Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is News Corp. still on the line for bribing a foreign government official?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've put my name in for "The Golden Twit" awards for best political Tweeter, and you can vote for me here, let's totally fix this thing!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So now that the US election is over when we will see some investigations over here?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Brown Moses posted:

I've put my name in for "The Golden Twit" awards for best political Tweeter, and you can vote for me here, let's totally fix this thing!

You're up against an ex glamour model called vix pix whose avatar has her topless.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Mr Cuddles posted:

You're up against an ex glamour model called vix pix whose avatar has her topless.

Challenge accepted. If you Brits can make Rage Against The Machine top the pop charts during Christmas, you can manage this.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Looks like more trouble for Cameron: 'Prominent conservatives urges "genuinely independent" press regulation'

Who subs these?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Brown Moses please tell me you aren't agreeing with that Thurbeck retweet

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Brown Moses please tell me you aren't agreeing with that Thurbeck retweet

God no, just wanted to let my followers know his opinion on the matter, remind everyone he's still around.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

God no, just wanted to let my followers know his opinion on the matter, remind everyone he's still around.

Thank Christ. Thought you'd joined the heckling hacks for a moment there.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Thank Christ. Thought you'd joined the heckling hacks for a moment there.

Credit to Neil Wallis he's been fairly level headed about this, although still a bit butthurt about the whole "NotW being closed" thing.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Credit to Neil Wallis he's been fairly level headed about this, although still a bit butthurt about the whole "NotW being closed" thing.

Yeah, he's at last thrown a compliment newsnight's way.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

With Leveson reporting some time before the end of the month the Daily Mail has gone all out on attacking the Inquiry

Dan Sabbagh's response sums it up well

quote:

They've done it. Full daily mail madness. Insane mega splash alleging a non existent conspiracy loosely related to leveson.
House wives of Lincolnshire get ready to be outraged. Britain's press will be muzzled because the company that owns the ft has unisex loos!

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

New Statesman on it too:

http://www.newstatesman.com/staggers/2012/11/11-amazing-conspiracy-theories-mails-anti-leveson-hatchet-job

Dacre is a turd.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

:shepface:

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Can we get "quasi-masonic nexus" into the thread title?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Holy poo poo, that's one hell of a mouthful of an article title. Are they even trying or are they just going for the poo poo a bunch of poo poo out and hope it sticks method?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

or are they just going for the poo poo a bunch of poo poo out and hope it sticks method?

There are, including that full front-page splash, eleven pages dedicated to this.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Nice one BM

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

On the one hand, smell that sweet, sweet scent of desperation and panic :smuggo:

on the other, savour it because I doubt we're going to get any kind of meaningful statutory regulation.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

A few more days and I'm sure they'll go full David Icke

For those who can't be bothered to read the article, the summary of how it reads is: liberals, liberals, liberals!!!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
These are pretty much what I'd expect the ramblings of a syphilitic mind to be like. It's the textual equivalent of frothing and shouting expletives and nonsense with spittle flying in all directions.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Good to see David Dees get his due respect in the UK. :v:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I like the published/updated difference of 8 hours.

I imagine he finished it, submitted it, went to bed, woke up and his dreams had told him more about the masonic nature of the whole nexus!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

gwaaargh posted:

A few more days and I'm sure they'll go full David Icke

For those who can't be bothered to read the article, the summary of how it reads is: liberals, liberals, liberals!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What are the chances of Cameron being found to have been hammerin' Mizz Brooks?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Literally me in real life.

According to David Leigh on Twitter, the Mail's smear-job on Leveson has faded. Is that the quasi-masonic one?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like the drama-llama is on the way to News Corp, via tabloidtroll

quote:

Hearing Rebekah Wade and her deputy have now conceded reporters were paying individuals with their full knowledge and participation MF
May not sound like very much, but could be of huge significance for the reporters trying to clear their names. #following orders
Added to all that is fact that News International failed to send staff on courses for Bribery Act - when companies across City doing so.
Would also love to know why - as Sue Akers told Leveson on 2nd visit - News International had stopped cooperating with the Met MF.
Then News International resumed full cooperation six weeks later? #email tranches #kittens
Also learned something during course of last week which leaves no doubt what went wrong at News International leads to very top. #shocked.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Considering the gossip in the Eye's Street Of Shame columns about Paul Dacre being desperate to keep his job since apparently Viscount Rothmere is really considering giving him the boot if Leveson's criticism is as bad as it's rumoured to be, I'm not surprised he went for a full on smear job since it's basically his arse on the line.

David Leigh has even said it's been removed completely from the Mail's website this morning. So I guess they realised how pathetic it was and the public didn't bite (Except for the David Icke crowd).

Sex Vicar fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 17, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oh, and The Sun had their own attack on Leveson today as well
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/sun_says/article4508014.ece

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

So I've read a bunch of the Mail's stuff about Common Purpose and apart from it making me feel dirty it really is lacking. A good conspiracy about a shadowy organisation with fingers in lots of pies needs a solid grounding of factual evidence, i.e. where people have actually done things, coupled with a small number of suspensions of disbelief to make the whole thing easy to swallow. Instead they've just jumbled a bunch of things together, switching between different people and organisations so quickly it feels like word salad. I give it only 3 :tinfoil:s out of 10.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've heard more about the news next week, sounds like it could be really huge, even bigger than the Dowler story, with senior News Corp figures involved, hopefully it all pans out.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Brown Moses posted:

I've heard more about the news next week, sounds like it could be really huge, even bigger than the Dowler story, with senior News Corp figures involved, hopefully it all pans out.

It loving better now, you blue-balling bastard!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Meanwhile here's a piece from my regular contributor on Sue Akers' final evidence to the Leveson Inquiry that's worth a read
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/hackgate-sue-akers-swansong.html

More on that from The Guardian and one of my fellow Hackgate bloggers at the Dailykos.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Brown Moses posted:

How something get even bigger than the Dowler story?

Also, thanks for the heads up for the lecture Lord Justice Leveson is giving at Melbourne University via your twitter feed. Would there be any particular questions people here might want to be asked if they provide some kind of avenue for that?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

When I read 'my regular contributor' I think of Deepthroat. One day we'll fine out it some dude who works at No 10 or something

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

spamman posted:

How something get even bigger than the Dowler story?

Also, thanks for the heads up for the lecture Lord Justice Leveson is giving at Melbourne University via your twitter feed. Would there be any particular questions people here might want to be asked if they provide some kind of avenue for that?

I'm hoping that the fact Brian is off to Oz (presumably as soon as his report is out) means a lot of people are going to be really, really pissed off.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tom Watson sez

quote:

@Brown_Moses @jamesro47 @media_mole Oh yes. The rumours. I'm getting some proper sleep in advance.
That would be the 4th well-informed source who has heard about the rumours I've brought up.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Brown Moses posted:

Tom Watson sez

That would be the 4th well-informed source who has heard about the rumours I've brought up.

Interesting. How big could this news be? You've said senior News Corp figures are involved - anyone else (e.g. government officials)?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does Brooks count as a News Corp figure and please let it be an affair story if she does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

God dammit you teases!

• Locked thread