Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Some of the nitpicking in this thread is hilarious... I mean there are some good objections in the thread but some of the others are just nitpicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Exmond posted:

Some of the nitpicking in this thread is hilarious... I mean there are some good objections in the thread but some of the others are just nitpicking.

I'd say MOST of it has been nitpicking. 48 pages of it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Its almost like you two have never read a pre release Games thread before.

Edit : I'm going to make a dedicated DmC thread for the demo release, any ideas for a catchy thread title?

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 15, 2012

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This is also a DMC general thread. 48 pages is nothing compared to the Dragon Age 3 thread. Dunno if that says anything about DMCs popularity though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Its almost like you two have never read a pre release Games thread before.

Edit : I'm going to make a dedicated DmC thread for the demo release, any ideas for a catchy thread title?

Or a thread where the current topic is about a reboot, at that.

Umm..."DmC: How low can you Limbo?", "DmC: Abandon not all hope", I'm terrible when it comes to thread titles. :smith:

Here's that post with all the character images, weapons, DLC and some links and poo poo - it's all up to date.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 15, 2012

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

How about: "DmC: This is not Sparda" ?

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010
"DmC: Filling your dark soul with fright"

VVV Or that one

Guydoingthis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 15, 2012

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

"Let's discuss Devil may Cry and whine about the upcoming reboot".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Devil may Cry: Crawling in my skin these wounds will always heal.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
DmC: Captain Swearword's Bogus Fuckin' Journey

Stygi
Oct 12, 2012
To steal another poster's joke, DmC: This party's getting mopey

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^

User0015 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2012

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
run DMC the new album by Ninja Theory

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
DmC: An Introspective Satire of Modern Times

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

something something something Eve the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Stygi posted:

To steal another poster's joke, DmC: This party's getting mopey

This one is the best on on every level.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Raptor News was way better when I thought it was about the dinosaur.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is a thread exclusively for the demo release really needed? This one would do well since it hasn't been used for anything other than talking about pre-release information.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Well I mean I would like to have a cleaner thread for discussing just the game itself, maybe 8 weeks is a bit premature.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
"DmC: It's not nearly as bad as ridiculous DMC fans say it is."

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DmC: "gently caress you! gently caress you. FUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOUUUU!!!"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Oh I don't know, the combat is looking better but:

Speaks for itself.

[e]:
And from the PS Battle Stars thread, Dante's third costume has been revealed: Shirtless Dante.

[e2]: And some more backstory CA:

:v::v: "Mom can we go swimming in the sea?"
:j: "Not till I've been brutally murdered by Mundus, boys."

That's also Mundus' face used in the achievement list image.

And Kid Dante and Kid Vergil

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 16, 2012

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh I don't know, the combat is looking better but:

Speaks for itself.

If this game doesn't have at least one Linkin Park-esque track then I'll be disappointed.

I still can't get over the auto/no lock-on poo poo. How the gently caress do you have a good action hack'n'slash without it? The combat controls are still garbage too, couldn't they have figured out a better control scheme that didn't completely suck?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I had no idea the lack of manual lock-on was such a big deal. Devil May Cry 1 didn't have any and I'm 8 levels into Bayonetta and I've rarely used it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

I had no idea the lack of manual lock-on was such a big deal. Devil May Cry 1 didn't have any and I'm 8 levels into Bayonetta and I've rarely used it.

DMC1 had manual lock-on. I'm not really sure what you mean by that because it was both in the game and pretty important.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Do you mean putting a crosshair over an enemy like in 3 and 4? Because if so I've been playing it recently and I had no idea you could do it. I'm assuming that's what everyone means with this game not having it.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
Since I haven't seen it posted yet, I figure I ought to let you dudes know about the recent OXM video preview, done by the same dude that helped sell a lot of folks on Dragon's Dogma. There's a few things he says that should be taken with a grain of salt, but the combat looks pretty solid and there's some interesting ideas at play with the Proud Soul-esque upgrade system that lets you shuffle around "upgrade tokens" so you can mess around with new weapon abilities without necessarily having to buy all of them. I'm not sure how I feel about the amount of enemies that have a shield, though. It seems like an arbitrary thing just to make sure you use the hell out of that grapple mechanic.

The story is still likely going to be a massive poo poo-pile, but between what we've seen with the Vergil trailer and some of the stuff that's coming to light in regards to combat being better than it has been I'm probably going to end up taking the plunge and buying the game. Not like there's anything else coming out in January (I've already imported Anarchy Reigns).

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
New thread title ideas? "DmC: True art is a finger gun and stripper angels"

or "DmC: The Biggest DeviantArt"

or "DmC: Settling for bronze instead of Platinum"

Jetpack Postman posted:

Since I haven't seen it posted yet, I figure I ought to let you dudes know about the recent OXM video preview, done by the same dude that helped sell a lot of folks on Dragon's Dogma.

The combat looks ok. Gameplay looks more like a dmc clone, but I'll wait until I can either play the demo or the game before that judgment. I'd like to hear the guy's thoughts comparing DmC and the Rising demo to see if Ninja Theory is bringing interesting "western" ideas to the combat table or not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DmC: Vergil wears a loving fedora

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've played the Rising demo and it's not too similar to DMC's gameplay other than "guy with a sword kills things."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

DmC: We tried to warn them but they wouldn't listen

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GUI posted:

Do you mean putting a crosshair over an enemy like in 3 and 4? Because if so I've been playing it recently and I had no idea you could do it. I'm assuming that's what everyone means with this game not having it.

Lock on is straight up required to do some moves.

They're moving away from dealing with one enemy at a time/Tight cone of enemies to more crowd control-ey moves.

Maybe that's why it looks so different.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
DmC: You can pull the Trigger, but you can't lock on.
DmC: The Devil May Cry, but he can't lock on.
DmC: A Tale of Fedoras and Hair Dye.

More serious one:
DmC: Has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

Bonus swearing one:
DmC: A fuckin' piece-a-poo poo.

Can't wait to get my hands on the demo. Really hoping the auto-lock works better than it looks like it does.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
DmC Devil may Cry: SSSmokin' Sick Stupidity!!!

dontmorelikewont
Oct 10, 2007

GUI posted:

But it did... Hard lock on referring to when you held R1 you would lock onto one enemy and that's how you stingered people, did high time, etc... You also strafe around the enemy and are able to dodge in DMC1 only when you are locked on. But Bayonetta did develop a way to not be so dependent on a hard lock-on. Like making stinger moves with lock-on forward + attack, and without lock-on forward forward + attack (plus dodge button), etc. This is how MGR is setup as well, and it has lock-on too but it's a soft-hard lock-on like system.

But anyway.. I think NT isn't doing a great job on the story imo. It's basically DMC3 all over again but with Mundus being the main villain and Vergil's motives being less apparent. In addition we have a love interest (which worked so well in DMC4... ugh).

All I hear from supporters of the game is how great the environments are, but they have little effect on the core gameplay elements. It just seems the morphing environment creates dumb platforming sections. It'd be cooler if Dante gained the ability to control parts of limbo, or could grab hunks of the environment to throw at enemies. Hell in the original DmC trailer you saw Dante grab a car with his sword and throw it at enemies (even though it was prerendered footage).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The mocap/VAs behind Vergil and Kat speak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ciTYQU98Lw

The actor behind Vergil is yet another Power Rangers cast/crew member to be featured in the DMC series, which is kinda funny.

[e]: Christ knows, but it's pretty seizure-inducing.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 16, 2012

Stygi
Oct 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

The mocap/VAs behind Vergil and Kat speak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ciTYQU98Lw

The actor behind Vergil is yet another Power Rangers cast/crew member to be featured in the DMC series, which is kinda funny.
What the hell is up with the editing of these videos? They're practically unwatchable, though funny in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. "My name's David de Lautour. I am playing VergilBBBRERRRYOOOOOOOUNNNNG *screen static* *channel switch* *cut*"

Stygi fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 16, 2012

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Stygi posted:

What the hell is up with the editing of these videos? They're practically unwatchable, though funny in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. "My name's David de Lautour. I am playing VergilBBBRERRRYOOOOOOOUNNNNG *screen static* *channel switch* *cut*"

They're trying to make visual dubstep.

I think of it as trying to make one of those Youtube Poops. You know, it's what all the kids are about these days.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Stygi posted:

I'll have you know that the video is just another example of Ninja Theory's great artistic vision :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Jetpack Postman posted:

Since I haven't seen it posted yet, I figure I ought to let you dudes know about the recent OXM video preview, done by the same dude that helped sell a lot of folks on Dragon's Dogma. There's a few things he says that should be taken with a grain of salt, but the combat looks pretty solid and there's some interesting ideas at play with the Proud Soul-esque upgrade system that lets you shuffle around "upgrade tokens" so you can mess around with new weapon abilities without necessarily having to buy all of them. I'm not sure how I feel about the amount of enemies that have a shield, though. It seems like an arbitrary thing just to make sure you use the hell out of that grapple mechanic.

The story is still likely going to be a massive poo poo-pile, but between what we've seen with the Vergil trailer and some of the stuff that's coming to light in regards to combat being better than it has been I'm probably going to end up taking the plunge and buying the game. Not like there's anything else coming out in January (I've already imported Anarchy Reigns).
Everything that goes along with the Osiris combo-wise is awesome. I love that spinning move Shredder that juggles enemies in the air. Looks awesome.

• Locked thread