Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got my DVDs today. Yippee!

Question for those who came before me: when it comes to ripping them to video files so I can watch over the network, am I correct in that subtitle track 1 is the 'English audio but we still have to subtitle onscreen text' track, and subtitle track 2 is the Japanese audio track for every title on every disc? Seems to work for the first episode on the first disk, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
How do you play the downloaded videos on here? I tried Winzip and Windows Media Player and a bunch of other programs and none of them played anything. Is there a weird video player I need off the internet?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

How do you play the downloaded videos on here? I tried Winzip and Windows Media Player and a bunch of other programs and none of them played anything. Is there a weird video player I need off the internet?

Any media player should do it. Everything is encoded in XVid format which pretty much anything capable of playing video manufactured in the last ten years can use. You can pop these episodes onto a thumb drive and watch them off your XBox 360 if you really wanted to.

Of course if you're trying to play the .torrent files that isn't going to work. You'll need some kind of bittorrent client to download the episodes first.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
...And how do you access the non-torrent files? All of the episode links on the first page start a torrent download.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Pretty much every single filesharing direct download site was wrecked this year. If you can't torrent, I think every single episode is up on youtube.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Magikoopa189 posted:

...And how do you access the non-torrent files? All of the episode links on the first page start a torrent download.

You need a torrent client to download it. I would recommend this one: http://deluge-torrent.org/

Or as the guy above me mentioned you can probably find any of the episodes on youtube.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magikoopa189 posted:

http://www.gamingcx.com/

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Play the videos in VLC. I don't know why you'd use anything different.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

The Muffinlord posted:

Here is where I make an argument for Media Player Classic and then shoot myself.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I just got my DVDs today. Yippee!

Question for those who came before me: when it comes to ripping them to video files so I can watch over the network, am I correct in that subtitle track 1 is the 'English audio but we still have to subtitle onscreen text' track, and subtitle track 2 is the Japanese audio track for every title on every disc? Seems to work for the first episode on the first disk, anyway.

Correct!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

VLC is terrible. I used to use it and there were horrible interlacing problems with the video on DVDs even when I tried deinterlacing. MPC is way better.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 17, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Zeether posted:

VLC is terrible. I used to use it and there were horrible interlacing problems with the video on DVDs even when I tried deinterlacing. MPC is way better.

This, and VLC is a resource hog, is slower than MPC, and has messy interface.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yes, the horrors of VLC's incomprehensible interface (that happens to look exactly like Classic's) and its resource usage.

Gimme a break. No one cares about your tedious media player preference. Yes I took the time to make that image because of how dumb that post was.

vvv Maybe I'm a UI philistine

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 17, 2012

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
To be fair I thought that VLC's UI was awful too and that's why I haven't used it for many years. I assume they improved it at some point.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Magikoopa189 posted:

You do it by getting with the times, downloading Bittorrent and torrenting those episodes. :c00lbert:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The only reason I use VLC anymore is because I can't get MPC to disable acceleration without killing it on the video card. Yeah, I know this makes me bad at video. Actually no, I've just googled for information on this again and I still can't find anything. Not my goddamn fault, code a better options menu, MPC.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 18, 2012

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

As a side note, this image alone fascinated me.

The Goonies vs V in: The Miracle Mask! I assume the actual show isn't as fantastic as all that, though...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yes, the horrors of VLC's incomprehensible interface (that happens to look exactly like Classic's) and its resource usage.

Actually, I think that UI is crap, and not at all what my UI in MPC looks like. It's too chunky looking. But that's just down to aesthetic an personal opinion.

However, it does use more memory. Playing a low quality video without any comparison doesn't prove anything. How about a high quality video (1080 10GB) with an actual comparison?

That's all I'm going to say about this any more, though. Enough derail from me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zari-gani has something extra special for you to watch as you wait in line for your WiiU tonight. How about a little comedy from Japan? At about 7am in the 24 hour challenge there was a small stage show where comedians did some video gamed themed comedy to perk up the Arino and the audience. If you want to know where it fits into the compilation, it comes just after Inoko MAX's wrestling.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 152.49 MB)
View torrent stats

(Direct Download)

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Random Stranger posted:

Zari-gani has something extra special for you to watch as you wait in line for your WiiU tonight. How about a little comedy from Japan? At about 7am in the 24 hour challenge there was a small stage show where comedians did some video gamed themed comedy to perk up the Arino and the audience. If you want to know where it fits into the compilation, it comes just after Inoko MAX's wrestling.

View torrent stats

(Direct Download)

The Wii U comes out tomorrow? That's kind of depressing as I have no plans of buying one any time soon (I would barely be able to afford it). I did camp out in a parking lot for the original Wii though. Twilight Princess was definitely worth it.

Looking forward to whatever this turns out to be. Any GCCX related release certainly brightens my day.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

My girlfriend dumped me today, maybe I should replace her with Manzai. Let's give it a go :unsmith:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

orochi posted:

The Wii U comes out tomorrow? That's kind of depressing as I have no plans of buying one any time soon (I would barely be able to afford it). I did camp out in a parking lot for the original Wii though. Twilight Princess was definitely worth it.

Looking forward to whatever this turns out to be. Any GCCX related release certainly brightens my day.
I know excatly how you feel. :smith::hf::smith:

I'm also waiting to see if it's really as good as it looks. Nintendo Land looks really amazing for a Wii Sports style multiplayer tech demo/minigame collection.

The New Super Mario Bros game looks exactly like the other NSMB games, which is good since if it's not broke, don't fix it, and bad since the style is getting a bit played. So, I'm gonna hold off on that until I can get it for cheap (which will never happen because Mario games never drop in price in this universe).

I dunno which other games will be out at or near launch since I haven't been following it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Obeast posted:

The New Super Mario Bros game looks exactly like the other NSMB games, which is good since if it's not broke, don't fix it, and bad since the style is getting a bit played. So, I'm gonna hold off on that until I can get it for cheap (which will never happen because Mario games never drop in price in this universe).

So far reviews are saying that it looks and sounds the same as all the other NSMBs, which is lazy and bad, but the level design and challenge mode is excellent. Personally the only reason Im not waiting in a Wii U line RIGHT FREEKIN NOW is because of money.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I played the whole line-up they had at E3 and was pretty unimpressed. There was no must have experience for me. That said, I am a sucker for Nintendo stuff and I know I will probably end up grabbing one in the next few months anyway.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

(Direct Download)

...The gently caress did I just watch? Manzai's so weird to me, the only real "comedy duo" that I can think of that's popular in the west are the Sklar brothers.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What the hell was that first segment? Just shouting Virtual Boy over and over again.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
That was not bad AT ALL... I actually like virtual boy btw.

20,000 yen though for a virtual boy seems somewhat excessive though. I remember getting a brand new Virtual Boy with Mario Tennis for $20 USD at a Toys R Us shortly after it had flopped. That was a pretty amazing system.

Sadly not only did I only play Mario Tennis and I never got to experience Wario Land, but I sold the thing for something like $5 usd at a yard sale many years ago. That yard sale has to be one of the darkest memories I have. I sold a super nintendo and quite a few games as well. I was hoping to buy a game boy color, but I only got to rent Castlevania 64 (I bought a memory pack for the N64 as well).

I do still have a few of my original snes games (Revolution X, and Mario All Stars) and my Zelda - Link to the Past box, but the other snes games I have are mostly things I've re-bought over the years. I don't know why my 12 year old self thought I was done with the snes.

Oh well. I suppose it's all good now that I've bought most of that stuff over and more again. Still don't have a virtual boy though. Gosh darn it!

orochi fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 18, 2012

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mister Chief posted:

What the hell was that first segment? Just shouting Virtual Boy over and over again.

:thejoke:

Are you familiar with the virtual boy at all? You don't need a punchline, because the system itself is the punchline!
It was quite succinct, really.

Also, DAAAANCE TIME :slick:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You're right. Doing something unfunny repeatedly sure is hilarious and not at all lazy anti-comedy crap.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Moments where Arino says something seemingly innocuous and the staff laughs really loudly has made me realize there's a lot about Japanese humor I don't understand.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tobaccrow posted:

Moments where Arino says something seemingly innocuous and the staff laughs really loudly has made me realize there's a lot about Japanese humor I don't understand.

Who the hell is that laughing guy, anyway? I swear it's the same guy every time, perpetually hidden off-camera.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Take the Aristocrats joke, replace the family with Nintendo characters and the punchline with "...the Virtual Boy!" just a lil Video Game Humor... i figured my fellow Goons would appreciate, heh :smug:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh my god, that chimera impersonation was so on point that its a shame the rest of the act was so stale, I was really hoping Underline would knock it out of the park.

Tobaccrow posted:

Stuff like that basically boils down to "Thats not how a higher up in a company would act!" as far as I can tell.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 18, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

You're right. Doing something unfunny repeatedly sure is hilarious and not at all lazy anti-comedy crap.

A fair number of Japanese comedians are like this. It's odd because the Japanese don't seem to think they're very funny either.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If all you know of Japanese comedy is GCCX, you're asking a lot of yourself to get why Arino is the way he is, because he plays a role and he plays it textbook.

You don't have to watch other comedy but doing so might help enrich your GCCX experience. The show translates magnificently to English so you don't really need to but if you're the guy who thinks he gets 99% of the show but that 1% still bugs you then look around. 90% of the stuff that's subbed is Gaki no Tsukai or Gaki-related but they're so amazing that you'll still learn a lot and broaden your horizons. I think an easy example would be that when you first start watching the infamous batsu games that even with subs you mainly just appreciate the physical comedy but after re-watching and seeing other shows you'll come to appreciate the periods where they're just left alone in rooms to converse with each other as the pinnacle of each batsu game and where the most hilarious things inevitably happen.

I mean, at the end of the day, without a good knowledge of the language, customs, and culture you can only "get" so much(and I freely admit I don't get everything, not even close, but I understand a lot more than I did 5 years ago when I saw my first batsu game) but GCCX is just the tip of a very funny iceberg. If you ever want to check out some other stuff, head over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426240&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and poke around or ask questions.

Corridor posted:

A fair number of Japanese comedians are like this. It's odd because the Japanese don't seem to think they're very funny either.

The 15 minutes of fame thing happens really often over there, it seems. Someone finds something others find mildly hilarious and puts together a 3 month career where they do nothing but that and when they finally stop getting booked they fade from the limelight. The competition out there seems so fierce that guys just latch on to the slightest bit of success and ride it all the way into the ground without trying to further their comedy along the way.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 18, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though it wasn't an actual episode, it is nice of you guys to give us more translated stuff from the 24 hour challenge. :)

IMO, the best acts in the video were the fairy tale drawings, the Wii Cup Stacker (mostly because cup stacking is actually pretty cool when it's done well), and :slick:DANCE TIME!:slick: The other ones were alright, but not great.

Mister Chief posted:

Yet, half of Family Guy's jokes are pretty much that, and somehow it's still one of the most popular cartoons on TV right now. :smithicide:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 18, 2012

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Obeast posted:

I was sold on the game the instant I learned that it has an actual world map. A proper one, like in Super Mario World.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

...The gently caress did I just watch? Manzai's so weird to me, the only real "comedy duo" that I can think of that's popular in the west are the Sklar brothers.

*sigh* People these days, no respect for the classics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmvkO5x6Ng

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

*sigh* People these days, no respect for the classics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmvkO5x6Ng

Laurel and Hardy for me. I found some old comic book about them when I was 6 and got my parents to rent a VHS and I was sold.

e: That Lou and Costello routine is pretty great though. The jokes are stale but they have the best rapport. How long must it have taken to memorise all that?

e2: I forgot French and Saunders, and Fry and Laurie. And Cook and Moore, and Cheech and Chong...

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I kinda liked the Mario lyrics guys, but none of those groups were anything like the bits of manzai I'm familiar with beyond having two guys there. There's supposed to be like, jokes and stuff, not weird sketches. Though everyone knows all the good stuff is in rakugo anyway. :smugbert:

Crotch Bat posted:

The 15 minutes of fame thing happens really often over there, it seems. Someone finds something others find mildly hilarious and puts together a 3 month career where they do nothing but that and when they finally stop getting booked they fade from the limelight. The competition out there seems so fierce that guys just latch on to the slightest bit of success and ride it all the way into the ground without trying to further their comedy along the way.

Say the line, Bart! :haw: