Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

As a rule should I be prioritizing power nodes or extractors when I'm running around solo or in a pair trying to deny resources to the marines?
Extractor, then power node. Exception is if some other Skulk is attacking the power node already in which case join them.

If there is anything else built there that requires power (phase gate etc), power node.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've taken out an exo as a skulk like 2-3 times. Exos are really garbage, except maybe if your marine push only uses a single one.
That's what Exos are for. One Exo in a group of marines is a nightmare. A big group of Exos is Gorge food. Same as flamethrowers and grenades; Three marines with grenade launchers vs equivalently leveled and skilled aliens are lerkfood, a group of marines with a grenade launcher, a flame thrower, and a shotgun between them will take out half the map before you can take them down. Four Exos are a waste of 300 res, the above group + a single Exo is death incarnate.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

RadicalWall posted:

I think if you named it NS2Goons #2 you'd probably get all the roll over and be full all the time.

This is a good thing.

It's usually full anyways, I was just reminding people we have admins there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
You guys are still mad about the gamestop/metacritic thing? Really?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You guys are still mad about the gamestop/metacritic thing? Really?

I've never seen it before and that blog post was annoying, sorry.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wouldn't say anyone is mad seeing as how, despite a single lovely review, the game seems to be selling quite well. People are just pointing out how stupid/bad this guy + metacritic are.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Not to forget Knifeback has a server up, I'd recommend joining mumble if people are actually on (the mumble server).

The server is on the default port at knifeback.co.uk.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

Extractor, then power node. Exception is if some other Skulk is attacking the power node already in which case join them.

If there is anything else built there that requires power (phase gate etc), power node.
That's what Exos are for. One Exo in a group of marines is a nightmare. A big group of Exos is Gorge food. Same as flamethrowers and grenades; Three marines with grenade launchers vs equivalently leveled and skilled aliens are lerkfood, a group of marines with a grenade launcher, a flame thrower, and a shotgun between them will take out half the map before you can take them down. Four Exos are a waste of 300 res, the above group + a single Exo is death incarnate.

Maybe instead of making Exo's something players can buy they should be a thing commanders build that players can jump into.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I really wish this game were balanced with ff on. I used to play ns1 that way. It'd be way to hard to play marines with it on right now. Maybe someone will make a mod :(

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Maybe instead of making Exo's something players can buy they should be a thing commanders build that players can jump into.

They are, but Commanders can only drop single gun Exos. I think it would be hard to deprive the players of spending their well saved res on stuff like that. On a good server, people are pretty good at listening and forming good Exo squads. This isn't to say I haven't had 5 Exos running around with 2 Marines, when suddenly the Aliens attack my Comm chair and I'm pulling those two bastards back to base to fight off everything. This is when they don't listen to me and I pretty much just give them the best of luck and hope they do something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StuntKid posted:

They are, but Commanders can only drop single gun Exos. I think it would be hard to deprive the players of spending their well saved res on stuff like that. On a good server, people are pretty good at listening and forming good Exo squads. This isn't to say I haven't had 5 Exos running around with 2 Marines, when suddenly the Aliens attack my Comm chair and I'm pulling those two bastards back to base to fight off everything. This is when they don't listen to me and I pretty much just give them the best of luck and hope they do something.
Just finished a game where there were four exos rampaging through our base and the commander kept telling the people safely taking apart the Marine's primary base to come back and defend.
and they did :negative:

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I really wish this game were balanced with ff on. I used to play ns1 that way. It'd be way to hard to play marines with it on right now. Maybe someone will make a mod :(

Yeah it seems like it would be hard to do considering there's almost no chance for aliens to hit each other, where as marine weapons have significant splash.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah it seems like it would be hard to do considering there's almost no chance for aliens to hit each other, where as marine weapons have significant splash.

In NS1 alien FF did happen since the damage was an arc, but yeah it was still worse for marines when people would spam lmgs and grenade launchers. At the same time it was infinitely amusing to bounce around as a skulk while marines shot each other in the face.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

voltron lion force posted:

I wouldn't say anyone is mad seeing as how, despite a single lovely review, the game seems to be selling quite well. People are just pointing out how stupid/bad this guy + metacritic are.

I think it's true a lot of people could care less about the actual score because it's not like nobody has heard of NS before. It's more that this guy is apparently an insufferable douche bag who is now trying to act like it's not his fault he did a lovely job. Which is really what this comes down to.

The fact is he is paid to be a professional reviews writer and what he's saying now is "Oh well sorry I guess but it's not my fault you just wouldn't understand what it's like being a reviewer." It's the typical egotistical attitude a lot of video game journalists seem to have now a days which is hilarious considering the awful work that he did.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
There's an official show match starting in 5 minutes at http://twitch.tv/naturalselection2

My team is playing against All-In

It's like a marketing match sponsored by UWE and casted by the pro casters, or something. Come check it out.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Watching. Best of luck!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I never played NS1 but I played Tremulous a lot. I sort of miss there being some skill to knowing where to place the base in a certain map (and the lack of larger maps in general, really). I also miss there not being more room to take advantage of jet packs.

edit: also, is there a good, but short, guide on how to command well?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 17, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009
5 lerks! A firehose of spikes. How fun was that to play?

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Garfu posted:

There's an official show match starting in 5 minutes at http://twitch.tv/naturalselection2

My team is playing against All-In

It's like a marketing match sponsored by UWE and casted by the pro casters, or something. Come check it out.

Actually watching this, thought I never watch any games online. Pretty neat.
I'm curious what does it being an officially sponsored match get you as a player?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Aww gently caress. Won NS2 through Steamshots and my first game it locks up literally seconds after I bought a dual mini exo and steamrolled over the aliens only onos. God that thing is satisfying though. Do exos run out of ammo? Or is it just overheating I have to worry about?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Nope, there's no ammo. Make sure you stick with your infantry though, without somebody to weld you a skulk can run laps around you and bite you til you explode.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

Aww gently caress. Won NS2 through Steamshots and my first game it locks up literally seconds after I bought a dual mini exo and steamrolled over the aliens only onos. God that thing is satisfying though. Do exos run out of ammo? Or is it just overheating I have to worry about?

Also I would assume that its faster to cool if you stop just before they overheat, but I haven't done any testing to that effect.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

hayden. posted:

I never played NS1 but I played Tremulous a lot. I sort of miss there being some skill to knowing where to place the base in a certain map (and the lack of larger maps in general, really). I also miss there not being more room to take advantage of jet packs.

edit: also, is there a good, but short, guide on how to command well?

Best way to learn how to command is to play as a normal dude and take note of lovely vs qualified commanders. Being a good commander has very little to do with your build order and everything to do with how you coach your team and disseminate information and give focused objectives to people.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

RadicalWall posted:

Also I would assume that its faster to cool if you stop just before they overheat, but I haven't done any testing to that effect.

I don't know if its faster, but if the miniguns, over heat they won't be able to fire again until they've cooled all the way down.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Just played com as the marines on the goon server and had a fine time. Managed a solid win as the marines.

I was probably overreacting earlier when I said marine wins had become drat near impossible, but the balance is still a bit off. Still, I have faith in the devs and can't wait to see what's in store for us in the months to come.

Wasabi mentioned some map changes in the next month or so in the exhibition match earlier. Real curious about that.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

It isn't, it is just the bonus of being allowed to fire instead of waiting for the HEAT bar to completely deplete if poo poo goes down.

Which is still beneficial when you don't want to get your rear end drank like a diet coke.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had a very neat game earlier where the marines walked over us with a super aggressive strategy. They essentially contained us to a very small chunk of the map, first with straight-up pressure, then with very fast sentry guns.

I'm not sure if they walked over us because it was a good strategy, because we were terrible skulks, or because our commander was loving up (super fast second hive that got obliterated almost as soon as it went down; no upgrades well after we could afford it).

Either way, it was an interesting rear end-kicking.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The Crotch posted:

Had a very neat game earlier where the marines walked over us with a super aggressive strategy. They essentially contained us to a very small chunk of the map, first with straight-up pressure, then with very fast sentry guns.

Any time I see aliens get trapped in an area early on, it usually means that the team is really bad. Turrets are a pretty big waste of res, especially in the beginning.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So i recall something about Onos being able to break doors? Is this a thing, and if so what doors?

Some maps I see what looks like paths on the map that are actually blocked, is this just an artifact of how the overhead map is generated, or something else?

On a gameplay perspective, when playing lerk I seem to die as soon as I start taking bullets, unless I am already moving. Like I start getting hit, I start moving and sometimes even get around a corner, and still die. Is this something with the netcode, and how do you guys go about not instantly melting?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ZypherIM posted:

So i recall something about Onos being able to break doors? Is this a thing, and if so what doors?

Some maps I see what looks like paths on the map that are actually blocked, is this just an artifact of how the overhead map is generated, or something else?

On a gameplay perspective, when playing lerk I seem to die as soon as I start taking bullets, unless I am already moving. Like I start getting hit, I start moving and sometimes even get around a corner, and still die. Is this something with the netcode, and how do you guys go about not instantly melting?
1. Not that i know of.

2. Sadly, yes. :( It's confusing and i still find myself running into a dead ends while 'going by map' occasionally.

3. I've gotten a few "turned a corner but still got killed half a second later" deaths on servers with 50-200 ms ping, so it might just be the netcode. As a lerk i just never ever stop, especially when there are skilled players with shotguns who know i'm around.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

It's not implemented yet, but on some levels you'll notice doors that open when you get near them. In the future, marines will be able to weld them shut. Also yeah some of the map overlays are worse than others. I especially don't like that some of them don't color in vents as yellow.

Fly fast, fly high, learn to glide if you haven't.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

It's not implemented yet, but on some levels you'll notice doors that open when you get near them. In the future, marines will be able to weld them shut. Also yeah some of the map overlays are worse than others. I especially don't like that some of them don't color in vents as yellow.

I assume the maps missing vent designs and stuff like that are ones from earlier on in development. I haven't really checked but I know Foundry, which I know is the newest, doesn't seem to have any of those same issues.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

ZypherIM posted:

This is something you have to deal with in pretty much every FPS since due to the nature of netcode you are either going to get shot after retreating around corners (client side hit validation), or you are going to think you are shooting something but are not actually hitting anything (server side). Red Orchestra 2 had server side validation, and it sucks really really badly and I believe they changed it eventually.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

It's getting to the point where I just can't play on pubs. I swear half the time we don't even have a commander.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

RadicalWall posted:

It's getting to the point where I just can't play on pubs. I swear half the time we don't even have a commander.

When I am on a pub for some reason, I don't want to command because they are all so dumb and won't do what I say anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does holding shift as an onos do any damage to anything you come into contact with, or is it just gottagofast? Someone mentioned it on a pub server this morning, I don't really buy it buuuut v:shobon:v

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Ciaphas posted:

Does holding shift as an onos do any damage to anything you come into contact with, or is it just gottagofast? Someone mentioned it on a pub server this morning, I don't really buy it buuuut v:shobon:v

If you attack and hit out of the charge you do double damage.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I went to an old-fashioned dance yesterday and there were far more women than men there, all waiting to have fun by being lead around.

I then played NS on pub servers and there were far more players than commanders, all waiting to have fun by being lead around.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm well aware of lag and netcode issues in online FPS games, I've been playing them since original quake. The way NS2 feels is rather unique, in a way that I haven't run into really. Maybe the bullets have a slight travel time, so if you're far enough way a killing amount are already in flight once you start getting hit? Perhaps it is something with the hitbox, and lerk opening its wings or something so you still get hit. I'm not really sure, but it is definitely feels off.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I think you are lagging. This game is as lightning accurate and quick as Quake. Especially that pistol, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hrmm, possibly so if you say it is as responsive as quake. I'll have to dig into settings and stuff further, perhaps it is an fps issue. If anyone has any handy tips/links for that I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll probably also look into network stuff, though that should be somewhat decent.

I saw some 32 player servers in the list, and can't figure out how anyone could stand playing on one of those. Whats the number of players you all enjoy most? Personally I like 18, gives each side 8 guys to truck around the map, so you can afford a couple people being new without it wrecking your game, but not so many that you can't have smaller skirmishes. Maybe with more competent players 14 would be best, gives each side 6 to move around.

• Locked thread