Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

2house2fly posted:

Laser weapons are pretty much all useless peashooters,

Laser rifle with the optical sight and other addons is actually pretty brutal; mine carried me through old world blues until I got a LAER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Laser weapons are pretty much all useless peashooters, so I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice for a laser character. I'm thinking I'll need high Luck for lots of critical hits.
Yes, have luck as high as possible. Must-have perks include Finesse, Beter Criticals and Laser commander. Also Camarader-E for the +5 damage boost and Vigilant Recycler to help with ammo.

Laser weapons start off really weak. But with a high energy weapon skill, high luck and those perks your basic upgraded laser rifle will crit regularly and destroy pretty much everything with ease.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 14, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Raygereio posted:

Laser commander.

This adds a flat 10% critical rate to each hit with a laser weapon. Gatling Lasers hit 30 times a second. Laser Commander turns them into a meat grinder for all but the heaviest-armored enemies, and that's assuming the numerous criticals don't plow through them anyway.

Be sure to get Science high so you can make Max Charge ECPs.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The tricked out Laser Rifle is one of my absolute favorite weapons in the game, I have no idea how anyone could call it weak. Especially considering that the standard Laser Rifle is like... what, a mid-tier weapon? Easy to find.

It's fricking murderous as a sniper weapon (with scope preferably) and still works well at even closer ranges because how fast you can shoot with it with like no recoil, plus big ammo clips.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah with a crit build the Laser Rifle punches far, far above its weight and I never went without it. You can make piles of ash out of whole groups before you'd get a third shot off from a hunting rifle or a second from the YCS if you're a good enough shot, it shoots as fast as you squeeze the trigger. The Gatling Laser makes short work of ANYTHING, especially with Max Charge or with GRA Optimized ammo. And the RCW is my favorite gun in the game, as I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Awesome DPS, crazy accurate especially for an assault weapon, cheap ammo, common repair items. Easily your bread and butter for lasers. Laser Commander is ridiculous.

Plus with Honest Hearts the Compliance Regulator makes a great sidearm with its 10 second paralysis on critical hit, it lets you stun someone you'd rather not kill, or knock out a tough target so you shoot them risk-free. If you wanted to play a pacifist build its a much better choice than the bean-bag shotgun, especially with low energy weapons skill. Highly overlooked weapon.

Lasers are awesome.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Check out this solar power station google is building near Primm.. If I remember correctly you can even find the racetrack in the last pic in NV, in a giant ant infested desert dust bowl.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I for one welcome our new google overlords, and their death ray.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
My friend's started posting set photos from Fallout: Lanius. Should I post them here?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Count Chocula posted:

My friend's started posting set photos from Fallout: Lanius. Should I post them here?

That's actually some pretty decent costuming. Nice.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 166 days!
Do I have to get the DLC's in an specific order?, Any noticeable differences between buying all DLC's separately and just getting the Ultimate edition?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

a real peso poo poo posted:

Do I have to get the DLC's in an specific order?, Any noticeable differences between buying all DLC's separately and just getting the Ultimate edition?

All story DLCs are self-contained offmap areas you are beckoned to by clues and radio transmissions. They all have a overarching plot thing, so playing it in publishing order (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road) is the best bet, but otherwise there's no difference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

a real peso poo poo posted:

No, you don't have to install them in a certain order like some other games. There isn't really any difference between buying everything piecemeal and buying the "Ultimate Edition", besides maybe the price and the fact that the "Ultimate Edition" also comes with the smaller DLC (Courier's Stash, GRA) which you may overlook if you're just going for the big, main DLC.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's worth noting the GRA and Couriers Stash are required as well if you want to play the Jsawyer Mod.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And the GRA stuff is pretty awesome. Courier's Stash breaks the early-game difficulty curve, so ditch all that stuff if you want a harder early game.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Or just install Jsawyer after you get it - rope kid hides the early-game awesome gear in different places to make it relatively more balanced.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I actually prefer to play Honest Hearts first, as it has the least connection to the others. Really, Joshua mentions Ulysses briefly (not even by name, that I can remember) and that's it. Then in Dead Money you hear a bit more about Ulysses and Big MT, and Lonesome Road gets a bit of foreshadowing (also, Lonesome Road/Dead Money ending spoilers how did "the battle at the Divide" become so legendary that some random super mutant in the middle of nowhere heard about it? It's just you and Ulysses alone in a room, pretty much. Eh whatever, it's cool enough to get a pass.).
Then in Old World Blues there are callbacks to Dead Money and forwards to Lonesome Road, and then LR bookends things nicely with the ability to use Ulysses's time with the White Legs to convince him to abort the nukes.

I do kind of wish the DLCs didn't assume you played them in release order, though given the sales figures of DLCs it makes sense, as the vast majority of people who played all four DLCs will have played them when they were released, and gone through them exactly once.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

2house2fly posted:

I actually prefer to play Honest Hearts first, as it has the least connection to the others. Really, Joshua mentions Ulysses briefly (not even by name, that I can remember) and that's it. Then in Dead Money you hear a bit more about Ulysses and Big MT, and Lonesome Road gets a bit of foreshadowing (also, Lonesome Road/Dead Money ending spoilers how did "the battle at the Divide" become so legendary that some random super mutant in the middle of nowhere heard about it? It's just you and Ulysses alone in a room, pretty much. Eh whatever, it's cool enough to get a pass.).
Then in Old World Blues there are callbacks to Dead Money and forwards to Lonesome Road, and then LR bookends things nicely with the ability to use Ulysses's time with the White Legs to convince him to abort the nukes.

I do kind of wish the DLCs didn't assume you played them in release order, though given the sales figures of DLCs it makes sense, as the vast majority of people who played all four DLCs will have played them when they were released, and gone through them exactly once.

I suppose it all depends on whether you read references from one DLC to the other as "callbacks" or "foreshadowing". I see a lot of the material in OWB (the suits the "Ghosts" wear, Christine and Elijah's significant exposition, etc.) as building up to their inevitable encounter in DM. Like I've said before, in that sense, I'd say it's much more cohesive to go from OWB to DM.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I did OWB first when I got the Ultimate Edition and you're right, it really does foreshadow DM really well. I pretty much only do it after DM now because I like it better. Also because I'm a horrible continuity nerd, and the "just one more DLC to go!" line in OWB's ending bugs me.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 166 days!
Also is there a way to wear the NCR black armor without pissing off the rangers?

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

gender illusionist posted:

Laser rifle with the optical sight and other addons is actually pretty brutal; mine carried me through old world blues until I got a LAER.
In my main play through I got the impression that Elijiah's Modified LAER is probably one the bet weapons in the game? I do not want to provoke a debate so I won't say it's the best in general or best energy weapon, but I remember having it as my fallback weapon when the poo poo hit the fan.

Re: New Vegas DLC:

The best part is that I can safely say all of the DLC is fun to play and worth buying as either downloads or in the ultimate edition. It's quite the contrast to the genres set in each DLC for Fallout 3. I never played Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta for that reason, the former being action-oriented and the latter a smaller, weird ramble on a space ship.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Magic posted:

In my main play through I got the impression that Elijiah's Modified LAER is probably one the bet weapons in the game? I do not want to provoke a debate so I won't say it's the best in general or best energy weapon, but I remember having it as my fallback weapon when the poo poo hit the fan.

Elijah's LAER and YCS are both phenomenal energy weapons. The fully kitted out laser rifle cannot get enough love as it really is a solid weapon that can be used till Mr Perlman sends you into the sunset. As far as pistols the plasma defender with mods is quite nice.

2house2fly posted:

I did OWB first when I got the Ultimate Edition and you're right, it really does foreshadow DM really well. I pretty much only do it after DM now because I like it better. Also because I'm a horrible continuity nerd, and the "just one more DLC to go!" line in OWB's ending bugs me.

I have to do LR right before the final leg in the main quest. It is hard as hell for one and it just felt...right. One last time to question which path I will take.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
I wish they'd make a Fallout MMO and just make it the whole of the metro area, letting player factions carve out areas and whatnot. That would be so awesome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I wish they would do a Fallout prequel where you played a prisoner making his/her escape in the chaos after the first bombs fell. If you're inclined, your prison in-processing could determine your skills (were you a thief? a murderer? a spy? innocent?), you could wander a freshly ravaged wasteland populated by panicked survivors, fight off pockets of Chinese invaders, and discover the first generation of horrors created by the Great War.

Fallout 4: It Makes Sense Why Everything is Destroyed Right Now

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wish they would do a Fallout prequel where you played a prisoner making his/her escape in the chaos after the first bombs fell. If you're inclined, your prison in-processing could determine your skills (were you a thief? a murderer? a spy? innocent?), you could wander a freshly ravaged wasteland populated by panicked survivors, fight off pockets of Chinese invaders, and discover the first generation of horrors created by the Great War.

Fallout 4: It Makes Sense Why Everything is Destroyed Right Now

China is spending massive amounts of money to influence overseas culture, which is why the latest Red Dawn movie is about North Korea and China. I don't think they'd like that. Plus, it removes what's fun about the setting.

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A prequel Fallout game could basically be The Postman.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Daionus the 23rd posted:

And we all know how well that turned out.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The Rage posted:

I think I'm the only person who really liked that movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I guess I just have a hard time seeing Fallout right after the bombs as a fun and Fallouty experience. Mutated animals would take a few years to show up, surely? You wouldn't just have, say, Seattle flooded with radscorpions and yao guai right away, and it'd take a while for all the scared and desperate people to coalesce into the tribes and factions that make New Vegas so compelling. Although maybe you could see the beginnings of several tribes as the game goes on, and deciding which one you ally with and help to become the dominant power could be the endgame. You'd have your might-makes-right Legion type, your hippie Followers Of The Apocalypse type, your let's-rebuild-America NCR/Enclave type, etc. Apart from that though, a Right After The Bombs game sounds kind of like Fallout 3 without all the settlements and mutated animals. Which may just betray my lack of creativity.

Also I just got reminded of another thing I loved in New Vegas: in my first playthrough I quickly got attached to the Followers and wished there was an option to join them and hand them the keys to Independent Vegas at the end. It wasn't until my second playthrough that I discovered that, although I can't hand them Vegas I CAN join them! They gave me a special Followers white coat with their logo on it and everything! That coat has no defense rating and I've maxed out the skills it boosts already, but I wear it everywhere because it's a symbol of my Followers membership and the Followers are my peeps.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

2house2fly posted:

Also I just got reminded of another thing I loved in New Vegas: in my first playthrough I quickly got attached to the Followers and wished there was an option to join them and hand them the keys to Independent Vegas at the end. It wasn't until my second playthrough that I discovered that, although I can't hand them Vegas I CAN join them! They gave me a special Followers white coat with their logo on it and everything! That coat has no defense rating and I've maxed out the skills it boosts already, but I wear it everywhere because it's a symbol of my Followers membership and the Followers are my peeps.

Try the Signature Armor mod if you want it to give you defense buffs. I actually had a similar situation with the Followers, it's like "well okay these guys seem cool" on the first run then you find a few more sidequests and you can be their best buddies. :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

China is spending massive amounts of money to influence overseas culture, which is why the latest Red Dawn movie is about North Korea and China. I don't think they'd like that. Plus, it removes what's fun about the setting.

What the hell are you talking about? The Chinese already have a strong presence in the Fallout games, and why would anybody give a poo poo if they disliked it? Nothing about your post makes sense.

The Rage posted:

I thought it was pretty good, myself.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

China has been aggressive in making sure that films don't have Chinese villains. It's not a conspiracy theory. A game where you spend most of your time killing invading Chinese soldiers wouldn't exactly pass muster.

Daionus the 23rd posted:

I haven't played Lonesome Road, but I assumed that's who Ulysses is based on. I read the book, but never saw the movie.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

2house2fly posted:

I guess I just have a hard time seeing Fallout right after the bombs as a fun and Fallouty experience. Mutated animals would take a few years to show up, surely?

The mutations are mostly caused by a virus and not radiation, and I'm pretty sure it was released at roughly the same time the bombs dropped so you could definitely have mutated animals shortly after the war. We also know ghouls were already around right after the bombs dropped from Raul.

It would be interesting to play in a more radiated timeframe - I always felt like radiation was a relatively minor inconvenience in the later Fallout games, it might be fun to play in a world where picking a path through areas of low radiation would be a real challenge, having to work your way around a crater because there's no way you could cross it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The mutations are mostly caused by a virus and not radiation, and I'm pretty sure it was released at roughly the same time the bombs dropped so you could definitely have mutated animals shortly after the war. We also know ghouls were already around right after the bombs dropped from Raul.

It would be interesting to play in a more radiated timeframe - I always felt like radiation was a relatively minor inconvenience in the later Fallout games, it might be fun to play in a world where picking a path through areas of low radiation would be a real challenge, having to work your way around a crater because there's no way you could cross it.

I always felt like radiation was too minor an inconvenience in F3/NV because there were so many ways to prevent/cure it. Even heavily radiated areas weren't a huge inconvenience as long as you took a few minutes to prepare.

I'd like for radiation to be a more serious threat in future games. I'd make it so that radiated areas are relatively low intensity (compared to some sections like, say, Vault 34 in NV) but there would be no way to reduce your current rad count and you would actually die from reaching the fatal dosage. Maybe there could be one specific way to reduce it related to the plot (so you basically get one do-over) but I'd get rid of all the Rad-X /RadAway and really make you have to consider how badly you want to explore an area setting off your counter.

It'd be even cooler if 90% of the radiated areas had no loot of value either. Why did you think there'd be anything important in that blasted crater that used to be a suburban neighborhood (other than video game logic).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

homeless poster posted:

It'd be even cooler if 90% of the radiated areas had no loot of value either. Why did you think there'd be anything important in that blasted crater that used to be a suburban neighborhood (other than video game logic).

Because in 50s sci-fi/monster movie logic radiation = power.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Did China even invade the continental US in Fallout? I thought all the fighting was going on in Alaska/China, and the only Chinese in the US were spies/commandos.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
China invaded Alaska because it has oil and they need all the oil they can get as all the oil in the middle east dried up or is nearly empty in the Fallout universe.

Mushball fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 16, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sam. posted:

Did China even invade the continental US in Fallout? I thought all the fighting was going on in Alaska/China, and the only Chinese in the US were spies/commandos.

The main body? Besides Alaska, I don't think so. Like you said, there was definitely infiltration by spies and commando all over the loving place, though, since they had a presence in both DC and at the Hoover Dam.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I don't have any particular attachment to post-apocalyptic settings. Still I love Fallout. The series continuing forward into a post-post apocalypse is something can be really interesting, and I don't know of any other stories that have this conceit. I wonder what will actually happen, though, as Bethesda doesn't do prequels and Obsidian developers have lamented the fact Fallot isn't really PA anymore.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I'd be interested in a prequel that takes place in the PNW around the time the US annexed Canada.

Basically make Fallout 4 in the pacific northwest, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

I'd be interested in a prequel that takes place in the PNW around the time the US annexed Canada.

Basically make Fallout 4 in the pacific northwest, thanks.

Isn't that what Skyrim was based on? Trees are pretty boring but with most of them dead what would be the difference from the current Fallout? I'd like to see a ruined New York and New Jersey (too soon, I know, but I mean in the Fallout universe).