with 80 as a peak.

Latency is good, ~20-30ms.

I guess I'm just surprised at how little bandwidth these things use. I was expecting them to only be useable on a LAN.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
That should be fine, if you are using thin clients you can also do host side caching to reduce things even further.
http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/www/mL.cfm?menu=topfreecourses
Go down the "VMware View Design Best Practices - What's New [V5.X]", it will give you a whole bunch of tips to reduce bandwidth needed

Let me know any concerns you have, I work a great deal with view because everyone is starting to jump on the BYOD bandwagon.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

I've inherited a vCenter install and don't know the (Oracle) database passwords for the vCenter and Update Manager databases. There's no way to say find these in the registry or anything, right?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Do you have an admin account to the DB you can reset the passwords to? Then just reset the password to that user account, and apply the new credentials on the vCenter server.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Corvettefisher posted:

Do you have an admin account to the DB you can reset the passwords to? Then just reset the password to that user account, and apply the new credentials on the vCenter server.

Yeah, that's the plan, I was just hoping to not have to reset the password if it is possible to recover it from the registry or something.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

BnT posted:

Yeah, that's the plan, I was just hoping to not have to reset the password if it is possible to recover it from the registry or something.

Sorry I don't know how to find that out, do you have an active SnS with VMware, or oracle? They might be able to help you, but more than likely they will suggest the method about.

I know siw.exe can sometimes dig up passwords, doubt it would work in this case.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

We're currently trying to reduce the amount of rack space we're using, so we're in the process of P2Ving older servers onto more powerful ESX hosts.

For the most part I've been using the latest version of VMware converter, but have hit a snag with a few of the servers that have GPT partitions as these aren't compatible with the tool. I've done some research and it looks like other, similar tools like ShadowProtect have the same problem.

I'm in the process of trying a bare metal restore, but is anyone aware of a better way?

Loten fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 14, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I usually don't to P2V unless it is neither cost effective or possible to do a backup/restore, or migrate services to a newly built VM.

Acronis might have some solutions though, I have heard some good things about their P2V and V2P products.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

The ones I've done so far have been mostly due to current or imminent hardware failures - exploding raid batteries (twice in 3 months) and dead disks on servers old enough that it was easier to P2V than to source a new disk.

The next batch is a terminal services farm with a ton of apps which will be messy to bring up on a new server. These are 2K8R2 servers that were installed in physicals prior to Microsoft supporting TS on a virtual environment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Not sure if this will be any use to you.
http://www.visionsolutions.com/Products/DT-Move.aspx

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Does that work with GPT disks? I can't see anything on their site which seems to indicate that it does.

*edit*
From Technet:
Cause

This behavior is by design. VMM does not support GPT disks on P2V targets. To successfully migrate a machine with a GPT disk, you must first convert the disk to MBR format.

Resolution

To allow conversion of machines with GPT partitions, you must first convert the partition to MBR. There are two workarounds that may be used:

Option 1: Back up data on the physical machine

Back up existing data using your existing backup solution.
Delete any existing partitions on the disk(s)
Right-click on the disk and choose Convert to MBR.
Restore your data using your backup solution
Restart the computer and retry the P2V operation.
Option 2:

Use the Disk2VHD tool from http://live.sysinternals.com/disk2vhd.exe to convert the partition(s) to VHD files.
Create a new VM and attach the VM from step 1 to the VHD.
Boot the operating system from the OS installation media, and use the appropriate repair steps to make the disk bootable:
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:

KB321626 - "Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message when you start your Windows XP-based computer (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321626)

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008:

KB927392 - How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us)

Loten fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 14, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://blogs.vmware.com/hol/2012/11/the-vmware-hands-on-labs-online-public-beta-is-now-open.html

Signups for the Hands On Lab beta's opened today

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
If I buy VMWare Fusion for OS X, can I run my existing bootcamp install from within OS X?

The website mentions running applications from my existing bootcamp installation along side my OS X applications, but I'm not sure what exactly it means.

Do I have my full existing Windows bootcamp environment desktop running as a VM in OS X or does it mean I can select an exe from my bootcamp install and have it run inside OS X?

Edit: An answer was posted in the OS X software megathread. It will load your bootcamp partition as a VM, neat!

Secx fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 14, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's the first one, basically it just uses the boot camp partition instead of creating a virtual disk. So any changes you make in the VM persist when you directly boot into Boot Camp and vice versa.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Secx posted:

Edit: An answer was posted in the OS X software megathread. It will load your bootcamp partition as a VM, neat!
The best is to just give your bootcamp VM its own desktop, then you can just ctrl+arrow to it and back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I've got someone who wants to run ESXi on a whitebox (Supermicro, in particular) but they also want to do it with entirely local storage, no NAS/SAN/crazy passthrough all-in-one setup. They're currently using a LSI RAID controller to handle the local storage, but it doesn't seem to have any way to pop an alert within ESXi if the RAID degrades.

I've only ever used ESXi in places where, for a variety of reasons, I don't care if the way I find out local storage is dead is by the server not responding...but does anyone know how (or even if) ESXi can report RAID status without relying on a setup like HP's iLO or Dell's DRAC?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Depends there is a hardware tab that allows you to view the status of the hardware, however that is probably not as detailed as you want.

The only way I know is to go about :
The Supermicro server should have during something during boot a key combination you can press to configure a management IP; from there you should be able to dial into the host and see a more detailed status of the hardware.

E: What is the server model and raid card
http://www.wobblycogs.co.uk/index.php/computing/hardware/115-monitoring-an-lsi-megaraid-on-esxi-5
This might be of some use, however it might not report degraded, at best it will probably report WARNING or ALERT.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 15, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

So I've got someone who wants to run ESXi on a whitebox (Supermicro, in particular) but they also want to do it with entirely local storage, no NAS/SAN/crazy passthrough all-in-one setup.
Run and don't look back.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Typically you have CIM drivers installed that will pass the detailed hardware information to ESXi. HP and Dell have ESXi ISOs that come with these drivers preinstalled. But, that's what you're looking for: CIM drivers for the LSI raid controller, which may or may not exist.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Depends there is a hardware tab that allows you to view the status of the hardware, however that is probably not as detailed as you want.

The only way I know is to go about :
The Supermicro server should have during something during boot a key combination you can press to configure a management IP; from there you should be able to dial into the host and see a more detailed status of the hardware.

E: What is the server model and raid card
http://www.wobblycogs.co.uk/index.php/computing/hardware/115-monitoring-an-lsi-megaraid-on-esxi-5
This might be of some use, however it might not report degraded, at best it will probably report WARNING or ALERT.

That's the method we tried to get him to go with but for whatever reason either he isn't able to get it to work or he just doesn't like what it spits back. X9DRW-iF motherboard and a LSI2008 controller.

evil_bunnY posted:

Run and don't look back.

This is increasingly looking like the best option. Only other option I've got to suggest to him is to set up a third box using Nexenta or something similar to do the actual VM storage on and to stop giving a gently caress about the local disk in the ESXi boxes.

madsushi posted:

Typically you have CIM drivers installed that will pass the detailed hardware information to ESXi. HP and Dell have ESXi ISOs that come with these drivers preinstalled. But, that's what you're looking for: CIM drivers for the LSI raid controller, which may or may not exist.

Yeah, I don't think a full CIM driver exists for these LSI cards, and I can't seem to find any reliable documentation on any controllers that do specifically have CIM drivers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So I've got someone who wants to run ESXi on a whitebox (Supermicro, in particular) but they also want to do it with entirely local storage, no NAS/SAN/crazy passthrough all-in-one setup. They're currently using a LSI RAID controller to handle the local storage, but it doesn't seem to have any way to pop an alert within ESXi if the RAID degrades.

I've only ever used ESXi in places where, for a variety of reasons, I don't care if the way I find out local storage is dead is by the server not responding...but does anyone know how (or even if) ESXi can report RAID status without relying on a setup like HP's iLO or Dell's DRAC?

As long as you've got someone who checks on the server every day you should be okay. A drive failed once and the guy that checks the tape backups said "Hey there's a yellow light blinking on the server in the middle of a bunch of green lights, and the little panel says 'DRIVE 3 OFFLINE'

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Loten posted:

We're currently trying to reduce the amount of rack space we're using, so we're in the process of P2Ving older servers onto more powerful ESX hosts.

For the most part I've been using the latest version of VMware converter, but have hit a snag with a few of the servers that have GPT partitions as these aren't compatible with the tool. I've done some research and it looks like other, similar tools like ShadowProtect have the same problem.

I'm in the process of trying a bare metal restore, but is anyone aware of a better way?

Well first P2V isn't always the best thing to do. I use it primarily to setup boxes with legacy software that we no longer have support to do a fresh install of.

But you gotta do what you gotta do.

When doing the P2V setup only P2V the C: drive. Then create your other two volumes manually and robocopy their data over from old server to new server.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

madsushi posted:

This. By the way does anyone have the ESX 5.1 link for HP handy? I'd like to give it a spin but gently caress trying to find it on their godawful website.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Rhymenoserous posted:

This. By the way does anyone have the ESX 5.1 link for HP handy? I'd like to give it a spin but gently caress trying to find it on their godawful website.

I thought HP's version was actually downloadable via VMware's site on one of the additional download tabs?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.1.0-GA-10SEP2012&productId=285

link just incase

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Are there any resources specifically on using vCloud Director for software testing environments that are Windows-based? Our test environment is 4 Windows VMs plus a dependancy on a spearate file server, and I assume if I were to make it into a deployable vApp that would get walled off from the production network, I'd need to include a domain controller.

I'm looking for some kind of step by step of someone who has done this. Eventually I'd like each of our developers to be able to fire up a clean test environment any time they want.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Erwin posted:

Are there any resources specifically on using vCloud Director for software testing environments that are Windows-based? Our test environment is 4 Windows VMs plus a dependancy on a spearate file server, and I assume if I were to make it into a deployable vApp that would get walled off from the production network, I'd need to include a domain controller.

I'm looking for some kind of step by step of someone who has done this. Eventually I'd like each of our developers to be able to fire up a clean test environment any time they want.

What specifically do they need from the external server? If they just need to copy files in then that should be fine. If they need to change things on the fileserver though that can complicate things.

Also yeah if you want them to join AD you'll probably want to toss a domain controller in there if your application actually needs it. One of my customer's actually don't need AD to do the software development so windows machines are just provisioned with local accounts and they're good with that.

I dunno if any resources specifically exist that are publicly available but I can certainly answer any questions you may have.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I'm learning malware analysis and need all the fancy snapshot rollback functionality will Windows 8 Hyper-V be enough? A Windows 8 license for my laptop is $200 cheaper than VMWare Workstation even though that's what my book recommends.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

If I'm learning malware analysis and need all the fancy snapshot rollback functionality will Windows 8 Hyper-V be enough? A Windows 8 license for my laptop is $200 cheaper than VMWare Workstation even though that's what my book recommends.

If you need snapshots most VirtualBox is free and supports snapshotting as far as I know.

http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/academicstore.html

The academic store has it for cheaper if you have a valid edu email, it really is worth the $$ for workstation, you can download a 30 days fee.
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=vmware-workstation9

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Corvettefisher posted:

If you need snapshots most VirtualBox is free and supports snapshotting as far as I know.

http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/academicstore.html

The academic store has it for cheaper if you have a valid edu email, it really is worth the $$ for workstation, you can download a 30 days fee.
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=vmware-workstation9

US-only it seems. I'll see what Hyper-V can do first and it's not like the Win8 license would go to waste.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

1000101 posted:

What specifically do they need from the external server? If they just need to copy files in then that should be fine. If they need to change things on the fileserver though that can complicate things.

Also yeah if you want them to join AD you'll probably want to toss a domain controller in there if your application actually needs it. One of my customer's actually don't need AD to do the software development so windows machines are just provisioned with local accounts and they're good with that.

I dunno if any resources specifically exist that are publicly available but I can certainly answer any questions you may have.

They do need to change files on the file server, so I was picturing a template with the structure of the subset of folders they need. All the service accounts are domain accounts, so the domain will be needed. I assume the DC in the vApp should not be allowed to contact the real DCs, right? But it needs to be peeled off of the real domain to start with? I don't actually want computers joining and unjoining the domain willy nilly all day.

How do the developers interface with the test environment? Since I assume it's walled off, opening a hole for RDP would be annoying (since you'd need to know IPs anyway, since DNS won't update). Or do you stick a Windows 7 client in there and they use the console interface?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
If I take a snapshot of a VM on VMWare ESXi, SSH into the server, and copy the VM's datastore folder off to a NAS, is that good enough to have a full backup of the VM? Or is there something I'd be missing that I need to actually shut down the VM first?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Frozen-Solid posted:

If I take a snapshot of a VM on VMWare ESXi, SSH into the server, and copy the VM's datastore folder off to a NAS, is that good enough to have a full backup of the VM? Or is there something I'd be missing that I need to actually shut down the VM first?

When you take the snapshot make sure to check the quiesce guest filesystem option. You'll be good after that.

talaena
Aug 30, 2003

Danger Mouse! Power House!
I am going to be living in this thread for a while. I haven't posted in here to date, but I've been browsing links and posts for a couple weeks preparing for an interview. A belated thank you is in order to everyone here. I just received an offer to work for VMware in their Enterprise Applications Support team. Obviously I'll receive training, but this thread has been and will continue to be a great learning resource for me as I switch from 12 years as a software developer back into Tech Support.

Information overload is about to commence, and I am ecstatic to learn all about vSphere. I am a virtualization novice, so my mind is about to be inundated with so much new knowledge.

edit: \/ hah. Glad I screwed that up here and not elsewhere. With all the VMware literature I've read, you'd think I'd have learned how to type the name properly.

talaena fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 20, 2012

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Congratulations! First tip: Work on capitalizing VMware properly.

I think Apps is a cool area to be working in right now.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I have read the past 35 or so pages trying to get up to speed, but I have one specific question. Does VMWare support clustering at the guest level.

e.g. If I want a 8 core guest, does that absolutely require a host with 8+ cores? More importantly can I cluster cheaper quad core single socket commodity boxes instead of springing for the pricier 2 or 4 socket boxes?

I have some apps that do well on a threaded basis but don't really split up into multiple VM's very well. Think like video encoding. I would like the ability to quickly spin up a VM with a lot of available resources and then shut it down when the batch is over (overnight window).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

KennyG posted:

I have read the past 35 or so pages trying to get up to speed, but I have one specific question. Does VMWare support clustering at the guest level.
Depends on the clustering required but for things like MSCS and such yes.

quote:

e.g. If I want a 8 core guest, does that absolutely require a host with 8+ cores?
You can't assign a single VM more cores/threads than you have, you can assign multiple VM's cores that exceeds the total number of cores in the box. Really unless you are maxing those 8 cores there really isn't any reason to give a VM that, hell most my VM's have is 4 vcores which is an MSSQL DB server.

quote:

More importantly can I cluster cheaper quad core single socket commodity boxes instead of springing for the pricier 2 or 4 socket boxes?
You can however VMware is licensed per socket so you'll need to take that into consideration.

quote:

I have some apps that do well on a threaded basis but don't really split up into multiple VM's very well. Think like video encoding. I would like the ability to quickly spin up a VM with a lot of available resources and then shut it down when the batch is over (overnight window).

I'm not exactly sure what you are thinking about but the VM's will not perform any better than what the underlying hardware can support.